• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
It could be a reference to GS.

Or they could be trying to emulate Monster Hunter.

But that camera angle looks too similar tbh.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
It could be a reference to GS.

Or they could be trying to emulate Monster Hunter.

But that camera angle looks too similar tbh.
Does monster hunter have camera angles like that? Actually do any other jrpgs have that exact camera angle? I think I'm just paying too much attention to the little details though idk

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
It certainly does look like it, but it's also a very JRPG type of camera view. It's also cool how they all are RPG characters as the party some people treat zelda as one for whatever reason
When Isaac gets in, it's obvious one of his screenshots would be something like this standing next to maybe a Felix echo or a new Golden Sun assist trophy like Jenna or maybe just other Smash fighters that are associated with Mercury, Jupiter and Mars

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys, for those of us who have been factoring Vergeben's roster claims into consideration, most people seemed to believe that Isabelle would be a unique newcomer. We've also been speculating under the potential of four more unique newcomers.

So Vergeben's just confirmed his Isabelle source claims she's an echo. Which means that she won't take up one of those potential four newcomers slots if that theory is to be believed.

So Isaac's chances just got another boost if Isabelle really is definitely in the Echo category.

View attachment 157151

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...mate_newcomer_in_the_smash/e3zrfj0/?context=3
Aw, I was really hoping she’d be unique, but I’m glad to know she’ll be in. And it does mean less competition for that coveted unique spot.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Does monster hunter have camera angles like that? Actually do any other jrpgs have that exact camera angle? I think I'm just paying too much attention to the little details though idk
I'm not really familiar with the Monster Hunter series at all, but I've always been under the impression that it isn't turn-based. Then again, that could be a feature of recent titles like World, and not indicative of older titles, but I simply do not know.

Either way, that angle is not unique to Golden Sun, unfortunately. Look up Final Fantasy VII's battle screen, it looks kind of similar. Although not as much from the backs of protagonists like Golden Sun and this image, so... It is interesting.

Last edited:

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
how would you all feel if say, we get Isaac in this smash bros game and sometime in a later game Saturos becomes playable?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I'm not really familiar with the Monster Hunter series at all, but I've always been under the impression that it isn't turn-based. Then again, that could be a feature of recent titles like World, and not indicative of older titles, but I simply do not know.

Either way, that angle is not unique to Golden Sun, unfortunately. Look up Final Fantasy VII's battle screen, it looks kind of similar. Although not as much from the backs of protagonists like Golden Sun and this image, so... It is interesting.
(Edit: Yes. You are correct. This behind-the-character style isn't a trait shared with golden sun, but rather Camelot's RPG's.)

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I tried to think "Are we thinking too much into it to think that this is referencing a turn-based RPG battle, and that it's not just supposed to simply represent characters facing up against a monster like in Monster Hunter?" and came to the conclusion that it is definitely referencing a turn-based RPG style battle screen. If it were just one character in that same pose? I wouldn't think so, but to have three?

Even if we could somehow narrow it down to referencing Golden Sun (which I, personally, can not do because I have limited experience with JRPGs - and I'd find it more believable if it were four characters instead of three), has a "hint" like this ever turned out to be an actual hint? I can't recall any of the things that people have ever tried to take as hints from this seriously previously ever turning out to mean anything. Correct me if I'm wrong.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I tried to think "Are we thinking too much into it to think that this is referencing a turn-based RPG battle, and that it's not just supposed to simply represent characters facing up against a monster like in Monster Hunter?" and came to the conclusion that it is definitely referencing a turn-based RPG style battle screen. If it were just one character in that same pose? I wouldn't think so, but to have three?

Even if we could somehow narrow it down to referencing Golden Sun (which I, personally, can not do because I have limited experience with JRPGs - and I'd find it more believable if it were four characters instead of three), has a "hint" like this ever turned out to be an actual hint? I can't recall any of the things that people have ever tried to take as hints from this seriously previously ever turning out to mean anything. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah I was definitely over analyzing it, but just as speculation for fun :p Also I only thought it could be a hint because of how a lot of people thought his "red eyes" tweet before the smash direct was a hint for king k rool.

