• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
The benefit if a Steve confirmation is a hard de-confirm on the box theory. Thus making people stop bothering with it.

But to add to that. I feel that Steve would encompass all of, or almost all of the casual appeal. I mean we have Isabelle and Inklings(to an extent) But Steve is the ultimate "Kids parents buy buys the game cause Steve's on the box and they love minecraft" inclusion.

After that I feel most if not all inclusions going forward from there would be pure fan service. Isaac, Skull Kid, Rayman, Shantae, Geno, etc, etc.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The benefit if a Steve confirmation is a hard de-confirm on the box theory. Thus making people stop bothering with it.

But to add to that. I feel that Steve would encompass all of, or almost all of the casual appeal. I mean we have Isabelle and Inklings(to an extent) But Steve is the ultimate "Kids parents buy buys the game cause Steve's on the box and they love minecraft" inclusion.

After that I feel most if not all inclusions going forward from there would be pure fan service. Isaac, Skull Kid, Rayman, Shantae, Geno, etc, etc.
Really, it's picking a poison. No box means having Steve over Banjo, or having the box means just Incineroar and Ken, leaving people to twiddle their thumbs until details about Spirits/the launch can arrive.

This is why I believe Sakurai will unknowingly go for a third option in the midst of all of this.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Knowing that the Ken leaker from yesterday could have more surprises...

Do you think that, if they end leaking something important today, for example, would make sakurai to hurry up and announce a smash direct as quick as they can, in order to avoid a entire roster leak before them?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I’d actually rather have the box theory come true than have Steve in Smash in any capacity.

But I agree with KirbyWorshipper, I don’t think Sakurai would let either of those situations unfold.

Rethuic

Smash Apprentice
Really, it's picking a poison. No box means having Steve over Banjo, or having the box means just Incineroar and Ken, leaving people to twiddle their thumbs until details about Spirits/the launch can arrive.

This is why I believe Sakurai will unknowingly go for a third option in the midst of all of this.
Insert Isaac would destroy the box quote and Banjo also getting in

Shin F.

Smash Master
Its not even that they want to believe the leak is right, its like they developed this contrarian love for Steve out of spite of people who would rather see other characters
It's funny. Back in the Smash 4 era, I debated a few times that Steve would make sense as an inclusion due to Minecraft's notoriety and success, and baaasically everyone shot the idea down and said he wasn't worthy. And now that he's possible and perhaps even somewhat likely, people are jumping on him and saying they want him. Kind of goes back to what we were talking about earlier in the thread about Incineroar and somewhat Skull Kid, where people will support a character just because they think they're likely, regardless of if they supported them before or not.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oh my god, were we talking about the NeoGAF leak again? Look, I'd love it to be real, because Isaac, but there's never been a character included, even as a clone, that's made less sense than Soren.

Soren was never topping any popularity polls, he's never been a main character, his games are old at this point, he's a poor fit for an echo, at best, and he's just random af. Honestly that in and of itself should be a dead giveaway.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I’d actually rather have the box theory come true than have Steve in Smash in any capacity.

But I agree with KirbyWorshipper, I don’t think Sakurai would let either of those situations unfold.
I hate to break it to you. But Minecraft is one of the best selling, highest earning, widest reaching, and overall biggest games in history. A Steve inclusion is justified by any metric presented by smash's other 3rd party picks. He's iconic(or rather, the game itself is) It's strongly associated with Nintendo, it's known by many people, and it's had a impact on gaming at large. Why is every triple A game ever open world now? Because Minecraft sold gangbusters for simply giving players ridiculous amounts of freedom, and publishers wanted to cash in on that trend.

It's honestly a lot harder to argue against Steve then it is to argue for him. The points for him make themselves. The only thing that really comes to mind is minecrafts popularity in Japan, which staggered at first. But even then, right now it's huge over there and has been for a couple years.

Personally i'm neutral on the inclusion. I wouldn't care if he's added. I wouldn't care if he isn't added. I do however see all the merits of the inclusion. Chief among them being killing the Box theory completely, consuming the causal appeal so that other inclusions are focused on fan service, and potentially opening an avenue for Banjo at a later point. (Think Cloud's impact in smash 4 on Geno's chances for this game)

Last edited:

Rethuic

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, were we talking about the NeoGAF leak again? Look, I'd love it to be real, because Isaac, but there's never been a character included, even as a clone, that's made less sense than Soren.

