• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Another thing is that since Isaac has been in Smash as an assist before, we can assume that Sakurai has knowledge of the games as he referred to them to choose what he wanted Isaac to do. So I'm sure Sakurai would catch on to the resemblance (and it's not as if he doesn't have a whole team surrounding him) just as the fans picked it up. So definitely not something he'd post to raise hopes if Isaac isn't in the game.
My issue with "It's Monster Hunter boxart" is that Monster HUnter art is always way more dynamic. They're always in the middle of a hunt, not calmly waiting for the monster to take its turn. Actions scenes shouldn't be that hard in a screen shot mode. Shulk using Back Slash, Marth doing a Ken Combo and Link charging an arrow.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
My issue with "It's Monster Hunter boxart" is that Monster HUnter art is always way more dynamic. They're always in the middle of a hunt, not calmly waiting for the monster to take its turn. Actions scenes shouldn't be that hard in a screen shot mode. Shulk using Back Slash, Marth doing a Ken Combo and Link charging an arrow.
Not to mention the action shot in general would have been a lot easier to pull off than having the characters all lined up, perfectly facing towards Rathalos, accounting for idle animations etc. I'm on the boat that this photo had some manipulation done to it, this would be way too frustrating to recreate otherwise.

Last edited:

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Not to mention the action shot in general would have been a lot easier to pull off than having the characters all lined up, perfectly facing towards Rathalos, accounting for idle animations etc. I'm on the boat that this photo had some manipulation done to it, this would be way to frustrating to recreate otherwise.
There's also the little overlooked tidbit of assist trophies being lined up on the side potentially to make people think of an old assist trophy.--

(I also agree that if he were an AT, he'd have been shown by now.)

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention the action shot in general would have been a lot easier to pull off than having the characters all lined up, perfectly facing towards Rathalos, accounting for idle animations etc. I'm on the boat that this photo had some manipulation done to it, this would be way to frustrating to recreate otherwise.
The other key thing to recognize is the purpose for a post like that. If it were a hint at the monster hunter character it would have been unnecessary considering a major hint was that Rathalos appears in the trailers. And if it was a pic to pay homage to art for Monster hunter, I don't know if Sakarai would randomly tweet something like that. It feels like a potential waist of his time. It looks a lot more purposeful than just something simple like that. The characters are in a position that just looks to convincing.

Isaac is in this game.

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
There's also the little overlooked tidbit of assist trophies being lined up on the side potentially to make people think of an old assist trophy.--

(I also agree that if he were an AT, he'd have been shown by now.)
there's like 10 left right? what he's in that last batch? I mean people were saying "oh Ashley's gotta be in she wasn't at E3!" Next direct, bam there she was.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
there's like 10 left right? what he's in that last batch? I mean people were saying "oh Ashley's gotta be in she wasn't at E3!" Next direct, bam there she was.
I get what you mean, yet, as Isaac's one of the more heavily requested characters, I feel if he was returning as an AT, he would've been shown off early on. Several others feel the same I think.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Possible, but you should always look on the bright side of life! Until that day should come, we've still got our chance!

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Didn't someone proved that the image was edited, it's imposible to recreate something similar in Smash 4.

If Sakurai as time to edit it, he could have made a more obvious reference to MH, Isaac is in guys, it's a mather of when.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
However, that being said, Rathalos just as a character makes it seem very likely that the Monster Hunter might make an appearance in this game whether as DLC or base roster. It could also just be a stage boss and that's it, similar to bosses in Brawl.

I still think the tweet is definitely for Isaac though.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Point to note is she was shown off early, in essence the bandage was ripped off. Other popular characters like Krystal and Shovel Knight also had their deconfirms out of the way. Isabelle's assist trophy was strangely absent and even replaced and turns out she's playable.

For as popular and requested of a character Isaac is, there's no reason for him to not gotten deconfirmed with the others. That's a bit mean spirited to have Isaac fans hold on to the hope of him being playable after avoiding two assist trophy montages only to wait till October/November where ever the next Smash direct is and then be hit with Isaac returning as an assist. I would have been over it if he was shown off months ago with Ashley.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if you've noticed this but assist showcases have been clear so far not to raise too many expectations. Waluigi's was among the first ones to be show and Ashley's was briefly shown during the new AT showcases even though she had nothing to do there. If Isaac's would have been confirmed as an AT he would have been already.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Oh Sakurai 100% knows what he's doing.

