• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I can't help but feel Sakurai is talking about us/Golden Sun/Isaac in his latest interview with some of these choice quotes:

The "feeling" he's referring to is disappointment, I think. Naturally, we're disappointed our highly requested character, whom had a previous appearance in Brawl, had completely disappeared from Smash 4, leading to playable speculation for Smash 4 DLC, leading to the ballot, and then ending with Ultimate... reviving his Brawl AT (granted, with an updated design and move set).

The word "spot" was used here. Kinda implies the idea of limited 'slots' for characters are indeed a thing behind the scenes.

On surprising fans and including Piranha Plant:

Unfortunately, I feel he may be eluding to Isaac here. He would fit the typical hero/heroine slot that he filled with Simon/Richter/Inkling and is from a franchise that isn't well known today.

That and I'm sure director bias plays a role too, since I've no doubt Rex would've been playable if XB 2 was released back in 2015 or earlier. That was kinda implied during the Mii costume segment of the last Smash direct. Rex would fit the bolded remarks as well, the difference being that Xenoblade is active and more relevant today than Golden Sun that's been out of the spotlight for many years now (but was once just as popular as the latest Xeno entry).

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros

Anyway, all this feeds into the thought that the only way Isaac/Golden Sun is getting a playable rep in Smash is for a new Golden Sun game to come out and for it's sales to perform in a way that is simply too big to ignore. Golden Sun may have been shy of 2 million units shipped world-wide years ago, but games like Splatoon are phenomenons, with the latest entry having shipped over 7 million units and still selling game copies and Switch systems today. No way Inkling is getting ignored. Also, have we seen Agent 8/Octolings as spirits yet? I think they're a contender for Smash Ultimate DLC as well, especially if Nintendo is deciding these last five fighters. They were just released with the Octo-expansion a couple months ago, and they will no doubt be mainstays to the series moving forward.
Man every time I read that it hurts.

It really does cement the idea that Smash caters to popularity and relevancy.

K Rool may have gotten in because fans want him. But Donkey Kong is still a franchise that’s alive. And they could easily bring him in in the next game.

Isaac... never had a chance of this is truly their mindset. It goes to show that we need to shift our focus to bringing Golden Sun back.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
What have people been discussing after Golden Sunday?
Oh you know, the usual. The Great Golden Sun Theory, the possibility that Isaac could be in via DLC (maybe Adult Isaac?), other characters and how the ballot related to them, ignoring trolls, discovered Jenna and as a Spirit, etc.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Man every time I read that it hurts.

It really does cement the idea that Smash caters to popularity and relevancy.

K Rool may have gotten in because fans want him. But Donkey Kong is still a franchise that’s alive. And they could easily bring him in in the next game.

Isaac... never had a chance of this is truly their mindset. It goes to show that we need to shift our focus to bringing Golden Sun back.
I think K Rool was the only unique Character we got because of the Ballot. Dark samus and chrom were admittedly also there because of their performance on the ballot, but those were easy to make clones. They didn't require the same effort as K Rool did or isaac would take.

There was of course Fan Demand for Ridley but i think Sakurai would have put him in rehardless of his ballot performance. I think Sakurai saw it more as a personal Challenge to make an moveset around him. Ridley was present in smash since 64, not even Bowser had this honor. His Shadow was looming over Roster speculation since melees intro. Sakurai always was aware of the character, there was no need for a ballot to make sakurai make him playable.

Isabelle is in there because AC became as big for Nintendo as it is today. I think we missinterpreted the Rosterinclusions before the Final Direct. Sakurai didn't specifically aim for Fan Service.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I can't help but feel Sakurai is talking about us/Golden Sun/Isaac in his latest interview with some of these choice quotes:
Yeah I got that same feeling. In a lot of those quotes, it felt as if he was speaking directly to Golden Sun fans, and that's what compelled me to write my own text wall about it. Idk if he was actually talking about Isaac (more likely, he fit into a larger group of characters he was talking about), but it did feel very oddly specific like when he mentioned things like "typical hero/heroine" and "main characters from some other franchises". And these arguments against Isaac are exactly the same ones we've fought for years, the same ones I'm sure many people were sure to argue against when writing their text into the Smash ballot.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Mainly weird bits of 'evidence' and theories which could support Isaac being in Smash or at least planned.
That's interesting!

