• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just imagining HD Judgement...

I hope we do get an HD remaster of the first two games. It would be gorgeous.
Yes, Judgement. The common pick for Isaac's Final Smash.

I suggest Iris as a counterargument.

Wouldn't you want to launch your foes into the sun? (The Golden Sun? Haha so funny)

You could even have the rest of the gang show up to justify it, like with the new PK Starstorms. It does require multiple people's worth of Djinn to cast.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Just imagining HD Judgement...

I hope we do get an HD remaster of the first two games. It would be gorgeous.
I can imagine all the Shovel Knight memes that will come out of Judgement if he is revealed as Isaac's Final Smash. One of the best things about Dark Dawn was seeing classic summons in 3D with updated sequences to the animation so having it in HD render would be a natural and amazing stepup

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
It's about time we see something from Camelot, imho. We're not getting a Shining Force character (probably not, safe bet there) and we're not getting Waluigi - I think it's time Sakurai finally showed the last Ninty affiliated company to receive anything some love.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Camelot has been with Nintendo since 1999 (near 20 years!), so it's a bit unfair Nintendo didn't give them some representation, unlike Vanpool or TOSE (apart from Game Freak, HAL Laboratory or Intelligent Systems, but these play in another league). But, I can comprehend why Nintendo didn't it, considering their "betrayal" in 2005 when they signed with Capcom, and how Nintendo gave them another opportunity when they were nearly bankrupt. Basically, viewing how both companies act as a client and developer, and how Nintendo didn't even acquired them after all of these years (unlike Nd Cube for example), I can understand that Nintendo doesn't owe them anything.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I kinda wished the blog would have new stuff instead of recapping what was in the E3 trailer and discussion.
Yeah, it's a rather stark difference from the SSB website pre-Brawl and 4. I'm afraid the reason for that is the design philosophy behind Super Smash Bros Ultimate. It is not meant to be a sequel full of new stuff like Brawl and 4, it's meant to be a combination of content from all of the past SSB games like we've never seen before. Sakurai has already said not to expect many newcomers. I have a feeling that there won't be much new content altogether. I'm hoping I am wrong, but everything just points that way.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for not uploading a Comic yesterday:

and with that, we have gon through Hijiku's comic!

Joins us next to for the next artist: Nanatani Bun!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Even know I dont know who Isaac as a character I sill love to see him in smash ultimate

D

Deleted member

Hope the Golden Sun series makes a comeback someday, the games they look amazing and. The Story needs to continue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Yes, Judgement. The common pick for Isaac's Final Smash.

I suggest Iris as a counterargument.

Wouldn't you want to launch your foes into the sun? (The Golden Sun? Haha so funny)

You could even have the rest of the gang show up to justify it, like with the new PK Starstorms. It does require multiple people's worth of Djinn to cast.
How about Catastrophe? Judgement...but prettier.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know what witchcraft is at play, but activity has really picked up in here in the last little while and people seem to be sticking Isaac in roster and leaks again, the latter of which hasn't really happened since Brawl! Having said that I probably jinxed everything, but it sure is nice to see! ^_^

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't know what witchcraft is at play, but activity has really picked up in here in the last little while and people seem to be sticking Isaac in roster and leaks again, the latter of which hasn't really happened since Brawl! Having said that I probably jinxed everything, but it sure is nice to see! ^_^
Probably might be his absence and the notion of the Ballot's top winners being picked in Ultimate in some form. Makes me wonder if Isaac was one of the most voted - or how much, that is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Glad too see some chatter for Isaac a positive and hopefully, people continue talking. To let his popularity be known.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Lol now we're jinxed aren't we

It is definitely heartening to see Isaac in leaks, I don't think this happened back during Smash 4 days. Even though these leaks are mostly false, atleast he has become popular enough to be included as an option in all this fake news xD

Let's keep spreading the word and hope our golden boy gets in!

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I just find it crazy that there is so much support for Isaac. I mean, we're the 4th most viewed Newcomer thread of the ones still on the board. Back during Smash 4, since I wasn't involved in the speculation scene, I had no idea there were so many other people who enjoyed Isaac as a character. Perhaps there's just been no unifying place for us Isaac fans until this point, so now we're all flocking here :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Probably might be his absence and the notion of the Ballot's top winners being picked in Ultimate in some form. Makes me wonder if Isaac was one of the most voted - or how much, that is.