There's absolutely no way that it was meant to be a reference Monster Hunter. It was a Golden Sun reference all the way, just with Rathalos as our Fusion Dragon replacement.

As others have already said, I think it was just a way to test the waters and let the hint out there. We'll just have to wait till he chooses to make our wishes come true and reveal Isaac as playable. He's in.

Last edited:

Rethuic

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if you've noticed this but assist showcases have been clear so far not to raise too many expectations. Waluigi's was among the first ones to be show and Ashley's was briefly shown during the new AT showcases even though she had nothing to do there. If Isaac's would have been confirmed as an AT he would have been already.
If Isaac were shown as an assist trophy at the last possible moment, then Sakurai would've been playing a cruel prank. Also, it's not like assist trophies haven't been upgraded to fighters before. First it was Little Mac, now it's Isabelle. Isaac is going to be a fighter, Box Theory is wrong, Felix should be an echo in possible DLC. The Rathalos thing is 101% a Golden Sun Reference. If Isaac were originally to be an assist, Sakurai would've said it in a similar he told us Skull Kid was an assist in Smash 4.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
If Isaac were shown as an assist trophy at the last possible moment, then Sakurai would've been playing a cruel prank. Also, it's not like assist trophies haven't been upgraded to fighters before. First it was Little Mac, now it's Isabelle. Isaac is going to be a fighter, Box Theory is wrong, Felix should be an echo in possible DLC. The Rathalos thing is 101% a Golden Sun Reference. If Isaac were originally to be an assist, Sakurai would've said it in a similar he told us Skull Kid was an assist in Smash 4.
Exactly. Sakurai doesn't just mess with fanbases without payoff. It's why he was able to pull off the King K Rool/Dedede thing so well: because K Rool was still in the game. If Isaac is an Assist Trophy, we'd know by now. He would've been seen in August. I think we'll see Isaac next and finally get some closure on all this: a new fighter, a new stage, people finally ignoring the stupid box theory, and realizing Verge doesn't have every single piece of information.

Rethuic

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Sakurai doesn't just mess with fanbases without payoff. It's why he was able to pull off the King K Rool/Dedede thing so well: because K Rool was still in the game. If Isaac is an Assist Trophy, we'd know by now. He would've been seen in August. I think we'll see Isaac next and finally get some closure on all this: a new fighter, a new stage, people finally ignoring the stupid box theory, and realizing Verge doesn't have every single piece of information.
Verge was already proven not to be an absolute prophet. He didn't get King K.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
I'm like 100% biased but I can see the next smash direct revealing the chorus kids at first and then end up with Isaac for the super hype closure of the direct.

+ A pokemon rep revealed along some pokemon Let's go announcement.
+ Geno revealed close to release for hype.

(and a bunch of echoes here and there)

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Verge was already proven not to be an absolute prophet. He didn't get King K.
Yeah, but most people seem to not realize that. They still fall for box theory, with Ken and Incineroar being the only fighters left. Isaac completely blows that out of the water.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Well, we already know Vergeben doesn’t have all the info because Loz18 shares his private message showing Verg knew nothing about King K Rool or an echo besides Ken who he/she says will be an echo. I believe Vergeben has partial info. Also, the box theory is kinda silly to me because it looks like a simple mock up to start preorders plus we have no clue what the back looks like. To top it up, no Smash box art ever featured the entire roster before. I think we just need to chill until Sakurai speaks again.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I feel like the Verg leaks will be shown to be false similar to the Gematsu leak saying Chrom would be in when it was actually. I could see Ken not being in the game, and Chun Li being in instead.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I feel like the Verg leaks will be shown to be false similar to the Gematsu leak saying Chrom would be in when it was actually. I could see Ken not being in the game, and Chun Li being in instead.
Really? I think Ken will be in, but Incineroar won't. For some reason, I just don't see the Pokemon rep being Gen 7, instead being DLC for Gen 8.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I have said this before but since we are bringing the tweet up I will gladly say it again. There is no way that tweet is a MH reference/homage.

I am a fan of the MH series, I love to see it in Smash and a Hunter is my third most wanted (behind Isaac and Skull Kid) and I have various MH games but no. If it was a tribute to MH of some sort is just bad. There is no point of using that kind of angle much less if it is not in a hunting /fighting stance (since basically you can achieve this angle while hunting in game but is not used a lot for promotional art) but MORE importantly, there is absolutely 0 value on choosing that stage as a background. All of the MH fights are in the open, when it is in closed spaces it is still in the wild (caves and caverns for example) so why would they choose the Collisseum for a MH reference?