Edit: but yeah I think there's a 99.9% chance that it isn't a hint to anything

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Fwiw I haven't played a lot of MH, but arenas seem a lot more RPGish than MHish, which afaik, is mostly finding the monsters in the wild. So...

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Fwiw I haven't played a lot of MH, but arenas seem a lot more RPGish than MHish, which afaik, is mostly finding the monsters in the wild. So...
Good point. While it isn't anything significant, i find it ironic that Sakurai just posted a pic that resembled a Camelot RPG. :p

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
how would you all feel if say, we get Isaac in this smash bros game and sometime in a later game Saturos becomes playable?
Saturos has a cool design and getting another Golden Sun, and he has easily the best boss theme in the whole franchise. But if there is going to be a second Golden Sun rep aside from Felix as an echo in a future Smash game it probably could be Alex if Golden Sun 4 or a new protag from that game if it ever comes out in that time frame or another fan favorite Golden Sun character like Sveta

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah I was definitely over analyzing it, but just as speculation for fun :p Also I only thought it could be a hint because of how a lot of people thought his "red eyes" tweet before the smash direct was a hint for king k rool.

Edit: but yeah I think there's a 99.9% chance that it isn't a hint to anything
Oh well, no harm in posting it. We don't have much to go by, and this certainly is an interesting image, either way. Especially since it does seem to reference Camelot RPGs, but even that could be a coincidence.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Monster hunter is third person free camera based.

You can make almost any angle you want, but no, in Monster Hunter you most definitely don’t want to look at your enemy like this.

But that’s a nice nod to Golden Sun honestly.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hypothetical question: Isaac gets confirmed, FINALLY! Where do the people from this group go to next in terms of supporting a character. I started thinking about how the K. Rool supporters have been rallying behind Isaac. Who would you rally behind if Isaac got confirmed?

I think the easy answer would be Geno (since he's the other LONG requested RPG character that Nintendo has ignored for years), but I'd also go all in for the Skull Kid support.
Might be a bit of a late response, but I guess if Isaac is confirmed, all that would left of my realistic most wanted characters would probably be Skull Kid and Octolings as the Inklings Echo Fighters (mainly because I loved the Octo Expansion) and Bandanna Waddle Dee. I think that might satisfy me, but if Phoenix Wright joins the battle as well, then I'd be beyond ecstatic.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Hypothetical question: Isaac gets confirmed, FINALLY! Where do the people from this group go to next in terms of supporting a character. I started thinking about how the K. Rool supporters have been rallying behind Isaac. Who would you rally behind if Isaac got confirmed?

I think the easy answer would be Geno (since he's the other LONG requested RPG character that Nintendo has ignored for years), but I'd also go all in for the Skull Kid support.
I can show support for any number of characters all at once. Don't really see the point in limiting it (especially since declaring my support for a character on a forum doesn't really do anything lol). But I actively post in the Banjo and Dixie thread as well at the moment. I also support other characters like Impa, Isabelle, and Tingle, but I'm either just a litle less passionate or, in the case of Tingle, I just don't think they're likely, so I don't post in those thread as much.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
It certainly does look like it, but it's also a very JRPG type of camera view. It's also cool how they all are RPG characters as the party some people treat zelda as one for whatever reason
Is Rathalos the Doom Dragon here? hehehehe...... Also... we have three swordfighters that I can see (Link, Marth, Shulk), not really sure about who the person on the end is. But is it a hint for another swordfighter?

I have played an extensive amount of both JRPGs and Monster Hunter so I can chime in here. If you look at some simple gameplay videos of MH, it's is a third-person action game where you kite in and out depending on the weapon you are hacking away at the monster. Even though Rathalos is here which is obviously an MH monster, this isn't how you play Monster Hunter.

As for the Final Fantasy doing the same thing - it actually doesn't. If you look at Final Fantasy battle screens, they're always sideways or horizontal looking at the battle on the side. In FFVII, it is a little tilted to the right, but nothing as drastic as the picture above. There are other JRPGs that come close (Persona pans the camera behind individual characters when they perform actions, Dragon Quest camera moves all around from the front of the party to individual characters, etc.) However, Golden Sun is the only one I can recollect that has this natural position at nearly all times throughout a battle. Even when summons, psynergy and weapon releases happen. It could be a case of looking too far into it, but this is some odd stuff, I've gotta say.