Yeah, it's probably a mix of peoples' notions over the ballot more or less being reset with the revelation about Bayonetta, and the fact that Ultimate seems like it might take shape heavily around its results.

It is definitely heartening to see Isaac in leaks, I don't think this happened back during Smash 4 days. Even though these leaks are mostly false, atleast he has become popular enough to be included as an option in all this fake news xD

The more a character shows up in leaks, the more people wrap their head around the idea, and then expectation and want begin bleeding into each other! And new characters are always going to need to pick up the torch of the last fan favourite frontrunner.

Yeah, Camelot has been with Nintendo since 1999 (near 20 years!), so it's a bit unfair Nintendo didn't give them some representation, unlike Vanpool or TOSE (apart from Game Freak, HAL Laboratory or Intelligent Systems, but these play in another league). But, I can comprehend why Nintendo didn't it, considering their "betrayal" in 2005 when they signed with Capcom, and how Nintendo gave them another opportunity when they were nearly bankrupt. Basically, viewing how both companies act as a client and developer, and how Nintendo didn't even acquired them after all of these years (unlike Nd Cube for example), I can understand that Nintendo doesn't owe them anything.
I think betrayal is a bit dramatic. Camelot isn't owned by Nintendo, they're free to work with who they want. And Capcom isn't even a competitor... plus that game came out exclusively on the Wii. Plus originally Camelot jumped ship to Nintendo from Sega...

Yeah, it's a rather stark difference from the SSB website pre-Brawl and 4. I'm afraid the reason for that is the design philosophy behind Super Smash Bros Ultimate. It is not meant to be a sequel full of new stuff like Brawl and 4, it's meant to be a combination of content from all of the past SSB games like we've never seen before. Sakurai has already said not to expect many newcomers. I have a feeling that there won't be much new content altogether. I'm hoping I am wrong, but everything just points that way.
To be fair, the updates post-E3 for both the DOJO and PotD were pretty insignificant...

I just find it crazy that there is so much support for Isaac. I mean, we're the 4th most viewed Newcomer thread of the ones still on the board. Back during Smash 4, since I wasn't involved in the speculation scene, I had no idea there were so many other people who enjoyed Isaac as a character. Perhaps there's just been no unifying place for us Isaac fans until this point, so now we're all flocking here :p
Well I made the Smash 4 Isaac thread as well and there were points it was also one of the most active character support threads. As speculation went on and people caught on to the fact the newcomers were all quite timely the support petered off, but at the outset and again for the ballot the threads were quite lively and Isaac was prevalent on rosters and polls alike.

Smash Lord

Well Isaac has less competition than usual this time but the only thing that scares me this time is that they are adding less newcomers than usual. The only other older IP that is serious competition is Rhythm Heaven and to a lesser extent the Wars series. ARMS is too recent so it doesn't count. It all depends on the priorities that Sakurai is willing to take and if he would rather take the easy route of adding new characters from pre-existing franchises or would like more Nintendo IPs to get some love which is what I'm hoping for.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Well Isaac has less competition than usual this time but the only thing that scares me this time is that they are adding less newcomers than usual. The only other older IP that is serious competition is Rhythm Heaven and to a lesser extent the Wars series. ARMS is too recent so it doesn't count. It all depends on the priorities that Sakurai is willing to take and if he would rather take the easy route of adding new characters from pre-existing franchises or would like more Nintendo IPs to get some love which is what I'm hoping for.
Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai opts for the Rhythm Heaven rep since apparently it's a very popular series in Japan (and personally I loved it too). I just hope Sakurai sees the potential in Isaac's moveset.

KMDP

Smash Legend
the only thing that scares me this time is that they are adding less newcomers than usual.
We actually don't know that. All Sakurai said was "I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers", this doesn't necessarily mean what people tend to think it means. Since we don't know how many "too many" is.

Sakurai also said the same thing about Smash 4, albeit in a magazine interview that not everyone saw (this statement was more public), and we got 15 truly new Newcomers (not counting DP, Lucy and the returning Doc).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That said, I'm trying to think of an unrepresented Nintendo IP I'd give better odds to than Golden Sun, and the only one that comes to mind is Rhythm Heaven. And for DLC, ARMS. That's not bad.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
We actually don't know that. All Sakurai said was "I hope you're not expecting too many newcomers", this doesn't necessarily mean what people tend to think it means. Since we don't know how many "too many" is.