Oh you know, the usual. The Great Golden Sun Theory, the possibility that Isaac could be in via DLC (maybe Adult Isaac?), other characters and how the ballot related to them, ignoring trolls, discovered Jenna and as a Spirit, etc.
Hopefully we get Isaac so how lol

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, one of your Blue Puppet Boi Brawl Brothers here to bring up some spicy news for your adepts over here!

Now I'm not sure if this has been shared of not since I'm not really over here on this side of SmashBoards, BUT Billybae10K Billybae10K dropped a vid that should get you guys a bit out of the dumps I hope.

If you guys don't wanna watch the whole thing for any reason, though he covers all the Golden Sun news first, I'll summarize as best I can:

Nintendo filed another trademark for Golden Sun that is in the process of being approved, this one in August of this year. The first one was in April of this year and is a Class 30 which I had to research and it mostly pertained to foods BUT it seems that Class 30 is basically the 'label' or the 'brand name' kind of trademark, meaning that in this one Nintendo filed in April and is still waiting for approval is liking to hold onto the trademark of using the name 'Golden Sun'. This second one in August is a Class 9 trademark, which essentially breaks down to Nintendo filing for 'all the computer programs and software regardless of recording media or means of disemmination, that is; software recorded on magnetic media or downloaded from a remote computer network' which basically boils down to, as I understand it, all the stuff used to make Golden Sun a game as most video games fall under a Class 9.

Billybae10K Billybae10K Also pointed out that while most Switch games only fall under a Class 9, some fall under Class 28 for 'video game apparatus' which was mainly used by Nintendo for handheld games, but these seem to only be for games with online play integrated into the core game thus far, meaning that Nintendo could be filing for a new Golden Sun game on Switch!

GET HYPE FANS OF THE GOLDEN BOI! G E T H Y P E ! YOUR DAY IN THE SUN ON SUNDAY WAS NOT IN VAIN!

There may be a day when video game companies fail us and the voices of the fans fall on deaf ears...

BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
It is getting weird that Isaac hasn't been spotted yet, isn't it?
Not really.

With the number of obscure characters being spirits as well as even third parties having them, I think it’s safe to say there are thousands of spirits. Especially since the pics used are not original artwork so the likelihood of one specific character being shown in previews is quite unlikely.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hey guys, one of your Blue Puppet Boi Brawl Brothers here to bring up some spicy news for your adepts over here!

Now I'm not sure if this has been shared of not since I'm not really over here on this side of SmashBoards, BUT Billybae10K Billybae10K dropped a vid that should get you guys a bit out of the dumps I hope.

If you guys don't wanna watch the whole thing for any reason, though he covers all the Golden Sun news first, I'll summarize as best I can:

Nintendo filed another trademark for Golden Sun that is in the process of being approved, this one in August of this year. The first one was in April of this year and is a Class 30 which I had to research and it mostly pertained to foods BUT it seems that Class 30 is basically the 'label' or the 'brand name' kind of trademark, meaning that in this one Nintendo filed in April and is still waiting for approval is liking to hold onto the trademark of using the name 'Golden Sun'. This second one in August is a Class 9 trademark, which essentially breaks down to Nintendo filing for 'all the computer programs and software regardless of recording media or means of disemmination, that is; software recorded on magnetic media or downloaded from a remote computer network' which basically boils down to, as I understand it, all the stuff used to make Golden Sun a game as most video games fall under a Class 9.

