• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
That attitude from the devs really needs to change. If we keep only picking the latest and NES, the longer we go the more console generations we’ll ignore. New characters who miss their shot while they’re fresh will fall by the wayside and be forgotten. I feel like that’s missing the spirit of Smash.
It's the one blemish with the roster selection and I'm glad that it isn't just me who's expressing it. It's so narrow-minded and it makes it too obvious that their approach is "marketing first". It seems like this game is supposed to answer for that issue, but only time can tell how committed they are to that and if by the end, they'll have remedied the absence of characters or entire series that they've kicked to the curb. With the long-standing demand for K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac dating back to Brawl, they're the first we should look out for. There's something seriously wrong if we can't get them in this time.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
That attitude from the devs really needs to change. If we keep only picking the latest and NES, the longer we go the more console generations we’ll ignore. New characters who miss their shot while they’re fresh will fall by the wayside and be forgotten. I feel like that’s missing the spirit of Smash.
Agreed. “A celebration of Nintendo’s history” seems to essentially mean a celebration of what’s already been in Smash, what’s new, and the NES. That’s obviously an oversimplified way of putting it, and I don’t mean to knock all of Sakurai’s work and everything he has built Smash to be. His character choices I feel are pretty much always brilliant and wonderfully executed with VERY few exceptions. It’s just a shame that many characters born at the wrong time get overshadowed for no significant reason other than timing. Just sounds a little silly when, again, this is supposed to be a celebration of all of Nintendo’s history.
It's the one blemish with the roster selection and I'm glad that it isn't just me who's expressing it. It's so narrow-minded and it makes it too obvious that their approach is "marketing first". It seems like this game is supposed to answer for that issue, but only time can tell how committed they are to that and if by the end, they'll have remedied the absence of characters or entire series that they've kicked to the curb. With the long-standing demand for K. Rool, Geno, and Isaac dating back to Brawl, they're the first we should look out for. There's something seriously wrong if we can't get them in this time.
If K. Rool is somehow left out... I have no idea how anyone could fairly justify that decision. He is a perfect example of a Nintendo all-star currently absent from Smash. And his lack of recent appearances coupled with his still very immense popularity only further proves this.

Last edited:

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
What a drama.

But anyways, I wouldn't put much fate in that Vergeben leak. He is known to change a lot of things of his original claims and recopilating rumours/leaks of the internet and presenting them as if there were its own (Star Fox Racing rumour, the Street Fighter season pass, Ridley being in Smash, etc.).

For example, I'm gonna say Nintendo will present a n64 mini in a few days (maybe tomorrow considering they will release the Q2 sales). A new 2d metroid is being developed by Mercury Steam. Also, probably they will reveal a 2D Mario in the next direct. That means I'm a leaker? Nah, I read some guys who are less well-known but they were right before (though the 2DMario (probably a New Super Mario Bros itineration or a deluxe version) has been said by a lot people tbf).
If he was reliable, he wouldn't edit his leaks.

But that doesn't mean Isaac is guaranteed or even plausible. Everyone who asked for him know Isaac doesn't have a lot of chances to be a newcomer. His best chance is the ballot and we don't even know how he did it and if Sakurai and his team will use it to choose all the newcomers.

Anyways, tomorrow we'll know if Mario Tennis Aces is a million seller or not. And, if it's, we'll know how much it sold.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Glad to see other people agree with me when it comes to the issue of Smash choosing to ignore much of Nintendo’s middle history because it is either less marketable or “less relevant.” This whole nonsense of Smash only being an advertising machine needs to stop (I’m not saying Smash is, but a lot of people believe that, and I’d say even Sakurai gets some pressure from up high).

What I probably hate most is people act like irrelevancy is the end all, be all to far too many characters. Never mind how interesting or unique they could be, or how could they could add something else to the game. Nope. Irrelevant. Never happening. I’ve also seen people act like introducing an irrelevant character takes a spot from a relevant character, nevermind the fact those two ideas don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

That’s what kills me. We don’t have to go all in on one or the other. My dream for Smash has always been for it to add equally from history and from relevant current names. There is no reason other than some perceived marketability of characters to only add the newer/more relevant ones, and then a single Retro/WTF rep. This game for example, if we get 7 newcomers. Why couldn’t we do Isaac, Geno, King K Rool and Ridley (he falls under more relevant I guess), Inkling, Ashley, and Bandanna Dee. Why is there such an insistence that we have to be so tied down to more relevant characters, especially when there is so much fan outcry for some of the older ones???

I’ve never seen the issue with doing fan service in a game about fan service. Especially when I’m almost inclined to believe a lot of people who bring up relevancy seem to be more interested in being right than they are supporting characters they want in the game, or sometimes as if the presence of a couple fan picks will absolutely devestate the chances of their favorite more modern picks...

I really want this game to be for the fans. Look at the ballot and everything that has been seriously looked at for Smash in speculations. I know we don’t make up as huge of a portion of a fan base as we’d like to think. But if they add in a couple of more relevant characters, most of that larger base is going to be satisfied anyway Especially the people who are just happy to play Smash and play as say Pikachu, it’s not like the roster has a ton of glaring holes to more casual audiences at this point. So go for the fans, give them some of the characters they want, and make this the Ultimate Smash game all around. That can only be good PR for Nintendo as a whole.

I’ll try not to be too optimistic, but it does look to be the direction their going. Stage hazard toggle? Check. No cuts? Check. Cut verterans that were highly requested? Check. Ridley, Inklings, and even Daisy? Check. Faster gameplay? Check. More competitive and more emphasis on techniques and offense? Check. You start to see my point. We don’t have anything on the irrelevance point of view unfortunately, but things are looking good, and I’m officially riding the Smash hype train again. So I choose to believe that Ultimate will achieve at least some of our dreams.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Glad to see other people agree with me when it comes to the issue of Smash choosing to ignore much of Nintendo’s middle history because it is either less marketable or “less relevant.” This whole nonsense of Smash only being an advertising machine needs to stop (I’m not saying Smash is, but a lot of people believe that, and I’d say even Sakurai gets some pressure from up high).