Soren was never topping any popularity polls, he's never been a main character, his games are old at this point, he's a poor fit for an echo, at best, and he's just random af. Honestly that in and of itself should be a dead giveaway.
There is a part of me that sorta thinks that the Neogaf link meant Sora from Kingdom Hearts... but it specifically stated echo and Sora is also quite unlikely.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I hate to break it to you. But Minecraft is one of the best selling, highest earning, widest reaching, and overall biggest games in history. A Steve inclusion is justified by any metric presented by smash's other 3rd party picks. He's iconic(or rather, the game itself is) It's strongly associated with Nintendo, it's known by many people, and it's had a impact on gaming at large. Why is every triple A game ever open world now? Because Minecraft sold gangbusters for simply giving players ridiculous amounts of freedom, and publishers wanted to cash in on that trend.

It's honestly a lot harder to argue against Steve then it is to argue for him. The points for him make themselves. The only thing that really comes to mind is minecrafts popularity in Japan, which staggered at first. But even then, right now it's huge over there and has been for a couple years.

Personally i'm neutral on the inclusion. I wouldn't care if he's added. I wouldn't care if he isn't added. I do however see all the merits of the inclusion. Chief among them being killing the Box theory completely, consuming the causal appeal so that other inclusions are focused on fan service, and potentially opening an avenue for Banjo at a later point. (Think Cloud's impact in smash 4 on Geno's chances for this game)
Reposting my thoughts on this from another thread

I haven't been talking much on Steve but here's my two cents.

Yes, he's obviously an icon. Minecraft practically created the sandbox genre. Yes, there's an obvious legacy because he was the biggest Indie success, to the point of actually not becoming an Indie anymore. Is he reasonable as a character choice? Sure. Marketing reasons, popularity reasons, bonding even more with Microsoft reasons, etc.

That doesn't stop him from being a bad character in my eyes, though. First, he would be horribly generic. Sword, bow, shield would be key parts to his design, pickaxe (which is admittedly hardly different than a sword in a fighting game) if lucky. Potions and TNT are more interesting potential moves, but TNT would likely be like Snake's mines or Link's bombs, which isn't too unique. Potions have potential, but that would probably be a Side-B option if they don't have him swing an axe or pickaxe or something, and would probably be Harming, which is a little boring.

Asthetically, it's hard to make him work. The biggest thing about is design is being blocky and stiff, but he isn't like Game & Watch where his animations could still be fluid despite being different. You could do a Telltale kind of design, sure, but that's another can of worms.

On top of my percieved movepools and animation issues is the admittedly questionable reputation Minecraft has in the gaming community nowadays. It's more and more considered a negative thing since it went mainstream from what I've seen. Sarcastic joking, little kids game, YouTuber bait, etc. The only game I can think of that has equal or greater universal disdain is Fortnite.

Now, take all this and think of Smash speculation and Smash in general. People don't care as much about relevance and more about liking the character, their games, and what cool crazy things they can do. This is why I don't think he fits here. When people bring up Steve, he's below meme picks like Sans or Shrek; the response is basically universal seething disgust. People enjoyed the game, but there's no attachment to Steve outside of that because he's a blank, unseeable Avatar. The game has a tainted reputation, and there's not much about him that makes him super crazy (think top picks. Skull Kid is a demonic wizard basically, Isaac is an Earthbender, Geno is a puppet with a gun hand, Shantae is half-genie and can use magic and transform, Ridley is a massive evil dragon thing, K. Rool is an alligator with a cannon, Banjo is a tag team duo with various powers, Steve place blocks?, use a pickaxe bow and sword, maybe potions, maybe TNT. None of that stands out like rest). People have a perceived notion that his existence also would endanger Banjo & Kazooie's ability to be playable, and they're infinitely more popular than him, and that adds onto why people would hate his addition. If he got in, he would undoubtedly be the most despised newcomer in Smash history. You thought Isabelle's reaction was bad? This would be orders of magnitude worse.

