• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A bonus character for Nintendo Online is absolutely plausible. Remember, Mewtwo was a freebie if you registered both games OR simply available to purchase as DLC. I see no reason they couldn't (or wouldn't) do the same thing here, possibly as a timed exclusive: "Here's our first DLC character. It'll be available in the eShop on <date>, but you can get a free download code by being an active subscriber to Nintendo Online any time from <date> to <date>."

I can't say for sure why Mute City was changed and Mushroom Kingdom wasn't. If I had to guess, I'd guess it's because Mushroom Kingdom 64 and Melee are very similar stages overall, so I can see why they'd just pick one and call it Mushroom Kingdom, much like how the latest version of Battlefield isn't called "Battlefield Ultimate". Mute City SNES and N64 are much more distinct from each other by comparison, so while I don't expect them to bring the latter back, I can understand why they'd still make the name change.
The alleged leak didn’t say Geno would be free for Switch Online subscribers, it said he’d be exclusive. As in, non-subscribers can’t even pay for him. That’s scummy no matter how you look at it.

So people were posting Isaac memes last night. Here's my simple contribution:

My thoughts exactly, but you know how to make it perfect?

Replace Drake with 50 Cent.

D

Deleted member

Drake got the right reaction heh. Although if Steve got in I'd be okay with it, still Isaac over him anyday.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The alleged leak didn’t say Geno would be free for Switch Online subscribers, it said he’d be exclusive. As in, non-subscribers can’t even pay for him. That’s scummy no matter how you look at it.
Sure, no argument on that. That said, this "leak" has not really proven anything yet, and, frankly, it just doesn't seem like a very Nintendo thing to do. I'll be ready to complain alongside everyone else should that future come to pass.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Here’s something that I think we all need to discuss. If Isaac makes it in as a playable character, do you think he will be a top tier character or do you think he will be one of those mid tier ones regarding his moveset? I think he could be potentially meta.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Here’s something that I think we all need to discuss. If Isaac makes it in as a playable character, do you think he will be a top tier character or do you think he will be one of those mid tier ones regarding his moveseat? I think he could be potentially meta.
Venus Psynergy are large enough attacks that will cover some distance in front of Isaac, not to mention that his sword should cover decent enough range too. Those will both be huge positives as long as his frame data doesn't suffer for it like Shulk's did. If he has terraforming elements in his kit, then he could be a great character for stage control and covering territory like Inklings are. That can either enhance his disjointed nature or fix any issues with laggy moves he may encounter.

So in the end, it's very probable that Isaac will be a character who can force opponents to play by his rules and give him respect. Given that Bayonetta succeeded so well with those same qualities...

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
I mean, that's kind of pointless speculation. We don't have any idea what his moveset is or his particular stats (weight, speed, etc).

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Here’s something that I think we all need to discuss. If Isaac makes it in as a playable character, do you think he will be a top tier character or do you think he will be one of those mid tier ones regarding his moveseat? I think he could be potentially meta.
This really depends on the moves he has and how they can connect with one another, his speed, and his recovery. If he was a literal echo of Robin but just with faster run speed I think he would be mid to high tier. I can see him having a moveset that has pretty good combo connections, fast runspeed, and a decent recovery. So if that was the case I think he would be high tier but definitely not top tier

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Stupid theory from me (note: I don't believe it and i'm probably not the first person to come to the conclusion)
)

What if there was 16 stages left? lol 6 more in the base and 10 DLC.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Okay so something just dawned on me while I was at the gym and I definitely need to bring this up. Before I give my reasonings I will start with my conclusions first. ONE of these THREE statements has to be true!!!

1. Vergeben's info is wrong/old (similarly to Gametsu's leak back during Smash 4 hype) and there are other characters he doesn't know about.
2. Vergeben's info is correct as Sakurai and his team originally planned on more characters to be playable in the base roster which is why they were so trigger happy with the reveals at the start but an issue came up and they realized they wouldn't be able to complete everyone without delaying the game.
3. Vergeben's info is correct as during the planning for this game Sakurai and his team had a long list of newcomers to work on and prioritized everyone. In order to meet the deadline they set of December 7th, certain characters were put on the back burner and will be the first wave of DLC we get.