That’s what kills me. We don’t have to go all in on one or the other. My dream for Smash has always been for it to add equally from history and from relevant current names. There is no reason other than some perceived marketability of characters to only add the newer/more relevant ones, and then a single Retro/WTF rep. This game for example, if we get 7 newcomers. Why couldn’t we do Isaac, Geno, King K Rool and Ridley (he falls under more relevant I guess), Inkling, Ashley, and Bandanna Dee. Why is there such an insistence that we have to be so tied down to more relevant characters, especially when there is so much fan outcry for some of the older ones???
I'm not even kidding when I was just thinking about this to myself a moment ago, and these were the exact characters I thought would be a perfect representation of a fanservice Smash. Add Elma and Mimikyu (which have become plenty popular in their own right) to cover promotion, then a few echos, and even without completely devoting the roster to it, they've already revived a huge chunk of the middle history lost to poor timing.

I'm not at all convinced that most of their focus will be shifted in that direction, but if they have limited slots and have already shown to be including a lot of fan demands in the gameplay, they want to make it seem like that's where they're headed.

That's why if most of those characters are missing again, Sakurai and Nintendo will receive some significant heat and criticism, and it won't be pretty.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm not even kidding when I was just thinking about this to myself a moment ago, and these were the exact characters I thought would be a perfect representation of a fanservice Smash. Add Elma and Mimikyu (which have become plenty popular in their own right) to cover promotion, then a few echos, and even without completely devoting the roster to it, they've already revived a huge chunk of the middle history lost to poor timing.

I'm not at all convinced that most of their focus will be shifted in that direction, but if they have limited slots and have already shown to be including a lot of fan demands in the gameplay, they want to make it seem like that's where they're headed.

That's why if most of those characters are missing again, Sakurai and Nintendo will receive some significant heat and criticism, and it won't be pretty.
I think if none of them get in, Nintendo’s going to start facing some serious heat about the ballot. A lot of general perception has skewed that the ballot winner wasn’t exactly Bayonetta like Nintendo claimed (or at least her place more worked out for Nintendo than anything). Ridley was likely a big presence, as were Inklings, so they’ll be able to mitigate some of it. But seriously, at least King K Rool had to have some sort of major presence on the ballot, possibly ranking as one of the highest (and again, if Bayonetta can get first in Europe supposedly, I’d believe that someone like King K Rool could be first in Japan or the America’s).

I think there is an air of frustration around the seemingly ignored fan requested characters that don’t fit the mold that especially Smash 4 adhered to. When sizable fandoms are constantly ignored for first party characters that are basically limited by Nintendo themselves, I suspect you’ll only develop more problems in the long run. Ridley was a big win for fandoms, let’s just keep it up.

Also, I swear people act like including a fan request is something inherently bad. Sure, it’s a character that isn’t yours, but guess what the best part is? You don’t have to hear about that character anymore and spend time debating their viability (Though again, I think some people are just looking to be right more than anything).

LucasTheSmasher

Smash Rookie
I had an idea that he should be like shulk by changing djinn for different psynergy, but i also feel he should be unique, so nah.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Thanks for the cheery words, guys. But I still have no hope.

Remember when the Alola starters were being revealed? We got Litten, and it was like "OMG, cute little fire kitty!". And then we were shown off Torracat, and it was even better. And then that concept art leaked, and we saw the Incineroar was the worst Pokémon ever designed. It was just a leak. And there were so many other leaks running around. Like this one:

And many more. So it was just one leak among many.

But as soon as I saw the concept art leak, I KNEW that was what we were going to get. We wouldn't get a good evolution, or a cat at all. Just that monstrosity. I tried to deny it, I wrote off the leaked images as much as I could (though when Mallow was revealed after having been in the concept art, it pretty much finished it, I STILL wanted to deny it). But I knew.

And I have a similar feeling about Isaac. He's not getting in. Nintendo can't promote from him, and they aren't interested in continuing the series. It's just a gut feeling, but I can't get away from it.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Remember when the Alola starters were being revealed? We got Litten, and it was like "OMG, cute little fire kitty!". And then we were shown off Torracat, and it was even better. And then that concept art leaked, and we saw the Incineroar was the worst Pokémon ever designed. It was just a leak. And there were so many other leaks running around. Like this one:

But as soon as I saw the concept art leak, I KNEW that was what we were going to get. We wouldn't get a good evolution, or a cat at all. Just that monstrosity. I tried to deny it, I wrote off the leaked images as much as I could (though when Mallow was revealed after having been in the concept art, it pretty much finished it, I STILL wanted to deny it). But I knew.

And I have a similar feeling about Isaac. He's not getting in. Nintendo can't promote from him, and they aren't interested in continuing the series. It's just a gut feeling, but I can't get away from it.
I hope your gut feeling is wrong my friend never lose hope.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Incineroar is cool though. Only thing I'm not a big fan of is the color scheme. Yeah, he's my least favorite of the Alola starters, but that's because Decidueye and Primarina are some of my favorite starters in general. :p

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What a drama.

But anyways, I wouldn't put much fate in that Vergeben leak. He is known to change a lot of things of his original claims and recopilating rumours/leaks of the internet and presenting them as if there were its own (Star Fox Racing rumour, the Street Fighter season pass, Ridley being in Smash, etc.).

For example, I'm gonna say Nintendo will present a n64 mini in a few days (maybe tomorrow considering they will release the Q2 sales). A new 2d metroid is being developed by Mercury Steam. Also, probably they will reveal a 2D Mario in the next direct. That means I'm a leaker? Nah, I read some guys who are less well-known but they were right before (though the 2DMario (probably a New Super Mario Bros itineration or a deluxe version) has been said by a lot people tbf).
If he was reliable, he wouldn't edit his leaks.

But that doesn't mean Isaac is guaranteed or even plausible. Everyone who asked for him know Isaac doesn't have a lot of chances to be a newcomer. His best chance is the ballot and we don't even know how he did it and if Sakurai and his team will use it to choose all the newcomers.

