• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
To be fair, we have 3 mature rated game series in Smash now. But then again, those two series are definitely not the types of mature that would appear in Smash. I am more expecting something along the lines of Doomguy or Travis Touchdown for our next rated M character.
Although at least those characters....y'know.... have clothes lmao.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's what I meant lol. At least the characters in Smash have clothing xD
My bad, I got confused. I don't think Isaac's lack of clothing would stop him, rather the more stiff competition for an indie rep as well as leaning super hard on dark religious theme's.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what makes an assist stay or go. Saki made the leap to 4 when Isaac didn't. And now Isaac's been brought from Brawl to Ultimate, and it's Saki's turn to disappear. Also Kid Icarus got two assists in 4, but only one of them made it back. Either way, I kind of hope after NoA's shock... that Isaac's assist is here to stay and not mysteriously gone again for no reason. Imagine having to rally just so his assist doesn't get cut, on top of already trying to get our foot in the door for playability.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to what makes an assist stay or go. Saki made the leap to 4 when Isaac didn't. And now Isaac's been brought from Brawl to Ultimate, and it's Saki's turn to disappear. Also Kid Icarus got two assists in 4, but only one of them made it back. Either way, I kind of hope after NoA's shock... that Isaac's assist is here to stay and not mysteriously gone again for no reason. Imagine having to rally just so his assist doesn't get cut, on top of already trying to get our foot in the door for playability.
I hope that this convinces Nintendo to bump his inclusion from an assist to a fighter more than anything later down the line whether it may be in smash ultimate or smash 6 ( if we take that part about Polar's source to be true). I also want Nintendo to have more faith in franchises people have long awaited new games for in years.

Last edited:

Amtoj

Smash Rookie
I think Isaac's spirit is a blessing in disguise. He's one of the best primaries in the game of his type, and that means everyone's going to be using him all the time. Well, I know I made him a core part of my team as soon as I got him. The only strange thing about all this is adult Isaac being more prominent than his usual self.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I think Isaac's spirit is a blessing in disguise. He's one of the best primaries in the game of his type, and that means everyone's going to be using him all the time. Well, I know I made him a core part of my team as soon as I got him. The only strange thing about all this is adult Isaac being more prominent than his usual self.
This is something I just thought of myself.

I might pull an Ash Ketchum and never evolve my Isaac to be his older self. :pikachu:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I really love the fact that Isaac (especially Adult Isaac) is considered one of the best Spirits in the game. Like you said, a lot of people will definitely be using him a lot. We can definitely use this to our advantage to get more people on board on the idea of bringing Golden Sun back! Heck, even get people to want Isaac in via DLC. Only good things can come from this as long as we stay active and make our voices heard constantly.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
This is something I just thought of myself.

I might pull an Ash Ketchum and never evolve my Isaac to be his older self.
My plan was to get two copies of Isaac (this is possible, right?) and upgrade one to ultra-powerful beard version while leaving the other in the younger version

ZelDan

Smash Master
My plan was to get two copies of Isaac (this is possible, right?) and upgrade one to ultra-powerful beard version while leaving the other in the younger version
Oh. If it's possible to get multiple spirits then nevermind, I'll evolve one atleast.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Oh. If it's possible to get multiple spirits then nevermind, I'll evolve one atleast.
Yeah, you get get Isaac naturally via WoL, but he can also be summoned by sacrificing Garet, Mia and Ivan Spirits. It’s a process, but if he’s as good as people say he is, then I guess it makes sense.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-the-next-super-smash-bros-could-come-in-10-years/amp/

I’m not sure if any of you have seen this but we now have a definitive time frame for when to expect Smash 6!

With this in mind I now find it hard to believe we won’t be getting a Wave 2 of DLC because I can’t see Ultimate getting no new content for approximately 8 and a half years.

Anyways, assuming Isaac still doesn’t make the cut if Wave 2 happens at least we know how much time we have to hopefully get Nintendo to remake the original Golden Sun games or even get GS4.