The reasons for why I came to these conclusions is due to all the teases Sakurai has made! Why post the Rathalos pic? Why decorate his office in a weird way again for the August direct like he did in e3 which made us assume a DK rep was coming? Why have the Karate Joe easter egg in King K Rool's reveal? Why have that strange cloud in King K Rool's reveal that kinda looks like Rayman? Why do any of those things if the payoff isn't in the game?

Sakurai said it himself that he has to be careful about what he posts during the lead up to a new Smash game so why get all these different fanbases' hopes up just for there to be no payoff? I also find it interesting that suddenly Sakurai had to come out and say they might have been trigger happy with the reveals...naw, knowing Sakurai he probably thought he could get all his planned characters done but either something unexpected happened or he was trying to bite off more than he and his team could chew.

Something is clearly up! Either our credible leakers are wrong or certain characters had to be pushed back into dlc so they could get the game out on time!

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Okay so something just dawned on me while I was at the gym and I definitely need to bring this up. Before I give my reasonings I will start with my conclusions first. ONE of these THREE statements has to be true!!!

1. Vergeben's info is wrong/old (similarly to Gametsu's leak back during Smash 4 hype) and there are other characters he doesn't know about.
2. Vergeben's info is correct as Sakurai and his team originally planned on more characters to be playable in the base roster which is why they were so trigger happy with the reveals at the start but an issue came up and they realized they wouldn't be able to complete everyone without delaying the game.
3. Vergeben's info is correct as during the planning for this game Sakurai and his team had a long list of newcomers to work on and prioritized everyone. In order to meet the deadline they set of December 7th, certain characters were put on the back burner and will be the first wave of DLC we get.

The reasons for why I came to these conclusions is due to all the teases Sakurai has made! Why post the Rathalos pic? Why decorate his office in a weird way again for the August direct like he did in e3 which made us assume a DK rep was coming? Why have the Karate Joe easter egg in King K Rool's reveal? Why have that strange cloud in King K Rool's reveal that kinda looks like Rayman? Why do any of those things if the payoff isn't in the game?

Sakurai said it himself that he has to be careful about what he posts during the lead up to a new Smash game so why get all these different fanbases' hopes up just for there to be no payoff? I also find it interesting that suddenly Sakurai had to come out and say they might have been trigger happy with the reveals...naw, knowing Sakurai he probably thought he could get all his planned characters done but either something unexpected happened or he was trying to bite off more than he and his team could chew.

Something is clearly up! Either our credible leakers are wrong or certain characters had to be pushed back into dlc so they could get the game out on time!
Assuming the Rathalos tweet was in fact a reference to golden sun, and is supposed to hint at Isaac in the game, why would he hint at a character that wouldn't be finished in time instead of one that is? I understand that logic for the trailers though, seeing as it most likely takes a long time to make those, and they'd be hard to properly edit before revealing. But I'm still leaning towards the first statement of yours.

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
2 is flat out impossible. The roster for this game was set in stone probably some time last year. The game is likely already finished by now, they are just working out the issues with production and distribution. If they are working on anything relevant to the actual game itself two months out, it's last minute testing and bug fixing.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Stupid theory from me (note: I don't believe it and i'm probably not the first person to come to the conclusion)
)

What if there was 16 stages left? lol 6 more in the base and 10 DLC.
That's more like 18 spaces, which would be wayyyy too much imo. Unless they decide to support this game with dlc for 2+ years

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

It’s more likely that Vergeben is just wrong.

Let's try this again: Steve vs. Isaac, presented by 50 Cent.

My man!

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I’ve always thought Isaac was a good character choice for Smash, but outside of some of his abilities and potential for a moveset, I really don’t know anything about him, his supporting cast, or really anything about his series. It didn’t feel right supporting someone I know so little about, so I decided to pick up the first Golden Sun! (Unfortunately Lost Age sprang up in price by $130 before I was able to get it, but I got the first one!) can’t wait to try it out!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
f-zero is dead cause they have mario kart. just like how paper mario got ruined
Not exactly a fair comparison, since at least F-Zero went out with its dignity intact (unlike PM, which is fully in Miyamoto's clutches).

2 is flat out impossible. The roster for this game was set in stone probably some time last year. The game is likely already finished by now, they are just working out the issues with production and distribution. If they are working on anything relevant to the actual game itself two months out, it's last minute testing and bug fixing.
And fixing the character models a bit, one would hope.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Rathalos pic I'm pretty sure is a tease, that Golden Sun will be in the game in some form. Hopefully with playable Isaac. But the rest...