Anyways, tomorrow we'll know if Mario Tennis Aces is a million seller or not. And, if it's, we'll know how much it sold.
Can I pretend you’re a legit leaker though? I really want a new 2D Metroid.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I definitely get the gut feeling. But our minds are tricky things that love to play confirmation biases and remind us of being shifted in the past, so those feelings shouldn’t entirely disuade you from a little bit of optimism.

The difference with this versus Pokémon’s situation is that we don’t have any real idea of anything right now beyond E3. We don’t have any information to swing us toward any particular direction, or prove even the direction of the newcomers. We have a lot of fan service decisions for Smash so far, so at the very least, I’d argue for now we have some hope. And certainly less to go on in terms of the negative direction.

We just mainly need some new info more than anything...

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
How about a song list for a Golden Sun stage? Obviously, both of the preexisting songs used on Norfair and Palutena's Temple should return in some form, but what about new inclusions?

Venus Lighthouse, Isaac's Battle Theme, a standard boss theme medley, and a world map theme medley would be my obvious "must have" picks. For some personal choices, I'd also throw in TLA's sailing theme and a Sol Sanctum / Elemental Stars medley that starts out with high energy but transitions into a slower-paced song ala the Magicant / Eight Melodies remix. Golden Sun has an atmospheric side to its soundtrack that should be given some love.
- Marching Forward With Determination
- Karst and Agatio BattleTheme
- Colossus Battle Theme
- Sand Prince Theme
- Boss Human Theme
- Elemental Rocks Medley

Annd damn there are waaaay too many beautiful songs ><

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I am fully confident that the newcomers are going to ballot characters like Isaac, Geno, k.Rool, Ashley, Shantae, Banjo, Impa, Skull Kid, Simon, and Bandanna Dee as opposed to recent or NES/SNES characters. Sakurai has been really going for fanservice this time around and there is no way that ballot was just for Bayo.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Agreed. “A celebration of Nintendo’s history” seems to essentially mean a celebration of what’s already been in Smash, what’s new, and the NES. That’s obviously an oversimplified way of putting it, and I don’t mean to knock all of Sakurai’s work and everything he has built Smash to be. His character choices I feel are pretty much always brilliant and wonderfully executed with VERY few exceptions. It’s just a shame that many characters born at the wrong time get overshadowed for no significant reason other than timing. Just sounds a little silly when, again, this is supposed to be a celebration of all of Nintendo’s history.

If K. Rool is somehow left out... I have no idea how anyone could fairly justify that decision. He is a perfect example of a Nintendo all-star currently absent from Smash. And his lack of recent appearances coupled with his still very immense popularity only further proves this.

What I probably hate most is people act like irrelevancy is the end all, be all to far too many characters. Never mind how interesting or unique they could be, or how could they could add something else to the game. Nope. Irrelevant. Never happening. I’ve also seen people act like introducing an irrelevant character takes a spot from a relevant character, nevermind the fact those two ideas don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

I’ve never seen the issue with doing fan service in a game about fan service. Especially when I’m almost inclined to believe a lot of people who bring up relevancy seem to be more interested in being right than they are supporting characters they want in the game, or sometimes as if the presence of a couple fan picks will absolutely devestate the chances of their favorite more modern picks...

I really want this game to be for the fans. Look at the ballot and everything that has been seriously looked at for Smash in speculations. I know we don’t make up as huge of a portion of a fan base as we’d like to think. But if they add in a couple of more relevant characters, most of that larger base is going to be satisfied anyway Especially the people who are just happy to play Smash and play as say Pikachu, it’s not like the roster has a ton of glaring holes to more casual audiences at this point. So go for the fans, give them some of the characters they want, and make this the Ultimate Smash game all around. That can only be good PR for Nintendo as a whole.

I’ll try not to be too optimistic, but it does look to be the direction their going. Stage hazard toggle? Check. No cuts? Check. Cut verterans that were highly requested? Check. Ridley, Inklings, and even Daisy? Check. Faster gameplay? Check. More competitive and more emphasis on techniques and offense? Check. You start to see my point. We don’t have anything on the irrelevance point of view unfortunately, but things are looking good, and I’m officially riding the Smash hype train again. So I choose to believe that Ultimate will achieve at least some of our dreams.
If relevancy was an issue, we'd have never gotten :jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::jigglypuff::ness2::popo::gw::pit::rob::4jigglypuff::4ness::4drmario::4gaw::4duckhunt::4lucas::4feroy:
Disregarding fan favourite status, obviously.

Seriously, a character being "irrelevant" is such a ridiculous reason to not include them.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
If relevancy was an issue, we'd have never gotten :jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee::gawmelee::jigglypuff::ness2::popo::gw::pit::rob::4jigglypuff::4ness::4drmario::4gaw::4duckhunt::4lucas::4feroy:
Disregarding fan favourite status, obviously.

Seriously, a character being "irrelevant" is such a ridiculous reason to not include them.
Relevancy doesn't apply to Icies, G&W, Pit, R.O.B., and DH because they're all retros. Even if the others were no longer relevant, the fact is that they were kept because of the fan favorite aspect, as you say. You can't disregard it because relevancy only applies to veterans when cuts have to be made. At the time they were chosen, they were relevant so it's not like we wouldn't have gotten them.

It's still unfair since just because newcomers don't have the benefit of a Smash fanbase immortalizing them doesn't mean relevancy is now suddenly a good reason to exclude them. Seriously, Nintendo should look past the short term with the dollar signs. It's not subtle and it's stagnating the potential pool of newcomers.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Can I pretend you’re a legit leaker though? I really want a new 2D Metroid.
It's basically confirmed we'll have a new 2D Metroid. Apart from official speculation (new story in Samus Returns, the last game sold decently (though it didn't arrive at 1 million) and was highly appraised by everyone, Nintendo was happy with the Mercury steam work and direction...), we have a guy in the internet (more exactly, a spanish guy) who insisted there would be a new 2d metroid in 2016 and said that game would be revealed in the 2017's E3 (and giving specific information of the title). And after that, he said like two or three months after the Samus Returns launching that a new 2d metroid was in development, but that one just started.

