• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Do we have any smidgen of an idea when the next direct could POSSIBLY be? I need somthing, I really do. Even if it's not 100% confirmed.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Do we have any smidgen of an idea when the next direct could POSSIBLY be? I need somthing, I really do. Even if it's not 100% confirmed.
The general belief is one next week and one the week after or one in two weeks. I personally subscribe to the two directs theory (one general, one Smash), with Isaac being the next reveal (because I also subscribe to earthquake delay theory.)

Also: WOW! 81 Guests! Come say hi! We don't bite (at the moment)!

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why people always twist themselves into contortions to explain why something ISN'T what it appears to be, when it's easier to just accept that it is. This isn't an obviously photoshopped situation or anything like that where the mistakes are obvious.

Here we have a previously unrevealed item that HIGHLY resembles an icon from a very popular and almost expected series. It's easier to believe that than to believe Sakurai hid this item for 8 months even though it's just some random sprout.

Ditto for the Ken screenshot leak which had too many details right to possibly be fake. Likewise, we see a very professional looking banner leak with SEVEN brand new renders, and yet people are arguing that it's some elaborate plot with stolen identities and dozens of hours spent on painstakingly designing and moving around icons, all the while leaving unrelated clues like the Grinch strewn about for credibility. Or, we could just accept that some edgelord young kid with no regards for the impact this would have on his career decided to leak something. If it does end up being false, it's not like people are stupid for falling for probably the most convincing and elaborate hoax in Smash history.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A source that allegedly leaked the date of the last Direct has it pegged between the 5-12 of next month, with the 8th looking most likely.

As it stands now, seems very unlikely the fanbase comes to a consensus on Mr. Grinch's leak before then.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
It's true that Growth would be an unconventional pick for an item, but since when were Death's Scythe and Ramblin' Evil Mushroom topping anyone's list of expectations?
THIS!
Also, I’m not sure if I read it here or on Twitter but someone mentioned that ladder attacks are now a thing so it’s very possible the new item is Growth and creates a temporary ladder on the stage.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Honestly, a large part of why I don't trust the "grinch leak" is because of who it gives us. It's 50/50 selfishness and predictability.
First off, no one I want to be revealed has been for this game, two of my most wanted newcomers have already been deconfirmed and two that I actively didn't want are in. I want to believe that there's still hope for characters that I actually like, rather than Isaac's "huh, he sounds fun" being the best I'm gonna get from the game.
Secondly, though, anyone could guess those characters. It's a SUPER predictable line up, which instantly makes me sceptical. Sakurai's not exactly known for predictability and this just looks like safe bets from a fan wanting temporary fame.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
Too many items are bombs and we have plenty of those.

Maybe that thing that creates thorns or an oil drop
Fire is pretty overused so I wouldn't like Oil Drop, I was thinking of TLA's Trident.

Secondly, though, anyone could guess those characters. It's a SUPER predictable line up, which instantly makes me sceptical. Sakurai's not exactly known for predictability and this just looks like safe bets from a fan wanting temporary fame.
The unpredictable part would be 7 playable characters revealed in a month.

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Remember, ladder attacks are now a thing.

Bramble Seed would work for the Growth combat effect.

But what if it grows a vine ladder? Only Growth does that.
That’s... an astute observation... I actually completely forgot ladder attacks are now a thing. Such a strange feature when the game itself doesn’t have that many ladders... unless you had an item that made them on a whim... fascinating...

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Ah geez that plant. Come on plant, don't just show up like that. Maaaan now I'm all super hyped up super super hyped.

Also geez it's been a while since I've had to catch up every day, huh? Nice to see the thread having lots of activity again. :3

So we have the Grinch Leak which some people believe, some people don't, some people hmm. I am semi-biased towards it, but I will understand if it's not true. But it's a gigantic tangled web of a mess, that one. Most of the things people are picking on are graphical mishaps, which can be subject to change throughout the process. The empty background could simply be a reference so all the characters can be properly added in places and to keep things to scale and make sure everything fits, and could be less detailed because of that. (Naturally I could be wrong, but hey, gotta give my own perspective.)

So we have a green item, a green leak and a green tweet (Not really. :p). Hmm hmm. Things are looking pretty all right at the moment I'd say, I'm hopeful.

Is it even possible for RAY to make it in though? Custom Robo did not have its trademark renewed.
I seem to recall, but may be incorrect in remembering this, that the trademark canceled was only about CD-based things. I don't believe it was the entire trademark for the series that got canned. I might be wrong, by all means someone correct me, cause I hate being wrong.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
Mach Rider = predictable?

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
So much hype building here for the Golden Boy! I love it! Things are gonna get crazier from here on out, thanks to the one and only Grinch. The future is definitely shinin' brightly!

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I've seen some folks suggest that it's the beanstalk from mario bros. But that wouldn't work I don't think. In older appearances the top of the stalker is far busier, and in modern appearances the head of the stalk is a piranha plant. In all appearances, beanstalks almost always come out of blocks, notably exception being Mario 2. The sprouts are certainly never encapsulated in a blue sphere either, lol.