And also if it was a MH reference, why choose one (two if we count Link as S&S) weapon type only if one of the most important and unique things of the series is the variety of weapons? They could have thrown Pit as bow, Snake as a bowgun, or Kirby/King DDD as hammer, heck, they could have even thrown Palutena there as the insect staff or something.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
However, that being said, Rathalos just as a character makes it seem very likely that the Monster Hunter might make an appearance in this game whether as DLC or base roster. It could also just be a stage boss and that's it, similar to bosses in Brawl.

I still think the tweet is definitely for Isaac though.
I think it's more likely Rathalos hints to another Capcom character, rather than the Hunter, otherwise, it'd be a dead giveaway. Although, like you said, Rathalos is just there, with no hints towards another Capcom character.

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
I could be wrong but didn’t Verge not know about K Rool? He’s already been proven to not know everything if that’s the case.

And yeah Sakurai doesn’t needlessly toy with fandoms. Only when there’s a pay off will he tease them a little.

The Rathalos pic was a GS reference. Anyone that says it’s a MH reference is blind as a bat. There’s no MH box art that replicated the same style that tweet was shown. All MH box arts had had some dynamic visual flare (as most box arts do). Meanwhile it’s frame perfect replicating the Golden Sun battles. Not to mention the characters used reference the characters from GS to an extent, but that’s more tin foil hatty.

And I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. Seeing as how it’s blatantly a Golden Sun reference. Sakurai wouldn’t tweet this out if there wasn’t some sort of pay off. He knows we exist. That’s why Isaac was in Brawl as an AT. That’s why a Dark Dawn track was in Sm4sh. He’s aware of Golden Sun and after the ballot, knows the demand for Isaac as a playable character. He wouldnt poke the bear that is the Golden Sun fanbase and not reveal him. It’s cruel. And essentially means he doesn’t care about us, which I know isn’t the case.

Edit: I should clarify that he obviously does care about us regardless, but rather doesn’t care enough to make him playable. Which would still be a stab in the heart after referencing Golden Sun.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
He wouldnt poke the bear that is the Golden Sun fanbase and not reveal him. It’s cruel. And essentially means he doesn’t care about us, which I know isn’t the case.
I like to agree but now and then I know some characters (and thus some niche fanbases along with 'em) that beg to differ...

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
The difference with Waluigi is he didn't string the fans along. He showed the Waluigi AT first thing, so they knew he wasn't a playable character.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I think we're already in heart break territory. Isaac being deconfirmed at this point would be crushing.
If that's what happens, it happens. This has been the most fun I've had in a hype cycle hanging with you guys. If we fall at this point, well at least I can say I touched the sky with a great group of friends and allies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey don't lose hope guys! Even if Isaac doesn't make Base there's still DLC. I'm rooting for y'all for your Golden Boy. ;)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If that's what happens, it happens. This has been the most fun I've had in a hype cycle hanging with you guys. If we fall at this point, well at least I can say I touched the sky with a great group of friends and allies.
Plus if Camelot takes notice of this all, we might just get another 0,5% chance of a new Golden Sun. Which is always good?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Re: Sakurai not toying with fandoms

Extrapolating that the Rathalos tweet might have been Sakurai testing the waters, maybe that tweet was around about the time when he started thinking about DLC characters, and was testing to see how many people caught the GS Reference to get an idea if making Isaac as the first DLC was worth it.

Maybe Isaac will be this game's Mewtwo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Re: Sakurai not toying with fandoms

Extrapolating that the Rathalos tweet might have been Sakurai testing the waters, maybe that tweet was around about the time when he started thinking about DLC characters, and was testing to see how many people caught the GS Reference to get an idea if making Isaac as the first DLC was worth it.

Maybe Isaac will be this game's Mewtwo.
I would like this a 10000 times more, easily. If I only could. Have a lighthouse my friend.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
I would like this a 10000 times more, easily. If I only could. Have a lighthouse my friend.
I'd be fine with waiting, especially if he's as OP as Sm4sh's DLC tended to be. Plus if he's being worked on alone, it would mean more care and attention to detail

Top Bottom