The funny thing was some guys noticed him and exposed it, and he quickly dismissed his information saying Mercury Steam wasn't the responsible of the title. So yeah, basically he is a friend of some developer (o a developer himself) of the Mercury team and he ****ed up for the minute of glory xD

If you want to know a bit more: https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-2d-metroid-in-the-works/

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice

I know how you feel man. I don't think there are many people in this thread that don't know the feeling. I didn't give up hope for Issac in smash 4 until DLC was finished. If Isaac doesn't make the base roster for smash 5 I will support him for DLC. If he doesn't make DLC I will support him for smash 6 and so on.

How do you think the Ridley fans felt wanting one character for well over a decade, and being told no over and repeatedly. If they gave up on him he wouldn't be in smash as we speak. If we all give up on Isaac then he really won't ever get in. You never know with Sakurai. A month from now we could be analyzing Isaac's gameplay trailer talking about his moveset, and how we can't wait to play him. You never know.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Relevancy doesn't apply to Icies, G&W, Pit, R.O.B., and DH because they're all retros. Even if the others were no longer relevant, the fact is that they were kept because of the fan favorite aspect, as you say. You can't disregard it because relevancy only applies to veterans when cuts have to be made. At the time they were chosen, they were relevant so it's not like we wouldn't have gotten them.

It's still unfair since just because newcomers don't have the benefit of a Smash fanbase immortalizing them doesn't mean relevancy is now suddenly a good reason to exclude them. Seriously, Nintendo should look past the short term with the dollar signs. It's not subtle and it's stagnating the potential pool of newcomers.
What I'm saying is that, disregarding the "Retro Rep" thing, Game & Watch, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, R.O.B and Duck Hunt hadn't been seen in years. They were irrelevant to Nintendo as a company when Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 came out, Nintendo had little to no reason to bring them back besides fanservice/history celebration (and in the case of once they were veterans, being grandfathered in).

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
What I'm saying is that, disregarding the "Retro Rep" thing, Game & Watch, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, R.O.B and Duck Hunt hadn't been seen in years. They were irrelevant to Nintendo as a company when Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 came out, Nintendo had little to no reason to bring them back besides fanservice/history celebration (and in the case of once they were veterans, being grandfathered in).
It does seem like a double standard, doesn't it? Both cases have their reasoning, but it makes it seem like they don't want to take a risk with somebody who's old but not old enough and still unproven simply because they didn't already have the benefit of the best promotion possible: Smash.

It's a sight for sore eyes and it'll continue to be until they finally patch it up and include the fan favorites we've constantly shouted for, If they're still absent by DLC, we'll just continue to be loud and prove to them the audience and potential they have if they can't already see it themselves.

StormC

Smash Hero
I am fully confident that the newcomers are going to ballot characters like Isaac, Geno, k.Rool, Ashley, Shantae, Banjo, Impa, Skull Kid, Simon, and Bandanna Dee as opposed to recent or NES/SNES characters. Sakurai has been really going for fanservice this time around and there is no way that ballot was just for Bayo.
So where does Inkling fit into this world view?

The only characters - first party anyway - that would be added primarily because of fan demand are probably K. Rool and Isaac. Characters like Bandana Dee and Ashley might have sizable fan demand but also represent modern installments of their franchises. Being popular is just a plus for them.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The unfortunate reality is that even if they still don’t listen to fan requests, there isn’t much we can do. I’m sure I speak for several people when I say that we’re already sold on the game. Barring a cataclysmic event like cutting Ridley after revealing him, we’re going to probably buy. As will most fans and people who want to play Smash Bros. They’ve done too good of a job with this one marketing wise already, and even conceptually speaking.

I know some people have issues with how loudly people advocate for certain characters, but that’s just the reality. That’s the only chance we’ve got. And while there are bad ways of doing and good ways of doing it, I think the “irrelevant” community is only going to face more flak going forward if none of them get in this time. I’ve seen people already call King K Rool and Geno supporters delusional (Strangely enough, not Isaac though), I’d rather that not be a precedent set going forward.

KMDP

Smash Legend
So where does Inkling fit into this world view?
Splatoon was incredibly successful (relative to the sales figures of the Wii U) and Sakurai probably didn't need the ballot to know they'd be a popular pick for Smash Ultimate.

StormC

Smash Hero
Splatoon was incredibly successful (relative to the sales figures of the Wii U) and Sakurai probably didn't need the ballot to know they'd be a popular pick for Smash Ultimate.
It isn't even about whether or not they're popular (although the success of Splatoon sorta goes hand in hand with that). They're the newest, biggest IP of Nintendo in recent years. It's like having Villager in Smash 4 or Olimar in Brawl. It's something that would happen even without "fan demand."

I'm sure the ballot will be significant for roster choices in this game but it's not going to read like a top 10 list from it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You can't disregard it because relevancy only applies to veterans when cuts have to be made. At the time they were chosen, they were relevant so it's not like we wouldn't have gotten them.
Ness's only game was released in 1994, several years before Smash 64, so even then he wasn't particularly recent even back then.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ness's only game was released in 1994, several years before Smash 64, so even then he wasn't particularly recent even back then.
Not to mention that, had Mother 3 come out on the N64 as intended, Ness would have been replaced with Lucas in Melee.
It isn't even about whether or not they're popular (although the success of Splatoon sorta goes hand in hand with that). They're the newest, biggest IP of Nintendo in recent years. It's like having Villager in Smash 4 or Olimar in Brawl. It's something that would happen even without "fan demand."

I'm sure the ballot will be significant for roster choices in this game but it's not going to read like a top 10 list from it.
Yeah, that was kinda my point. :laugh:

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The series as a whole was relevant was my point. The decision to include Ness (A.K.A.: EarthBound content at all) had to have been fueled by the upcoming game, but since EB64 was in development hell at that time, Ness was going to be the only sensible pick. It reads like a special exception to the rule.