Sakurai also said the same thing about Smash 4, albeit in a magazine interview that not everyone saw (this statement was more public), and we got 15 truly new Newcomers (not counting DP, Lucy and the returning Doc).
Be insane if we got 15 fighters. We'd have to get like... two character reveals a month.

..............two character reveals a month. That'd be too good.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Right now I take everything Sakurai says without showing anything with a grain of salt. He is known for these kinds of ruses, remember when he faked confirming Palutena by showing Pseudo Palutena, but then confirmed her two months later anyway? Or how he cheekily tried to make us think ZSS wasn't coming back? He likes to play with our expectations, because it drives up the hype for his games significantly and makes his role in the industry that much more fun for him. That's why when he says "don't expect too many newcomers this time", I have this nagging feeling that even if the number of new fighters isn't as large as before, it still may be decently large compared to the expectations we as a community have set.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Be insane if we got 15 fighters. We'd have to get like... two character reveals a month.

..............two character reveals a month. That'd be too good.
You'd be alternating between 2 and 3 characters a month. Definitely not happening when we don't even know if we'll get even one a month. However, we could have a few secret characters hidden away at launch that could inflate the totals. It's been tradition after all.

I could see there being around 8-10 more characters that have yet to be shown. I don't think it'll be as drastic a decrease as some people believe.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I've been saying this for the longest time, but the pretty strong support for Isaac doesn't surprise me at all: Almost every Golden Sun fan thinks/thought there's not a lot of other fans who still want the series to come back and because of that, don't bother looking for communities to join. It's a pretty strange case of thinking the games are more obscure (or the communities more dead) than they really are. I even thought that the franchise was almost unknown in Japan nowadays but while its community is most likely smaller than in the West, people are still talking about Golden Sun.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I've been saying this for the longest time, but the pretty strong support for Isaac doesn't surprise me at all: Almost every Golden Sun fan thinks/thought there's not a lot of other fans who still want the series to come back and because of that, don't bother looking for communities to join. It's a pretty strange case of thinking the games are more obscure (or the communities more dead) than they really are. I even thought that the franchise was almost unknown in Japan nowadays but while its community is most likely smaller than in the West, people are still talking about Golden Sun.
That was my case before I came here during Smash 4 speculation. I thought it was just these awesome GBA games that not many people knew of. Heck, I didn’t even know if they were first party until I saw Isaac in Brawl.

Then I came here and found this place. So glad I did.

Smash Lord
I know of some people who discovered Golden Sun through Smash speculation actually and the first two games did sell more than a million which is an impressive feat for a new IP. Even then alot of people and famous YouTubers (such as JonTron who used Isaac's battle theme in one of his older videos) are aware of it's existence. If Camelot was a more capable developer, Golden Sun would've been a thriving franchise and it's a shame that isn't the case

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Speaking of this, I feel like most people are overlooking the chances of unrepped IPs. I mean if you look at Smash 4s newcomers, if you count the Miis as one character and you exclude the clones, you have 2 third parties (:ultmegaman::ultpacman:) , 5 characters from pre-existing series (:ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin:ultbowserjr:) and 6 characters from previously unrepped Nintendo series (:ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultduckhunt:). And while they could have easily added other popular and relevant characters like Ridley, Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ashley, Impa, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, etc., etc. They instead chose to have the majority of the Nintendo newcomers be completely new faces from both new and old franchises.

Then, I consider how in the E3 presentation, he made a specific point regarding how this is the biggest crossover in gaming history. Really emphasizing the fact that there a lot of games represented here.

So, if Sakurai is looking at the ballot and he sees characters like Isaac, Waddle Dee, Ashley, and Geno all ranked similarly, I feel like there is a very good chance that he would opt for the completely new face.

And as far as other franchises that he might look into for a new character, I do think Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, Dillon’s Rolling Western, and ARMS all stand out. But I am confident that, aside from Inkling, Isaac would’ve easily performed best in the ballot. Especially considering Rhythm Heaven’s lack of a main character, and ARMS being well past the prime time.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
I think betrayal is a bit dramatic. Camelot isn't owned by Nintendo, they're free to work with who they want. And Capcom isn't even a competitor... plus that game came out exclusively on the Wii. Plus originally Camelot jumped ship to Nintendo from Sega...
I mean, yeah, obviously it wasn't a betrayal per sé; Camelot was free and could accept any project. But, still, they wanted to jump to a long running PC game in the japanese market (which later became the Wii game after seeing it would have been a huge disaster) and they "left" Nintendo when Nintendo had a huge failure with the Gamecube and needed to reinvent themselves. Even now, Camelot proposed themselves to do a new sequel of Shining Force while they were doing the new mario tennis game. So I could understand why Nintendo don't feel the necessity of investing more on them, or recognizing them.
And well, IIRC, Sega basically boycotted them when they were developing the last Shining Force entry because it was for Sega Saturn and not for Dreamcast, so it was a revenge the fact they signed with Nintendo.

