• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I've been voting for Geno on all the previous fights, for the sake of his fans and because i also want him in regardless of me never having played SMRPG… But now it has come to this… voting for Isaac! Good luck everyone. Banjo is gonna murder whoever wins anyway lmao

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I've never really sat down and paid attention before but Isaac's hair actually looks like a wild mess. I wonder if Sakurai will throw a bucket of water on him again keep it flattened like the Brawl assist render or let the spikes do their thing.
He finally got a haircut in Dark Dawn. :p

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
One thing that has me a little nervous, is the fact that if it is a stand alone reveal trailer (like :ultrobin's), would we see a new stage (or assist trophy) in such a trailer? Think about it, if it is just a reveal trailer that means that Sakurai won't appear to give us details like he was able to for the Castlevania reveal (where he provided details about the stage). Would the stage appear on the website (under stages)? Unless the reveal trailer also shows off the stage's gimmicks clearly, I find it unlikely. It seems a little doubtful to me that they would put many elements (character, stage, assist) in a single reveal. Even if it is just Isaac and a stage, that is more content revealed than the :ultisabelle: trailer.

Again we could see Isaac (and more Golden Sun stuff) in a stand alone reveal trailer. Yet a smash direct would allow Sakurai to provide clarification that a stand alone trailer could not accomplish. A Pokemon or Geno would probably require less explanation and thus be a better fit for a stand alone trailer.
I lean more to Isaac being saved for a Smash direct myself, but speaking of trailer content in general, Shulk's showed off his stage, assist, and had an ending cgi clip that hinted towards the stage boss.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think the Castlevania stage getting such attention was more of an exception than a rule.

I don't think new stages, even from new franchises will necessarily get the same treatment.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Oh hell no, he was plague on Xenoblade Chronicles X' soundtrack, he's not bad but he's also a one trick pony!
Nah nah, I can understand not liking X's OST (which I think had more to do with Monolithsoft's sound direction, or lack thereof, than Sawano himself), but the guy didn't become prolific in Japanese movies, live-action dramas, and anime by being a one trick pony (whatever that's suppose to mean). Guy has demonstrated lot's of different 'tricks', scope, and range throughout his career:

https://soundcloud.com/maximillion-galactica-72/blue-red

https://soundcloud.com/maximillion-galactica-72/serial-murders

https://soundcloud.com/ahmad-fauzi-14/taiyou-no-uta-ost-from-sunset-to-sunrise

https://soundcloud.com/max-galactica/link05bpm9668kodoku

https://soundcloud.com/max-galactica/3594-website-theme

Each of these are quite different from the other, and packed with variety, strong melodies, and feelz. I'd also add that some of Sawano's criticisms (sounding samey) are common among a lot of popular composers, including our Golden Sun dude, Motoi Sakuraba. Famed Hollywood composer such as Zimmer and the late James Horner were often critic'd about having a recognizable style as well. Hear a composer enough, and you'll start to notice 'go to' patterns. It's very common, and there is nothing wrong with that. Those common patterns are why some of us become fans of these individuals to begin with.

That all said, I can understand why some composers wouldn't be for everyone because of these recognizable styles, as not everyone for example likes, say, rap, country, or r&b, etc. Sawano is best known for his bombastic and epic scores in anime, and his nzk vocal project has been a big success, so he does more lyrical vocal songs nowadays for anime and game OP's/ED's.

I'd like to share this song from Motoi Sakuraba from a Tales game that came before our favorite Golden Sun Karagol Sea theme:

The beginning is a note to note rip. lol But I still enjoyed the song, and love the composer. Sakuraba has shown the ability to come up with all kinds of different stuff after all, such as this beautiful rearranged piece he did for Valkyrie Profile 2:

Alright, that's a lot of music I just posted, lol. But anyway, for a new Golden Sun, I'd want Sakuraba back and at his best. I don't think it'd quite feel the same with us nostalgians if any other composer were on board. Sakuraba's got his own touch, and other great composers have theirs. Give him a good budget and ample time, and I'm sure he can still churn out that Golden Sun magic that blew us all away in 2001/2003 or whenever we played the games.