Billybae10K Billybae10K Also pointed out that while most Switch games only fall under a Class 9, some fall under Class 28 for 'video game apparatus' which was mainly used by Nintendo for handheld games, but these seem to only be for games with online play integrated into the core game thus far, meaning that Nintendo could be filing for a new Golden Sun game on Switch!

GET HYPE FANS OF THE GOLDEN BOI! G E T H Y P E ! YOUR DAY IN THE SUN ON SUNDAY WAS NOT IN VAIN!

There may be a day when video game companies fail us and the voices of the fans fall on deaf ears...

BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!
Thank you for sharing this my Blue Puppet Bro! This is some exciting news indeed. While trademarks could mean nothing, Golden Sun's has been the most fascinating of them all. Next year is going to be very interesting!

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Weyard theme is back.
If we don't get new gs music I'm gonna be a little disappointed. weyard is not exactly the best choice for battle music when you have so many better tracks to choose from

Also I haven't posted here in a while, hope you guys are doing well

D

Deleted member

Now if we can just get another music track and at least a little slice of land in the World of Light...

D

Deleted member

If what the datamine is true...

We should have at least an area exclusive for GS characters.

Music is iffy...

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
So I was spending some time over at the geno thread as thats my #1 most wanted character beside Isaac and I heard this.
So I heard back from our info boi. Nothing new on Geno, but interesting stuff:
-NO AT promotions at all in wave 1. So no waluigi, etc.
-Wave 2 has not been heard of at all yet if it will ever happen. If people want it to happen, they need to push for it NOW.
-Geno rumor is still valid and nothing new has been said about it. Great for Geno.
-He probably won't hear anything about what's at VGAs besides Nintendo cracking down on security and sales in Mexico.
-NoJ picked the DLC. Knowing them, he believes there will be 2 or so fan demanded characters, and 3 or so less demanded characters for marketing purposes. Similar to base game. Will Geno be our Ridley?
So we best be letting nintendo know we surely want a 2nd wave of dlc so AT promotions can have a shot for this game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They'll know if people want a second wave if the first wave sells. Even if all the first wave characters don't interest you, at least buy the one you dislike the least.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So I was spending some time over at the geno thread as thats my #1 most wanted character beside Isaac and I heard this.

So we best be letting nintendo know we surely want a 2nd wave of dlc so AT promotions can have a shot for this game.
“Geno rumor is still valid”. What Geno rumor?

D

Deleted member

No new track for the series. Or any ports.

But Motoi Sakuraba was busy during the game.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Now if we can just get another music track and at least a little slice of land in the World of Light...
Like a lighthouse you know.

They'll know if people want a second wave if the first wave sells. Even if all the first wave characters don't interest you, at least buy the one you dislike the least.
That's my plan, buy the pack with the digital game. I fear I will not like everyone, but that's a call to make more DLC.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I really want to avoid early spoilers but does anyone know if we got more than two FF tracks? :p

D

Deleted member

Area exclusive for GS? Can you elaborate on that? Like an area in the WoL thing?
There's going to be three Maps in the adventure mode. The World of Light, World of Dark, and the Final World. Odds are, there's going to be a region for those characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post; double posting(please edit your messages instead)
Oh, Jenna is a spirit? Neat. :)

One more thing to make sure I get once it comes.

I really want to avoid early spoilers but does anyone know if we got more than two FF tracks? :p
From what I've heard, Final Fantasy only has the same 2 tracks from Smash 4.

There must be some odd licensing problems between Nintendo and Square Enix or something for FF's representation to be so low. Couldn't even be bothered to get Cloud's English VA even on his second go.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY!
Thank you so much. Not only for posting this but for your positivity and support, may a new sky come for both of our characters!