Of course I appreciate the amount of GS content in Ultimate but this is not the time to settle! We must be vocal to bring our series back to prominence!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
https://nintendosoup.com/sakurai-the-next-super-smash-bros-could-come-in-10-years/amp/

I’m not sure if any of you have seen this but we now have a definitive time frame for when to expect Smash 6!

With this in mind I now find it hard to believe we won’t be getting a Wave 2 of DLC because I can’t see Ultimate getting no new content for approximately 8 and a half years.

Anyways, assuming Isaac still doesn’t make the cut if Wave 2 happens at least we know how much time we have to hopefully get Nintendo to remake the original Golden Sun games or even get GS4.

Of course I appreciate the amount of GS content in Ultimate but this is not the time to settle! We must be vocal to bring our series back to prominence!
Honestly I don't know why but I feel this game could go up to 100 characters that would be an insane selling point but thats just me being crazy

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I hope that this convinces Nintendo to bump his inclusion from an assist to a fighter more than anything later down the line whether it may be in smash ultimate or smash 6 ( if we take that part about Polar's source to be true). I also want Nintendo to have more faith in franchises people have long awaited new games for in years.
I feel like Isaac's best chances are in the future waves of Ultimate DLC if anything. If they had a change of heart after seeing the reactions, can't see why they'd specifically hold Isaac all the way till Smash 6, knowing he's wanted now. Of course this is assuming a new game isn't in the works to come out, his chances should be better in Smash 6. Well aside from Sakurai just straight up never wanting to choose him no matter what lol.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Sub-Zero ~cough~cough~
Heck if a MK fighter can make it in then Doom Slayer is still in the running imo lol. Both would need watered down to the point of being only water left in the cup with some pink residue where the blood and gore used to be.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Honestly I don't want to wait another ten years just to hope certain characters will have a chance then. Nuts to Assist Trophies, if there's demand for x character to be playable they should make x character playable.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Ah Ha! The “Isaac For Smash” train is still going, Adepts. It may have slowed down since November, but we can easily get it picking up again. In the meantime, we keep pushing for Golden Sun to return!

Heck if a MK fighter can make it in then Doom Slayer is still in the running imo lol. Both would need watered down to the point of being only water left in the cup with some pink residue where the blood and gore used to be.
I, unironically, would like to see Doom Guy/Slayer. Been a big fan of Doom since the beginning and love the new one. Can’t wait for Eternal either! But at the same time, I wouldn’t mind if he never gets in. He’s one of those characters that go either way for me. Sora has also become that type for me recently, even though he’s still on my top list.

Since Melee, I only had three characters I wanted in Smash the most: Sonic, Isaac, & Simon. Isaac is now the last character I desire to have in the Smash roster. Once he’s in, I can finally relax and just support other characters normally.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe Nintendo will stop after wave 1 specially if it is successful as it is looking out to be with how much hype Joker caused and Reggie's word that the announcements are meant to be like that. Nintendo doesn't tipically support their games for long but it just seems off for Ultimate to have less DLC waves than 4 (considering the Wii u numbers and all..) and because of Sakurai's words of at least 10 years down the road for another game it makes it even less unlikely to stay with only one pack of DLC.
There is also the empty slots that came out with the data mining to take into account too. I certainly hope this is the game the AT rule is finally broken by upgrading the most wanted ATs to playable

Edit :spelling

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here’s a topic for you all. Nintendo announced that there will be Spirit events in Smash. Imagine if they did a Golden Sun event? What kind of event do you want it to be?

Hopefully, they'll just keep the game project going until at least 2021, at the minimum. Unlike the Wii U, the Switch is a healthy and thriving console, with a lot of financial potential for Nintendo to make money off of characters, game modes, and other assets for Smash. It would be kinda lame to sell things besides the Fighters Pass, but considering how they removed all the third party Mii Fighter costumes, it is only inevitable how they'll bring them all back at a later point for resale or for download.