Edit: Links fixed.

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I lean more to Isaac being saved for a Smash direct myself, but speaking of trailer content in general, Shulk's showed off his stage, assist, and had an ending cgi clip thar hinted towards the stage boss.
Good point. Something I have noticed is that character trailer content for Ultimate has been pretty low so far (the main exception being the Simon reveal trailer). The reveals of other characters tend to be primarily focused on them and no other elements. :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultisabelle: reveal trailers did not show any new stage or assist (the same can be said for the reveal of echo fighters). I get that these are all characters from returning series but, putting additional content in a character reveal trailer has not really had a strong presence in Ultimate so far.

One thing I will say that is in favor of a new stage being included in a stand alone trailer is that, we know that there are 5 stages left to be announced (they have to announce them at some point).

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
What an appropriate final three.

Also, who's to say they don't mix it up and have a small explanation of whoever gets revealed in the standalone?
Or maybe it's more than a standalone...

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I've never really sat down and paid attention before but Isaac's hair actually looks like a wild mess. I wonder if Sakurai will throw a bucket of water on him again keep it flattened like the Brawl assist render or let the spikes do their thing.
I honestly hope his new render would better reflect his actual design.

I always thought his Brawl render looked off. That explains why. But honestly Isaac has a very... particular hair style that I’m sure is difficult to replicate in a 3d environment. He has like a strange anime spiky haired bowl cut reverse mullet thing going on.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

I always thought his Brawl render looked off. That explains why. But honestly Isaac has a very... particular hair style that I’m sure is difficult to replicate in a 3d environment. He has like a strange anime spiky haired bowl cut reverse mullet thing going on.
Even Smashified Isaac keeps the spikes portion of his hair flattened. Though after seeing Sakurai tackling the roller coaster of directional spikes that is Cloud's hair (which looks even better in Ultimate), Isaac's hair may come off as a walk in the park. Though that hair description is going to make me forever chuckle at Isaac's 2d art render lol.

Q-Long

Smash Lord

I always thought his hair looked Gokuish

Then I better get a Jaden and Yusei echo.
haha yes and they can use polymerization to give us things even crazier than peachette

donkey kong + captain falcon
rosalina + kirby
rob + shulk
little mac + richter
mr gw + daisy

imagine all the demented fusions

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I always thought his hair looked Gokuish

haha yes and they can use polymerization to give us things even crazier than peachette

rosalina + kirby
rob + shulk
little mac + richter
mr gw + daisy

Donkey Kong + Capt. Falcon = Saitama? Oh geez...Donkey Punch and Falcon Punch fused together to destroy the universe in ONE PUNCH!!!

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, we are clearly getting our 2 final newcomers, Ken and Incineroar.

5 stages to annouce?
Aight, Big Final D, Small Final D, Omega Final D, Battle field final D and MiiVerse 2.

We can all go home, no more annoucement for 2 months, Hurray!

EDIT: Sarcasm, Go Isaac!
If all of that comes true I am blaming you QcSlayer lol

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
So according to a few people who have looked into the character spotlight trailers the playlist was updated 10 days before the August Smash direct. It was again updated 10 days before the September Nintendo direct which gave us Isabelle. Now it appears that it was updated 2 days ago. This would mean we have an announcement on the 10th of this month! Interestingly enough that would put it on the second week of the month on a Wednesday just like the August Smash direct so we most likely have a Smash direct this month but it could still be a one off trailer.

If it is a full on direct then be on the lookout for Isaac! If it’s just a one off trailer then don’t expect it to be Isaac. Only two newcomers had complete moveset and series overviews during their reveals, Inkling and Simon. So any new IP in Smash will most likely not be a one off unless Sakurai does things differently than Robin/Lucina’s trailer and has a short segment talking about the new franchise for a bit afterwards.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Posted this in the newcomer thread by accident, let's try this again.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Someone did a render of Isaac for the "Everyone is here" image of the entire roster.