I mean, wouldn't you include Cloud in here if it was going to allude to FF being the RPG sort of screenshot. Sorry I had to edit the post, since this REALLY gets the noggin churning. There are only so many turn-based RPGs that are relevant to Nintendo or even survive in modern gaming anymore. On this page alone, we've basically listed them all. Final Fantasy, Persona (SMT Mainline too), Dragon Quest, Super Mario RPG, Golden Sun. At this point I'm pretty sure it's chinese water torture with any information we get.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Is Rathalos the Doom Dragon here? hehehehe...... Also... we have three swordfighters that I can see (Link, Marth, Shulk), not really sure about who the person on the end is. But is it a hint for another swordfighter?
Yeah, i played around with the image. Nobody is in the shadows.

And even then, why would Meta Knight or Cloud not be there too? (Unless this pays off as him joining the class of "sword-wielding-rpg nintendo" characters. i doubt it.)

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
If I have learn something in life, it's that when something seems very obvious, it's because it's likely to happen, here we have 3 Swordfighter and we know Sakurai tease K K Rool, we should keep looking for these.

I'm pretty sure we are getting a nintendo direct in september/october (ending whit a newcomer), we should also get another Smash direct Showcasing the spirit mode and newcomers since this is Nintendo big game this year.

For those saying that Neogaf leak is false because MetaKnight as a Galacta Knight skin, Galacta has a lance and a shield. He also has angel wings. I doubt people could not recognize who is who, meanwhile Dark Samus and Samus are nearly identical.

Pit also has a dark pit skin just like dark pit has a Pit skin, so I would not call the leak clearly fake.

Edit, we can also have a third Smash direct showcasing the onlines mode, so more then 3 newcomers in my opinion.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Wonder Red gets 3/5 huh? Almost like this chart is from resetera or something. :laugh:

Btw Captain Toad has been deconfirmed. He's a stage element on New Donk.
more star is what i want not what is likely. so yeah. Isaac ....i dont have so much love for him ...never played the game but i know many people want it and i think its sad that his assist trophy is removed but he is not in the game AT ALL.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Btw, for those interested, this is a very typical screenshot from what you would see if you were playing Monster Hunter. This is one from the latest in the series Monster Hunter World. Usually you center the monster or points of interest in front of you just like any action game. I don't know in what capacity they have included Rathalos in Smash Ultimate but I can say he's the flagship monster of the entire series.

TypicalMHScreen.jpg

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
Pardon the interruption. I would like to voice my support for Isaac's inclusion as well. Though I have only personally completed the original Golden Sun, I remember it fondly, and still immediately recognize the melodies that make up its soundtrack. Even were it not for that, however, I have a great deal of respect for this movement, and wish to see its dream realized.

If I may: Given the trappings I come presented in, it should come as no surprise that Xenosaga's KOS-MOS is the first among my wants for inclusion. Yet in spite of her clinging to relevance through cameos as something of a Bandai-Namco/Monolith Darling, and in spite of also belonging to a well-loved cult classic... this sense of community has not formed in the same way. There are of course advantages Isaac enjoys, as a representative of the Gameboy Advanced, while Xenosaga's DS remake never made it out of Japan, but with Ultimate being developed by Bandai-Namco yet again, one might equate their overall circumstances... yet the difference in their support is unquestionable.

Much time and effort has been devoted to growing Isaac's support, to taking something a few hold with deep affection and convincing the greater whole of its worth. Not as a group of overbearing zealots, nor as a meme. Despite my jaded nature, I don't question how much of Isaac's support is ironic or otherwise disingenuous. He's not "the next on the checklist for a popular franchise." He's not "A villain and/or woman" to fill an arbitrary quota. He's a Male, Sword-wielding protagonist, and in a time where animosity towards swords is beginning to reach a fever pitch.

Yet here we are, and support, rather than dwindling, has instead continued to swell. For myself, I know not how to describe it short of awe-inspiring. Would that I could do the same.