Man, I wished I could freeze some screenshots during Training mode. Of the 26-28 ATs I originally pegged as contenders for that fighting mode, 20 of them have the "getting beaten up" mechanics all set up, as well as some offensive mechanics. They just need some additional refinement, and volia! You got yourself AT promotion, or that AT fighting mode, at the very least.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see how Advance Wars is lower priority than Sable Prince, Devil, Sheriff, among other super niche AT's. I don't buy that at all.
I don't know what you buy then but you know Assist Trophies are technically items, right? It can be just they preferred some of their effects better.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
100 Smash characters and still no Isaac would just feel wrong to me. They really should just make him DLC if there is more than one wave, which I now feel certain there is. Chrom can be basically everything, why can't Isaac?

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
100 Smash characters and still no Isaac would just feel wrong to me. They really should just make him DLC if there is more than one wave, which I now feel certain there is. Chrom can be basically everything, why can't Isaac?
Chrom is the MVP of Smash lmao! Playable character, Spirit, Mii Costume, a Final Smash and appears to be top tier right now. Wow, he definitely got more than his “chance another day.”

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Tourney #3 results: placed in top 16 again only to accidentally sd by air dodging to the ledge but barely missing it. Lost to a rob player in winners given my disadvantage with zoners and I fought 4 inkling players! I managed to beat all 4 so Inkling is thankfully not an issue for my main Diddy Kong. Some guys loved my costume and I’ll make sure to tweet my competitive journey to Nintendo of America and the Takeshi brothers as suggested by one of my followers. I’m hitting the books tomorrow to improve my mental game and knowledge of matchups and technical skill. Thanks for the support so far fellow adepts!

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
View attachment 182823View attachment 182824
Tourney #3 results: placed in top 16 again only to accidentally sd by air dodging to the ledge but barely missing it. Lost to a rob player in winners given my disadvantage with zoners and I fought 4 inkling players! I managed to beat all 4 so Inkling is thankfully not an issue for my main Diddy Kong. Some guys loved my costume and I’ll make sure to tweet my competitive journey to Nintendo of America and the Takeshi brothers as suggested by one of my followers. I’m hitting the books tomorrow to improve my mental game and knowledge of matchups and technical skill. Thanks for the support so far fellow adepts!
Someones gotta make it too the top might as well be you let's go yo

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Everyone who is at the top started at the bottom. As long as you keep pushing, learning, training, etc, you’ll reach the top yourself. You have all our support, man! :b:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff man. You're getting there without a doubt!

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Consider yourself supported! I don't have the game yet but when I do I am going to be using the Mii for online and tourneys if possible!

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
Watching your journey into prominence is going to be exciting, I can tell it now. In years, we'll be telling stories of that crazy guy who promoted Isaac at Smash Tournies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Finally got a hold of all the GS content in the game. Spent the last little bit of WoL solely rocking Isaac/Adult Isaac spirit (unless I needed stage immunity).

*spoilers*
It's a bummer the fight doesn't show up until so late into WoL. I even would've considered summoning him by spending my other GS spirits, but Garet never felt like showing up on the Spirit board, took until I was well past 1000 spirits. :p
*end spoilers*

I wouldn't put much stock into that timeframe, it's really just Sakurai musing. I mean, if Nintendo is content to let Smash go a decade without a new iteration, then sure, but as soon as we get a new console, even Sakurai admitted Nintendo will want a new Smash. And I put that at less than a decade away.

That said, at least now Sakurai will probably have time for a non-Smash project in the interim. :)

hustler713

Smash Apprentice

Smash came out very early in the switches lifecycle. Higher ups at Nintendo already said that they aim for a 10 years lifecycle for the switch. Me personally, i think a second wave and mayve even a third is a lock. Maybe even a few free echoes.

Not only is Smash a system seller itself, but it's Nintendos most important conpetetive Game and their entry fee into the e sports market and one of the best ways to advertise new games. They will want to support the game for at least the half of the generation.

