• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Is it just me or is there too much GS representation in the game to JUST be a coincidence? I really think Nintendo now knows how much GS is loved

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is it just me or is there too much GS representation in the game to JUST be a coincidence? I really think Nintendo now knows how much GS is loved
Oh its definitely not a coincidence. Its got more content than ARMS. About on part with Rhythm Heaven, another semi-big franchise, which is actually "relevant" as well.

"GS has a lot of characters!"

So does Advance Wars. Advance Wars has a ton of CO's, but they didn't include even include two of the three main CO's, namely Sami and Max. Only Andy, Olaf, and Eagle are in.

Not saying anyone is making this argument, but its easy to see why the argument doesn't work. They could've easily added every single playable ARMS character, but they didn't, only five got in. GS has all the most notable characters--every party member from GS1 and the main protagonists of the other two games. (Jenna can technically count for both. She's the main character for the opening of Lost Age and has her own battle music, and she's a temporary party member in GS1.)

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I still remember when this post only had 80 pages... and now goes for 800 pages (close to 900...).

I left because I wanted to play the game without knowing everything like Sakurai wanted to do. Though I was spoiled some of the new characters (and I spoiled myself if Isaac was going to be a playable character after the last direct), at least I didn't know there was going to be an adventure mode, the spirits and the arcade one with the bosses (and I'm sure I don't still know all of them). Also, I had to read twice when I discovered that the first dlc character was a ****ing Piranha plant xD (and I need to corroborate with some friends...).

First at all, congratulates to the guy (or guys) who controled the twitter account. I remember giving some ideas when it was created, with only like 15 o 20 followers, and now it has near 1000. The amount of work, RT all the fanarts that people posted (a shame I couldn't see all of them because I muted it before the august direct) and the love people give in all the world is amazing. Definitely we needed a Golden sun twitter page to reunite a lot of fans and be more vocal, and I think you succeded with that.

Yesterday I saw in smash reddit the speculation and all the reactions when Isaac was revealed as an Assist Trophy. Gosh, it was awful (and I'm glad I didn't participate in the speculation, I would have been so pissed after all the "evidence" that pointed that Isaac was going to be playable). This post really sums all the points ( https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...eveal_of_certain_assist_trophies_was/e8x2uou/ ) and it's terribly discouraging because this fanbase was the most affected by far.
At least, if the guy in the Geno thread is reliable, Nintendo finally understood that AT were ok in Brawl because in that time DLCs weren't possible, but nowadays there're bad received because it kills every chance to be playable (unless they change it) despite the good intentions. It amazes me how they think that people like Mii Fighters when people just don't care at all about them and their costumes, and even some of them feel insulted (or at least this is my perception of people who I know and read).

The only hope now it's a second wave (considering that the first one will be exclusively a 3rd party selection and/or some promotion character for a future nintendo release) and destroying the "fanmade rule" or choosing adult Isaac or Matthew. At least, the vocality of disappointment can work to have a new Golden Sun entry, even if it's a remake (or remaster) of the first entries...

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Do we even know if there will be a second wave?
We don’t, but considering this is our Smash game for the next 5-6 years and in the 4-5 days it’s been out it has broken all kinds of sales records it’s kind of unbelievable they wouldn’t add more DLC later on down the line.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It amazes me how they think that people like Mii Fighters when people just don't care at all about them and their costumes
I don't think it's necessarily that people dislike Mii Fighters, but rather that they were ignored because

1. They were banned online
2. They were banned at tournaments
3. Even at tournaments where they weren't banned they weren't getting good results
4. A Mii in a K. Rool costume is obviously not K. Rool.

1 and 2 are not a problem for now, and I'm honestly thinking Mii Swordfighter is kinda fun.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Nah, there has always been backlash to the idea of Mii's being added as a character altogether. This was long before being banned online and competitively, long before they were even confirmed to be in SSB4 in fact. I don't remember the exact arguments, but I think people said that adding them would be "too casual". Very silly looking back on it, if you ask me.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nah, there has always been backlash to the idea of Mii's being added as a character altogether. This was long before being banned online and competitively, long before they were even confirmed to be in SSB4 in fact. I don't remember the exact arguments, but I think people said that adding them would be "too casual". Very silly looking back on it, if you ask me.
Smash internet fanbase in general is very childish towards Miis. "They aren't real characters" or "they are too bland" were common complaints against them. They are also one of the biggest "franchises" of Nintendo and obviously have their fans, so I don't really take them seriously.

