• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Some of the people in that thread sound so bitter. It's hilarious.
I mean, I can understand Isaac not appealing to everyone. That’s perfectly fine, but to say something like overrated and over represented of a character like Isaac who’s from a niche/obscure, but fondly remembered game is... friggin sad and downright delusional.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
I’m convinced this bracket is just one big shonen anime tournament arc at this point. The story resembles one lol. Isaac’s the protagonists who wins every fight save for a round with big bad who lands him in loosers bracket till he has to climb his way out. Lloyd was the best friend who gave support and saw support from protagonist, but tragically had to face off near the finale. Geno was the popular and respectful rival who has a commanding and looming presence in the whole tournament. Phoenix Wright was the comic relief the crowds adored and believed in, but had to be stopped by our hero. Sora was the fierce rival (a lot of us thought for certain Isaac would loose there). Skull kid was the edgy boi with loud fans who kept knocking out fan favorites. Banjo Kazooie was the big bad, the guy with some of the loudest and proudest fans. The guy to beat who goes undefeated and wins every round convincingly, sending tons of fan favorites to looser round, till only being seriously challenged by the protagonist at the very end.

The only way it gets more shonen is if Isaac wins convincingly ending the reign of terror. Resulting in riots in the audience. Or banjo wins narrowly and his fans meet our heros fans with acknowledgement and praise for holding the line that long.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
So I have a question.

If Golden Sun were to receive any boss, what would it be and why?

- Saturos and Merardi (the main antagonists of GS1)

- Agaito and Karst (The main antagonists of GS2)

- Alex (The main antagonist overall.)
My gut says Saturos and Menardi with a Fusion Dragon final form.

But my heart says Alex. So I can finally beat his smug face into the dirt since the other games never let you fight him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m convinced this bracket is just one big shonen anime tournament arc at this point. The story resembles one lol. Isaac’s the protagonists who wins every fight save for a round with big bad who lands him in loosers bracket till he has to climb his way out. Lloyd was the best friend who gave support and saw support from protagonist, but tragically had to face off near the finale. Geno was the popular and respectful rival who has a commanding and looming presence in the whole tournament. Phoenix Wright was the comic relief the crowds adored and believed in, but had to be stopped by our hero. Sora was the fierce rival (a lot of us thought for certain Isaac would loose there). Skull kid was the edgy boi with loud fans who kept knocking out fan favorites. Banjo Kazooie was the big bad, the guy with some of the loudest and proudest fans. The guy to beat who goes undefeated and wins every round convincingly, sending tons of fan favorites to looser round, till only being seriously challenged by the protagonist at the very end.

The only way it gets more shonen is if Isaac wins convincingly ending the reign of terror. Resulting in riots in the audience. Or banjo wins narrowly and his fans meet our heros fans with acknowledgement and praise for holding the line that long.
Make this an anime, stat.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's funny when people say things like "Isaac fans are over-represented," because that's true in a lot of places; on Reddit, on Smashboards, even on GameFAQs, it doesn't matter. He almost always places really well in polls. It's funny because there's a better word they could be using. After all, when something seems to be over-represented just about everywhere you look, we tend to just call it 'popular'. :smash:
Over-represented, overrated… All terms comes from people in denial of something's or someone's popularity or they just hate that thing for the sake of haters gonna hate. They will always keep doing it and yet they will always be a self entitled minority

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

This is just all sorts of amazing. And as you wrote it in the last paragraph, will end up amazing, no matter the outcome.

Also Lloyd & Isaac being the BFFs definitely means there's gonna be fujoshis making pairing content of them. (Not that I'd complain... slightly)

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
Pfffff I can’t get enough of this ****.

“I know everyone wants to flex on normies because they played an "obscure indie gem" that they more than likely quit halfway through, but if you honestly believe that someone as bland and boring as Isaac deserves to be in over Banjo and Kazooie, you are just a contrarian who can't handle having popular opinions and needs to fanboy over **** you don't actually care about to feel unique.”

I can’t even.

“obscure indie gem”

DO THESE PLEBS NOT EVEN KNOW THE LEGACY CAMELOT HAS???

Also this comment is all sorts of denial.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

“I know everyone wants to flex on normies because they played an "obscure indie gem" that they more than likely quit halfway through, but if you honestly believe that someone as bland and boring as Isaac deserves to be in over Banjo and Kazooie, you are just a contrarian who can't handle having popular opinions and needs to fanboy over **** you don't actually care about to feel unique.”

I can’t even.

“obscure indie gem”

Lmao now a series made by a famous developer that sells millions of copies is obscure and indie.

It’s not like there aren’t legit reasons for not caring or disliking Golden Sun, but at least google what you’re going to hate before you hate it.