In short, I just don't think Steve would be a good fit in Smash.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Minecraft is not associated with Nintendo.

At best, it's accoicated with Microsoft or the PC.

And Steve isn't "iconic". It's the world around him that's iconic.

Banjo > Steve. The Banjo fans have waited long enough, and I won't accept that Steve would come in before Banjo.

StormC

Smash Hero

Personally I don’t like the argument of “this game has sold enough so they warrant being in Smash.” Why not have a Call Of Duty soldier playable? It’s the highest selling series not in Smash.

I’d like to see arguments for characters that don’t amount to corporate bottom lines.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we do end up getting Steve, I'd also like the box theory to be true at this point. I mean I've been ready to pounce on this game ever since E3, even if what we saw then was the content complete version, but mostly because that way Steve can show up as DLC, granting people the option of passing on his inclusion. I don't want him on the roster (wouldn't mind a stage or Creeper AT or something though) but obviously he would have his fans (mostly younger ones, I suspect).

It's just unfortunate, because if he had even a slightly better design, one slightly more conducive to Smash, I really wouldn't care either way. And really the main reason I'm not more down on Steve is because he's friends with the bear...

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Minecraft is Smash is like a terrible meme that is coming true. Minecraft was not my gen, I have no real connection to it. I played it, I enjoyed it. However, Steve as a fighter? No, I feel like there are plenty of other fighters from that generation that would fit in better for Smash. A Minecraft stage? Eh, could be like mario maker, a minecraft AT? I could see it, however, I think minecraft won't blend well with Smash.

I could see a trophy and that's pretty much it. Same thing Rayman got for Smash 4

Maybe if I grew up with it, I would want it more.

Personally I don’t like the argument of “this game has sold enough so they warrant being in Smash.” Why not have a Call Of Duty soldier playable? It’s the highest selling series not in Smash.

I’d like to see arguments for characters that don’t amount to corporate bottom lines.
50 Cent: Bulletproof sold nearly 1.2 million copies so I would honestly love to see him in Smash over Steve Minecraft

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
If we do end up getting Steve, I'd also like the box theory to be true at this point. I mean I've been ready to pounce on this game ever since E3, even if what we saw then was the content complete version, but mostly because that way Steve can show up as DLC, granting people the option of passing on his inclusion. I don't want him on the roster (wouldn't mind a stage or Creeper AT or something though) but obviously he would have his fans (mostly younger ones, I suspect).

It's just unfortunate, because if he had even a slightly better design, one slightly more conducive to Smash, I really wouldn't care either way. And really the main reason I'm not more down on Steve is because he's friends with the bear...
I seriously doubt the Box Theory is true, NEON.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I underestimated just how greatly people hate Steve. Despite potential benefits down the line, lol. I saw people talking about it a few posts back with disdain. But I had no idea it was that strong. Debating just deleting the posts.

Allow me to reiterate that I don't actively support the inclusion. Nor do I actively hold disdain. Purely neutral on the subject. I'm just looking for silver linings where I can.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There is a part of me that sorta thinks that the Neogaf link meant Sora from Kingdom Hearts... but it specifically stated echo and Sora is also quite unlikely.
Yeah, Sora being an echo is within the same realm of never-gonna-happen as Soren being included.

I think Soren is just a result of this guy trying to add one of Smash's token "unpredictable" characters. Thing is, even the unpredictable ones make sense.

I seriously doubt the Box Theory is true, NEON.
That wasn't the point of my post.

Last edited:

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
The problem I kinda have with Steve would be how Sakurai wants him to be if he decides to make him playable.

Like I could see him placing blocks everywhere to annoy you as an assist trophy, but as for the move pool as a whole Confirmation Confirmation already stated my problem a little. I can't see him doing aerials in each direction xD

But well Sakurai can make anything work if he wants to. I personally would love other characters to have the spot over him, but as long as we finally can get Isaac I couldn't care less.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I mentioned that 4chan was supposed to have a video leak with Steve or someone in it, though there have been a lot of rick-rolls.
I think the time the person said they'd post it has passed now. So it's not looking likely.

I feel like people are unusually gullible this time around. Critical thinking seems to have flown out the window.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I disagree on a couple of points.