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
As unlikely as it is of being true, this leak actually gave me hope for Isaac. :laugh:

Especially:
As many have figured, the Smash Ballot was indeed used to plan Smash Bros Ultimate. However, the entire concept of the game is using the ballot as a center point. Sakurai is making newly relevant characters a very low priority, so don't expect characters like Decidueye, Spring Man, Rex and Pyra or Edelgard in the base roster, but they may very well be DLC.
Isaac was much, much more popular than Sakurai expected, especially in Europe, but not on par with Ridley or K Rool. This surprise popularity led to Sakurai making him high priority alongside K. Rool, Ridley and Inkling.
Of course, it's probably wishful thinking. But a guy can dream...

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Remember when the Alola starters were being revealed? We got Litten, and it was like "OMG, cute little fire kitty!". And then we were shown off Torracat, and it was even better. And then that concept art leaked, and we saw the Incineroar was the worst Pokémon ever designed.

I gotta say, about Incineroar I 200% agree with you! :laugh:
It's absolutely the worst Pokémon ever designed. Worst than that, this is a poor attempt to make YET ANOTHER Fire/Fighting type without clearly admitting it. He's got the closest possible type to Fighting, which is Dark, and he commonly uses Fighting type moves. He's bipedal for NO reason, looking at his previous forms.

But I've been off-topic for too long there, sorry. :drohmy:

About the whole "Smash is a giant ad", I agree wholeheartedly, this has to stop!
That reminds me of the made up rosters we made back in Smash 4. Those were cool, I should try to see if I still got mine.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
As unlikely as it is of being true, this leak actually gave me hope for Isaac. :laugh:
I've seen that before. Way too detailed and focused on Sakurai's thoughts to be real, but it does bring up an interesting question. Is there reason to believe that Isaac and Golden Sun may have noticeably higher popularity in Europe than any other region? Isaac seems to be loved most by American fans, and the games themselves seemed to fluctuate between selling best in America or Japan, but never Europe.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The way how Smash's selection of newcomers pretty much ignoring or C-listing fan faves from the middle history of Nintendo-games (probably most experimental and colorful) into forgettable summon roles is why I've slowly become less into the Smash-series compared to many general fans as a whole. I lost my keenness to these less popular/mainstream characters over time due this, mostly because I didn't know what could be there to keep the characters going due not receiving anything remotely new for their series, or outright have incomplete conclusion (Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment).

Glad to know I'm not alone with this observation though. Right now my whole interest on the series in the future will be hinging on if Sakurai will be allowing Smash Bros. to tap into Isaac or other fan favorites in it - otherwise I more or less will be knowing what I get in the future anyway, and it's not exciting me anymore.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
About the whole "Smash is a giant ad", I agree wholeheartedly, this has to stop!
That reminds me of the made up rosters we made back in Smash 4. Those were cool, I should try to see if I still got mine.
Also agree here. I still like the roster overall, but I feel disappointed that we usually seem to get the newest characters off the block and that relevance always seems to determine the roster. We already know for a fact that characters from series with no immediate future are typically lower priority, Sakurai has said as much. It's natural for the most recent characters to be higher priority, they have bigger advertising and popularity appeal. However, characters like Isaac are still clearly wanted by the community even though they aren't recent. I don't see why characters like that can't be included at least every once in a while, instead of never, which is how it is now.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I've added you.

