• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ideally, we'd get two characters (I'm pulling for Isaac and Jenna, she has probably the best unique Psynergies in the series). But it won't happen.

Yet.

Once we get Isaac and Golden Sun blows up the way Xenoblade did? Maybe.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it'll be interesting to see which design primarily informs K. Rool's appearance in Smash. Given both he and Isaac haven't been seen in many years, and the last time neither had their most iconic aesthetic, it may be useful to gauge how Isaac gets implemented. Whether they go for the Rare-era dark green and gold (as the costume would seem to imply) or the post-Rare lighter green and yellow-ish.

Frankly I can't imagine they don't go with Isaac's GS1/GS2 look, but them updating it slightly, or incorporating elements from adult Isaac or Matthew... that I could also see. I mean Ridley does seem to be a more original design, though harkening back to his older appearances over his newer.

And fwiw, Inkling does take from Splatoon 1 over Splatoon 2, though in addition to being the more iconic look, that's likely also due to timing, given the general lack of Splatoon 2 content.

As for clones, personally I don't even think that far ahead. I'm not going to start asking for seconds while I'm starving over here. :laugh:
I have a feeling K. Rool is gonna be basically a copy paste of the costume with better textures. Why else bother to create that design then just completely disregard it next time?

Plus you can look at characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and even Ridley for the most part and see a focus on classic designs.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ideally, we'd get two characters (I'm pulling for Isaac and Jenna, she has probably the best unique Psynergies in the series). But it won't happen.

Yet.

Hoo boy, I'd kill for Jenna to be in the game. Though I also remember making a moveset for Ivan eons back.

Honestly though, if GS making it means new playables from that series, that'd be the best thing ever I can imagine as a fan.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it'll be interesting to see which design primarily informs K. Rool's appearance in Smash. Given both he and Isaac haven't been seen in many years, and the last time neither had their most iconic aesthetic, it may be useful to gauge how Isaac gets implemented. Whether they go for the Rare-era dark green and gold (as the costume would seem to imply) or the post-Rare lighter green and yellow-ish.

Frankly I can't imagine they don't go with Isaac's GS1/GS2 look, but them updating it slightly, or incorporating elements from adult Isaac or Matthew... that I could also see. I mean Ridley does seem to be a more original design, though harkening back to his older appearances over his newer.

And fwiw, Inkling does take from Splatoon 1 over Splatoon 2, though in addition to being the more iconic look, that's likely also due to timing, given the general lack of Splatoon 2 content.

As for clones, personally I don't even think that far ahead. I'm not going to start asking for seconds while I'm starving over here. :laugh:
It's hard to say, we don't have any example of Camelot giving a character as a fighter, like we know Intelligent System was okay with Roy getting a new design.

Wè have to wait and see.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think the most likely outcome is that we get Isaac, a stage (some new music tracks, probably as many as punch out got) and Felix as an assist. (plus a handful of regular trophies/stickers)

I'm not convinced we'd even get a Matthew alt. Though I wouldn't be shocked if we did either.

In a way I'd kinda like to see stickers return because we'd probably get Golden Sun content that we otherwise wouldn't get. (like getting stickers of party members artwork vs not getting them as trophies because making all those models would be too much work with little payoff.

Unless they did a rayman and had camelot make models of the characters they wanted trophies of. (and then *cough*reuse them for a Golden Sun remaster*cough*)

Assuming we get Isaac as playable.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Isaac the only cut Assist Trophy from Brawl to not even have a trophy to represent the GS series in Smash 4? That always made me think he was saved to be a new fighter with his own trophy stance.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Isaac the only cut Assist Trophy from Brawl to not even have a trophy to represent the GS series in Smash 4? That always made me think he was saved to be a new fighter with his own trophy stance.
So did we...

sad laughter

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nope, there were other cuts.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Having juste Isaac would be the perfect dream from anybody here i suppose xD Felix could be an echo of Isaac, and both Isaac and Felix would have their allies swap colors.

Isaac would have Garet, Ivan and Mia and Felix would have Jenna, Sheba, and Piers.

Then they can possibly add Saturos's and Menardi's colors for Isaac and Karstine's and Agatio's for Felix too. And why not for the last swap since every character has 8 swaps. Feizhi for Isaac and Takeru for Felix.

Yeah i'm dreaming but i think that would be cool xD

And regarding to musics which ones do you think will fit better if we get a GS stage?

Personally i would go with, GS1 and 2 Battle Themes, Saturos Battle Theme, Elemental Stars, Venus Lighthouse, The track used in Brawl, Marching forward with determination ^^

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea, our primary goal is Isaac but might as well consider the absolute BEST case scenario in which we get an alt along Isaac :D No I'm not counting the mad scenario where we also get a separate game called Super Smash Golden Sun Brothers

And regarding to musics which ones do you think will fit better if we get a GS stage?