• I'm of the mind that his Direct decorations were coincidental. No one was thinking of DK reps being teased during E3, it was only after when the Skull Kid chair theories started gaining traction that people looked back and made connections (barrel = DK).
  • I'm not an expert on this, but I'm fairly positive that the "laying down in front of TV while scratching ass" pose is not exclusive to Karate Joe, and is more of a Japanese cultural thing and a lot of characters have been drawn that way, if I'm not mistaken.
  • As for the Rayman cloud, I'm fairly sure this one is a coincidence. There was a Pac-Man cloud in the Greninja trailer, but that's a bit more of a recognizable shape.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The roster for this game was set in stone at the latest in 2016.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still don't trust any of the leaks.
None have felt reliable to me.

I'd also like to remind people how easy is to make fake-predictions on the internet
https://medium.com/message/how-to-always-be-right-on-the-internet-delete-your-mistakes-519a595da2f5

I'm hoping that the next direct comes on the first weeks of October.
It doesn't have to have tons of characters, but it would be nice to know about the remaining modes. heh
In terms of leaks, Vergeben potentially has something going for him... but then you realize all the notable things he "leaked" (Ridley and Simon, one by ResetEra/Jon Cartwright and the other by Stealth) had already been leaked prior, and everything else was easy guesses (if Simon is in Snake has to be, Ice Climbers aren't a hard guess, and after E3 Isabelle was already a top candidate). He also missed several big things including Richter, K. Rool, Echo Fighters in general, and "Everyone is Here".

EDIT: Crap, I didn't see that I was the last poster.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I’ve always thought Isaac was a good character choice for Smash, but outside of some of his abilities and potential for a moveset, I really don’t know anything about him, his supporting cast, or really anything about his series. It didn’t feel right supporting someone I know so little about, so I decided to pick up the first Golden Sun! (Unfortunately Lost Age sprang up in price by $130 before I was able to get it, but I got the first one!) can’t wait to try it out!
Where are you trying to buy it from? I literally bought The Lost Age about two months back online from Gamestop for roughly $8.99

EC8C4471-8CB5-4F27-A17A-F60CBCF7AB4B.jpeg

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Just voted for Isaac! And while I do want Sora in as he is #3 on my most wanted list, I would gladly trade him for my Geno Bros to finally get their guy in! So, I voted Geno. Win this thing for us, dudes!

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
I am curious...
What is everyone's top 10 games of all time? I want to see the gaming taste of fellow Isaac fans.
My turn. I mainly play RPG, because good stories is what I'm looking for in video games (even, if quite frankly, as a fellow scriptwriter, good stories in videogames are really rare)

0- Final Fantasy IX.
I'm still searching for anything in this world to compete with the quality of its script and the depths of its subject matter. A masterpiece with no comparison among every media, and which made what I am today.

1 - Tales of Symphonia
Even if it pales in comparison with FFIX, the game has still a really strong script. The gameplay was also stellar in the days of its release.

2 - Fire Emblem Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn
An enigma among FE games which are genuinely bad in terms of scriptwriting. The structure of its story is amazing, as long as the characterisation and the progression of the main protagonist. Ike is without a doubt one of the most well-written protagonist I know.

3 - Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda is my favorite videogame serie, even if its stories are ridiculously poor. In the other hand, LoZ has a wonderful and dreamy lore/universe. And my journey to Termina left a lasting impression in my mind. I freaking love the atmosphere, the scary look of the majora's mask, the music, the sadness of some scene between romani and Cremia (? french name). One of my most immersive experience in video-game.

4 - Baten Kaitos
The most original RPG I ever played. The gameplay and sidequests, the lore, the f****ing dramatic turn of events that Kalas brings... BK is truly special. It has also the most beautiful OST that I ever heard.

5 - Undertale/Mother 3
Thanks to Toby Fox and Shigesato Itoi for using the video-game medium for what it truly worths, and making more than just a simple "entertainement" by focusing on the interaction between the medium and the gamer, to improve what really matters : emotions. It's not perfect, but the games were really memorable. The characterisation of Undertale is splendid, too bad that the script is not elaborate.

6 - Smash 4
My favorite SSB so far, and maybe the videogame I spend the most time on (outside FFIX).