The sun will rise again. Gaia has been dark long enough.

My apologies, but as a bit of due diligence, anyone kind enough to show support for KOS-MOS can find her thread in my signature. Please, thank you, and again, sorry.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
more star is what i want not what is likely. so yeah. Isaac ....i dont have so much love for him ...never played the game but i know many people want it and i think its sad that his assist trophy is removed but he is not in the game AT ALL.
Tell that to Custom Robo and Golden Sun fans.

Though, Dillion, shadow, skull kid, and Saki probably are wondering if their character will be upgraded.

Pardon the interruption. I would like to voice my support for Isaac's inclusion as well. Though I have only personally completed the original Golden Sun, I remember it fondly, and still immediately recognize the melodies that make up its soundtrack. Even were it not for that, however, I have a great deal of respect for this movement, and wish to see its dream realized.

If I may: Given the trappings I come presented in, it should come as no surprise that Xenosaga's KOS-MOS is the first among my wants for inclusion. Yet in spite of her clinging to relevance through cameos as something of a Bandai-Namco/Monolith Darling, and in spite of also belonging to a well-loved cult classic... this sense of community has not formed in the same way. There are of course advantages Isaac enjoys, as a representative of the Gameboy Advanced, while Xenosaga's DS remake never made it out of Japan, but with Ultimate being developed by Bandai-Namco yet again, one might equate their overall circumstances... yet the difference in their support is unquestionable.

Much time and effort has been devoted to growing Isaac's support, to taking something a few hold with deep affection and convincing the greater whole of its worth. Not as a group of overbearing zealots, nor as a meme. Despite my jaded nature, I don't question how much of Isaac's support is ironic or otherwise disingenuous. He's not "the next on the checklist for a popular franchise." He's not "A villain and/or woman" to fill an arbitrary quota. He's a Male, Sword-wielding protagonist, and in a time where animosity towards swords is beginning to reach a fever pitch.

Yet here we are, and support, rather than dwindling, has instead continued to swell. For myself, I know not how to describe it short of awe-inspiring. Would that I could do the same.

My apologies, but as a bit of due diligence, anyone kind enough to show support for KOS-MOS can find her thread in my signature. Please, thank you, and again, sorry.
As much as i want Kos-Mos to be in the game, you kinda have to battle custom robo in terms of popularity.
And i can't forget about Elma...(Though she may be unlikely.)

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I have been a longtime isaac supporter. He was my choice in the ballot. So add me on your list. I have so much hope for him right now. It looks like he and Geno are the most supported non-echo characters left.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I Spoke with some friends, and they said that the Sakurai post seems likely to a reference(together with the AT list to the right) to our favorite earth-bender

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Aw, thank you, those are some kind words!

Well if nothing else can be said about Isaac fans it's that we're a loyal and dedicated bunch. At this point the list of characters that can claim continued Smash support for some fifteen odd years is quite quite slim. Even K. Rool's fervour didn't fully kick into the monster it became until the end of the Brawl cycle. I think it's a testament not just to the fans, as persevering as they might be, but the character and the series as well. It's sad that nowadays people believe Golden Sun only ever made circles among the hardest of hardcore, when two of its titles breezed past a million units. Smash might not properly appreciate the series, but the fans have proven to be anything other than fairweather.

However, Golden Sun has the benefit of being a Nintendo series, and therein lies the answer behind the disparity you raise. When it comes to Smash, there's a world of difference in being a C-list Nintendo series and a C-list third party. If Isaac weren't a Nintendo character, he'd be far worse off, and likely never would've been seriously demanded for Smash in the first place. Isaac's got the home team advantage, of course the fans are likelier to root for him.

But, you know, KOS-MOS is finding some love these days. Clearly Monolith hasn't forgotten about her. And thanks to them, more people, including the key Nintendo fan, are taking note. Personally I think she'd be a great AT in the same vein as Bomberman or Rathalos. Frankly that's about as far as I see her getting this time, however.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
I Spoke with some friends, and they said that the Sakurai post seems likely to a reference(together with the AT list to the right) to our favorite earth-bender
Do your friends speak Japanese? I would like to know what's written there.

Top Bottom