(I feel sorry if that poor guy ever comes to blows with, like, somebody supporting only recent characters and they call Banjo-Kazooie a forgotten relic or an ‘obscure indie gem’)

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581

I can’t even.

“obscure indie gem”

Don’t you know? If it’s not a cutesy 3D platformer, and Nintendo Nintendo published it, it doesn’t count. Or least that’s what the internet would have you believe. XD

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I don't feel like the next surprise drop will be Ken or Shadow.
Geno or Isaac is my bet.

Or maybe 50 Cent? Who knows, just remember don't get drunk on hype, the hangover of disappointment is a pain

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

Great, now I've got DBZ tournament arcs on my mind, and I really didn't want to be contemplating Goku and Smash in the same contextual region. (Wow, that sentence had a weird ending.)

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord

I can’t even.

“obscure indie gem”

Why call GS indie, a lot of indie developers wished they had that budget, even though its no where as big as a budget for a game like Red Dead Redemption. Its a bit insulting to indie developers tbh. Also its kind of sad how he implied that the only reason to vote for Isaac is to be a hipster. Why can't people just like something? It reminds me of a commenter on a cosplay forum who said people who cosplay lesser known characters are only showing off their knowledge. It says alot about them, because they would only enjoy something lesser known if they could use it to feel hipster or whatever. Mean while people like us just like Golden Sun.

Of course people like him are a vocal minority. Banjo fans honestly have pretty much the same stuff thrown at Isaac now, the relevancy stuff, minus the anime swordsman stuff.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'd say its good that people are this mad and salty let there hate fuel us and make us stronger it'll feel great when he does get in and they have to eat there words

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
If people want to be salty, let them be. Chances are they're people who don't care for Isaac and probably would never give any research into the character. Lost causes, if you will.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Let them be as mad as they want it won't do them any good. Support gets characters in hate doesn't keep them out.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
I'd say its good that people are this mad and salty let there hate fuel us and make us stronger it'll feel great when he does get in and they have to eat there words
oh like with riddle's got in and shokio was flipping out so hard he fell out of his chair and left the room he was so mad. lol best hater reaction ever.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If you think people calling Isaac overrated/obscure is annoying now, just wait for everyone to call him expected/obvious if he's revealed to be playable. Remember when most thought Ridley would never make it in due to the "too big" argument, only for his inclusion to be considered a given in retrospect?

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
oh like with riddle's got in and shokio was flipping out so hard he fell out of his chair and left the room he was so mad. lol best hater reaction ever.
Seriously, there is a difference between not wanting a character and making videos/articles talking about why that character should never be added. I mean there are some characters I do not want (like Sora) but, I just leave it at that. I am not going to put a lot of effort ****ing on a fan-base's hopes and dreams.
Shokio got what he deserved.
Edit: You know what I would actually put effort in? Supporting characters I do want (like Isaac).

Last edited:

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Not shocked at all Geno lost to Isaac in the poll; I'm a little salty, but only because I knew Geno was more obscure than Isaac and probably wouldn't win. But hey Isaac is my #2 and Banjo is my dream pick so really I'm quite happy my top 3 are all up there <3 Good luck Isaac fans!

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
Not shocked at all Geno lost to Isaac in the poll; I'm a little salty, but only because I knew Geno was more obscure than Isaac and probably wouldn't win. But hey Isaac is my #2 and Banjo is my dream pick so really I'm quite happy my top 3 are all up there <3 Good luck Isaac fans!
Europe really killed Geno. SMRPG wasn't released there until the Wii VC, so a character that thrives on Nostalgia didn't really take hold.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
i just looked up this guy lol, seems like the LowTierGod of the smash community

Without Revisionist History, Smash just wouldn't be Smash.
haha yes sadly

Europe really killed Geno. SMRPG wasn't released there until the Wii VC, so a character that thrives on Nostalgia didn't really take hold.
idk I feel like console and handhelding gaming have a weird relationship with europe, its less prevalant there then in the US or JP obviously

when i meet a european gamer online, its usually PC games, mostly WW2 or popular arena games like DOTA or Overwatch. I have a lower chance of meeting people into "character games" like smash, street fighter, sonic, pokemon, fire emblem, bayonetta, all of these series you find in smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I can’t even.

“obscure indie gem”

....What the hell is this quote?
---
Banjo-Kazooie was a reasonably popular Collectathon Platformer duology, and one of the pioneers of the 3D Platforming genre, as the generations have moved on, Banjo-Kazooie has become increasingly influential as it's fans (who are very dedicated) are now becoming content creators themselves.

