• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Too many leaks to get invested in ones without any credibility.

Once more content gets confirmed and we can narrow down the pool, that's when things will get interesting.
Agreed. After tomorrow, a lot will be weeded out, but more will come as we get closer to December. Does make you wonder when they will show more content (especially new fighters) between now till Ultimate's release or right before it.

In the meantime, besides discussing our favorite Golden Boy (and other fan favorites), any of you been playing any good games to hold you over till more news comes out? I've been playing Hollow Knight and wow! What a gem!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Agreed. After tomorrow, a lot will be weeded out, but more will come as we get closer to December. Does make you wonder when they will show more content (especially new fighters) between now till Ultimate's release or right before it.

In the meantime, besides discussing our favorite Golden Boy (and other fan favorites), any of you been playing any good games to hold you over till more news comes out? I've been playing Hollow Knight and wow! What a gem!
Sadly I haven't gotten the chance to play a lot of my games because I'm working but when I get the chance I'm going to back Octopath

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Part of me wants to believe they're going to tide us over with some mode reveals and maybe one reveal before dumping most of the newcomers on us at once close to launch like what they did with the veterans. Or maybe there will be more secret fighters than we expect.

As for games I'm doing playthroughs on:

Crash N-Sane Trilogy, Octopath, Tropical Freeze (It's Funky), Bayo 1+2, Sonic Mania Plus, and thinking about getting Star Allies or some other Kirby game.

And no, I don't actually have the time or patience to play through all these simultaneously, lol. Taking it all one step at a time and switching off and on between whatever I'm feeling a certain day.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If only Sakurai would throw us all a bone and start revealing info already. Jesus what was the point of the Everyone Is Here announcement if you were just going to repeat the same crap from E3 for the next month?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If only Sakurai would throw us all a bone and start revealing info already. Jesus what was the point of the Everyone Is Here announcement if you were just going to repeat the same crap from E3 for the next month?
It not taking at least a few months before we learn new information would be the anomaly.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It not taking at least a few months before we learn new information would be the anomaly.
This game was nothing but anomalies. They developed for years and said nothing. They teased the game in a direct and said nothing about it till E3. They showed the game was only half a year away. And it was focused on vets instead of newcomers. But still I don't even need new characters revealing anything other than the same crap we knew since June 14th would be nice. Like when they revealed Miis would still have different moves. That was a good update but the rest have been have been tediously rehashing information.

Staarih

Smash Master
So, apparently Resetera's had a voting for essential RPG's and they're gradually compiling a list of the 101 most voted ones. Golden Sun made it to #78. Not the best place, sure, but it's nice to see it at least remembered enough to even make a list like this haha! I'm not sure if it just counts the first game (and if Lost Age could get its own spot higher), we'll see.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This game was nothing but anomalies. They developed for years and said nothing. They teased the game in a direct and said nothing about it till E3. They showed the game was only half a year away. And it was focused on vets instead of newcomers. But still I don't even need new characters revealing anything other than the same crap we knew since June 14th would be nice. Like when they revealed Miis would still have different moves. That was a good update but the rest have been have been tediously rehashing information.
That's still weak reasoning to conflate entirely unrelated facets of the game in attempting to stitch together a correlation. That's tantamount to the old "but Sakurai is unpredictable" to justify any number of outcomes, irrespective of how implausible they are. You can list the ways in which this reveal has differed, but it's still a very false conclusion to assume things which from the outset were never more than conjecture and are actively being proved as baseless.

Not that most people truly expected Nintendo to shirk industry-wide trends here. Let me ask you this: how many games are followed by a steady stream of new content almost immediately after being revealed?

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
That's still weak reasoning to conflate entirely unrelated facets of the game in attempting to stitch together a correlation. That's tantamount to the old "but Sakurai is unpredictable" to justify any number of outcomes, irrespective of how implausible they are. You can list the ways in which this reveal has differed, but it's still a very false conclusion to assume things which from the outset were never more than conjecture and are actively being proved as baseless.

Not that most people truly expected Nintendo to shirk industry-wide trends here. Let me ask you this: how many games are followed by a steady stream of new content almost immediately after being revealed?
You were talking about anomalies I listed mine. The point was the game is different from previous games that's all but anyways my main point is it is very annoying to be spoon fed the exact same information we already knew. With Brawl, the Dojo would reveal things and that was exciting because even though it wasn't always characters it was new insight we didn't have. With Smash 4 the pic of the day would reveal new things all the time which gave us insight into the game. Sure there was info droughts like now but they were more manageable because the daily posts were something to look forward to. Here the info is exactly what was revealed at E3 making the updates entirely pointless outside of the music ones making the wait drag on even longer. Any info is golden but recycling information is annoying.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Fighting games usually do...?

