• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Confirmation

Smash Ace
That's....quite a turn of events.

Certainly good news for Geno if it's true.

While I'm not really fond of Vergeben mentioning more characters that aren't Isaac, I like how the box theory is looking like it's on life support now.
I've seen another leak saying 2 SE reps already. Interesting.

Might turn out that Verge is indeed taking info from other leaks

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Time to put the proof in the pudding! What's up Fans of the Golden-headed Boy, I'm here to show support as a someone who is wishing upon the Star Road for his favorite blue puppet, a brother from another mother as it were. I've seen the mock polls: you guys have come in droves to support Issac, and I'm here to to say that I also support him as well. I've never played a Golden Sun game, but that won't stop me from hoping that your Venus Adept makes it into Ultimate. Let it be known that, regardless of what happens, if I see a blonde boy with a sword and alchemy-related powers, I will scream my lungs out in hype for you guys just like I have for Ridley and K.Rool fans.

Us Geno fans are holding Y for Power, so don't lose hope for your boy!

*Does some quick Golden Sun research*

The heroes were reunited in Lost Ages. Let's hope that we can reunite with Issac on Dec 7. 2007 SMASH FANS UNITE!
Thank you! I also hope that everybody can be happy. I'm a little selfish so I can't say I'd be completely satisfied of everyone else got to be happy with Isaac out in the cold again, but I would definitely be happy for everyone who got their characters.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
to quote JustCallMeJon on the geno thread

He, Vergeben, and MasterofHyrule agreed that there will be 2 SE reps. Hyrule claims that one of the two is Sora and the other is Geno..

Hyrule is known for leaking Ultimate stages, most notably Battlefield.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
So apparently Vergeben's sources are saying there's 2 SE reps now
SE isn't gonna get 3 reps when even Sega, and Capcom have 2.

That's quite a imbalance there.

Also that kills the box theory. Over 5. Which wouldn't fit on the box. Told you guys.

And seriously. Minecraft will not get Representation over Banjo. Sakurai is not that sadistic.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
to quote JustCallMeJon on the geno thread

He, Vergeben, and MasterofHyrule agreed that there will be 2 SE reps. Hyrule claims that one of the two is Sora and the other is Geno..

Hyrule is known for leaking Ultimate stages, most notably Battlefield.

If I don't see Vergeben saying he agrees, i don't know where him "agreeing" with it comes from.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
If I don't see Vergeben saying he agrees, i don't know where him "agreeing" with it comes from.
They're all 3rd parties, interesting. Guess that's how these guys are getting their info. Makes sense; much harder to hard something as big as a third party rep vs a first party.

This is good for two reasons. First and foremost, it's good for our Geno buddies! Second, maybe it's just me but a lot of the time Geno's brought up, Isaac is too. They're the old obscure duo! If he gets in, it clears everything out of the way for our boy to get in

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'm hard pressed to believe we're getting more than one more third party rep, let alone TWO from the same company. Ryu and Cloud were both DLC instead of put into the base game. Sakurai gave special attention to Simon/Richter, can't see him just dumping in a bunch of third party guests and not giving them the same treatment. Geno still feels like the only other third party unique newcomer possible to make the base roster.

Also Nintendo reps must be on lockdown or something. With Steve, Ken, and this mysterious Square rep, third parties are just the talk of the town lately lol.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I want to add that while I do not want Steve in Smash mostly because of what N3on said, those claiming Steve would be “generic” are making the same mistake they hate of others when they say “Isaac is a generic swordsman”.

Coming from a game like Minecraft you can quite literally make him do anything you want. I can imagine a moveset where he can destroy parts of the stage and also create blocks as platforms. While a lot of programming work for destructible stages, it would be the most unique moveset ever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think people as misinterpreting Verg's "a 2nd SE character" to mean two new SE characters. To my knowledge, the 2nd character is in addition to Cloud.

Any rumours of three total SE characters are new. Though it seems like there aren't so much claims of Sora and Geno as much as some saying Sora and some saying Geno.

Smashmar2

Smash Cadet
So some comment on youtube mentioned that Ayumi was supposed to be in Melee...is that actually true? I never heard that!

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
I think that the mods of JVC did prove that lapaille d'or was a scam who just edited a screnshot.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
So, for those arguing for Steve...

How would Steve get into Smash?

Not what would he do. How would he get in? What chain of events would lead Sakurai to even consider him, let alone go to Microsoft and ask for him?

tveye

Smash Journeyman
I think people as misinterpreting Verg's "a 2nd SE character" to mean two new SE characters. To my knowledge, the 2nd character is in addition to Cloud.

