• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm still placing my bet on the last week of October that also has the first 2 days of November just before the Japan events. I just feel like a direct right at the start of the month before the final events start is the best moment. Just hoping tho.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wasn't part of the Isaac hype train during ballot times back then… how good do you all think we did?
Isaac is currently number one in terms of the exit poll (looking at characters that haven't been confirmed/disconfirmed), which covered around 45 thousand votes. I know it's not perfect but it's the best example we have of how things might have gone down, so I'm going to keep referencing it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

I strongly believe we did more than enough to be noticed by Sakurai. The real question at this point is whether that means we get playable Isaac.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Isaac is currently number one in terms of the exit poll (looking at characters that haven't been confirmed/disconfirmed), which covered around 45 thousand votes. I know it's not perfect but it's the best example we have of how things might have gone down, so I'm going to keep referencing it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

I strongly believe we did more than enough to be noticed by Sakurai. The real question at this point is whether that means we get playable Isaac.
Still a good reference, good to know! Yeah I think it's unavoidable to notice something like that.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Still a good reference, good to know! Yeah I think it's unavoidable to notice something like that.
is it enough to get playable tho?

oh and I guess the rathalos picture isn't good evidence anymore. gamefaqs says so. no evidence no isaac. :<

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Only Sakurai and Nintendo can answer that question.

I think it's enough not to be ignored at least. Whatever way I look at it, it would be strange if Isaac didn't appear.

That's why I'm eager to get the next batch of assist trophies out of the way. We're at 40 assist trophies right now and he said we were getting over 50 of them.....so the next info dump about assist trophies will probably be the last one. It wouldn't surprise me if we knew about every assist trophy after the upcoming Smash direct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think that the same source that "leaked" the date of the delayed direct, is now saying that the next dierct will be between 5-12 november, just after the Nintendo Live.

https://gamingintel.com/nintendo/switch/leak-nintendo-direct-smash-bros-ultimate-direct-nov-5-12/

I have seen around the web that the Live will -probably- have a "release version" of smash...

what do you think?
Wasn't there another leaker who mentioned the same date but they said it wouldn't be a Smash direct?

(I think it might have been Leakypandy)

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Ironically enough didn't a relatively decent portion of folks support Isaac during the ballot days at gamefaqs lol?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

oh and I guess the rathalos picture isn't good evidence anymore. gamefaqs says so. no evidence no isaac. :<
First, who cares what the people on Gamefaqs are saying? They are still trying to claim it's a reference to Monster Hunter and that's dumb. Second, the picture never really mattered anyway and shouldn't have been taken as evidence; however, he is the most popular character not yet revealed so we have a stronger shot than anyone else still hoping for their character.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say the picture never really mattered ( in the case that it were a Golden Sun reference or to hype Isaac as a DLC candidate if Isaac does not make it in base), but I do agree that Gamefaqs has no bearing on the finalized roster, which was made back in 2015. At most they can be annoying, but they don't have the final say.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

That's easy to say when you haven't played the game and don't understand the references lol, they're just in denial as expected

I don't think Isaac is guaranteed because of the tweet but I do think 100% that it's a gs reference

Last edited:

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
So rumors of a direct begin coming from semi legit sources. 2 directs actually, one main one one smash one for november. That make's me think we'd see the general direct first and the smash direct after. General direct probably on the 7th would have Incinroar, something the casual fans watching the general direct would understand and wouldn't call for Sakurai to explain. Ending with a tease for the smash direct for the 14th. Smash direct would have Isaac to open with, who would get a breakdown explaining his intricacies. It would end on Geno. Probably a big blow out on single player. Probably the announcement of your first DLC characters. (My bet being on Rex and Pyra) I also wouldn't be shocked if it was hosted by the announcer instead of sakurai like the 50 fact thing for smash 4. Maybe those are some far flung hopes but those are my general expectations.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I can't say anybody has gotten me extremely pumped yet. I'm pretty much neutral to moderately positive on all of them (Richter and Isabelle being my favs), and yet, people who do have what they want act like it's "spoiled" and "ungrateful" to ask for any more. Seriously, the way they demonize the few silent opinions in the waves of hype is just ludicrous.