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Well, today Nintendo released the sales of the Q1 results (remember that Q1 is from April to June). Mario Tennis Aces shipped 1.38 millions in just one week. Considering the game were in the charts of the firsts weeks of July as the best sold Switch title until the Octopath Traveler launching (at least in Japan), probably it has sold a lot more.
With the current numbers, it surpassed the prior entries and only the Mario Tennis from n64 sold better (with 2.32millions).

Anyways, Camelot still continues updating the game. They're fixing some of the most common complaints, and tomorrow they'll launch a patch that will fix the Single Player campaign complaints.

So, apparently Resetera's had a voting for essential RPG's and they're gradually compiling a list of the 101 most voted ones. Golden Sun made it to #78. Not the best place, sure, but it's nice to see it at least remembered enough to even make a list like this haha! I'm not sure if it just counts the first game (and if Lost Age could get its own spot higher), we'll see.
It's not that bad considering it's a very biased forum. Actually, I'm surprised it ranks that high. But AFAIK, there wasn't a lot of votes for the second entry (it's a shame because the second one is much better than the first one).

And also... tomorrow is 1st of August, the Golden Sun's birthday. Also the smash blog will update with a new track. Let's see if something happens.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Well, today Nintendo released the sales of the Q1 results (remember that Q1 is from April to June). Mario Tennis Aces shipped 1.38 millions in just one week. Considering the game were in the charts of the firsts weeks of July as the best sold Switch title until the Octopath Traveler launching (at least in Japan), probably it has sold a lot more.
With the current numbers, it surpassed the prior entries and only the Mario Tennis from n64 sold better (with 2.32millions).
This is great news for Camelot, I never picked this one up but from what I've heard this is better than the games they released in the Wii U and 3DS era so at least they are getting better. Hopefully they return to JRPGs soon

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yay. Nice to see Camelot getting some success.

Now if only they'll give Golden Sun another chance. C'mon, look at how successful Octopath Traveler is. Turn based RPGs are strong right now, and the market is nowhere near as saturated as some other genres. Make the move. You guys can do it.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
This is great news for Camelot, I never picked this one up but from what I've heard this is better than the games they released in the Wii U and 3DS era so at least they are getting better. Hopefully they return to JRPGs soon
It is definitely better in gameplay, though it's actually similarly lacking in content (short single player campaign and lack of variety in modes being the biggest offenders). They're still working towards that, but they're good about fixing quality of life issues in single player and menus, as well as adjusting character balance.

So, they listen. It may not be about Golden Sun, but they have their ears perked up. Hoping that Octopath and Smash has their eyes fixated too.

If only one day, we could catch a little secret in their Tennis Aces patch notes that says:

Future Project Changes:

Golden Sun:
- Series outlook increased by +1 game in development

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
I don't know if anybody suggested this but what do you think of having The Elemental Stars Chzamber as a Stage?

The stage could be a fix stage with multiple pillars plaforms and sometimes a statue with one of the four elemental stars pops out. If a player gets all of four elemental stars then the stage begins to destroy himself and columns of lava could come from below the stage having the Wise One come to calm down the place and the the cycle repeats.

Smash Lord
Today is Golden Sun's 17th anniversary in Japan which means the franchise is just as old as Isaac was in the first game! There is a good number of Japanese fans I found on Twitter who are celebrating the occasion.

That also means my Isaac Dream Smashers Source Gaming moveset is officially two years old at this point so yay!
I don't know if anybody suggested this but what do you think of having The Elemental Stars Chzamber as a Stage?

The stage could be a fix stage with multiple pillars plaforms and sometimes a statue with one of the four elemental stars pops out. If a player gets all of four elemental stars then the stage begins to destroy himself and columns of lava could come from below the stage having the Wise One come to calm down the place and the the cycle repeats.
I like your ideas, Venus Lighthouse is usually the stage people like to throw around since it's an iconic location from the first game but I do like more creative ideas when it comes to GS stages. Having the Wise One pop up into the stage is genius and I can already tell how good the music will be

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I'm good at remembering anniversaries: as a little bit of a music nerd I like to keep track of the anniversaries of my favorite albums releasing. I don't know as many games as I do albums, but Golden Sun's anniversary is pretty important to me. I feel pretty sad whenever I see the amount of years increasing because I really think we should have gotten more substantial representation in Smash for a series that has been around as long as Golden Sun and is as beloved as the series is. The first Golden Sun came out before I was born, but these games still mean a lot to me, and the fact that the 15 year anniversary passed up already two years ago reminds me again that time seems to go faster as you get older, but also that GS is nearing the age of many series that were considered retro when they first got characters in Smash. Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, etc... People love those characters, I don't see why we can't get someone like Isaac in Smash just because he doesn't have any new games.