There must be some odd licensing problems between Nintendo and Square Enix or something for FF's representation to be so low. Couldn't even be bothered to get Cloud's English VA even on his second go.
They have said before that FF music is very expensive to get which is likely the reason we are only getting those two tracks.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Mario - Good, but where's the RPG music
Wario - Where is Warioland music
Metal Gear - Aww no vocal themes
Final Fantasy - ;-;
Zelda - Good
Donkey Kong - Good
Metroid - Good but would love more remixes
Kirby - Good owo
Street Fighter - It makes sense, since II has the most iconic ost, but Third Strike music would have been cool and a Final Fight nod
Castlevania - Probably the best and most variety of mixes
Megaman - Cool X got a remix, but I think Network and stuff should've got some
Fire Emblem - I'm glad the older games got remixes, Roy's theme has a qt remix!
F-Zero - I love Mute City and Big Blue, but GX or X remixes would have been cool
Pokemon - Prefer Sumo's ost to xy so I don't mind this. Would have loved to hear more Gen 2 though

This is based on Crunchii's remixes, the pastebin is a bit hard to read lol. I hope there's an advance wars or custom robo mix in there

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Thats really unfortunate :/
If that's the case then I'm surprised that we're supposedly getting a second square Enix rep

Last edited:

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Any idea to make some noise for DLC wave 2?

Isaac behing the odd one behing missing as spirit, why is he alway the last one to be deconfirm lol.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
TBH, I wouldn't mind if they cut Cloud in the future so that their resources towards "hard to get 3rd party character" could go towards Banjo-Kazooie instead, but that might just be me.

Any idea to make some noise for DLC wave 2?

Isaac behing the odd one behing missing as spirit, why is he alway the last one to be deconfirm lol.
We could always buy as much of the DLC as possible, just to show that we want more, or we could simply begin making posts on social media supporting the idea of more DLC and Assist Trophy upgrades once the current wave is 'bout half-over.

Either way might work.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Guys I'm not so sure about Wave 2 DLC, personally.

I get the feeling that it's just gonna be more of the same. So if they give us a bunch of bland marketing picks then buying the heck out of it is only gonna tell them that their strategy works and I doubt they'd change anything in Wave 2.

Obviously you're free to buy whichever characters you want, but my advice would be not to buy just for the sake of getting Wave 2 DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, even Code Name STEAM, which is deader than Golden Sun, got a remix.

TBH, I wouldn't mind if they cut Cloud in the future so that their resources towards "hard to get 3rd party character" could go towards Banjo-Kazooie instead, but that might just be me.
Seems fair to me, but for any sufficiently nuttier choices instead.

So, how does one go about campaigning for Earthworm Jim to come back when the IP holders are busy trying to sell his series rights?

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209

Yes, that's what my source said. There's no word on a S2 at all at Nintendo atm. So, if people want to have an impact what characters they can get in the game (since ATs are apparently disqualified from wave 1), they should start pushing for a wave 2 NOW. It's the only shot to promote ATs. If there's no wave 2, push the AT characters you want promoted as hard as Ridley got pushed, because that's why Ridley got promoted from hazard to playable in this game.

I actually have less confidence NoJ would pick Geno then, like NoA would. But who knows? Better chance than if NoE picked
He's consistently stressed that what he heard about Geno is a RUMOR at NoA. I put a ton of weight on it because every rumor he's heard from NoA has come true, but this may not. He seemed pretty negative about NoJ picking the characters, but he stood by his belief that they'd pick at minimum 2 fan demanded characters. He said that base game is likely a good indicator of what the team will do (with Ridley and K Rool, and then some less popular picks like Incineroar). We can only hope that Geno is one of the demanded picks. As I said, I will always give updates. If he hears Geno isn't in, or that another Enix character is, I'll say it definitively. Nothing he's heard lately has been about Geno at all, so the rumor that Geno is DLC is still completely safe for the time being.

Guys I'm not so sure about Wave 2 DLC, personally.

I get the feeling that it's just gonna be more of the same. So if they give us a bunch of bland marketing picks then buying the heck out of it is only gonna tell them that their strategy works and I doubt they'd change anything in Wave 2.