Sakurai knows there are many diverse groups of fans out there that want to have their wishes granted and don't feel the same hype for Ridley/K. Rool/Simon. That diversity is what Smash as a series is built on and it's not going to end at just two or three big requests. I'm confident that by the time DLC ends, Isaac/Banjo/Geno/Skull Kid/Bandana Dee/Lloyd/etc. fans will have their reason to be happy and satisfied. Othewise, they wouldn't have advertised this game as being centered around the fans.
Yeah, for me Inklings look interesting in playstyle, not so much interested in them as characters.
Ridley was a good addition with basic looking combat.
Simon and Richter while not iconic to me personally have a very unique moveset among the other fighters. And I do like Castlevania as a whole.
K. Rool is the biggest impact on me as far as uniques go. A character I know and loved back in the day, with some wacky looking moves for a bulkier fighter. Looks fun to play.
Isabelle I can understand why she was included, but she is the most meh of all newcomers thus far to me.

As for echoes:
Daisy is likable but still nothing to get hyped for.
Chrom is ok, just like that he is a Roy echo.
Dark Samus is an echo for my main, and I love her unique movements while traversing the field. My favorite reveal thus far...only issue is she is an echo but I can let it slide for being awesome.

So my hype train is still in the station, a couple characters got the engine started but nobody has it barrelling down the tracks yet.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I got to put this out. Those who believe we are only getting one Direct are crazy. I'm referring to what Sakurai said in the August Direct, "We plan to show every design of each fighter before launch day." So, unless Sakurai is crazy to shove everything in one Direct, how is he going to cover Online, Spirits, Vault, Stages, Characters (including every design of all), Ganes & More, etc. in one Direct? It makes more sense to me to have two Directs to explain all of that stuff.

But then again, Sakurai has surprised us and debunks "fan rules" several times. I guess we'll see.
Only one Smash focused? Cause that's exactly what is going to happen. We're not getting two Nintendo Directs on the same game with such a little amount of time left (47 days as of now, right? Certainly less by the time the actual Direct airs).

Yes, he plans to show every character off before release... And there is not only a possible, but likely reality in which he only has maybe one/two more legitimate character trailers left for newcomers. And that's perfectly reasonable to bookend the Direct with two such trailers. Add in another Echo reveal and that'll be it for characters. He's already revealed basically everything under the Smash tab, and we know all of the stages bar any additional ones (and we will not be receiving more than five, you can be certain of that given that really felt like the final layout of the select screen). We know Classic is tailored to each fighter, so that's out of the way and at best another mention.

He'll talk about online for probably around ten minutes I imagine at most. There isn't much to cover other than how they've set it up this time around/what modes they're including (Do we have a For Glory/For Fun type set up again or what). Games & More can probably be as simple as ten minutes too. Again, we know Classic, and I've a feeling that will be one of the bigger elements of this one since each path is unique. So we'll probably get a confirmation of the usual suspects. Home Run Contest, Multiman Smash, Break the Targets, and a new mode or two here. That's pretty easy to run through with an appropriate amount of detail quickly. Vault doesn't really need much more either, he'll likely mention trophies and how they're obtained this time around in whatever minigame, but he's historically burned through these features pretty quickly. So maybe five minutes? Spirits is probably the new marquee, so maybe 15 minutes to that and a proper rollout/reveal if it's that substanial. Another assist trophy highlight reveal and miscellaneous stuff will make around another 5 or so minutes.

We've had just over 40 minute Smash Directs before, and if you tally everything up (Which could easily be estimating too much time if the presentation or any part of it is the insane shotgun style of 50 Fact Extravaganza), you'd probably be looking at around 45 minutes with my estimations. With as much information as he has revealed about the game (And he has revealed basically everything short of the modes and final new stuff at this point honestly), there isn't actually so much to cover. I know people are hopeful, but I think it's time to face reality when it comes to the Direct situation. At best you can hope for a Smash reveal in a different Direct, but there's pretty much exactly enough content to show off in one final, admittedly long, Smash Direct. I know that scares people because it means there's a very low number of newcomers left, but I really believe that's where we're at.

I don't consider myself to be overly pessimistic, and I'm certainly not here to just bring down the hype about Isaac. But I do want to be real, and I think it's important to be realistic about what's left. We have the precedents for how Nintendo shows off games, and all of them point to one final Smash Direct in roughly the next two weeks. As Isaac fans, that's our last real hope for his inclusion in the base game and that's what we should be hopeful for. There is a slim chance that we'll get either a general or a Pokemon Direct before the release that could offer a place for a reveal, but it's more unlikely the longer we go without an announcement of one. Sakurai clearly intends to reveal all of the characters pre-release to avoid the issues with leaks, so you can basically count the two weeks prior to release as out of the running. And maybe even before then to be completely honest, like when the game goes gold.