Personally i would go with, GS1 and 2 Battle Themes, Saturos Battle Theme, Elemental Stars, Venus Lighthouse, The track used in Brawl, Marching forward with determination ^^
I have a soft spot for Jenna's theme but that wouldn't be possible without her and Elemental Stars is TOO peaceful for Smash. If I had to pick, I'd pick either Saturos Battle Theme, Venus Lighthouse or Isaac's tune himself. Marching Forward with Determination is also a nice pick.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Yea, our primary goal is Isaac but might as well consider the absolute BEST case scenario in which we get an alt along Isaac :D No I'm not counting the mad scenario where we also get a separate game called Super Smash Golden Sun Brothers

I have a soft spot for Jenna's theme but that wouldn't be possible without her and Elemental Stars is TOO peaceful for Smash. If I had to pick, I'd pick either Saturos Battle Theme, Venus Lighthouse or Isaac's tune himself. Marching Forward with Determination is also a nice pick.
That would be a nice game! I dreamed once of a Golden Sun Musou. Man that was so damn epic <3

Hmm and what about Lumiose City? xD Isn't this song just TOO peaceful too for Smash? xD

D

Deleted member

Isaac, has a ton if potential of moves with his Venus, adept, psyenergy abilities, move, spire, quake, retreat plus sword attacks. Hopefully Sakurai knows, and sees his potential.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Funnily enough most of the cut ATs were the sole representative of their series (Ray Mk, Helirin, Jill), and Barbara was the only one to come back as a trophy.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I feel like Isaac should use his sword the least since he's been known to use Weapon Howls, Psynergy, Djinn, Summons, Items, etc. more than he ever swings his equipped weapon. His neutral attack+barrage NEEDS to be Psynergy Pound/Force. That would be great to see!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I feel like Isaac should use his sword the least since he's been known to use Weapon Howls, Psynergy, Djinn, Summons, Items, etc. more than he ever swings his equipped weapon. His neutral attack+barrage NEEDS to be Psynergy Pound/Force. That would be great to see!
The way I would do it is basic attacks are sword attacks and Smash attacks are sword attacks that do weapon unleashes

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
How frequently are they talking? I've been following the twitter account and I was really surprised when a japanese account posted some fanart. Also, did you know if there is some love in the german community? It's impossible to know the UK community (because you can mix it with the USA one), but considering that the France and Spain are aware of the IP, and Germany is a big part of Europe (and the most profitable one), it would be nice kwnowing if there is a similar support there.
I'll watch for how frequently Japanese fans post things, but even today, news things were posted! :D
I'll also try to see if I can find something from German fans on Twitter. ;)

On a completely different topic, the new artist for the comics has a style that seems heavily influenced by Toriyama. Especially the eyes.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So if we did get Isaac in Smash and as a result Golden Sun as a franchise got revived (yes, yes super wishful thinking lol), how would you like to see that happen?

Would you prefer to see Golden Sun return mostly as it was originally on the GBA? Perhaps as a sort of modern retro inspired game like Octopath?

Or would you like it to take an open world route like BotW?

Or perhaps somewhere in between?

On the one hand, if this were to happen I think GS would need to have its own niche as far as first party games go and a BotW esque game would probably be too similar to well BotW (considering the many zelda esque elements the games already possess) and also Xenoblade. So I would expect a game that's more retro inspired.

However I do have to say, despite how cliche it is at this point, that a more open world Golden Sun game is super appealing to me. It could work quite well I think, unlike some of the other games people want to take that route, largely because of the similarities the series has with Zelda to begin with. And the thing that really gets me is how well a world like that would work in terms of exploration when you have Djinn laying around in various places as incentive to explore. Perhaps that would be too tedious for most people though, so who knows.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Open world could work, but they would need to establish the series firmly first imo

Right now we have a plot thread dangling, open world might complicate that

Last edited:

Eagle

Smash Lord
Maybe something like Nino Kuni? I only played that game for an hour or so but the art style/combat/overworld would fit I think.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd probably choose something like Octopath for the sake of variety since there are quite a few open-world games these days (even though I enjoy them), but likelihood wise it's no question Octopath style considering the disparity of budget between the two.

It's pretty disheartening that Nintendo presumably doesn't seem fit to invest in a JRPG like Golden Sun when other, smaller companies are usually willing to push out niche titles with the budget made in mind to reflect that. I mean the Shining series is getting a new release thanks to Sega, and that was Camelot's original baby.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Haven't posted in here in ages, but seeing Isaac in Smash is still sort of a dream of mine. Just imagining GS music and a stage in Smash is amazing.