Also never understand why people acts so emotional and offended by Mii costumes, they are optional.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I never really cared much for Miis in Smash; I'd rather the development time go towards other characters, and I didn't use Miis much in 4. So if Miis ever got removed I'd be okay with it. That said, I don't mind them being there; you can have fun with them if you just accept them for what they are. I also like that they can help give extra representation to characters who I'd really like to be PCs, like Isaac, Saki, and Takamaru. I might use the Miis a bit more in Ultimate because of the Isaac costume and the fact that customization is now much simpler and not a complete pain. In future Smash games, my suggestion would be having just one Mii fighter instead of three; that way it takes less dev time and you'd still be allowed some customization, just not as much. I've never been a big fan of having tons of customization in games, which might explain part of my feelings for Miis.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Used Isaac Mii a couple of times online just now. Hope to see more of him as more people unlock his costume!
I started playing Mii Isaac two days ago, it was bittersweet to win a couple of matches with him.
I'm hoping to come across you or another fellow Isaac main online.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Welp, I still remember when this post only had 80 pages... and now goes for 800 pages (close to 900...).

I left because I wanted to play the game without knowing everything like Sakurai wanted to do. Though I was spoiled some of the new characters (and I spoiled myself if Isaac was going to be a playable character after the last direct), at least I didn't know there was going to be an adventure mode, the spirits and the arcade one with the bosses (and I'm sure I don't still know all of them). Also, I had to read twice when I discovered that the first dlc character was a ****ing Piranha plant xD (and I need to corroborate with some friends...).

First at all, congratulates to the guy (or guys) who controled the twitter account. I remember giving some ideas when it was created, with only like 15 o 20 followers, and now it has near 1000. The amount of work, RT all the fanarts that people posted (a shame I couldn't see all of them because I muted it before the august direct) and the love people give in all the world is amazing. Definitely we needed a Golden sun twitter page to reunite a lot of fans and be more vocal, and I think you succeded with that.

Yesterday I saw in smash reddit the speculation and all the reactions when Isaac was revealed as an Assist Trophy. Gosh, it was awful (and I'm glad I didn't participate in the speculation, I would have been so pissed after all the "evidence" that pointed that Isaac was going to be playable). This post really sums all the points ( https://old.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...eveal_of_certain_assist_trophies_was/e8x2uou/ ) and it's terribly discouraging because this fanbase was the most affected by far.
At least, if the guy in the Geno thread is reliable, Nintendo finally understood that AT were ok in Brawl because in that time DLCs weren't possible, but nowadays there're bad received because it kills every chance to be playable (unless they change it) despite the good intentions. It amazes me how they think that people like Mii Fighters when people just don't care at all about them and their costumes, and even some of them feel insulted (or at least this is my perception of people who I know and read).

The only hope now it's a second wave (considering that the first one will be exclusively a 3rd party selection and/or some promotion character for a future nintendo release) and destroying the "fanmade rule" or choosing adult Isaac or Matthew. At least, the vocality of disappointment can work to have a new Golden Sun entry, even if it's a remake (or remaster) of the first entries...
Not to mention the reddit forgets to mention the filing of the Golden Sun trademark well before its expiration (even was trending on twitter!), Dark Dawn website updating twice, and that many of us all thought the healing sprout would be an item for growth psynergy. Worst part about it was that all these points weren't even exclusively mentioned in our community alone, but created lots of speculation for Isaac in smash whether it may be in articles or by youtube channels like Gamexplain. I also find all the comments on that reddit hilarious. Sure no one knows exactly who voted for what in regards to the ENTIRE population of voters in the smash ballot, but they ignore all the many online polls that have a decent sample size all across that give a fair representation of what people voted for ( the one in the Google doc was fair game given that it accumulated various poll results from Euro/US and Japan polls, had over 44,000 votes, and predicted newcomers like Inklings, King K. Rool, all the veterans returning, etc).

Edit: Not all the veterans like Pichu or Young link, but notable ones like Ice Climbers and Wolf

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Can I just say I never bothered with the Miis, but now that Isaac has a costume I’m actually enjoying playing with them. I like a lot of these costumes we got and I think the swordfighter and brawler are actually pretty good. I haven’t tried the gunner yet, but I want the Custom Robo costume.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I mean we voted in the ballot, so they would know people care about Golden Sun. If nothing else I do believe we had some kind of impact on the ballot. Aside from Gray Fox (?) Isaac was the only other cut assist trophy from Brawl to return. It screams "we included him because he was popular" to me.