So let's just focus on hoping he's one of the last reveals as opposed to being extremely optimistic about the chances of somehow two Directs in the span of like a couple weeks. And if he's not, then the DLC support begins. That's where our energy and support is best spent I believe at this point. He's certainly got a shot for one of the last spots, but with so few left the competition is indeed going to be fierce until the Direct.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If we are getting a general Nintendo direct in early November and a Smash direct later in November it would actually be pretty good for us if Incineroar showed up in the general direct.

Since at that point the square enix rep (Geno presumably) would be the only remaining unique newcomer we know about.....and as much as Sakurai seems to be slowing down reveals I think he'd have at least two unique newcomers lined up for the final Smash direct.

Not to mention if Incineroar came along with a new stage I think it would give further validity to there being 108 stages. (yeah it's not a confirmation but just knowing there was another stage we didn't know about would say a lot I think)

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
That's easy to say when you haven't played the game and don't understand the references lol, they're just in denial as expected

I don't think Isaac is guaranteed because of the tweet but I do think 100% that it's a gs reference
In the case of this being a 100% GS reference, I'd say the tweet was made, cause Isaac is in the game. Having a screenshot that has similar coincidences to a game from eight years ago (even older going by the first two entries) and then think how Isaac didn't even get so much as a trophy in 4. Why bother referencing/paying homage to the game of character that's been out of the limelight for almost a decade and doesn't even exist in the current game that it's promoting?

And in case it being on the website wouldn't have been noticed enough, Sakurai screenshots it and plasters it right on his twitter lol. Fanboys would be all over that thinking it was a hint for any character in general, after the whole E3 room with the rope/ladder and colored chairs thing gaining traction during the time of the tweet post.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
First, who cares what the people on Gamefaqs are saying? They are still trying to claim it's a reference to Monster Hunter and that's dumb.
lol... ok

I think its unjustified to see people giving up on the pic for... what good reason? Cause Sakurai hasn't gone against what he said about announcments slowing down after Isabelle? Or cause everyone (including me) thought Isaac would be announced when Isa was?

I would like to politely invite people who think the Rath pic may not be an Isaac hint to speculate as to what else it could be. Not a rhetorical statement either, try to imagine why a pic of that "peculiar nature" would be posted the day of the August direct, specifically after it was over.

People say "oh hes gunna be de-confirmed by being announced as an AT." Why the huge tease then? In the past hes gone as far as to post pictures saying "Look it's Skull Kid, but hes an AT not a char, I REPEAT, (he literally wrote I repeat in his post) HE IS NOT A CHARACTER"

You'd think he'd have been merciful and posted something similiar to the Skull Kid tweet by now so our hopes could be crushed before they get too high. That is an assuming statement yes but do we all think hes not aware by now of how people interpreted it? The highest favorited comment under his tweet is a Golden Sun one suggesting he'll be in Ultimate (big surprise).

Most of the comments under that pic are GS related and hes said before in an interview that he actually does look at feedback on his twitter. Even said what everyone says about getting too caught up in it sometimes.

Again, all speculation but c'mon man. Why poke Isaacs fan-base like this if you only plan on an AT?

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
lol... ok
I think its unjustified to see people giving up on the pic for... what good reason? Cause Sakurai hasn't gone against what he said about announcments slowing down after Isabelle? Or cause everyone (including me) thought Isaac would be announced when Isa was?
I would like to politely invite people who think the Rath pic may not be an Isaac hint to speculate as to what else it could be. Not a rhetorical statement either, try to imagine why a pic of that "peculiar nature" would be posted the day of the August direct, specifically after it was over.
People say "oh hes gunna be de-confirmed by being announced as an AT." Why the huge tease then? In the past hes gone as far as to post pictures saying "Look it's Skull Kid, but hes an AT not a char, I REPEAT, (he literally wrote I repeat in his post) HE IS NOT A CHARACTER"
You'd think he'd have been kind enough to post something similiar to the Skull Kid tweet so our hopes could be mercifully crushed before they get too high. That is an assuming statement yes but do we all think hes not aware by now of how people interpreted it? The highest favorited comment under his tweet is a Golden Sun one suggesting he'll be in Ultimate (big surprise). Most of the comments under that pic are GS related.And hes said before in an interview that he actually does look at feedback on his twitter. Even said what everyone says about getting too caught up in sometimes.