Golden Sun was a reasonably popular RPG duology, and one of the first (read: one of the only) traditional turn-based RPGs on the GBA; considering it's genre and the time it came out*, it is impressive that it managed to get onto the back of the Game Boy Advance box twice (once for the regular GBA, and once for the SP).
*Like it or not, RPGs are just not that popular as a genre in the West, it takes something special to make a splash.

According to Wikipedia, the two had pretty comparable sales figures (especially in Japan).

Machete

Smash Ace
I mean, I can only speak from Spain here, but Super Mario RPG never came out here while Golden Sun was very popular, so Geno and Isaac were on completely different ends of the obscure spectrum for me. Am very glad Isaac beat Geno in that poll.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If you think people calling Isaac overrated/obscure is annoying now, just wait for everyone to call him expected/obvious if he's revealed to be playable. Remember when most thought Ridley would never make it in due to the "too big" argument, only for his inclusion to be considered a given in retrospect?
"Isaac fans think he got in from their dedicated fan support LOL. Haha, no. He was always obvious ever since Sakurai posted the Rathalos tweet. Everyone saw that as a Golden Sun reference from a mile away! Plus his game sold like a billion dollars and he's the most handsome anime swordsman who ever lived with one of the best designed outfits of the rpg era. This character has always been obnoxiously overrated LOL."

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
"Isaac fans think he got in from their dedicated fan support LOL. Haha, no. He was always obvious ever since Sakurai posted the Rathalos tweet. Everyone saw that as a Golden Sun reference from a mile away! Plus his game sold like a billion dollars and he's the most handsome anime swordsman who ever lived with one of the best designed outfits of the rpg era. This character has always been obnoxiously overrated LOL."
"Yeah. Minecraft Steve should've gotten in over Isaac."

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Yooo Isaac beat Geno and with a pretty decent lead as well. Hopefully we can beat Banjo!

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
The more popular something becomes the more people you will find that hate it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
According to Wikipedia, the two had pretty comparable sales figures (especially in Japan).
I'm not sure this is true.

And quite honestly if Banjo had stayed a Nintendo character he would've gotten in a long time ago, probably in Brawl. Isaac is a Nintendo character and is still fighting to get in. I think Banjo has the upper hand in terms of pedigree, but Isaac's never had to contend with a competitor scooping you up.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Isaac is indeed a handsome boy, this is coming from a straight person.
I can't wait to get an announcement on Smash direct soon (that's what I'm guessing).

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Also, Golden Sun is not an indie game.

It's a lower tier Nintendo game. But still a Nintendo game nonetheless.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Isaac has the power of all his fallen comrades: Cubivore, Doshin The Giant, Drill Dozer, Custom Robo, Joy Mecha Fight, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk, Odama, Trace Memory, and more.

And his mentor, Captain Falcon!

I cant tell if this is an insult or compliment lol

Jesus lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Meanwhile some characters will never get in due either Sakurai's own bias against them or just out of bad luck (
), despite their long-enduring support... imagine those fans having to watch the community get what they wanted, only to now treat them like they were "given" all along and even putting such characters down when talking about new big wants they have?

Must be fun.

I highly speak from the experience.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I really want Steve and even I can see how dumb this is.

-I haven't played Golden Sun, but I find it interesting, and I think it'd be cool if Isaac got in, especially for all of his fans, plus it may help his series get revived.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meanwhile some characters will never get in due either Sakurai's own bias against them or just out of bad luck, despite their long-enduring support... imagine those fans having to watch the community get what they wanted, only to now treat them like they were "given" all along and even putting such characters down when talking about new big wants they have?

Must be fun.

That’s the life of a Smash fan. You do all the heavy lifting, and when a character gets in everybody speaks about how much of a given it was. ‘Tis truly a thankless job. And yet we do not mind, for all the reward we need is our character in Smash.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Isaac has the power of all his fallen comrades: Cubivore, Doshin The Giant, Drill Dozer, Custom Robo, Joy Mecha Fight, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk, Odama, Trace Memory, and more.

Jesus lol
Capt. Falcon is Isaac's mentor, eh? It's the yellow scarf they both have isn't it?

Now I'm thinking C. Falcon is All Might and Isaac is Deku now. Thanks. Lol

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Meanwhile some characters will never get in due either Sakurai's own bias against them or just out of bad luck (
), despite their long-enduring support... imagine those fans having to watch the community get what they wanted, only to now treat them like they were "given" all along and even putting such characters down when talking about new big wants they have?

Must be fun.

I highly speak from the experience.
that's gamefaqs in a nutshell. especially the putting down part. so much isaac hate.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Jesus lol
Hah, just over the top exaggerations from people who will go from saying Isaac is an obscure pick that no one knows about to then claiming he was always popular and Sakurai's getting predictable.

Top Bottom