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*
  6. Accursed
  7. Adeptmune
  8. Agk0001
  9. AgatioGanon
  10. Aguki90
  11. airConditioner
  12. aldelaro5
  13. alguidrag
  14. Altais
  15. Amberloo
  16. AncientArk
  17. andimidna
  18. Androobie
  19. Apollyon
  20. Aqua Rock X
  21. AquaDork1
  22. AquaSol
  23. Arcadenik
  24. Arsenal234,
  25. Arteen
  26. Asian_Charizard
  27. Astraltar
  28. Aureola
  29. Aurora Jenny
  30. AustarusIV
  31. AwesomeCauliflower68
  32. Awesomedude444
  33. Backgammon
  34. Balgorxz
  35. BandannaWaddleDee
  36. Bane84
  37. bassem6
  38. Bassoonist
  39. Billybae10k
  40. Bingoshi
  41. Bkupa666
  42. Blackwolf666
  43. Blaziken
  44. BluePikmin11
  45. BoltDragon
  46. BoN~
  47. Bowser-Daimao
  48. BravadoMan_13
  49. BridgesWithTurtles
  50. Browny
  51. Buddy002
  52. Bunny8093
  53. BUnit
  54. Burruni
  55. Calane
  56. CactusBlah
  57. candyissweet
  58. Capita
  59. Cap'nChreest
  60. Captain Toad
  61. CardStealer1
  62. Chapter Serf
  63. CheckmateChuck
  64. CheeseBroJoe
  65. Cheezey Bites
  66. Chromfirmed
  67. ChronoPenguin
  68. ClinkStryphart
  69. CliffJumper
  70. cocy965
  71. Cos.
  72. Coaltergeist
  73. Crap-Zapper
  74. CrossDispatcher
  75. cybersai
  76. Dalek_Kolt
  77. Darkdarkness
  78. DatoSm
  79. Dendros
  80. Desert Croc
  81. Destroyer713
  82. Dezeray112
  83. Dhragen
  84. Diddy Kong
  85. Dimensionsword64
  86. DivinexRose
  87. DJ3DS
  88. DJBor
  89. D-Man9293
  90. DogManStar
  91. DoodleDuck97
  92. Doncalot
  93. DraginHikari
  94. Drakonis
  95. Dromader
  96. DukeNapoleon
  97. DustyPumpkin
  98. e105beta
  99. Eagle
  100. EclipseSmash
  101. EddyBearr
  102. ED Cantu
  103. Edlocke
  104. egaddmario
  105. ElPanandero
  106. El Syd
  107. EndlessChrom
  108. EndlessRain
  109. EnhaloTricks
  110. ETFruitNinja
  111. ethanrodgers223
  112. Ezequileste
  113. Falgor
  114. Falkoopa
  115. False Sense
  116. FamiconDisk
  117. Felix_the_Slayer
  118. fenyx4
  119. ferioku
  120. Fire Rider
  121. Fire_Voyager
  122. FirstBlade
  123. Flareon
  124. Flintike
  125. fogbadge.
  126. foolssigma
  127. FreddyOnDrugs
  128. Friesnchip
  129. GalacticPetey
  130. Geno Boost
  131. Ghirahilda
  132. GladiusVortex
  133. GM_3826
  134. Golden Icarus
  135. GoodGrief741
  136. Gotann
  137. GraveEclipse567
  138. heylodom
  139. hwrdjacob
  140. iam8bit
  141. Icana
  142. iDazedX_x
  143. Inawordyes
  144. IntelliHeath1
  145. Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
  146. isaac3000
  147. Isaac: Venus Adept
  148. IvanQuote
  149. JaidynReiman
  150. Jak_spoon
  151. Jamurai
  152. JDogindy
  153. JohnnySparkxs
  154. Just a random scrub
  155. jweb22
  156. KCCHIEFS27
  157. KeniththeGatherer
  158. KeybladeSmasher
  159. Kikaru
  160. Kind Dedede
  161. KingCloud
  162. KingShadow
  163. KiraYoshikage
  164. KirbyDragon
  165. Kirbyfan391
  166. Kisae
  167. KMDP
  168. KoalaNut
  169. Kokirikory
  170. Koori
  171. Kremling Man
  172. Kumatora
  173. Kycse
  174. Lady Palutena
  175. Lampy
  176. LaniusShrike
  177. lanky_gunner
  178. LasermasterA
  179. Leafeon523
  180. LeeYawshee
  181. legendofrob1
  182. LemmyKoopa
  183. lightdasher
  184. LightheartedBum
  185. Lightosia
  186. Linq
  187. Lisbon Mapping
  188. littl-myth
  189. Liverpool19
  190. Lone (Thirteenth)
  191. Lonodel
  192. Lord-Zero
  193. Lucanic
  194. Lucimar
  195. Ludjinnado
  196. lunarum
  197. Lukingordex
  198. Lurxy
  199. M23-X0
  200. MacSmitty
  201. MagiusNecros
  202. MAGMIS
  203. MainJPW
  204. Malcolm Belmont
  205. MaskO'Gears
  206. Master Rapier
  207. MasterMushroom
  208. Mav485
  209. Mega Bidoof
  210. Mendelsin
  211. MetalMario128
  212. Metocles
  213. Minato Arisato
  214. Mikegamer0608
  215. Mishudo
  216. Monkokaio
  217. MonopolyRubix
  218. MorbidAltruism
  219. Moydow
  220. MrMacBeth
  221. MrToxicVoltage
  222. Mythzotick
  223. mynameisv
  224. MysticKnives
  225. N3ON
  226. Nauzgo
  227. Neo Zero
  228. NessAtc.
  229. Niala
  230. Nimbostratus
  231. Ninjakid41592
  232. Nintendokusou
  233. NitrusVirus
  234. NonSpecificGuy
  235. NoOtherPersona
  236. NoR4U
  237. Octillus
  238. Oddyesy
  239. Oniric Spriter
  240. Oracle_Summon
  241. Organization XIII
  242. otarolgam
  243. Oz37
  244. Pacack
  245. Papagenos
  246. ParanoidDrone
  247. Pcubed007
  248. Pennate
  249. Phaazoid
  250. Pizza Robo
  251. P.Kat
  252. Plain Yogurt
  253. Playcube
  254. PlayfulMushroom
  255. POKEMANSPIKA
  256. Powerman293
  257. PSIguy89
  258. PrinceGal3n
  259. PWN3
  260. R.O.B.
  261. Radical Beam
  262. Radori
  263. Raetah
  264. Raziek
  265. Red Ryu
  266. RegiGygas117
  267. Retro gamer
  268. RhymeswithEmpty
  269. Roger Smith
  270. RosaPeach
  271. Royvolution Ream
  272. Ryan
  273. Ryuutakeshi
  274. Sabrewulf238
  275. Sagittarius
  276. sandfall
  277. SanicJan
  278. Scatmansworld25
  279. Scoliosis Jones
  280. Seb9k+
  281. Secret Sexytime
  282. Seleir
  283. Seoxys
  284. sheik93
  285. Shin F.
  286. Shinhed-echi
  287. Shog
  288. Sidboylol
  289. SirCamp
  290. skaaaa
  291. Skeleton o' Fun
  292. SkullKidKing
  293. Skyblade12
  294. Skyfox2000
  295. sman3975
  296. Smash_Handle69
  297. SmashBro99
  298. smashkirby
  299. SmashShadow
  300. smashtriforce77
  301. smileMasky
  302. SmilingMad
  303. SMX
  304. Solfiner
  305. someonetookjacob
  306. SonicLink125
  307. SonicSmasher
  308. SorrowOfAcheron
  309. SoulofKhaos
  310. Spatman
  311. Spazzy_D
  312. Speedwagon
  313. Spootondorf
  314. Sqid
  315. SSBFan
  316. Staarih
  317. StaffofSmashing
  318. Strider_Bond00J
  319. StrikeBlade
  320. SuperBrawler
  321. Superfiremario
  322. SuperNintendoKid
  323. Supersmash77
  324. Superyoshiom
  325. Swampasaur
  326. Sykin
  327. Takasmash
  328. TCT~Phantom
  329. TeenGirlSquad
  330. TehEpicRyuga
  331. ThatShadowLink
  332. The Curious Volnutt
  333. The One Who Wrote This
  334. Thekewlusername
  335. T-Hell
  336. TheRealHeroOfWinds
  337. TheSeanMan
  338. TheSpaceKing
  339. The Stoopid Unikorn
  340. TheTactician
  341. thethirdkoopa
  342. ThirdDay
  343. ThoughtfulWanderer
  344. ThunderOverload
  345. TimeSmash
  346. Tiyomako
  347. ToothiestAura
  348. True Blue Warrior
  349. Turmalinium
  350. UltimateWario
  351. Ultinarok
  352. Vann Accessible
  353. Vegito2727
  354. Venus of the Desert Bloom
  355. Vintage Creep
  356. Violenceman
  357. walph
  358. Warheart_666
  359. Wigglytuff ★
  360. Wintropy
  361. WhiteEaglePL
  362. Xelion
  363. Xenigma
  364. XeVioN
  365. Xiivi
  366. xLemmy_KoopaX
  367. XTremeGamer1234
  368. XxLtxX
  369. YellowLord
  370. YoshiandToad
  371. Young Horsetail
  372. Your Hero
  373. YwhaletailY
  374. Zabadoo
  375. zagman505
  376. zaiman12345
  377. Zandro
  378. ZanZero
  379. ZarroTsu
  380. ZeldaMaster
  381. ZestyÑ
  382. Zulyar
  383. Zuppo
Please Add Me; Since I ALSO Want to see Isaac in SSBU; Especially since He'd be like Ness Meets ANY Sword Fighter in the game; and with Psynergy Hands, and Vine Attacks and Ground/Rock Attacks