Again, all speculation but c'mon man. Why poke Isaacs fan-base like this if you only plan on an AT?
I'm confused why did you quote me?

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I like to think I’ve been a voice for keeping a balanced view of things in this thread in the last couple of months. Sometimes that means pulling us back towards optimism when the thread is in one of its “all is lost” phases, but I also have to see when we need to keep our expectations in check.

We have to prepare ourselves somewhat for the possibility that Isaac isn’t in the base game. I’m not saying to stop hoping for it (I still think the evidence is in his favor, Corocoro flip flopping be darned). I’m only cautioning against having a massively negative reaction if we get the final Direct and our boy isn’t in it. There are so many support threads with legitimate reasons to be optimistic (us, Waddle Dee, Geno, Shadow, Dixie, Skull Kid, Incineroar, Elma, Lloyd, Banjo) and there’s no chance all of them can be in the base game, even if all are plausible for DLC. Also remember that the DLC season for Smash Ultimate will probably last a lot longer than Sm4sh’s did, so we need to be ready to keep supporting Isaac and Golden Sun for a long haul of possibly the next 1-2 years. Again, I’m still optimistic that he’s in the base game, but if he isn’t, having a meltdown in this thread won’t do our cause any favors. We can commiserate together and obviously feel sad and disappointed but please don’t lash out at Sakurai or Nintendo and resist the urge to engage with the inevitable flood of haters saying “I told you so.”

Along that same vein, we have to be gracious winners if Isaac does get in. I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’ll go make threads in GameFAQs to rub it in their face and I admit it would be hilarious but maybe it’s not the greatest look. None of us here would go to the other support threads and brag about it so I think that goes without saying, since we know better than basically any remaining longtime fanbase what it’s like to be denied game after game. I think if Isaac was in his, his own reaction would be pretty measured and he would simply gear up for battle and celebrate. That’s what we should look to.

With that said, I’m fairly confident going into this final direct, whenever it is. Surely it must be in the next 1-3 weeks.

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I am ready for another bout of disappointment! thanks isabelle. (I do not hate puppy I just hate that she killed my hype. why sakurai? ;_; )

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So rumors of a direct begin coming from semi legit sources. 2 directs actually, one main one one smash one for november. That make's me think we'd see the general direct first and the smash direct after. General direct probably on the 7th would have Incinroar, something the casual fans watching the general direct would understand and wouldn't call for Sakurai to explain. Ending with a tease for the smash direct for the 14th. Smash direct would have Isaac to open with, who would get a breakdown explaining his intricacies. It would end on Geno. Probably a big blow out on single player. Probably the announcement of your first DLC characters. (My bet being on Rex and Pyra) I also wouldn't be shocked if it was hosted by the announcer instead of sakurai like the 50 fact thing for smash 4. Maybe those are some far flung hopes but those are my general expectations.
I dunno, why would they leave everyone hanging for a whole month and then have two Directs in one month? Has there ever been two Directs in the same month?

The only reason I can think of is that Sakurai’s ‘reveals will slow down’ comment was deliberately supposed to mislead us into thinking there were few newcomers left before a huge blowout at the end. While Sakurai-esque, this veers too much into conspiracy theory territory for me.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I like to think I’ve been a voice for keeping a balanced view of things in this thread in the last couple of months. Sometimes that means pulling us back towards optimism when the thread is in one of its “all is lost” phases, but I also have to see when we need to keep our expectations in check.

We have to prepare ourselves somewhat for the possibility that Isaac isn’t in the base game. I’m not saying to stop hoping for it (I still think the evidence is in his favor, Corocoro flip flopping be darned). I’m only cautioning against having a massively negative reaction if we get the final Direct and our boy isn’t in it. There are so many support threads with legitimate reasons to be optimistic (us, Waddle Dee, Geno, Shadow, Dixie, Skull Kid, Incineroar, Elma, Lloyd, Banjo) and there’s no chance all of them can be in the base game, even if all are plausible for DLC. Also remember that the DLC season for Smash Ultimate will probably last a lot longer than Sm4sh’s did, so we need to be ready to keep supporting Isaac and Golden Sun for a long haul of possibly the next 1-2 years. Again, I’m still optimistic that he’s in the base game, but if he isn’t, having a meltdown in this thread won’t do our cause any favors. We can commiserate together and obviously feel sad and disappointed but please don’t lash out at Sakurai or Nintendo and resist the urge to engage with the inevitable flood of haters saying “I told you so.”