Obviously you're free to buy whichever characters you want, but my advice would be not to buy just for the sake of getting Wave 2 DLC.
I'll repeat what he's heard from NoA: there currently isn't a planned wave 2, at least not hat NoA knows about. The advice is that if you want ATs promoted (since they won't be in wave 1, according to NoA), then people need to start a campaign, NOW. Nintendo believes ATs are good enough for some people. It's kinda like the Ridley situation. People needed to demand, and demand hard for Nintendo to realize just how much we wanted Ridley specifically as a playable fighter. They do care about making fans happy. They're just not of the same mindset as us a lot of the time.

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Gonna go ahead an assume season 2 flat out isn't gonna happen.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Lol I'd cut Cloud in a hearbeat. He can take Snake with him. I'm a first party purist for the most part.

I'll repeat what he's heard from NoA: there currently isn't a planned wave 2, at least not hat NoA knows about. The advice is that if you want ATs promoted (since they won't be in wave 1, according to NoA), then people need to start a campaign, NOW. Nintendo believes ATs are good enough for some people. It's kinda like the Ridley situation. People needed to demand, and demand hard for Nintendo to realize just how much we wanted Ridley specifically as a playable fighter. They do care about making fans happy. They're just not of the same mindset as us a lot of the time.
Yeah I read what you said. But I don't think buying things you don't want is a good way to tell them what you want. That said, I'm not gonna stop asking for Isaac lol. I seriously doubt it's gonna happen in Ultimate's DLC, but I'll keep rooting for him regardless.

I'll admit that a small part of me would rather wait for Smash 6's base game so that Isaac could get a proper CGI trailer and more eyes on him, but I'll take him in DLC if I can get him.

why are we talking about a season 2 of DLC already?
ikr lol

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Yes, that's what my source said. There's no word on a S2 at all at Nintendo atm. So, if people want to have an impact what characters they can get in the game (since ATs are apparently disqualified from wave 1), they should start pushing for a wave 2 NOW. It's the only shot to promote ATs. If there's no wave 2, push the AT characters you want promoted as hard as Ridley got pushed, because that's why Ridley got promoted from hazard to playable in this game.

He's consistently stressed that what he heard about Geno is a RUMOR at NoA. I put a ton of weight on it because every rumor he's heard from NoA has come true, but this may not. He seemed pretty negative about NoJ picking the characters, but he stood by his belief that they'd pick at minimum 2 fan demanded characters. He said that base game is likely a good indicator of what the team will do (with Ridley and K Rool, and then some less popular picks like Incineroar). We can only hope that Geno is one of the demanded picks. As I said, I will always give updates. If he hears Geno isn't in, or that another Enix character is, I'll say it definitively. Nothing he's heard lately has been about Geno at all, so the rumor that Geno is DLC is still completely safe for the time being.

With all due respect. Who the heck are you, and why should I believe this information you have apparently heard?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
With all due respect. Who the heck are you, and why should I believe this information you have apparently heard?
Yeah, this pretty much.

Some guy who wants Geno is posting in a Geno thread about sources he knows that think Geno has a good chance.

I need to know more than that. As much as I don’t like Vergeben the guy has credibility.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
did advance wars get a remix? cause i feel like IS should atleast give irt a mix
Haven't been able to locate any Advance Wars tracks. There don't appear to be any, not even rips.

Wow, 2 tracks for Golden Sun, 0 for Advance Wars.....
And I was hoping we'd get a full playable character from each of these series.......

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Haven't been able to locate any Advance Wars tracks. There don't appear to be any, not even rips.

Wow, 2 tracks for Golden Sun, 0 for Advance Wars.....
And I was hoping we'd get a full playable character from each of these series.......
The tracks thing for GS is still fishy to me... Like if you are adding to other franchises that have only had music before what is deterring you from adding GS music if Sakuraba is part of the composers?
And also, I've read around 90% of the spirits have already appeared / been addressed by now and we still haven't seen an Isaac spirit?

Top Bottom