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Please Add Me; Since I ALSO Want to see Isaac in SSBU; Especially since He'd be like Ness Meets ANY Sword Fighter in the game; and with Psynergy Hands, and Vine Attacks and Ground/Rock Attacks
Done
  1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*
  6. Accursed
  7. Adeptmune
  8. Agk0001
  9. AgatioGanon
  10. Aguki90
  11. airConditioner
  12. aldelaro5
  13. alguidrag
  14. Altais
  15. Amberloo
  16. AncientArk
  17. andimidna
  18. Androobie
  19. Apollyon
  20. Aqua Rock X
  21. AquaDork1
  22. AquaSol
  23. Arcadenik
  24. Arsenal234,
  25. Arteen
  26. Asian_Charizard
  27. Astraltar
  28. Aureola
  29. Aurora Jenny
  30. AustarusIV
  31. AwesomeCauliflower68
  32. Awesomedude444
  33. Backgammon
  34. Balgorxz
  35. BandannaWaddleDee
  36. Bane84
  37. bassem6
  38. Bassoonist
  39. Billybae10k
  40. Bingoshi
  41. Bkupa666
  42. Blackwolf666
  43. Blaziken
  44. BluePikmin11
  45. BoltDragon
  46. BoN~
  47. Bowser-Daimao
  48. BravadoMan_13
  49. BridgesWithTurtles
  50. Browny
  51. Buddy002
  52. Bunny8093
  53. BUnit
  54. Burruni
  55. Calane
  56. CactusBlah
  57. candyissweet
  58. Capita
  59. Cap'nChreest
  60. Captain Toad
  61. CardStealer1
  62. Chapter Serf
  63. CheckmateChuck
  64. CheeseBroJoe
  65. Cheezey Bites
  66. Chromfirmed
  67. ChronoPenguin
  68. ClinkStryphart
  69. CliffJumper
  70. cocy965
  71. Cos.
  72. Coaltergeist
  73. Crap-Zapper
  74. CrossDispatcher
  75. cybersai
  76. Dalek_Kolt
  77. Darkdarkness
  78. DatoSm
  79. Dendros
  80. Desert Croc
  81. Destroyer713
  82. Dezeray112
  83. Dhragen
  84. Diddy Kong
  85. Dimensionsword64
  86. DivinexRose
  87. DJ3DS
  88. DJBor
  89. D-Man9293
  90. DogManStar
  91. DoodleDuck97
  92. Doncalot
  93. DraginHikari
  94. Drakonis
  95. Dromader
  96. DukeNapoleon
  97. DustyPumpkin
  98. e105beta
  99. Eagle
  100. EclipseSmash
  101. EddyBearr
  102. ED Cantu
  103. Edlocke
  104. egaddmario
  105. ElPanandero
  106. El Syd
  107. EndlessChrom
  108. EndlessRain
  109. EnhaloTricks
  110. ETFruitNinja
  111. ethanrodgers223
  112. Ezequileste
  113. Falgor
  114. Falkoopa
  115. False Sense
  116. FamiconDisk
  117. Felix_the_Slayer
  118. fenyx4
  119. ferioku
  120. Fire Rider
  121. Fire_Voyager
  122. FirstBlade
  123. Flareon
  124. Flintike
  125. fogbadge.
  126. foolssigma
  127. FreddyOnDrugs
  128. Friesnchip
  129. GalacticPetey
  130. Geno Boost
  131. Ghirahilda
  132. GladiusVortex
  133. GM_3826
  134. Golden Icarus
  135. GoodGrief741
  136. Gotann
  137. GraveEclipse567
  138. heylodom
  139. hwrdjacob
  140. iam8bit
  141. Icana
  142. iDazedX_x
  143. Inawordyes
  144. IntelliHeath1
  145. Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
  146. isaac3000
  147. Isaac: Venus Adept
  148. IvanQuote
  149. JaidynReiman
  150. Jak_spoon
  151. Jamurai
  152. JDogindy
  153. JohnnySparkxs
  154. Just a random scrub
  155. jweb22
  156. KCCHIEFS27
  157. KeniththeGatherer
  158. KeybladeSmasher
  159. Kikaru
  160. Kind Dedede
  161. KingCloud
  162. KingShadow
  163. KiraYoshikage
  164. KirbyDragon
  165. Kirbyfan391
  166. Kisae
  167. KMDP
  168. KoalaNut
  169. Kokirikory
  170. Koori
  171. Kremling Man
  172. Kumatora
  173. Kycse
  174. Lady Palutena
  175. Lampy
  176. LaniusShrike
  177. lanky_gunner
  178. LasermasterA
  179. Leafeon523
  180. LeeYawshee
  181. legendofrob1
  182. LemmyKoopa
  183. lightdasher
  184. LightheartedBum
  185. Lightosia
  186. Linq
  187. Lisbon Mapping
  188. littl-myth
  189. Liverpool19
  190. Lone (Thirteenth)
  191. Lonodel
  192. Lord-Zero
  193. Lucanic
  194. Lucimar
  195. Ludjinnado
  196. lunarum
  197. Lukingordex
  198. Lurxy
  199. M23-X0
  200. MacSmitty
  201. MagiusNecros
  202. MAGMIS
  203. MainJPW
  204. Malcolm Belmont
  205. MaskO'Gears
  206. Master Rapier
  207. MasterMushroom
  208. Mav485
  209. Mega Bidoof
  210. Mendelsin
  211. MetalMario128
  212. Metocles
  213. Miifighters4Smash5
  214. Minato Arisato
  215. Mikegamer0608
  216. Mishudo
  217. Monkokaio
  218. MonopolyRubix
  219. MorbidAltruism
  220. Moydow
  221. MrMacBeth