Along that same vein, we have to be gracious winners if Isaac does get in. I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’ll go make threads in GameFAQs to rub it in their face and I admit it would be hilarious but maybe it’s not the greatest look. None of us here would go to the other support threads and brag about it so I think that goes without saying, since we know better than basically any remaining longtime fanbase what it’s like to be denied game after game. I think if Isaac was in his, his own reaction would be pretty measured and he would simply gear up for battle and celebrate. That’s what we should look to.

With that said, I’m fairly confident going into this final direct, whenever it is. Surely it must be in the next 1-3 weeks.
If he isnt in, Im gunna call my Mom and explain in great detail how sad it makes me.

When/if he does get in, rubbing it in the faces of people that call him Sword Boy #15 would definitely be satisfying. But yeah, probably isn't necessary given the level of emotional investment involved here.

I enjoy that idea of aspiring to react similiarly to Isaac aha.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
You know I've seen a few people claim they want to rub it in detractors faces when Isaac is announced. Personally, I'm like why? We have nothing to prove, once Isaac is in we won. Detractors can't keep characters out, look at Ridley he had tons of support but just as much opposition yet that never stopped Sakurai from mentioning how much fans wanted Ridley. People use the dumb no more swords thing and Sakurai never pays any attention to it just look at Chrom who again Sakurai mentioned was popular despite knowing more FE characters not getting in is something 90% wants. Basically, if a post starts with "X character shouldn't be in Smash because...." Sakurai won't pay attention to it. In fact, vocal hate is a good thing in Smash as it means more people are talking about that character which means more exposure which means increased odds of getting the character in. Rather than rubbing people's face in it we should be thanking them for helping us making Isaac the biggest character, without their toxins, we never would have grown so large.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace

If Isaac isn’t in the game I will be sad, for sure, but I’ll suck it up, be happy with what I got and move on. I’ll continue to support the Golden Boy through the DLC cycle too.

If he makes it in... I can’t promise I won’t laugh in the faces of everyone that had a negative reaction to the thought of having him in. “Generic anime sword boy” “Golden Sun isn’t important enough” gets on my nerves every time.

But I won’t be a sore winner in general. If Isaac makes it in I won’t go to the other support threads and brag about it. That’s awful.

Instead I’ll likely support characters I like the idea of but don’t know much about. I’ll probably back Shantae because, while I’ve never played her games, I feel like she’d fit right in in Smash. Plus we need more Waifus... blegh sorry, had a bit of Etika in my throat. But seriously Smash could use some more ladies, saying that in a non weird way. Ugh thanks to Etika I feel like I ACTUALLY have to clarify that now.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
If Isaac isn’t in the game I will be sad, for sure, but I’ll suck it up, be happy with what I got and move on. I’ll continue to support the Golden Boy through the DLC cycle too.

If he makes it in... I can’t promise I won’t laugh in the faces of everyone that had a negative reaction to the thought of having him in. “Generic anime sword boy” “Golden Sun isn’t important enough” gets on my nerves every time.

But I won’t be a sore winner in general. If Isaac makes it in I won’t go to the other support threads and brag about it. That’s awful.

Instead I’ll likely support characters I like the idea of but don’t know much about. I’ll probably back Shantae because, while I’ve never played her games, I feel like she’d fit right in in Smash. Plus we need more Waifus... blegh sorry, had a bit of Etika in my throat. But seriously Smash could use some more ladies, saying that in a non weird way. Ugh thanks to Etika I feel like I ACTUALLY have to clarify that now.
Heh! Imagine if Etika started pushing for Isaac to be in Smash since he is a Golden Sun fan. That would probably get more people to support Isaac via the Joy Con Boyz.

In fact, I wish more of the quiet GS fans would start speaking up a bit (i.e. Arlo). It would be great!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
people are calling us delusional again.
will he notice tho? and the roster was decided long ago.

I'm sorry dude but you get pessimistic way too easily over the smallest things, out of the remaining pool of potential characters right now Isaac easily ranks among the top of the most consistently popular. There is a small vocal minority of Gamefaqs users that despise Isaac for no good reason, a small number of them saying no means nothing don't worry about them. Isaac is a strong character request with or without that tweet, mostly what it did is prove how much people want him and if it is a reference just helps our chances even higher than the highs we have now. Just keep hoping for the golden boy and keep pushing for him even in the darkest of times.

D

Deleted member

Off-topic saw the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate poster couple days ago. Honestly still is cool to have all these characters here. Ridley deserves to be in and feels complete with him. Hope he's in every game going forward.