I wouldn't get carried away thinking it could mean something more.

It's progress at least.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Can I just say I never bothered with the Miis, but now that Isaac has a costume I’m actually enjoying playing with them. I like a lot of these costumes we got and I think the swordfighter and brawler are actually pretty good. I haven’t tried the gunner yet, but I want the Custom Robo costume.
Mii fighters are fun! I don’t fully understand the flack they get. I’ve always hoped we’d get a custom Mii Fighter back during Brawl. Swordsman has always been my favorite one so it was a real (bittersweet) treat for me finding out that Isaac has a Mii Costume.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I think most of the backlash against the mii costumes was back during the ballot days. It kinda sucked that you couldn't really use mii fighters online against random players, but now that Ultimate is out you can and that's great. I also like the little details in the game from what I seen like how they incorporate Isaac's mii fighter costume alongside with his assist during his spirit battle. Here's hoping there's a new game in the works on top of all this!

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm going to make a Google Document compiling everything we have towards Isaac for Smash, if anyone has a list of the knowledge we have so far that would be very helpful!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'd imagine Mii Fighters are something that are very popular among more casual players and less so among hardcore fans like those that would use Smashboards. Honestly, I'd be very curious to see character usage data from SSB4 and/or Ultimate because I'd imagine it looks very different from what we might expect.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to make a Google Document compiling everything we have towards Isaac for Smash, if anyone has a list of the knowledge we have so far that would be very helpful!
Wait didn't someone else make a google doc and posted it on this thread not too long ago?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HqUkqiuuXOcA035vpuoU8lnzlMJPKMPM5y9C3PZ4rq8/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the document so far, if anyone has any suggestions at all you can leave a comment on there!
Looking good so far. You can definitely add that some ATs cannot appear in certain stages. For example, the Moon can’t appear on the Great Bay Stage because it already appears in the background. If Isaac became a fighter, they could easily use this system to turn off Isaac’s AT when he’s being used as a fighter.

Heck, Adult Isaac can easily get in without ever messing with Isaac’s AT at all because they look different from one another.

There’s a lot more reasons, but you get the general idea.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Looking good so far. You can definitely add that some ATs cannot appear in certain stages. For example, the Moon can’t appear on the Great Bay Stage because it already appears in the background. If Isaac became a fighter, they could easily use this system to turn off Isaac’s AT when he’s being used as a fighter.

Heck, Adult Isaac can easily get in without ever messing with Isaac’s AT at all because they look different from one another.

Sakurai could also give Isaac a hybrid design between his DD variant and one from the first two games. If he did it with Roy I don't see Isaac getting the same type of update out of the realm of possibilities either.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Not just on stages. Certain AT's can't show up if a Smash Ball is out. Other items may possibly work as well.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too familiar with Pokken, but weren't characters that were stage elements or had supporting roles (to somewhat a similar degree to that of an assist trophy) still ended up as DLC later on?

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm not too familiar with Pokken, but weren't characters that were stage elements or had supporting roles (to somewhat a similar degree to that of an assist trophy) still ended up as DLC later on?
I believe so. I wonder why Smash is apparently locked to this stupid no AT rule by its fanbase

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I believe so. I wonder why Smash is apparently locked to this stupid no AT rule by its fanbase
Same reason why certain people cling on to other rules or statements made by Sakurai years ago (even though he has more of a tendency to change his mind more likely than not): they are too stubborn to see other possibilities. I also see it as another way for someone to say "Haha X has more of a chance than ever since Y is deconfirmed for good."

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, Croagunk was a support Pokemon before being added as playable. One of his moves has him summoning a ton of Croagunk, basically saying "Yeah, we know you can have Croagunk support Croagunk. **** it."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do we even know if there will be a second wave?
We don’t, but considering this is our Smash game for the next 5-6 years and in the 4-5 days it’s been out it has broken all kinds of sales records it’s kind of unbelievable they wouldn’t add more DLC later on down the line.
The main thing that's the deciding factor for a second wave is if there is enough demand for it (well, that, and whether the active remaining staff are able to not have too many balancing problems for DLC characters).