Anywho, still supporting! Isaac's AT is nowhere to be seen, right? :laugh:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The safest way to brink back the series at this point is to remake the first two GBA games and repackage them into one game like it was originally intended for the N64. The Octopath aesthetic would be an amazing fit for Golden Sun but seeing how the world map looks in Mario Tennis Aces, I think Camelot's style is a more tradition 3D approach, but who knows:ohwell:. Although the Takahashi Brothers did say that Dark Dawn was an entry for a new age in the saga so they may continue that story so if they go that route I hope they mostly improve on Dark Dawn's shortcomings.

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't mind Older Isaac, as one of Isaac's alternate costumes for sure.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
Your struck-through text describes exactly what I think an excellent fan game would be. There are tons of great possibilities for stages, and given sixteen adepts from the player's parties, together with the six main villains and possibly minor characters that the player has engaged in combat, that game could be quite something. Back when Golden Sun Realm still had its forum, I know there was one member who was, or who knew of someone who was, working on a 2D, sprite-based Golden Sun Smash Bros.-esque game. Not sure if that went anywhere, though. I suppose if it had, we'd have heard more about it.

Whenever I brought up my dream of such a game becoming a reality (might have been on this forum, might have been there -- I really don't remember), people would talk about the adepts not being able to have different enough movesets, that it would be a roster full of clones. Pfft. It really needn't be at all. There's plenty to differentiate Isaac and Felix, and even if Matthew had the same moves as either of them, they would be Dark Dawn's versions. The other characters are all different enough, too. After all, it's not like a single adept could use all of his/her Psynergy in a Smash-like game -- there's just too much! Then there are also very different weapon unleashes and different attack/defense/weight, etc. stats. And, though it would make things much more complex, a class-changing system could further diversify movesets. There's a ton to work with to make each character unique.

Anyone know of any GS fans who develop games as a hobby?

Icana

Smash Apprentice

Yet.

Oh man, I shipped Isaac and Jenna together hard back in the day. Imagine my excitement eight years later when Valeshipping was confirmed via Dark Dawn. Unfortunately, we never get to see Mommy Jenna in Dark Dawn. Only Daddy Isaac. :(

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Oh man, I shipped Isaac and Jenna together hard back in the day. Imagine my excitement eight years later when Valeshipping was confirmed via Dark Dawn. Unfortunately, we never get to see Mommy Jenna in Dark Dawn. Only Daddy Isaac. :(
Which is a right shame. I wanted to see the two interact as a married couple... and of course, we didn't even get to see what Jenna of 30 years later would look like. I've seen one fan interpretation of it and that's it.

B00M

Smash Rookie

Yet.

This is my dream scenario too. In addition to Isaac (and Banjo-Kazooie, Bomberman & Knuckles...), I did enter a vote for Jenna during the ballot. Not holding my breath, but I'd love to see her in the game in some form.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I gave out three votes from three computers from three homes during the Ballot. Snake, K. Rool, and Isaac. I really hope his lack of an Assist Trophy yet is a good sign. I just hope it won’t be another Smash 4 Isaac no where in sight type deal.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
To be honest, I kinda regret not putting in more votes from different IP addresses for Isaac. Not that a few measly extra votes would make a difference but maybe I'd feel a little more content knowing I did my part.

Not knowing where Isaac stands on that ballot is killing me. I don't know if I'm underrating or overrating his popularity.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I voted for all my favorites once. I didn't vote for a single character multiple times. I love Isaac but I don't want him to get in through cheating. I know it seems silly when a lot of people probably vote 2000+ times for their favorites but I just don't roll that way.

B00M

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating not knowing the actual ballot results - hoping Isaac fared as well as the available polling seems to indicate. Beyond just picking a character the ballot did give voters a chance to make a case for why they should be added though, and with the limitless moveset potential of Golden Sun characters I imagine that would work in our favor.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I only voted for Isaac in the ballot. I think I was too paranoid that it would only count my most recent vote if I was voting on the same IP.

Also, there were 1.8 million votes right? So it's probably unlikely that multiple votes were counted per IP.

I did get my friend in real life to vote for Isaac however. Even though he barely knows anything about gaming let alone Nintendo or Golden Sun.

I can't remember but I think I typed out an argument for him to submit as well. It was serious business. :p

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
You can add me to the supporter list. I love the Golden Games (well, the first two games, Dark Dawn was whatever). The Lost Age is one of my favorite games of all time.

It'd be cool to see Isaac make it into Smash, and for Golden Sun to be a thing again with Nintendo.

Man I still remember back in the Brawl days when I went on the Dojo website, saw a picture of Isaac, only to be greeted by the words "assist trophy" right after. :(

Top Bottom