1. Minecraft is not by any means associated with Nintendo. It’s a console-agnostic (plus PC and mobile), indie title owned by Microsoft. It’s as associated with Nintendo as Fortnite is.

2. Every triple A game has been trying to be open-world since GTA III in 2001, nowadays the go-to formula is Skyrim’s. Not to say that Minecraft hasn’t spawned a lot of copycats, but it’s impact is nowhere near what you’re claiming it is.

3. The avenue for Banjo is already open, no need for Steve to do that.

4. There is no inherent need for ‘casual appeal’ to be consumed for other fan-favored characters to get in, as this game has been constantly marketed as fanservice based. Even then, the argument could be made that Inkling, Isabelle, or Incineroar would do the same with less backlash.

5. I despise the argument that big sales = character representation. Call of Duty is an absolutely massive franchise with many memorable characters, so Soap should be in Smash. GTA is another massive franchise and V is the fastest selling and most profitable entertainment product ever, give us Michael De Santa with Franklin and Trevor as Echoes. Five Nights at Freddie’s, PUBG and Fortnite were phenomenons that the casual audience would immediately recognize, they should have playable characters too. And so on and so forth.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I disagree on a couple of points.

1. Minecraft is not by any means associated with Nintendo. It’s a console-agnostic (plus PC and mobile), indie title owned by Microsoft. It’s as associated with Nintendo as Fortnite is.

2. Every triple A game has been trying to be open-world since GTA III in 2001, nowadays the go-to formula is Skyrim’s. Not to say that Minecraft hasn’t spawned a lot of copycats, but it’s impact is nowhere near what you’re claiming it is.

3. The avenue for Banjo is already open, no need for Steve to do that.

4. There is no inherent need for ‘casual appeal’ to be consumed for other fan-favored characters to get in, as this game has been constantly marketed as fanservice based. Even then, the argument could be made that Inkling, Isabelle, or Incineroar would do the same with less backlash.

5. I despise the argument that big sales = character representation. Call of Duty is an absolutely massive franchise with many memorable characters, so Soap should be in Smash. GTA is another massive franchise and V is the fastest selling and most profitable entertainment product ever, give us Michael De Santa with Franklin and Trevor as Echoes. Five Nights at Freddie’s, PUBG and Fortnite were phenomenons that the casual audience would immediately recognize, they should have playable characters too. And so on and so forth.
I disagree with most of your counterpoints. But I won't post rebuttals as it would only further derail the thread. This is the Isaac thread. lol.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I underestimated just how greatly people hate Steve. Despite potential benefits down the line, lol. I saw people talking about it a few posts back with disdain. But I had no idea it was that strong. Debating just deleting the posts.

Allow me to reiterate that I don't actively support the inclusion. Nor do I actively hold disdain. Purely neutral on the subject. I'm just looking for silver linings where I can.
Nah I think he has a decent chance objectively.

Reasons he could be in
+popular
+money
+collab with MC developers
+get alot of kids into Nintendo by proxy (only net positive I see from his inclusion

Hes not in
+leak isnt 100% true (could be a stage instead)
+his movements are too static
+rage (this will die out eventually though)
+mario, pikachu, link, and sonic will already gurantee this game sells alot of copies already

I just would prefer way more characters then him.

I understand though. You're not saying you want him in. You're saying he has a chance. Sometimes people mix the two up.

On a side note if hes in, guaranteed hes on the box cover. It would be jarring seeing him with legends like snake, mario, samus, etc. Hes more of an icon than a legend.

I disagree with most of your counterpoints. But I won't post rebuttals as it would only further derail the thread. This is the Isaac thread. lol.
Oops just saw this. Sorry guys lol

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Minecraft is a phenomenon in excess of almost any other series, it's played ball with Nintendo, and it has an identifiable if not incredibly mundane leading character. Frankly that's enough to have an inclusion that makes sense. Peoples' main hangup with Steve is aesthetically he's a jarring, perhaps unsuited fit for Smash. His pedigree, justifiably, isn't the part typically in question.

And to compare him to Soap from CoD or any one-off from GTA is honestly ridiculous. However, if those series had a more stable leading character, you'd see them a more recurring Smash request. Look at Doomguy.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I have to say I feel the same about Steve as well. Just really despise the idea in general.