There will be more than one wave. Even if they're not done by sakurai.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Smash came out very early in the switches lifecycle. Higher ups at Nintendo already said that they aim for a 10 years lifecycle for the switch. Me personally, i think a second wave and mayve even a third is a lock. Maybe even a few free echoes.

Not only is Smash a system seller itself, but it's Nintendos most important conpetetive Game and their entry fee into the e sports market and one of the best ways to advertise new games. They will want to support the game for at least the half of the generation.

There will be more than one wave. Even if they're not done by sakurai.
That’s is all assuming Sakurai doesn’t see fit to work on a non smash project following the completion of season 1. Which is the most likely scenario. The only way dlc continues is if someone takes the reins after season 1. Why do I make this assumption? Because you can’t have a huge budget world class dev team rolling out dlc for 3 years when corporate would more then likely want them to an new game to cash out big time again. The mere act of holding the smash team together for that long is an amazingly expensive prospect alone. Led alone pumping out dlc. Which many actively anticipate to be third parties. Which require licensing contracts. And collaborations with the original developer.....

The point I said making smash....smash is a game design and legal agreement god send. By all conventional design logic, it shouldn’t be feasible. But here we are. We can’t just expect them to keep pumping out content for the same game year in and year out. It will eventually lead to diminishing returns, as the sales slow down. And additions put forward in such a scenario would more or less eliminate any selling point for a sequel. Why add Crash bandicoot or Sora as dlc when you can make them the mega hype additions of the Next game? There is a method to the madness here. The most you could realistically hope for is a season 2. But the time frame there would take us to 2021 when distribution finishes. And that’s point they’d have been working on this one game for half a decade. Or 9 if you consider that smash 4 was the freamwork by which ultiamte was built upon. Working on one game for that long is simply...boring. And creatively draining. Even if you are working on a series this high a caliber. I’m sorry but I just can’t see the situation people propose when they put forward ideas for future seasons. Maybe one, with a heavily reduced team and Sakurai not leading. But certainly not the full workloads.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't know why but I feel this game could go up to 100 characters that would be an insane selling point but thats just me being crazy
It's crazy but this is also Sakurai. Going way beyond what was thought possible is kinda his thing. :p

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like some third parties would rather have their characters be DLC, since they could get a direct cut of the sales.

The fact that they have 30 slots for dlc characters makes me think there will be a second wave at least. Even if you argue that its just padding it still seems like overkill for 5 dlc characters. If nothing else it makes it look like they're keeping their options open.

Is Piranha Plant included in the 30 dlc slots?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like some third parties would rather have their characters be DLC, since they could get a direct cut of the sales.

The fact that they have 30 slots for dlc characters makes me think there will be a second wave at least. Even if you argue that its just padding it still seems like overkill for 5 dlc characters. If nothing else it makes it look like they're keeping their options open.

Is Piranha Plant included in the 30 dlc slots?
Yes, PP is. Also, special costumes like gender options can cause a character to take multiple slots.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

Plenty of time for a new Golden Sun release to come out, and plenty of time for several years to pass after that so Sakurai can ignore Golden Sun again. (Dark Dawn and SSB4 is a prime example of this).

It's nice to have optimism and all, but I think the above scenario is highly realistic if a new Golden Sun release should even happen. I don't know what Golden Sun even has to do to prove itself at this point. =(

What if they made an assist trophy promotion ballot for season 2 (assuming there is one) DLC picks? I would be so disappointed if we didn’t win that.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
That is the issue though. A lesser known character is not playable because their series is dead, their series is dead because not enough people know it exists, not enough people know the series exists because their character is not playable in Smash. It is a loop. Smash also can bring a series back to life, but we do need to figure out if Sakurai could actually make Isaac work in the first place. I mean he couldn't make any of these characters work:
  • Isaac
  • Skull Kid
  • Zero
  • Knuckles
  • Shadow
  • Dixie Kong
  • Spring Man
  • Takamaru
  • Magnus
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
It really isn't that hard developing movesets when you look at their games.
Takamaru was cut from Smash 4 due to not being known as well by Americans/Anyone outside Japan

Top Bottom