At least, Camelot still wants to do RPG games, so well, it's something.
Right now I take everything Sakurai says without showing anything with a grain of salt. He is known for these kinds of ruses, remember when he faked confirming Palutena by showing Pseudo Palutena, but then confirmed her two months later anyway? Or how he cheekily tried to make us think ZSS wasn't coming back? He likes to play with our expectations, because it drives up the hype for his games significantly and makes his role in the industry that much more fun for him. That's why when he says "don't expect too many newcomers this time", I have this nagging feeling that even if the number of new fighters isn't as large as before, it still may be decently large compared to the expectations we as a community have set.
I know some people posted interviews where Sakurai said there wouldn't be a lot of newcomers comparing the preview entry. But I think it's different saying this in a random interview of his native country rather than an important event like the E3 where all the gaming world is watching you. Also, it's not like they didn't do anything during all this time; they returned all of the missing veterans and I read they made significant changes for some characters. Although I don't think it would have 1 or 2 more newcomers (without counting echoes), I think we will have 5 or 6. And if it's a lie and they add more characters than I expect, better for me xD

Also, I don't think you can compare it with the ZSS situation (or even the Palutena one). The first one was an instant-joke (like they did this year with "what is Smash and saying end after a small presentation). The Palutena one, despite being a bit troll, it's not like it deconfirmed the character (although I didn't want to follow the speculation at that time so I don't know how people reacted).

How frequently are they talking? I've been following the twitter account and I was really surprised when a japanese account posted some fanart. Also, did you know if there is some love in the german community? It's impossible to know the UK community (because you can mix it with the USA one), but considering that the France and Spain are aware of the IP, and Germany is a big part of Europe (and the most profitable one), it would be nice kwnowing if there is a similar support there.

Last edited:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
The german page and forum for Golden Sun is somehow active (goldensun-zone.de), my very first time I registered in any forum (glad it was Golden Sun related XD)!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated support list.