Any rumours of three total SE characters are new. Though it seems like there aren't so much claims of Sora and Geno as much as some saying Sora and some saying Geno.
It’s like a game of telephone, only going through a Smash hype train. Lots of mixed signals and over eager fans are spreading around heaps of misinformation in this dry season.
People are desperate for some news and a lot of them are just spreading rumors as facts.
I have don’t have a clue how “two Square Enix characters rumored: take with a grain of salt” has spiraled into “Sora and Geno confirmed”.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I want to add that while I do not want Steve in Smash mostly because of what N3on said, those claiming Steve would be “generic” are making the same mistake they hate of others when they say “Isaac is a generic swordsman”.

Coming from a game like Minecraft you can quite literally make him do anything you want. I can imagine a moveset where he can destroy parts of the stage and also create blocks as platforms. While a lot of programming work for destructible stages, it would be the most unique moveset ever.
Banjo just seems more likely. From a fan standpoint, from a smash standpoint, and from the Ballot standpoint.

And yeah. He's a "boring" looking character compared to someone like Isaac imo. But I don't really imagine his moveset being anything other than stiff movements that look awkward when put into a fighting game.

And no, animal crossing at least has smooth movement.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So some comment on youtube mentioned that Ayumi was supposed to be in Melee...is that actually true? I never heard that!
Considered but rejected for being unknown to western audiences. So "supposed to be in" may be a bit strong. Sakurai entertained the idea, as he did for a truckload of candidates. But it never got past a theoretical stage. Not like Lucas or someone who actually was "supposed to be in".

Not what would he do. How would he get in? What chain of events would lead Sakurai to even consider him, let alone go to Microsoft and ask for him?
I'd like to believe it's part and parcel for negotiations for Banjo.

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
I think Sora is highly unlikely. Disney owns him and they are tight fisted ***** when it comes to their IP. Just ask Capcom.

Q-Long

Smash Lord

I'm not arguing -for- steve but there is evidence he will appear in some capacity:

Playable
-leak turns out true
-executives are making sakurai add him (like bayonetta and corrin)
-if minecraft is in, would they really just include a stage or assist trophy?
-popular and would get many kids into smash and nintendo by proxy
-best seller and it's on Switch
-more well known than Banjo and would make MS and Nintendos relationship closer

Not playable
-movements are too passive and not dynamic enough to portray as a playable character
-he isnt a gaming legend like mario, megaman, snake, etc. (He is more of an icon)
-his series is not important to nintendo like final fantasy was
-leaks are not completely accurate (like how Gematsu said Chrom and Chorus boys were playable)
-alot of work would have to be done for a stage construction characteristic
-not a fan favorite like banjo, rage at him would be pretty loud

Delta64

Smash Journeyman

Considering that Sakurai has been doing a good job of listening to what fans want in Smash, it seems unlikely that he would approach Microsoft asking for Steve. Think about it, fan demand got Mega Man in smash in a time when Capcom was not doing really anything with that IP. Also during that time Capcom was releasing quality Monster Hunter titles (several of which made it on Nintendo systems). If Sakurai was going for for a relevant franchise we would have seen Monster Hunter instead of Mega Man. I see Banjo as the one Sakurai would go for here.
Edit: In other words Sakurai knows which guests will bring the most hype to the fans. (I hope)

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I think Sora is highly unlikely. Disney owns him and they are tight fisted ***** when it comes to their IP. Just ask Capcom.
Well actually a representative of Disney actually said they would be willing to work with Nintendo but it was also heavily implied they hadn't been approached yet so if Verge is really claiming Sora his info is likely not correct.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well actually a representative of Disney actually said they would be willing to work with Nintendo but it was also heavily implied they hadn't been approached yet so if Verge is really claiming Sora his info is likely not correct.
Verg isn't claiming Sora.

It’s like a game of telephone, only going through a Smash hype train. Lots of mixed signals and over eager fans are spreading around heaps of misinformation in this dry season.
People are desperate for some news and a lot of them are just spreading rumors as facts.
I have don’t have a clue how “two Square Enix characters rumored: take with a grain of salt” has spiraled into “Sora and Geno confirmed”.
Yeah there's a lot of word twisting going on, as there always is.

D

Deleted member

I guess to summarize this whole thing. Some dude, posted about the Smash roster he had some anime type name? Said characters like Ken and Steve could be in. People asked Vergeben about it and he said he was legit.

He then commented on a Sora support thread and hinted he could be in before deleting the post.

So yeah that's everything. Don't know if this is all true. But we'll see Might have got some stuff wrong.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm not arguing -for- steve but there is evidence he will appear in some capacity:

Playable
-leak turns out true
-executives are making sakurai add him (like bayonetta and corrin)
-if minecraft is in, would they really just include a stage or assist trophy?
-popular and would get many kids into smash and nintendo by proxy
-best seller and it's on Switch
-more well known than Banjo and would make MS and Nintendos relationship closer

Not playable
-movements are too passive and not dynamic enough to portray as a playable character
-he isnt a gaming legend like mario, megaman, snake, etc. (He is more of an icon)
-his series is not important to nintendo like final fantasy was
-leaks are not completely accurate (like how Gematsu said Chrom and Chorus boys were playable)
-alot of work would have to be done for a stage construction characteristic
-not a fan favorite like banjo, rage at him would be pretty loud
But I’m not asking for evidence to his playability. I’m asking for a plausible chain of events that leads to Sakurai choosing him.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
If that sudden 2nd SE rep claim is legit then I could see one being Geno and the other one being another Final Fantasy character.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my biggest takeaway from the past few days is that the info of Vergeben and a few others is all from the rumor mill among gaming press. That is to say, they may well be legit, they may be assumptions based on legit sources, or they may be as fake as any other rumor: they're just working from slightly better information than most of us because they're part of or speak with members of the press. This conversation about Sora right now basically says it all: we've moved on from talking about "an SE rep" to "two SE reps" to "Sora and Geno confirmed" when, for all we know, all that's ever been said is the first line and everything past that is a giant game of telephone. Seems to me Steve and even Incineroar could be the same thing: they might be true based on rumors we've had for quite a while, but they could also just be assumptions based on that old information that have since been passed along as truth.

Personally, this all just strikes me as people getting impatient and hyping up any remotely plausible scraps of info they can find because Smash Ultimate is one of the big releases of the year and the biggest target of rumors in video games. Again, I'm really not seeing what has changed of late other than the original Vergeben leaks getting a lot more credit and thus everyone else riffing on them to deal with the remaining 2.5 months of waiting for release.

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
For the leak from the french guy, I'm just saying he lists 8 more characters to be announced until release. After watching the RelaxAlax video about that blog theory, that also claims that there will be 7-8 more characters AND that they considered Ayumi for Melee..
Not saying it's true, I'm just gonna be watching this one very closely.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
But I’m not asking for evidence to his playability. I’m asking for a plausible chain of events that leads to Sakurai choosing him.
i will be honest with you, if he is playable, here is what im thinking for a chain of events if steve is playable:

1. sakurai wants to a mix of classic fan characters and modern nintendo characters into smash
2. nintendo approaches him with adding steve (like how he most likely was with corrin and bayonetta)
3. he accepts because he has no choice
4. he at least looks at it positively and thinks of all the kids who buy the game cause of steve and then discover fzero, metroid, street fighter, fire emblem, mother, etc. cause of it

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For the leak from the french guy, I'm just saying he lists 8 more characters to be announced until release. After watching the RelaxAlax video about that blog theory, that also claims that there will be 7-8 more characters AND that they considered Ayumi for Melee..
That's insane though. 7-8 characters? I can see 3 or 4 but 7 or 8? That's just baffling. I guess there COULD be 4 unique and 4 echoes but if that did happen Sakurai would've pulled off one hell of a game.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I mean, there's really nothing special about Steve that would make the chain of events leading to his inclusion different from any other character's. Sakurai decides to add him or someone that Sakurai knows suggests it, and he negotiates a deal with the owner.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm in the discord where they theory craft blog theory. Not many of them put any stock in the French leak, but do note that it lines up with blog theory.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Don't bother. The list of characters briefly considered then rejected over the history of Smash is, in all likelihood, no short read, and the reason she was passed over is still alive and kicking, now perhaps more than ever, as Sakurai remains insistent on excluding characters with scant western recognition, the last stated example being Takamaru only a short time ago.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's insane though. 7-8 characters? I can see 3 or 4 but 7 or 8? That's just baffling. I guess there COULD be 4 unique and 4 echoes but if that did happen Sakurai would've pulled off one hell of a game.
And with the whole "don't expect to many newcomers deal", it's just not happening.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
I guess to summarize this whole thing. Some dude, posted about the Smash roster he had some anime type name? Said characters like Ken and Steve could be in. People asked Vergeben about it and he said he was legit.

He then commented on a Sora support thread and hinted he could be in before deleting the post.

So yeah that's everything. Don't know if this is all true. But we'll see Might have got some stuff wrong.
The picture is getting clearer with every time he speaks out about things. That being a picture of him not really knowing anything, simply parroting what he's hearing through the grapevine without truly having a way of vetting and validating information as true or not. Deleting these posts is in realization that he's almost at the deep end of the pool because he's going to start building up contradictions from which there is no return. Once the game's out, no one is really going to care about him, so he's trying to ride the wave into this game release so he can continue building reputation for the next thing.

We've had true leaks in the past, and we've known how they're structured. They're put out there and vindicated in time. This cycle's leaking stuff is chaotic and piecemeal; it's like watching a badly written soap opera. I just find it amazing how much play it's gotten throughout the smash community. You have one dude effectively being the traffic controller for this entire speculation cycle who learned how to do it from staying at a Holiday Inn last night. Just makes all the speculation discussion silly and lifeless until we either see the horrid truth or find it all getting nuked by Sakurai.

Top Bottom