  222. MrToxicVoltage
  223. Mythzotick
  224. mynameisv
  225. MysticKnives
  226. N3ON
  227. Nauzgo
  228. Neo Zero
  229. NessAtc.
  230. Niala
  231. Nimbostratus
  232. Ninjakid41592
  233. Nintendokusou
  234. NitrusVirus
  235. NonSpecificGuy
  236. NoOtherPersona
  237. NoR4U
  238. Octillus
  239. Oddyesy
  240. Oniric Spriter
  241. Oracle_Summon
  242. Organization XIII
  243. otarolgam
  244. Oz37
  245. Pacack
  246. Papagenos
  247. ParanoidDrone
  248. Pcubed007
  249. Pennate
  250. Phaazoid
  251. Pizza Robo
  252. P.Kat
  253. Plain Yogurt
  254. Playcube
  255. PlayfulMushroom
  256. POKEMANSPIKA
  257. Powerman293
  258. PSIguy89
  259. PrinceGal3n
  260. PWN3
  261. R.O.B.
  262. Radical Beam
  263. Radori
  264. Raetah
  265. Raziek
  266. Red Ryu
  267. RegiGygas117
  268. Retro gamer
  269. RhymeswithEmpty
  270. Roger Smith
  271. RosaPeach
  272. Royvolution Ream
  273. Ryan
  274. Ryuutakeshi
  275. Sabrewulf238
  276. Sagittarius
  277. sandfall
  278. SanicJan
  279. Scatmansworld25
  280. Scoliosis Jones
  281. Seb9k+
  282. Secret Sexytime
  283. Seleir
  284. Seoxys
  285. sheik93
  286. Shin F.
  287. Shinhed-echi
  288. Shog
  289. Sidboylol
  290. SirCamp
  291. skaaaa
  292. Skeleton o' Fun
  293. SkullKidKing
  294. Skyblade12
  295. Skyfox2000
  296. sman3975
  297. Smash_Handle69
  298. SmashBro99
  299. smashkirby
  300. SmashShadow
  301. smashtriforce77
  302. smileMasky
  303. SmilingMad
  304. SMX
  305. Solfiner
  306. someonetookjacob
  307. SonicLink125
  308. SonicSmasher
  309. SorrowOfAcheron
  310. SoulofKhaos
  311. Spatman
  312. Spazzy_D
  313. Speedwagon
  314. Spootondorf
  315. Sqid
  316. SSBFan
  317. Staarih
  318. StaffofSmashing
  319. Strider_Bond00J
  320. StrikeBlade
  321. SuperBrawler
  322. Superfiremario
  323. SuperNintendoKid
  324. Supersmash77
  325. Superyoshiom
  326. Swampasaur
  327. Sykin
  328. Takasmash
  329. TCT~Phantom
  330. TeenGirlSquad
  331. TehEpicRyuga
  332. ThatShadowLink
  333. The Curious Volnutt
  334. The One Who Wrote This
  335. Thekewlusername
  336. T-Hell
  337. TheRealHeroOfWinds
  338. TheSeanMan
  339. TheSpaceKing
  340. The Stoopid Unikorn
  341. TheTactician
  342. thethirdkoopa
  343. ThirdDay
  344. ThoughtfulWanderer
  345. ThunderOverload
  346. TimeSmash
  347. Tiyomako
  348. ToothiestAura
  349. True Blue Warrior
  350. Turmalinium
  351. UltimateWario
  352. Ultinarok
  353. Vann Accessible
  354. Vegito2727
  355. Venus of the Desert Bloom
  356. Vintage Creep
  357. Violenceman
  358. walph
  359. Warheart_666
  360. Wigglytuff ★
  361. Wintropy
  362. WhiteEaglePL
  363. Xelion
  364. Xenigma
  365. XeVioN
  366. Xiivi
  367. xLemmy_KoopaX
  368. XTremeGamer1234
  369. XxLtxX
  370. YellowLord
  371. YoshiandToad
  372. Young Horsetail
  373. Your Hero
  374. YwhaletailY
  375. Zabadoo
  376. zagman505
  377. zaiman12345
  378. Zandro
  379. ZanZero
  380. ZarroTsu
  381. ZeldaMaster
  382. ZestyÑ
  383. Zulyar
  384. Zuppo

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Smash site updated with fake smash orb so looks like the leak being talked about is fake.

Isaac is still in the clear for now

KMDP

Smash Legend
Smash site updated with fake smash orb so looks like the leak being talked about is fake.

Isaac is still in the clear for now
Isaac lives to get his chance another day.
What leak was it?
One from... uh... GameFAQs, I think?

Said that Mr Game & Watch would be the next Character Update on the blog, and that K. Rool and Isaac (among others) would be Assists.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Isaac lives to get his chance another day.

One from... uh... GameFAQs, I think?

Said that Mr Game & Watch would be the next Character Update on the blog, and that K. Rool and Isaac (among others) would be Assists.
Oh okay I mean that would be a bone headed move if they made that choice

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Too many leaks to get invested in ones without any credibility.

Once more content gets confirmed and we can narrow down the pool, that's when things will get interesting.

Top Bottom