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*
  6. Accursed
  7. Adeptmune
  8. Agk0001
  9. AgatioGanon
  10. Aguki90
  11. airConditioner
  12. aldelaro5
  13. alguidrag
  14. Altais
  15. Amberloo
  16. AncientArk
  17. andimidna
  18. Androobie
  19. Apollyon
  20. Aqua Rock X
  21. AquaDork1
  22. AquaSol
  23. Arcadenik
  24. Arteen
  25. Asian_Charizard
  26. Astraltar
  27. Aureola
  28. Aurora Jenny
  29. AustarusIV
  30. AwesomeCauliflower68
  31. Awesomedude444
  32. Backgammon
  33. Balgorxz
  34. BandannaWaddleDee
  35. Bane84
  36. bassem6
  37. Bassoonist
  38. Billybae10k
  39. Bingoshi
  40. Bkupa666
  41. Blackwolf666
  42. Blaziken
  43. BluePikmin11
  44. BoltDragon
  45. BoN~
  46. Bowser-Daimao
  47. BridgesWithTurtles
  48. Browny
  49. Buddy002
  50. Bunny8093
  51. BUnit
  52. Burruni
  53. Calane
  54. CactusBlah
  55. candyissweet
  56. Capita
  57. Cap'nChreest
  58. Captain Toad
  59. CardStealer1
  60. Chapter Serf
  61. CheckmateChuck
  62. CheeseBroJoe
  63. Cheezey Bites
  64. Chromfirmed
  65. ChronoPenguin
  66. ClinkStryphart
  67. CliffJumper
  68. cocy965
  69. Cos.
  70. Coaltergeist
  71. Crap-Zapper
  72. CrossDispatcher
  73. cybersai
  74. Dalek_Kolt
  75. Dendros
  76. Desert Croc
  77. Destroyer713
  78. Dezeray112
  79. Dhragen
  80. Diddy Kong
  81. Dimensionsword64
  82. DivinexRose
  83. DJ3DS
  84. DJBor
  85. D-Man9293
  86. DogManStar
  87. DoodleDuck97
  88. Doncalot
  89. DraginHikari
  90. Drakonis
  91. Dromader
  92. DukeNapoleon
  93. DustyPumpkin
  94. e105beta
  95. Eagle
  96. EclipseSmash
  97. EddyBearr
  98. ED Cantu
  99. Edlocke
  100. egaddmario
  101. ElPanandero
  102. El Syd
  103. EndlessChrom
  104. EndlessRain
  105. EnhaloTricks
  106. ETFruitNinja
  107. ethanrodgers223
  108. Ezequileste
  109. Falgor
  110. Falkoopa
  111. False Sense
  112. FamiconDisk
  113. Felix_the_Slayer
  114. fenyx4
  115. ferioku
  116. Fire Rider
  117. Fire_Voyager
  118. FirstBlade
  119. Flareon
  120. Flintike
  121. fogbadge.
  122. foolssigma
  123. FreddyOnDrugs
  124. Friesnchip
  125. GalacticPetey
  126. Geno Boost
  127. Ghirahilda
  128. GladiusVortex
  129. GM_3826
  130. Golden Icarus
  131. GoodGrief741
  132. Gotann
  133. GraveEclipse567
  134. heylodom
  135. hwrdjacob
  136. iam8bit
  137. Icana
  138. iDazedX_x
  139. Inawordyes
  140. IntelliHeath1
  141. Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
  142. isaac3000
  143. Isaac: Venus Adept
  144. IvanQuote
  145. JaidynReiman
  146. Jak_spoon
  147. Jamurai
  148. JDogindy
  149. JohnnySparkxs
  150. Just a random scrub
  151. jweb22
  152. KCCHIEFS27
  153. KeniththeGatherer
  154. KeybladeSmasher
  155. Kikaru
  156. Kind Dedede
  157. KingCloud
  158. KingShadow
  159. KiraYoshikage
  160. KirbyDragon
  161. Kirbyfan391
  162. Kisae
  163. KMDP
  164. Kokirikory
  165. Koori
  166. Kremling Man
  167. Kumatora
  168. Kycse
  169. Lady Palutena
  170. Lampy
  171. LaniusShrike
  172. LasermasterA
  173. Leafeon523
  174. LeeYawshee
  175. legendofrob1
  176. LemmyKoopa
  177. lightdasher
  178. LightheartedBum
  179. Lightosia
  180. Linq
  181. littl-myth
  182. Liverpool19
  183. Lone (Thirteenth)
  184. Lonodel
  185. Lord-Zero
  186. Lucanic
  187. Lucimar
  188. Ludjinnado
  189. lunarum
  190. Lukingordex
  191. Lurxy
  192. M23-X0
  193. MacSmitty
  194. MagiusNecros
  195. MAGMIS
  196. MainJPW
  197. Malcolm Belmont
  198. MaskO'Gears
  199. Master Rapier
  200. MasterMushroom
  201. Mav485
  202. Mega Bidoof
  203. Mendelsin
  204. MetalMario128
  205. Metocles
  206. Minato Arisato
  207. Mikegamer0608
  208. Mishudo
  209. Monkokaio
  210. MonopolyRubix
  211. MorbidAltruism
  212. Moydow
  213. MrMacBeth
  214. MrToxicVoltage
  215. Mythzotick
  216. mynameisv
  217. MysticKnives
  218. N3ON
  219. Nauzgo
  220. Neo Zero
  221. NessAtc.
  222. Niala
  223. Nimbostratus
  224. Ninjakid41592
  225. Nintendokusou
  226. NitrusVirus
  227. NonSpecificGuy
  228. NoOtherPersona
  229. NoR4U
  230. Octillus
  231. Oddyesy
  232. Oniric Spriter
  233. Oracle_Summon
  234. Organization XIII
  235. otarolgam
  236. Oz37
  237. Pacack
  238. Papagenos
  239. ParanoidDrone
  240. Pcubed007
  241. Pennate
  242. Phaazoid
  243. Pizza Robo
  244. Plain Yogurt
  245. Playcube
  246. PlayfulMushroom
  247. POKEMANSPIKA
  248. Powerman293
  249. PSIguy89
  250. PrinceGal3n
  251. PWN3
  252. R.O.B.
  253. Radical Beam
  254. Radori
  255. Raetah
  256. Raziek
  257. Red Ryu
  258. RegiGygas117
  259. Retro gamer
  260. RhymeswithEmpty
  261. Roger Smith
  262. RosaPeach
  263. Royvolution Ream
  264. Ryan
  265. Ryuutakeshi
  266. Sabrewulf238
  267. Sagittarius
  268. sandfall
  269. SanicJan
  270. Scatmansworld25
  271. Scoliosis Jones
  272. Seb9k+
  273. Secret Sexytime
  274. Seleir
  275. Seoxys
  276. sheik93
  277. Shin F.
  278. Shinhed-echi
  279. Shog
  280. Sidboylol
  281. SirCamp
  282. skaaaa
  283. Skeleton o' Fun
  284. Skyblade12
  285. Skyfox2000
  286. sman3975
  287. Smash_Handle69
  288. SmashBro99
  289. smashkirby
  290. SmashShadow
  291. smashtriforce77
  292. smileMasky
  293. SmilingMad
  294. SMX
  295. Solfiner
  296. someonetookjacob
  297. SonicLink125
  298. SonicSmasher
  299. SorrowOfAcheron
  300. SoulofKhaos
  301. Spatman
  302. Spazzy_D
  303. Speedwagon
  304. Spootondorf
  305. Sqid
  306. SSBFan
  307. Staarih
  308. StaffofSmashing
  309. Strider_Bond00J
  310. StrikeBlade
  311. SuperBrawler
  312. Superfiremario
  313. Supersmash77
  314. Superyoshiom
  315. Swampasaur
  316. Sykin
  317. Takasmash
  318. TCT~Phantom
  319. TeenGirlSquad
  320. TehEpicRyuga
  321. ThatShadowLink
  322. The Curious Volnutt
  323. The One Who Wrote This
  324. Thekewlusername
  325. T-Hell
  326. TheRealHeroOfWinds
  327. TheSeanMan
  328. TheSpaceKing
  329. The Stoopid Unikorn
  330. TheTactician
  331. thethirdkoopa
  332. ThirdDay
  333. ThoughtfulWanderer
  334. ThunderOverload
  335. TimeSmash
  336. Tiyomako
  337. ToothiestAura
  338. True Blue Warrior
  339. Turmalinium
  340. UltimateWario
  341. Ultinarok
  342. Vann Accessible
  343. Vegito2727
  344. Venus of the Desert Bloom
  345. Vintage Creep
  346. Violenceman
  347. walph
  348. Warheart_666
  349. Wigglytuff ★
  350. Wintropy
  351. WhiteEaglePL
  352. Xelion
  353. Xenigma
  354. XeVioN
  355. Xiivi
  356. xLemmy_KoopaX
  357. XTremeGamer1234
  358. XxLtxX
  359. YellowLord
  360. YoshiandToad
  361. Young Horsetail
  362. Your Hero
  363. zagman505
  364. zaiman12345
  365. Zandro
  366. ZanZero
  367. ZarroTsu
  368. ZeldaMaster
  369. ZestyÑ
  370. Zulyar
  371. Zuppo