Back on-topic Seems like we're getting something soon.

Look forward to it.

MatthewVenusAdept

Smash Cadet
Heh! Imagine if Etika started pushing for Isaac to be in Smash since he is a Golden Sun fan. That would probably get more people to support Isaac via the Joy Con Boyz.

In fact, I wish more of the quiet GS fans would start speaking up a bit (i.e. Arlo). It would be great!
Isaac isn't a waifu, Etika wouldn't give a crap.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
So we start campaigning for Jenna then?... but I don’t see her as a waifu... honestly most of the women in Golden Sun I wouldn’t call “waifus”. I think the only one that could be seen as a typical waifu material character is Chalis (at least visually). Even Menardi and Karst aren’t sexualized. It’s actually quite surprising the lack of oversexualization in GS.

But then again the internet will sexualize literally anything so I guess all the GS ladies could technically be waifus...

Buuuuut that’s enough of that. Don’t need to think about that.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Its based on the fact that when the fake drawn roster leak with Isaac came out. Etika recognized Isaac right away and knew that the hair color and stuff was off but said that he'd be a cool character and great homage to the gba era of rpgs that he sites as the best.

Obviously he won't be making a big deal of Isaac on his channel or anything unless he's confirmed for Smash and then he'd probably do a Let's Play or something to cash in on the views from hype. I expect other channels like Gamexplain to also do the same in streaming Golden Sun Let's Play upon confirmation.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit that I'm incredibly hype about the Belmont bros, which I've taken as a consolation in case nobody else I support (Isaac, Banjo, Paper Mario) is in the base game. I always loved the Metroidvania style games from Symphony of the Night onwards, and seeing Simon and Richter get in has led me on a bit of a classic Castlevania kick. I'm almost done with Super Castlevania IV and I've been really enjoying the series soundtracks while at work. Honestly I'm surprised they were able to narrow it down as far as 34 tracks considering the sheer amount of amazing music in that series.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
Its based on the fact that when the fake drawn roster leak with Isaac came out. Etika recognized Isaac right away and knew that the hair color and stuff was off but said that he'd be a cool character and great homage to the gba era of rpgs that he sites as the best.

Obviously he won't be making a big deal of Isaac on his channel or anything unless he's confirmed for Smash and then he'd probably do a Let's Play or something to cash in on the views from hype. I expect other channels like Gamexplain to also do the same in streaming Golden Sun Let's Play upon confirmation.
Gotta get that band wagooooooon

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I hate to bring the thread down, but I think we should call it GGs for base. The biggest thing in our favor (and every other possible newcomer's favor) was the assumption we'd get an early October Direct. With that not panning out and people shifting to a Double Direct November, I think everyone's toast bar a miracle.

If it's indeed a General + Smash Direct, everyone is toast. General will most likely be a big name (presumably a Pokemon so presumably Incineroar), and the Smash will be focused on Spirits with a few left over reveals (presumably Ken).

Characterwise, the Smash Direct can go two ways, or what I'll call 103 and 108. 103 is MAYBE one character we haven't seen yet, 108 would be an insane a-la August blowout where everyone goes crazy. 108 is the least likely.

108 requires both Corocoro to *intentionally* mislead their readers regarding the stage total at this point and for Nintendo to know how to actually be competent with generating hype near release, which they have never proven themselves remotely good at. I would NOT expect lightning to strike twice and for a 3+ character reveal extravaganza to occur because of this.

Isaac will never be General Direct material for obvious reasons. The odds of him pulling a June Ridley are low for the same reasons: he isn't big enough to carry a Direct on his own in any reasonable way. The only characters that can come close aren't even majorly speculated on right now bar Steve, who is unlikely for different reasons but still fits the bill. For better or worse, all the largely speculated characters right now are virtual nobodies to most people. K. Rool definitely helps in this regard since he's a dinosaur in his own right, but for now I'm inclined to think hes the exception, not the rule.

I really want everyone's expectations for base to drop immediately, given how things are. I don't want Smash 4 to happen all over again, where the Isaac crowd went all-in even to the last minute and got crushed as a result. We need to be the first to shift towards DLC, become the forefront there, and *hope* someone hears us. If we keep going forward with most of our confidence in a basegame appearance, I'm worried we may fragment again. I'm not sure if we can recover from that nightmare a second time.

End rant and all that. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my delicious, delicious words while playing Isaac.

Top Bottom