More so on the line of reasoning that we still have a backlog of characters that should be in a smash game long before we ever get something like Minecraft Steve. People have said it before, but let's get the glaring Nintendo characters in before we start adding in youtube games, shall we? It's the very scary prospect for me that you could possibly have Minecraft Steve in and NOT Isaac that just bugs the hell out of me.

And while I'm not as big a fan of other characters, I would feel the same way for other fanbases like Bandana Waddle Dee and Geno who have been waiting in line for this party for much much longer than Steve. Actually for some characters even longer than Minecraft has been a thing in existence altogether. That's the part that would disgust me. I'm already sort of teetering on the edge with multiple inclusions of characters from Capcom, Konami, Sega and Bandai-Namco and that might push me off that cliff. Let's hope that's not the reality. Like another user brought up, I can understand where it's coming from, but that doesn't mean I have to like it in the least.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice

I've never been for or against Steve myself, but I have no idea how he would "dance"(Move around) in game.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I'll post my same reasoning over that I did over there.

When thinking of Minecraft, what do you think of?
Steve? No.
You think of an expansive world, you think of creepers, you think of annoying archer skeletons, you think of exploration, creation. It's a first person based game, unless you change it to third person.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
I'd actually like him as an AT but i'd despice him to be a character at this point.

I'm actually even skeptical about Thirds as a whole (except for Sonic because he has a History with the Mario Franchise), not because i don't like Simon or Mega Man, but because i think that First Party Chars in an Nintendo All Star Game should have Priority over Thirds.
Me personally, i think it doesn't do Chars like Isaac, K Rool, Dixie or even Waluigi (even though his Fanbase is questionable at times) Justice, to being basically valued less by their own company than Chars like Cloud or Snake, who barely have any Association with Nintendo, are.

But when it comes to Steve it is something different. Not only that he doesn't have that much History with Nintendo, but he doesn't really have that much of a moveset potential that even a weird pick like the Wii Fit Trainer has.

Him getting in BEFORE one of the Characters i mentioned above, is imho an insult to those Characters, their creators and their Fans, because your basically saying that a compilation of blocks (which he basically is) with the Movement of a Lego Figure does have more appeal for a Fighting Game, than someone like for example Isaac or Geno has.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Minecraft in Smash is fine by me as long as it's a stage and/or AT rep. Honestly, as a few others here have pointed out, Minecraft is about the world you make and explore, not the character you use since that is YOU. Also, you can change skins for Steve to fit your liking (I always choose the Juno skin from Jet Force Gemini because I gotta have my JFG fix somehow, dang it!). Heck, a Minecraft world section in the single player mode makes a lot more sense than Steve as a PC. Also, an Ender Dragon boss would be a lot of fun to fight against as Isaac.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Minecraft in Smash is fine by me as long as it's a stage and/or AT rep. Honestly, as a few others here have pointed out, Minecraft is about the world you make and explore, not the character you use since that is YOU. Also, you can change skins for Steve to fit your liking (I always choose the Juno skin from Jet Force Gemini because I gotta have my JFG fix somehow, dang it!). Heck, a Minecraft world section in the single player mode makes a lot more sense than Steve as a PC. Also, an Ender Dragon boss would be a lot of fun to fight against as Isaac.
Agreed, to be honest Creeper is even more iconic than Steve in minecraft itself. So a creeper AT would be good enough imo.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace

Nah, your opinions are fine.

I think people really underestimate how much people hate the idea of characters getting in s

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Steve can get in on the one condition that Isaac is in first.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I don’t think Steve is a very good fit for smash, but as long as the heavily requested fighters like Isaac get in first, I wouldn’t complain.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
If both Geno and Isaac get in (and i'll also add shantae if she's in)

i'll probably have them, K. Rool and Ridley doing something both hilarious and celebratory

any ideas?

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see how much everyone wants to see Isaac. Normally I am not the one to say who deserves to be in or not, but to me Isaac rly deserves to be in before Steve if he is gonna make it.

We've waited for 10 long years, so they can surely wait for a few weeks/months lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom