• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys there is a lot of discussion going around that old box theory and how that could in fact prelude to more characters being revealed even after the expected two that some are expecting. I am starting to get the feeling that we are in fact getting another smash bros direct this month and then more newcomers will be revealed next month in November! This video explains that theory perfectly made by papa genos:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It's definitely not set in stone, though given that the "New!" website banner is also gone, it does look like they're prepping for the next reveal and it'll be coming soon enough. That's all I need to know to be hyped.
It's almost definitely set in stone. Big companies don't plan things out half way through, neither do they plan things 2-3 days in advance. Nintendo Directs for example are definitely planned weeks in advance, even if we only get 1-3 days notice.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Card theory is the son of Box theory imo… both worthless. That's just my personal opinion tho.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It's almost definitely set in stone. Big companies don't plan things out half way through, neither do they plan things 2-3 days in advance. Nintendo Directs for example are definitely planned weeks in advance, even if we only get 1-3 days notice.
No no, that's not what I meant. I meant that we can't yet confidently predict the date itself, since we were talking about the whole "10 days" pattern. That pattern holding up to mean a direct on the 10th or sooner is what it isn't set in stone.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys there is a lot of discussion going around that old box theory and how that could in fact prelude to more characters being revealed even after the expected two that some are expecting. I am starting to get the feeling that we are in fact getting another smash bros direct this month and then more newcomers will be revealed next month in November! This video explains that theory perfectly made by papa genos:
It's just more stuff to lump onto the case of Vergeben being wrong because not all of this can be true. The spots on boxes or cards and predicting upwards of 4 characters. Then trying to bail out and use DLC as some kind of pressure relief valve.

I still am putting a big dose of doubt on Incineroar as a character that is going to happen. Everyone is primed to believe that we get another Pokemon based on the history with Smash, but everyone that puts the character on their list does it so begrudgingly for a reason. It's a really weird choice for as many reasons, if not more, than reasons why it could happen. It's a safe choice while also having a strange distinction this late into the smash cycle.

In past smash games, we typically have cuts that occur with Pokemon. In the midst of the hotbed of popularity between Smash 64 and Melee we get two in both of the games. Really not weird at all when those games reached a fever pitch. In Brawl you have two cuts and almost a third which was countered with Lucario and Pokemon Trainer in return. Sm4sh cut PT down to Charizard and put in Greninja and Mewtwo DLC in return. Well here we are in Smash Ultimate and there are no cuts whatsoever and nothing to compensate for. If Gen 7 were strong a one, then yeah, that could guarantee that the super popular Pokemon is going to be in for sure, but it's arguably one of the weakest we've had overall. On top of this, Incineroar is not turning any heads. Playing devil's advocate, if you had to choose a Pokemon from any generation like the 7th to speculate, which ones are there going to be in that short list? You put in achievable Legendaries, the starters, and one or two Pokemon that distinguish themselves above the others or are used specifically in promotional material.

In the 7th generation, that really cuts through the fat. Nearly all of the legendaries are simply not working in a Smash game from that Gen and Tapu Koko and Buzzwole are the only ones even regarded from that group. Then you have Lycanroc and Mimikyu from the field plus your three starters. And you can take away Primarina because it comes just about even with popularity with the rest but would probably also be too strange or unachievable in a Smash game. So there you go, a whopping 6 Pokemon to narrow down because a Pokemon has to happen for some reason. That's not an impressive jump off point to narrow stuff down with. Additionally, none of those 6 Pokemon are even an exciting inclusion for Smash. I've seen the arguments for all of them and I'm not exactly colored impressed.

If Veggiebun gets a bullseye with this, just wow. I still would find it incredible to believe that Sakurai let the cat out of the bag that easily again that an online personality prances around for months getting stuff right about his unreleased game. Needless to say, I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
With all this box theory card theory music theory blog theory music theory part two

I propose we coin Cent Theory.

(Not gonna tell you what it’s about, you’re gonna have to figure that out for yourselves)

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
It's just more stuff to lump onto the case of Vergeben being wrong because not all of this can be true. The spots on boxes or cards and predicting upwards of 4 characters. Then trying to bail out and use DLC as some kind of pressure relief valve.

I still am putting a big dose of doubt on Incineroar as a character that is going to happen. Everyone is primed to believe that we get another Pokemon based on the history with Smash, but everyone that puts the character on their list does it so begrudgingly for a reason. It's a really weird choice for as many reasons, if not more, than reasons why it could happen. It's a safe choice while also having a strange distinction this late into the smash cycle.

In past smash games, we typically have cuts that occur with Pokemon. In the midst of the hotbed of popularity between Smash 64 and Melee we get two in both of the games. Really not weird at all when those games reached a fever pitch. In Brawl you have two cuts and almost a third which was countered with Lucario and Pokemon Trainer in return. Sm4sh cut PT down to Charizard and put in Greninja and Mewtwo DLC in return. Well here we are in Smash Ultimate and there are no cuts whatsoever and nothing to compensate for. If Gen 7 were strong a one, then yeah, that could guarantee that the super popular Pokemon is going to be in for sure, but it's arguably one of the weakest we've had overall. On top of this, Incineroar is not turning any heads. Playing devil's advocate, if you had to choose a Pokemon from any generation like the 7th to speculate, which ones are there going to be in that short list? You put in achievable Legendaries, the starters, and one or two Pokemon that distinguish themselves above the others or are used specifically in promotional material.

In the 7th generation, that really cuts through the fat. Nearly all of the legendaries are simply not working in a Smash game from that Gen and Tapu Koko and Buzzwole are the only ones even regarded from that group. Then you have Lycanroc and Mimikyu from the field plus your three starters. And you can take away Primarina because it comes just about even with popularity with the rest but would probably also be too strange or unachievable in a Smash game. So there you go, a whopping 6 Pokemon to narrow down because a Pokemon has to happen for some reason.

If Veggiebun gets a bullseye with this, just wow. I still would find it incredible to believe that Sakurai let the cat out of the bag that easily again that an online personality prances around for months getting stuff right about his unreleased game. Needless to say, I'll believe it when I see it.
I made the point in the Elma thread recently that maybe we've "misinterpreted" the Pokemon "trend." Maybe the trend isn't adding in a new Pokemon rep- maybe it's including two more that weren't in the last Smash. That trend matches way more closely, with Pichu and Mewtwo, Lucario and PT, Greninja and Mewtwo, and now PT and Pichu.

The point is, there's no set "trend" until you throw one in yourself. We're not guarenteed a Pokemon rep, and if you want to cite trends to prove it, then here's one that'll prove you wrong.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It honestly boggles my mind how anyone would think we only have two characters remaining. It would be generous to call that pessimism.

For one thing Vergeben has 3 characters (Ken, Incineroar, Square Enix rep) that he's leaked already, people are doing a bad job of worshiping every word he says if things like the card theory are able to take hold.

Hopefully this kind of notion will be put to rest if we really are getting an announcement in the next week or so.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I doubt people believe most of those theories, they just use them as a bludgeon to "prove" why X character they hate is definitely not getting in.

Yesterday I made the potential mistake of wading into the general discussion thread and talking about Isaac, and somebody started claiming that essentially Golden Sun fans were losers if they thought Isaac being in Smash would resurrect their franchise, and then spouting nonsense about how "Nintendo already has Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, why does it need Golden Sun?" (Don't even know where to start with that one) and "if a character needs to be included in Smash to save its series then it didn't deserve to be in Smash."

Anyways I've said many times in this thread that I don't think Isaac is a lock, and I doubt any of us do, but I'd rather stay positive and support the character I want. If Ridley and K. Rool can get in after all these years, then anything is possible.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I doubt people believe most of those theories, they just use them as a bludgeon to "prove" why X character they hate is definitely not getting in.

Yesterday I made the potential mistake of wading into the general discussion thread and talking about Isaac, and somebody started claiming that essentially Golden Sun fans were losers if they thought Isaac being in Smash would resurrect their franchise, and then spouting nonsense about how "Nintendo already has Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, why does it need Golden Sun?" (Don't even know where to start with that one) and "if a character needs to be included in Smash to save its series then it didn't deserve to be in Smash."

Anyways I've said many times in this thread that I don't think Isaac is a lock, and I doubt any of us do, but I'd rather stay positive and support the character I want. If Ridley and K. Rool can get in after all these years, then anything is possible.
The vibes in the General Speculation Thread are pretty totalitarian to be pretty honest. "BELIEVE THE BOX! ACCEPT THAT STEVE IS HAPPENING. LOL GET SCRUBBED YOUR DREAMS DIED." Of course that's a pretty gross generalisation, but the atmosphere there is exactly why I stopped going there. Not to mention it goes way too fast for me to keep up. also it's got over 6million views for that thread alone what the heck?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
"Nintendo already has Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, why does it need Golden Sun?" (Don't even know where to start with that one)
That's just sheer ignorance. Even then, Fire Emblem is an SRPG, while Xenoblade Chronicles is a real time MMO-esque RPG. Nintendo is lacking a dedicated turn-based RPG that isn't a monster collectathon.

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice

I think Isaac is a lock. I'm on record saying it here, Reddit and the cancer that is SmashFAQs. Fite me.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
How quickly would I get kicked out of the general discussion if I even dared to mention Vaati?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's just sheer ignorance. Even then, Fire Emblem is an SRPG, while Xenoblade Chronicles is a real time MMO-esque RPG. Nintendo is lacking a dedicated turn-based RPG that isn't a monster collectathon.
In the span of about a year, Nintendo is going to release DK, Kirby, Mario and Yoshi platformers. Genre saturation doesn't seem a huge concern for them. And those games are all more similar to each other than GS would be to Ninty's other "RPGs".