7 - Xenoblade Chronicles
The story is over-estimated by a lot of people (thanks to its really emotionnal start and philosophical subject), but it's still quite good. But I mostly love the game for its gameplay and universe (climbing a World Titan ? That was sick) ! Also Melia is a really strong female character (and one of my favorite game character of all time), wich I'd love to see more in Japanese media. Unfortunately XC2 crushed all the respect and hopes I had...

8 - Golden Sun TLA
My favorite episode of the serie, also my favorite handheld RPG, loved the mechanics. The lore is interresting but the story is empty, it's basically a long travel through dungeons to catch bad guys. There's still a little more story in the second book, more psynergies and gameplay, so... an obvious pick for me. Also the attachment that I had for the game during my childhood lead me to a weird dream in a fantasy world inspired from ToS and GS, which I immediately wrote on waking. It became a really long story that followed me until today, which I tried to compile on a 350 pages novel. So yeah... I guess GS had a stronger impact on my life than we could think.

9 - Sonic Adventure 2
Thanks to this game, I met my best friend (who I fell in love with... that, she doesn't know). So... Strong emotionnal bond with the game.

10 - Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Ages
The pinnacle of 2D Zelda games. The gameplay is stunning for a GBC game, and it's the most challenging (hence, satisfying) Zelda game I played. It's also a strong part of my childhood. Oracle of Seasons was too easy, the script way more simplier, and the game shorter.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Remember how the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn website was put back up in August. I went to search for it today out of curiosity and I noticed something unusual. The assigned date next to is doesn't say August 2018 anymore but DECEMBER 2010. Can someone please investigate this.
This is what the search looked like on August 10 2018
Here's the UK page. BTW, I can see the "5 days ago" message when searching for Dark Dawn specifically in the Nintendo UK site as well:

EDIT: Also, I updated my avatar for a nicer version of that art. :estatic:
And this is what it looks like now
1538094519071.png

Attachments

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Remember how the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn website was put back up in August. I went to search for it today out of curiosity and I noticed something unusual. The assigned date next to is doesn't say August 2018 anymore but DECEMBER 2010. Can someone please investigate this.

View attachment 166965
Huh.

leon3789

Smash Rookie
I am curious...
What is everyone's top 10 games of all time? I want to see the gaming taste of fellow Isaac fans.

I'll start

1) Golden Sun ( I count GS 1/2 as one game, with the whole they were planned to be one game and the password link system)
2) Majora's Mask
3) Megaman Zero (I looooooooved 2 and 3, 4 is okay but I just love the first one for it's feel and difficulty)
4) Pokemon Crystal
5) Animal Crossing GC (NL is amazing, I loved it, but I have more memories with the GC one)
6) Wario Land
7) Kirby Dream Land 2
8) Fire Emblem 6 (Roy is the best Lord, IDC what you say, he is 15, 15 that is why he is weak, he is a child. Plus unlike Corrin he is not a **** up and a disgrace to FE
9) Power Rangers Snes
10 )Soul Caliber III

It's so hard to pick a top 10. I love so many games. I did one per series because of Zelda. I would have had like 4 of em up there.

So as you can tell, I am a Nintendo boy. Love my Snes games but I really love my handheld games.
I saw this message earlier when I was reading through the thread deciding if I wanted to post here or not and thinking over it for so long it's led to me noticing...I don't know if I can actually make a Top Ten list.

I've played SO many games in my life growing up, it's basically been my passion, so it's kinda hard to just pick 10 as my all time favorites.

So here's my best attempt I guess.
1) Persona 5.
Out of all the games I'm putting on this list, this was the easiest. The Persona Series in general is my top series, and has been since I played Persona 3 a few years ago. It's cheesey, cliche, and the most anime you can go with a video game as possible, and I love it.

2) Final Fantasy 6.
This was a game that was at the top of my list until Persona came into the picture, and funnily enough for a reason kinda like Persona. I adore the characters in Final Fantasy 6. they are some of my favorite characters in the whole of Final Fantasy.

3) Xenoblade Chronicles.
From this point the list kinda becomes...interchangeable. Any game could be 3, and any game could be 10. It's just that besides Final Fantasy 6 and Persona 5, nothing jumps as being my favorite over the other from here on. So yeah, but on Xenoblade it hits all the right cords for me. Characters I like, an interesting story, fun gameplay, and plenty to do outside of the story. Xenoblade DOES suffer from one issue tho that has led to me...well not completing it yet... I got it on the Wii REALLY close to when I ended up stopping playing the Console, and the 3DS version is just...not too fun to play? Mainly with the Camera control. It's a game I REALLY want to get a switch port, but we'll see.