Smash Lord
The first Golden Sun came out before I was born, but these games still mean a lot to me, and the fact that the 15 year anniversary passed up already two years ago reminds me again that time seems to go faster as you get older, but also that GS is nearing the age of many series that were considered retro when they first got characters in Smash. Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, etc... People love those characters, I don't see why we can't get someone like Isaac in Smash just because he doesn't have any new games.
Exactly, Sakurai really needs to consider getting older characters that aren't from the NES era. Some of the best remaining newcomers are in the N64-GCN eras

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Well, happy birthday Golden Sun! We hope it shines again!

And nothing happened today related to the franchise, as expected :(

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, while there's been a lull in news, there is a potential beam of light on this Golden Day.

While I'm not going to get my hopes up for a big reveal, Reggie has stated in the past that Gamescom is a place where Nintendo likes to make announcements. Keep an eye on this.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm craving another reveal. It may also give us more of an insight how Sakurai is picking characters this time around.
I think I want a reveal less because of the long gap between news, but more because of this part. We have Inkling and Ridley, who both have immense popularity to their name, but two don't make a pattern by themselves. Hopefully the next one sends a clear message to where this roster is going. Oh, you're showing K. Rool? Cool, the ballot is probably making a big impact, and we can have our ears perked up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, while there's been a lull in news, there is a potential beam of light on this Golden Day.

While I'm not going to get my hopes up for a big reveal, Reggie has stated in the past that Gamescom is a place where Nintendo likes to make announcements. Keep an eye on this.
When’s Gamescom?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Happy Birthday Golden Sun!

I hope Nintendo acknowledges Golden Sun today. :)

Exactly, Sakurai really needs to consider getting older characters that aren't from the NES era. Some of the best remaining newcomers are in the N64-GCN eras
The only character that I really think fits that mold is Issac.

What other characters from that era that do you think can work well?

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Agreed. After tomorrow, a lot will be weeded out, but more will come as we get closer to December.
Not sure if I missed anything but, where we expecting some kind of announcement?

When do you guys think we will get the next Nintendo Direct? I think it's about time for some news!

D

Deleted member

Going to be supporting the Golden boy Isaac, from the sidelines always supporting him if he gets added he will get a congratulations from me.

Octopath Traveler is the bomb, Primrose, Olberic, Cyrus, and H'aanit are my favourite characters.

Don't expect much from Gamescon.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Today I was curious about how many people are in the Camelot team of the Golden Sun original team (I used The Lost Age credits because I doubt they changed a lot when they launched two games in one year of difference). It's funny TLA was developed by 39 people, I now understand why some people expressed their surprise when they were awared Camelot was a small company.
Anyways, I put in the spoiler the name of the 14 people (and their roles in TLA) who are still working in Camelot.
Game Planning: Hiroyuki Takahashi, Shugo Takahashi
Assistant Director: Yusuke Sugimoto
Game design: Ayumi Shindo
Programming System: Yasuhiro Taguchi
Programming Battle: Haruki Kodera
Programming Field: Akiko Sato, Kenji Numaya,
User interface: Yutaka Yamamoto
Battle backgrounds: Hiroto Nakashima
Graphics Direction: Fumihide Aoki
Music: Motoi Sakuraba (although he's a freelancer)
Sound effect: Hiroyuki Hamada
Sound direction: Masaaki Uno
Some of them have changed their roles.