How quickly would I get kicked out of the general discussion if I even dared to mention Vaati?
People used to mention Vaati a lot but then Nintendo threw him in a pit and he hasn't been seen since.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
In the span of about a year, Nintendo is going to release DK, Kirby, Mario and Yoshi platformers. Genre saturation doesn't seem a huge concern for them. And those games are all more similar to each other than GS would be to Ninty's other "RPGs".
Yeah that was my main rebuttal. DK, Kirby, Yoshi, and Mario are all more similar to each other than Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and Golden Sun. They have overlapping fanbases to be sure, but they're extremely distinct in terms of gameplay.

Anyways, getting hype about this Direct. I hope they just hit us with all the info they have left because by November we'll probably have a ton of leaks on our hands.

Last edited:

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
Oh god, here we go again. The wait doesn’t seem that bad but as soon as theres hope of a direct coming soon, it’s unbearable.

Anyway, it’s about time for us to brace ourselves for impact. If it’s true we’re getting a direct soon, it could very well be the last one. We might be faced with a hard truth, or sweet, sweet victory.

Why am I nervous before a direct has even been announced haha

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
Could the Golden Sun stage work like Midgar, just replacing the Materia with Djinn?

Or would fancy Djinn summons work better as assist trophies/final smash options?

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I'm just gonna say what I always say: as long as the dreaded Assist Trophy doesn't happen, there's always hope.
Even after that, I wouldn't give up. Felix and Matthew would still be a thing for DLC or whatever. I already said that, but the day I stop campaigning for Golden Sun 4 and a playable Golden Sun rep in Smash is either the day it happens, or the day I die.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
No, it's true. If Isaac/Golden Sun rep somehow doesn't happen even after all the DLC is said and done, it just means I'll be right back in this thread for Smash 6. 4th time's the charm.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I keep thinking that updating the playlist on 1st October it's because they want to keep with the trend of "8.8" with the 10.10.

It can been sooner or later of course but that's what I think (meaning only 4 days țo be announced).

Btw last night I had a dream in which my coworkers and I had to pass a Golden Sun test on paper in order to have GS representation on smash.... And the only thing I remember is arriving late to it.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
"if a character needs to be included in Smash to save its series then it didn't deserve to be in Smash."
So Pit doesn't deserve to be in Smash then?

God, I swear, these people are just desperate for excuses as to why characters they don't like can't make it in.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
What they don't realize is the card is paper. and the box is rock. so card theory is actually gonna break box theory.

I mean think about it. Box theory is about the idea that the Box will have every character on it and they won't sell a product that doesn't have the full roster. but this card is something that is already being sold in japan. it's basically like a pre order. but it is proof they will sell merchandise that doesn't show the full roster!

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Or Isaac and Felix? ;)
Isaac trailer, with Felix revealed as a boss! With a Pokemon semi-clone that nobody was expecting *cue evil laugh* Oh what a sweet day to see EVERY leaker brought to shame.

Honestly though any reveal to wreck all the leak trains will do. But an Isaac reveal would be best obviously.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
... ... ...I dunno, I haven't had cause to bring him up.

I'm just gonna say what I always say: as long as the dreaded Assist Trophy doesn't happen, there's always hope.
...Yeah, thanks for rubbing it in.

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, how many time did past between the wii u smash4 launch and the DLCs?

I'm wondering how much time they will wait after ultimate is launched until the first DLC

Q-Long

Smash Lord

That thread is full of contrarians that hate the obscure. They want characters from Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc. They have a very darwinistic approach to gaming and the things they enjoy. They're the person that gets mad when a lesser known artist or film wins an award.

Honestly I have seen more people with their attitude lately in regards to smash. "Anything obscure sucks" . They're a vocal minority that you will waste your time engaging with. Only thing they have done for me is give me more empathy for our friends: Geno, Skull Kid, Banjo, etc. Because they have the same stuff thrown at them.

I wouldnt go that thread if you like nintendo outside the context of mario, pokemon, and zelda. Because everything apparently deserves to die.

Only go there when isaac is confirmed then you can rub it in their faces. Heck, you know how alot of users on social media thanked samurai for including K Rule? We could do the same, except not only thank him for isaac, thank him for supporting the lesser known all these years, whether it's for the return of Lucas or the inclusion of Pit.

Last edited:

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
If Isaac doesn’t make an appearance at all in the base game, he has to be a prime candidate for DLC.

And then if he’s not DLC, I have to believe Sakurai just has no interest in adding the character.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
I'm curious, how many time did past between the wii u smash4 launch and the DLCs?

I'm wondering how much time they will wait after ultimate is launched until the first DLC
Well we had mewtwo announced before launch, and he was released with lucas some time around february/March from what I remember. And the game released in September so that's around 6 months post-launch

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated support list

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