Given that Growth could be used to create ladders in golden sun, basically the same functionality but being a far more portable ladder (making the brick with a beanstalk in it would look weird) and attacking on ladders is now a thing, i'm inclined to believe it IS growth, rather then a mario thing. And if this is in fact Growth. Isaac's chances shoot up EXPONENTIALLY. With or without the Grinch leak.

Attachments

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Honestly, a large part of why I don't trust the "grinch leak" is because of who it gives us. It's 50/50 selfishness and predictability.
First off, no one I want to be revealed has been for this game, two of my most wanted newcomers have already been deconfirmed and two that I actively didn't want are in. I want to believe that there's still hope for characters that I actually like, rather than Isaac's "huh, he sounds fun" being the best I'm gonna get from the game.
Not a predictable line up for anyone suffering from smash 4 character choice syndrome.

I was expecting NONE of these characters besides Inkling and Isabelle

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Funny. Cause the entirety of Ultimate thus far has been giving many fans what they want.

At the beginning of this no one expected Ridley of K Rool. They expected an ARMS character and other relevant characters.

It’s only “expected” because its what we want. But just about every character revealed so far has been one people have been wanting. So is it THAT far fetched to think that trend will continue?

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I've seen some folks suggest that it's the beanstalk from mario bros. But that wouldn't work I don't think. In older appearances the top of the stalker is far busier, and in modern appearances the head of the stalk is a piranha plant. In all appearances, beanstalks almost always come out of blocks, notably exception being Mario 2. The sprouts are certainly never encapsulated in a blue sphere either, lol.

Given that Growth could be used to create ladders in golden sun, basically the same functionality but being a far more portable ladder (making the brick with a beanstalk in it would look weird) and attacking on ladders is now a thing, i'm inclined to believe it IS growth, rather then a mario thing. And if this is in fact Growth. Isaac's chances shoot up EXPONENTIALLY. With or without the Grinch leak.
Let's not also forget that a large beanstalk is already in the Mushroom Kingdom U stage.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

How's that proof for the grinch leak coming along get any info

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
View attachment 172154

Ladder attacks are a thing, this could help Isaac case
That's a very good point. Ladders are only appear in three stages (75m, Wrecking Crew, and Palutena's Temple), which hardly justifies implementing a whole ladder attack mechanic. If there's an item that creates a ladder dynamically on any stage, then that makes much more sense.

It'd be a really interesting item if that's the case. Some maps are pretty tall and difficult to ascend, so this item would change the way those maps play pretty drastically.

EDIT: Actually, there will probably be ladders in the Spirits mode, provided it's an adventure mode of some kind.

Last edited:

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525

I remember you mentioning something about a Grinch proof. Where are you now in the process?

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Uh guys did you see this image

Screenshot_20181025-231336_Instagram.jpg

This is literally the same don't even try to say other wise

I TOLD YOU BOYS. I TOLD YOU ALL.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Golden Sun items:

Well, you have tons you could use though I don't know if they would?

Healing items: Herb, Elixir, Nut/Hard Nut ;), Corn, Vial, Potion, Water of Life (1-Up?) and Hermes' Water
Thoughts here: A lot of these are pretty standard fare in a lot of the games represented already and we already have tons of healing items, I don't know how likely it would be. Though, they would be easy to implement.

Attacking Items: Bramble Seed, Crystal Powder, Sleep Bomb, Smoke Bomb (There's already a smoke ball so probably unlikely) and Weasel's Claw.
Thoughts here: You could use any of them and it would work, it just depends on how many items Sakurai even wants to implement if Isaac is in. Sleep Bomb actually sounds like an interesting item that is possible because there's no item that would be like that exactly.

Miscellaneous: Cloak Ball, Halt Gem, Orb of Force, other psynergy attached to characters.
Thoughts here: A lot of these already have an item in the game that is similar. I think there's a Perfect Dark invisibility cloak thing. I don't know if any of these would be chosen, but as we see if you extend it out to psynergy that is not attached to specific items, you could do a lot of things with it. If this Growth item is true, that would be an example. There's also stuff like Sand, Teleport, Lash, Whirlwind.... Maybe Sakurai puts together a few of these (3-5) and calls it a day for good GS representation.

Then the best of all... you go around the Smash world collecting Drag- I mean Elemental Orbs. Once you have them all, you summon the Golden Sun and remain invincible for a period of time.

You get the boat ticket item then have to choose 4 different people who could send you to Crossbone Isle. This is why there's the stage transition idea. =P

Now I'm just fantasizing.

Last edited:

FantastiqueFran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Haruki-KunST
Isaac - Fan-demand character. Has a significant amount of fan support behind him. Definitely a character with a unique moveset. Also, Growth might be his down special and it looks like Flint will be accompanying him. Implications of a Djinn system like in the original games?

Shadow - Fan-demand character. Possibly an echo fighter of Sonic, but he could be a semi-clone. Probably more powerful and heavier than Sonic.