Also, a curiosity. Watching the TLA credits, we can know what rights Nintendo has of the Golden Sun property. It seems Nintendo has the total plenty rights of the characters and music. The other aspects like programming, scenario and game are shared between the two.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Today I was curious about how many people are in the Camelot team of the Golden Sun original team (I used The Lost Age credits because I doubt they changed a lot when they launched two games in one year of difference). It's funny TLA was developed by 39 people, I now understand why some people expressed their surprise when they were awared Camelot was a small company.
Anyways, I put in the spoiler the name of the 14 people (and their roles in TLA) who are still working in Camelot.
Game Planning: Hiroyuki Takahashi, Shugo Takahashi
Assistant Director: Yusuke Sugimoto
Game design: Ayumi Shindo
Programming System: Yasuhiro Taguchi
Programming Battle: Haruki Kodera
Programming Field: Akiko Sato, Kenji Numaya,
User interface: Yutaka Yamamoto
Battle backgrounds: Hiroto Nakashima
Graphics Direction: Fumihide Aoki
Music: Motoi Sakuraba (although he's a freelancer)
Sound effect: Hiroyuki Hamada
Sound direction: Masaaki Uno
Some of them has changed his roles.

Also, a curiosity. Watching the TLA credits, we can know what rights Nintendo has of the Golden Sun property. It seems Nintendo has the total plenty rights of the characters and music. The other aspects like programming, scenario and game are shared between the two.
Yeah, I knew either the game or the characters were co-owned, couldn’t remember which. Just checked as well. Isaac is 100% first party (as is the music).

https://youtu.be/XkTdA-aWPHM
@5:30

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I mean I can respect them keeping Golden Sun to Camelot and the Takahashi Brothers, but I think Camelot's going to need some backup if they want to make Golden Sun 4 and not just have it be a late 3DS game like Dark Dawn was for the DS

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I mean I can respect them keeping Golden Sun to Camelot and the Takahashi Brothers, but I think Camelot's going to need some backup if they want to make Golden Sun 4 and not just have it be a late 3DS game like Dark Dawn was for the DS
Agreed. The next game needs to be on the Switch.

But we know from ACES they can make Switch games.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
The only character that I really think fits that mold is Issac.

What other characters from that era that do you think can work well?
I can think of a few...

Ray (Custom Robo), who hails from a little known series that has had more entries than you’d think, and represents one of the funnest action party games on the GameCube; offers a wide assortment of weapons that can be used for a really fun mecha fighter. Saki (Sin & Punishment), who represents an incredibly innovative rail shooter series, and like his assist trpoghy, can have a moveset that reflects the quick and action packed gameplay of his games. Andy (Advance Wars), who represents another one of Intelligent Systems fantastic franchises, and can easily use a strategic bomb and trap based fighting style, somewhat reminiscent of Snake. Those are just some of my favorites...there’s also Chibi-Robo, and Starfy (who I’m aware is an assist, but don’t let it fool you. This character has potential). And even more obscure ones that are never brought up, like Cubivore and Doshin the Giant.

There are a lot of really cool, unique characters from highly underrated games and series. Of course, as you can tell by this thread’s activity, Isaac is certainly the cream of the crop. And rightfully so, with the first two Golden Sun games being rather groundbreaking, and Isaac having an unfairly vast moveset pool. But in my opinion, there are plenty of great characters that can be pulled from that era. And that’s why I will never stop making the argument that Sakurai should really start pulling retros from places other than just the NES. There are a lot of gems being sat on by the Smash team...we just need Isaac to open the gate for them.

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Hmm if Nintendo owns the characters, maybe this is the reason Camelot never put a Golden Sun cameo in their sports titles, Nintedo never gave them the green light to do so :-/

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
https://www.trademarkia.com/golden-sun-77749719.html
The trademark is 100% owned by Nintendo which means Nintendo can do whatever they want with the series, but I guess since they respect Camelot as the original creators, they are the only studio Nintendo would rely on for the series
Normally Nintendo assumes the trademarks from outside of Japan because they're the responsible of the distribution and localization. Apart from Golden Sun, there are other examples like Pokemon (https://www.trademarkia.com/pokemon-76178760.html ) or the last entry of Kirby ( https://www.trademarkia.com/kirby-star-allies-87607192.html ). Kirby is interesting because it's the only franchise that its original creator appears before Nintendo (meaning that HAL Laboratory has more rights than Nintendo)
It would be interesting if we could see the japanese trademark. If Nintendo only appears, they can do whatever they want with the franchise (or at least, with the name). But I really doubt that's the case.

Yo check out this awesome artwork from Stoic Seraphim on Twitter which has Isaac facing off against Robin from Fire Emblem.
Amazing art. I wish I have that skills... T-T

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Isaac was my ballot vote years ago. Go ahead and add me to the supporters list, True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior
Done
  1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*
  6. Accursed
  7. Adeptmune
  8. Agk0001
  9. AgatioGanon
  10. Aguki90
  11. airConditioner