D

Deleted member

Did we... have this debate a few years ago with the Nintendo 3DS boxart?

Jezum, it takes anything to bring out the paranoia.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

Someone did a render of Isaac for the "Everyone is here" image of the entire roster.
I love how they used the design of that fake render leak. That's a really nice touch.

So according to a few people who have looked into the character spotlight trailers the playlist was updated 10 days before the August Smash direct. It was again updated 10 days before the September Nintendo direct which gave us Isabelle. Now it appears that it was updated 2 days ago. This would mean we have an announcement on the 10th of this month! Interestingly enough that would put it on the second week of the month on a Wednesday just like the August Smash direct so we most likely have a Smash direct this month but it could still be a one off trailer.

If it is a full on direct then be on the lookout for Isaac! If it’s just a one off trailer then don’t expect it to be Isaac. Only two newcomers had complete moveset and series overviews during their reveals, Inkling and Simon. So any new IP in Smash will most likely not be a one off unless Sakurai does things differently than Robin/Lucina’s trailer and has a short segment talking about the new franchise for a bit afterwards.
So it was updated ten days prior to the September direct, which means that's a consistent pattern. I am praying dearly that continues to hold up because the 10th would fall on my birthday and getting an Isaac reveal then would be by far, the best present I could ever get.

D

Deleted member

I'm still supporting Isaac. Whoever wins will likely be seeing a voting push that may see 10K votes for the championship.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Did we... have this debate a few years ago with the Nintendo 3DS boxart?

Jezum, it takes anything to bring out the paranoia.
I don't think that the boxart was framed like it included everyone though, and we knew that they were saving some characters for post-release. This time around, we know that they'll reveal everyone before the game releases, but people are now taking that to mean that every "cast shot" is going to include every single character in the game as well.

Side note, I found this gem while looking up the 3DS boxart:

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

I almost had a heart attack there! Lol
That fake Isaac render leak was the best thing to come out. Now I REALLY hope Isaac has that look now. It looks so good!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That render looks pretty legit and real. If it wasn't for being a tweet it could had been almost up there with the Ken image.

Q-Long

Smash Lord

That's great. Speaking of which, who is doing the official art for Smash Ultimate?

A 10.10 direct would make sense, please make it happen Sakurai :(
yeah because an isaac review would be 10/10... sorry :B

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A Direct taking place during 10.10 could be the perfect sequel to 8.8

It could start with Sakurai saying ‘Remember that interview? Yeah I lied’ as a cold opening.

ZelDan

Smash Master

It could start with Sakurai saying ‘Remember that interview? Yeah I lied’ as a cold opening.
Then he immediately shows off Incineroar as a pokeball pokemon and Minecraft Steve as an Assist Trophy and then it cuts back to Sakurai laughing

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
If they air a Direct on 10.10 I suppose they'll announce it around ...3 days earlier like in August? that would be 7.10, Sunday like in August (at least it was Sunday when they announced it here in Spain).....

So 5 days remaining :drfacepalm:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

rosalina + kirby
rob + shulk
little mac + richter
mr gw + daisy

That's genius. Sakurai make it real

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

He could even do something like, time to reveal our final newcomer, and then say, just kidding again lol.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
He could even do something like, time to reveal our final newcomer, and then say, just kidding again lol.
Wouldn't put it past him. He said Zero Suit was cut during a Smash 4 direct, turned her Brawl render monochromatic as if he were pressing F to pay respects, then immediately said "just kidding".

It'd throw my emotions for a ride but I'd appreciate that he's seemingly aware of everybody's recent pessimism.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
And here I was wondering if there even would be any news this month. You guys discussing that new newcomer trailer has me excited, but is it confirmed or just a fan speculated leak?

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
I was, and am, a Lloyd Bro, but i have also always been an Isaac bro. Love the alliance two of my most wanted have in this game! Don't know why I forget to be added to the fan list here, but I am a supporter all the way!

Top Bottom