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You'd be alternating between 2 and 3 characters a month. Definitely not happening when we don't even know if we'll get even one a month. However, we could have a few secret characters hidden away at launch that could inflate the totals. It's been tradition after all.

I could see there being around 8-10 more characters that have yet to be shown. I don't think it'll be as drastic a decrease as some people believe.
Not that I think it would happen but can you imagine if Sakurai set it up so a character arrived for free on day one as part of an update without announcing it? (and it still has to be unlocked)

Somehow it feels like a Sakurai thing to do....

Either way, with the emphasis on unlocking characters this time around it really wouldn't surprise me if a handful of newcomers were kept a secret post launch.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Wow! Feels like forever since I ever posted in an Isaac forum here, let alone SmashBoards. Great to be back and more hopeful than ever for our Golden Boy to get in Smash as a fighter!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Speaking of this, I feel like most people are overlooking the chances of unrepped IPs. I mean if you look at Smash 4s newcomers, if you count the Miis as one character and you exclude the clones, you have 2 third parties (:ultmegaman::ultpacman:) , 5 characters from pre-existing series (:ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin:ultbowserjr:) and 6 characters from previously unrepped Nintendo series (:ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultduckhunt:). And while they could have easily added other popular and relevant characters like Ridley, Bandana Dee, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ashley, Impa, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, etc., etc. They instead chose to have the majority of the Nintendo newcomers be completely new faces from both new and old franchises.