Same reason why certain people cling on to other rules or statements made by Sakurai years ago (even though he has more of a tendency to change his mind more likely than not): they are too stubborn to see other possibilities. I also see it as another way for someone to say "Haha X has more of a chance than ever since Y is deconfirmed for good."
Though you do have to admit that until further proof of the contrary, Sakurai doesn't seem like he's planning to upgrade ATs. Even then he probably would go for Waluigi first, if only to calm down those ****posters that harrassed his Twitter account (I feel sorry for the rest of the Waluigi fans for putting up with those bad seeds).

Wouldn't mind being proven wrong though, so we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, several fans are assuming we'll get nothing but third parties for this round of DLC...

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Croagunk was a support Pokemon before being added as playable. One of his moves has him summoning a ton of Croagunk, basically saying "Yeah, we know you can have Croagunk support Croagunk. **** it."
And Chrom sticks out like a sore thumb at that lol

Zuppo

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3593-0420-8915
I was destroyed after Isaac’s reveal as an AT, but now, after 2 days of intense playing i’ve become happy with Golden Sun situation in Ultimate. Isaac is an incredible spirit, one of the most useful AT, I play him like Mii Swordfighter with his costume, a lot of early 2000 Golden Sun main characters are represented in the game. Nintendo noted our love for the game, and he gave us (or me at least) much more than what I expected after the last direct. I believe that him is going to be a fighter in Ultimate one day, and this is for our voice too. The Sun will always rise if we continue to support the game we love.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Alright fellow adepts. Today I turn 23 years old and I just want you to know that my birthday wish is for golden sun to return as a series with either a remake or 4th entry and for Isaac to soon join the fight in smash bros. I hope this helps us out in any way.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Alright fellow adepts. Today I turn 23 years old and I just want you to know that my birthday wish is for golden sun to return as a series with either a remake or 4th entry and for Isaac to soon join the fight in smash bros. I hope this helps us out in any way.
Dude! Happy Birthday! Let’s hope your wish comes true!

As I’ve said before, if anyone thinks we’re delusional for thinking Isaac still has a chance; there is nothing wrong for staying hopeful. We are not expecting anything, but you never know what can happen at this point. Many Joker/P5 fans thought he (Joker) would never get in and BAM, he’s in now. Who’s to say ATs can’t be promoted someday? No one knows...yet...

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I hope you have a golden birthday day my friend

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Happy birthday man, hope your birthday is going well!
I also appreciate all the support you did in the tournaments, it's honestly a pretty cool thing that you done.
I'm hoping to see more from you soon about more tournaments. :)

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Oh its definitely not a coincidence. Its got more content than ARMS. About on part with Rhythm Heaven, another semi-big franchise, which is actually "relevant" as well.

"GS has a lot of characters!"

So does Advance Wars. Advance Wars has a ton of CO's, but they didn't include even include two of the three main CO's, namely Sami and Max. Only Andy, Olaf, and Eagle are in.
Advance Wars representation is weird in this game lol

happy bday!

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
You know, just thinking about it, Miis are gonna be super out of place when Nintendo consoles no longer have Miis. My guess is they stick with the default Miis and allow you to make custom moves, rather than the select/create system we have now. They'll be a really neat reference to Nintendo's "casual" era, along with Wii Fit Trainer.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
You know, just thinking about it, Miis are gonna be super out of place when Nintendo consoles no longer have Miis. My guess is they stick with the default Miis and allow you to make custom moves, rather than the select/create system we have now. They'll be a really neat reference to Nintendo's "casual" era, along with Wii Fit Trainer.
I mean, Miis have been around since the beginning of the Wii era, so over 10 years now. I wonder how long they're gonna last; it seems like Nintendo really likes the system so even if they got discontinued I think they'd likely be replaced with something very similar, which could also be used in Smash.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I mean, Miis have been around since the beginning of the Wii era, so over 10 years now. I wonder how long they're gonna last; it seems like Nintendo really likes the system so even if they got discontinued I think they'd likely be replaced with something very similar, which could also be used in Smash.
True, but given how much the Switch reduced the prominence of Miis (honestly they're only used in Smash and Wii U ports), I wouldn't be surprised if the next console drops them entirely.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm probably not the only one to feel this way

But I'd absolutely be okay with Mii's not returning in Smash or general...

Top Bottom