4) Skyward Sword.
When picking a Favorite Zelda it's not an easy task, since for the most part any of them could be on this list for me. Why did I pick Skyward sword then over say, OoT or MM for example? I just personally feel it's a game that gets a lot of flak, and like to give it my praise when I can. I LOVED Skyward Sword, I'd even go as far as to say I enjoyed the Motion Controls for the swordplay (Tho just the sword play. The Beetle can die in my opinion). On Fi...Well..I actually don't mind her? I'm actually not an easy person to annoy so a character like Fi or Navi just never got on my nerves to be honest.

5) Undertale.
A game I don't normally admit is in my top ten, but Undertale is just...more then just a game to me and I love it. The emotions it ended up building in me and the idea behind the game as a whole...I feel the best way to explain why Undertale is so big to me would require me to spoil a point in the story and I don't know how to spoiler tag and really...Undertale is a game that is RUINED if you get spoiled, so I guess just take my word on it.

6) Super Smash Bros.
This...kinda needs to be on the list? Smash is so far the only game that comes to mind where EVERY time a new game is announced, I'm hyped. I fondly remember even back in the Brawl days, constantly checking the Dojo for updates, and how happy I was when my uncle brought me the game after waiting at the midnight release.

7) Final Fantasy 14.
So I wanted to keep the list to 1 game per series but...this has a bit of personal reason behind it. To anyone who doesn't know, Final Fantasy 14 is an MMORPG, and to be honest, it's an...ok one. I personally prefer it as my MMO of choice but the reason it's on my list is because it's kinda where my current, actual group of friends was formed, I can honestly say I'd be a lot more lonely and worse off if I never actually played Final Fantasy 14 so I feel it deserves a spot on this list.

8) Red Dead Redemption.
Weird one, but I feel like I should add it here as I've noted it as my favorite game of the last generation of consoles for...well since I played it. It's just a fun game, with a main character I like, and a story that interests me, no more, no less.

9) Golden Sun.
I won't lie. I love Golden Sun. I mean, I want Isaac in the game, of course I enjoy his game, but I have to put it on the part of the list that goes less into the higher numbers because it doesn't have as big an emotional attachment to me then other games. I love Golden Sun, I love the idea of Isaac in Smash and how fun he'd be, but Golden Sun didn't touch me as deeply as other games. In it's favor however, I have NOT been able to get the chance to play The Lost Age, which I hear is the better half of the game, so maybe my view will change whenever I get the chance to play that.

10) Phoenix Wright.
I love Phoenix Wright, and I don't think I need to explain why, as it's the same reason I hear a lot. The interesting, if not wacky cast of characters, the amazing music, and the rush that comes when you manage to actually piece together what happened in a case. The series is kinda samey every game, so for the most part you can put any game here and I'd work.

I'm surprised I was able to do that. Took a fair bit of time to do but there ya go.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464

View attachment 166965
So the date reverted back???

that's odd

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
The website was missing completely prior to that iirc which makes it more odd. It was taken down in the past but I'm not sure when
The website being brought back along with the whole trademark renewal cannot simply be just some ordinary coincidence right? Or maybe I'm just getting too ahead of myself lol :p
Edit: Nintendo has been cracking down on emulators in recent months so idk lol

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm not too optimistic, personally. I figure he'll be mid-tier, so useable and fun for casuals like myself, but not meta-defining.

Swordsmen have historically done alright in Smash, but never really excelled unless they were pretty fast or had ridiculous hitboxes. Marth has his tipper, while Cloud can hit opponents on the other side of the field with his moves (basically). Everyone else is or can be good, but not really meta-defining.

I'm expecting for Isaac to be a good character, but it wouldn't make sense to have him blisteringly fast or massive moving range (if he does summon pillars or hands, they'll likely be stationary moves). Sure, he might have good neutral and a ton of good moves, but I don't see him having the mobility that would guarantee him a top spot on the tier list. Sure, he might do pretty well, maybe top 10 or 15, but he definitely won't top it unless he has some jank/slightly-unfair mechanic.

Top Bottom