Then, I consider how in the E3 presentation, he made a specific point regarding how this is the biggest crossover in gaming history. Really emphasizing the fact that there a lot of games represented here.

So, if Sakurai is looking at the ballot and he sees characters like Isaac, Waddle Dee, Ashley, and Geno all ranked similarly, I feel like there is a very good chance that he would opt for the completely new face.

And as far as other franchises that he might look into for a new character, I do think Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Sin & Punishment, Custom Robo, Dillon’s Rolling Western, and ARMS all stand out. But I am confident that, aside from Inkling, Isaac would’ve easily performed best in the ballot. Especially considering Rhythm Heaven’s lack of a main character, and ARMS being well past the prime time.
I’m with you, representing new franchises has always been important for Smash.

Also, and this is something really personal, but all of the newcomers from already represented franchises in Smash 4 were huge letdowns for me in different ways (barring Jr). It was a contrast from Brawl, where we got a lot of obvious, should-have-been-there-already picks. So I hope this time around they go for broke with the new kids (of course, taking into account fan demand for picks like Ashley, Dee, Toad/Geno, and a certain kroc).

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’m with you, representing new franchises has always been important for Smash.

Also, and this is something really personal, but all of the newcomers from already represented franchises in Smash 4 were huge letdowns for me in different ways (barring Jr). It was a contrast from Brawl, where we got a lot of obvious, should-have-been-there-already picks. So I hope this time around they go for broke with the new kids (of course, taking into account fan demand for picks like Ashley, Dee, Toad/Geno, and a certain kroc).
I actually feel similarly. I mean I had a ton of fun playing as all the newcomers. In fact, Bowser Jr. was my favorite to play as. But even then, I still find Little Mac, Shulk, and Villager to be far more interesting and worth while in the end.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

The thing I realized with the a lot of people’s roster predictions is that there aren’t a lot of characters from new franchises being added. However, although I do think that some of the characters will be from pre existing franchises (Xenoblade, Pokemon, Donkey King) I still think that when Sakurai is looking at the ballot he will most certainly also be looking for characters from new franchises.

Albeit, I think it’s possible he might be adding dormant franchises this time as well because there weren’t a lot of new IPS made between the short time span in 2015-2016.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Comic of the day!, we move onto the next artist!

WHO ARE YOU CALLING SO SMALL THAT HE ONLY DOES 1 POINT OF DAMAGE IN A FIGHT?!

D

Deleted member

These are really cool, even though my knowledge of the series is scarce I enjoy these comics.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea, Sakurai is a troll as well.

In my opinion, when he says there won't be many newcomers, he defines newcomers as fresh characters with completely new movesets and everything. This doesn't include the new concept of Echo Fighters which they recently introduced. Daisy, Lucina and Dark Pit won't be the only Echo fighters and probably some newcomers will be Echoes of pre-existing fighters. It will fill out the roster and add "newcomers".

Obviously Isaac would be a fresh new fighter, but we could get Matthew/Felix as an Echo as a dual release since it wouldn't really be too much work if they add our Golden Boy anyway.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Man getting 2 Golden Sun characters after losing stuff in 4 would be a freaking dream even if Felix or Matthew were just glorified skins. I would love Felix to be an echo and Matthew to just be an actual alt though. That way we get all 3 protags and I can then have the horrible decision of whether to play as Isaac or Felix first. The only time torture would be a good thing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd also love to have the older version of Isaac as an alt.

Now we can't have older Isaac for real since they're radically different heights, but I'd love a costume where Isaac gets a miniature version of his older self's clothing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it'll be interesting to see which design primarily informs K. Rool's appearance in Smash. Given both he and Isaac haven't been seen in many years, and the last time neither had their most iconic aesthetic, it may be useful to gauge how Isaac gets implemented. Whether they go for the Rare-era dark green and gold (as the costume would seem to imply) or the post-Rare lighter green and yellow-ish.

Frankly I can't imagine they don't go with Isaac's GS1/GS2 look, but them updating it slightly, or incorporating elements from adult Isaac or Matthew... that I could also see. I mean Ridley does seem to be a more original design, though harkening back to his older appearances over his newer.

And fwiw, Inkling does take from Splatoon 1 over Splatoon 2, though in addition to being the more iconic look, that's likely also due to timing, given the general lack of Splatoon 2 content.

As for clones, personally I don't even think that far ahead. I'm not going to start asking for seconds while I'm starving over here. :laugh:

Top Bottom