Ken - Anticipated character. Most leaks were implying his inclusion. Most likely an echo fighter for Ryu (as Ken is the Player 2 to Ryu's Player 1).

Geno - Fan-demand character. Also has a significant amount of fan support. Another character with a unique moveset. Also, Super Mario RPG was made by both Nintendo and Square Enix, so Geno would technically be the second Square rep in Smash Ultimate.

Banjo - Fan-demand character. Yet another unique character with a lot of fan support. Although Rare now works for Mircosoft, most people associate Banjo-Kazooie with Nintendo. Rare also developed the Donkey Kong Country series and King K. Rool made his first appearance in that game. Coincidence much?

Chorus Kids - Fan-demand / unexpected character(s). Character(s) with a unique moveset. They have some popularity behind them and a supporting fanbase. Would blindside most Smash fans to see a character like this. Plus, the Chorus Kids would be the first to represent the rhythm-game genre in Smash. Sidenote: wouldn't it be awesome for their character trailer to have them sing the Smash Ultimate Theme Song?

Mach Rider - Unexpected character. Unique character with a possible moveset. There was a bit of traction for this character, but not so much as compared to the others. Would definitely blindside everyone. Mach Rider is also considered to be a "True Retro" character as every Smash iteration has had at least one retro newcommer (Melee = Mr. Game & Watch, Brawl = R.O.B., Smash 4 = Duck Hunt).

~~~

I want to believe this leak is real. I really do. This is the best lineup of supposedly "leaked" characters in a while and challenges the "box" theory and Vergeben's claims. Even though I think it's a little too unrealistic to be adding this many characters in a short amount of time, the leak is convincing and managed to jot down all the details.

I don't want my expectations raised up too high, but for now, things are looking up for Isaac and the others!

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
How's that proof for the grinch leak coming along get any info
I finished the analysis a while ago with help from half of Papa Geno's discord. My idea was that the smash banner's would have more differences if you used the one with empty slots from the Direct before they put in K rool and the others. We looked hard but we're not graphic designers, discrepancies were hard to find with out that sort of help lol.

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
Guys, that is very clearly Growth.

I just went from about ~40% sure to 90% sure Isaac is in, in about 2 days. I’ve taken a pretty tempered approach this entire speculation cycle, but I’m 99% sure that is Growth right there.

Not trying to shut down discussion or anything, but that’s as clear as it gets without official confirmation.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
question about the “Chad Ganondorf” leak. Who is the “Ray 01” that the leaker says was cut?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I've not seen him predicted for Ultimate, sure but I saw him get a fair bit of love back in the Smash 4 days and he's still a go to for a "retro" pick.
You make a good point that it does seem to wishlist-y but I mean we already got every single veteran ever returning something most people thought was only a dream, Ridley who some thought was only a dream, K Rool who some only thought was a dream, and now Isaac is looking like he's in and some people thought he was only a dream. Maybe this game is just a dream come true.

question about the “Chad Ganondorf” leak. Who is the “Ray 01” that the leaker says was cut?
The main character from Custom Robo.

Last edited:

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Ray was an assist trophy back in Brawl, if you remember the small gundam looking fighter guy that flew around and shot out lasers and rockets. He's from a Nintendo series of games called Custom Robo. Unfortunately, they let the trademark lapse just recently. So it's eternally dead.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Custom Robo character. It's the main lead robo the player uses through out the series. RAY 01 is the GCN model of the Ray series.

Weird how it was considered but the IP ran out.

In the 24th episode of Densetsu No Smash, Ray 01 sacrifices himself in order to help Isaac deal the final blow to Relevancy Cultist and Box-Man.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Funny. Cause the entirety of Ultimate thus far has been giving many fans what they want.

At the beginning of this no one expected Ridley of K Rool. They expected an ARMS character and other relevant characters.

It’s only “expected” because its what we want. But just about every character revealed so far has been one people have been wanting. So is it THAT far fetched to think that trend will continue?
Imagine the leak is fake and we end up getting an ARMS character and just Ken as an Echo ... This would turn the best smash into the worst one in a split second LOL

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Main character of the first custom robo game. He's basically a mecha that the player could customize in tons of cool ways. The game was a sort of party arena fighter where players would blast each other in the mechs.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So we have the Growth icon and Sakura's Rathalos tweet. Things are looking really good for our Golden boy.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oof, I forgot how much traffic this thread gets.

Anyways, a little ramble from yours truly. If Isaac does get in, it would be a weird feeling.

Like, I can’t believe that after the fans have been pushing Isaac for so long, and after Isaac went from an assist trophy in Brawl to nothing in Smash 4, he comes back as being playable.

Seeing Isaac actually moving and interacting with other Nintendo characters is a sight to be hold, and it makes me very happy that it was all because Sakurai noticed the support that you guys have brought forth, and that a bright future may now hold for the series.

Anyways, although the leak has been going back and forth, there’s a lot of stuff that seems to be shaping up for Isaac, so stay strong guys! The journey is almost over!

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Sakurai doing exactly what the hardcore internet smash fanbase wants is probably the most unpredictable thing he can do.

Top Bottom