• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
I have no fear, a long as we have no confirmation of all the characters, I'l believe in tweet Senpai.

Isaac is on the best position in my opinion right now. That tweet is the only serious thing we have from daddy Sakurai who is super carefull whit what he post.
+ whit trademark and Dark Dawn website update.
I mean that tweet is a pretty damn good response from the creator. I really think there isn't much to be afraid of. And even if its just a nice gesture, it's cool to see Sakarai san acknowledge it at all. So that alone is good enough for me.

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Honestly it seems like most of the smash community has been negative, definitely not just our thread

It's fine though we'll be back to normal in a couple days, no worries

Last edited:

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
The next Direct's probably going to be in early October, right?

Will it be a Smash direct, a Pokémon direct, or a standard Nintendo direct?

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Another reason to be optimistic setting smash aside, is the sudden influx of interest in our boy. I mean the fact people are talking about him and even starting to notice is a sign that with enough fan advertisement and exposure we could have a real impact without smash.

I mean having Isaac in smash would be better, but that's a good start in my eyes.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Yeah that box is a bunch of nothing. Call me overly optimistic, but I would be genuinely shocked if we only had two more newcomers. Among characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Incineroar, Elma, Banjo, Bandana Dee, Rhythm Heaven, a potential retro and/or wtf, there has to be at least one or two more unique characters. That’s not even mentioning the load of potential echoes/semi-clones. Shadow, Ken, Dixie Kong, Felix, Impa, Octoling, etc.

On top of that, and I know we shouldn’t put too much stock into leaks, but Vergeben seems very sure about Ken, as well as some sort of Pokémon and Square Enix character. That’s already three characters leaked by the big man himself. And so far we’ve gotten every character he’s thrown out, and then some. We have very good reason to take his word seriously.

Not to mention, Sakurai is spoiler-free as **** this game. Not a chance he would just throw something as obvious as this out there like that. Normally I’m open minded about these possibilities, but I’d bet money that this boxart theory is meaningless.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The next Direct's probably going to be in early October, right?

Will it be a Smash direct, a Pokémon direct, or a standard Nintendo direct?
All that's guaranteed in my eyes is a November Smash direct. Some have speculated there may not be enough time to talk about all the various newcomers+ movesets, modes, mechanics, and stages if there are any left. So, perhaps there will be a Smash mini-direct for October as well, but I believe that month will either have a simple trailer stream or nothing at all.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I've had a thought.

What if every single leaker who said that Isabelle was an echo...was just guessing based on how similar she is to villager?

The main differece i see between clones and echoes, is both property differences and some new moves.

While most of Isabelle's moves are made specifically for her. They are variations on villagers moves. The only REAL unique she has is the fishing rod.

I might have little evidence, as it's just an assumption.

But perhaps all of the insiders couldn't tell a difference between a clone and an echo.

Heck, the SMASH community has trouble distinguishing an echo from a clone. (I.e. Doc Mario)

So maybe all the insiders who said she was an echo was a misinterpretation?

Heck, going by this. Verge couldn't tell if she was an echo or not.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
And whatever happens our support right now is not in vain. Yes it won't change a pre established roster by the time of release but DLC and next smash games are still a thing.
This x 1000.

We really have to be in a positive mindset because, if Isaac isn't in the base roster, his support musn't lose steam as DLC is released and even further, when the next game is developed.

Given the amount of missing posts I'm still inclined to think there may have been another reveal that got shifted out due to bad timing that'll get revealed later. But if this is correct, it does mean no Felix Echo.
This is more or less what I was thinking.

Isabelle didn't have anything other than her character reveal to fill in the missing posts, did she?

Could the Animal Crossing Wii U and Isabelle reveal been planned for the beginning of the Direct, and an Isaac (with "sensitive material) reveal at the end as the "one more thing"?

Seems crazy, but there must be some kind of explanation for the still missing posts.

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
How would people feel if we had some sort of prequel to the first games like the origin of sol sanctum and the elemental stars and the establishment of the adept clans. I feel that would be a pretty awesome story.
Yeah that box is a bunch of nothing. Call me overly optimistic, but I would be genuinely shocked if we only had two more newcomers. Among characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, Incineroar, Elma, Banjo, Bandana Dee, Rhythm Heaven, a potential retro and/or wtf, there has to be at least one or two more unique characters. That’s not even mentioning the load of potential echoes/semi-clones. Shadow, Ken, Dixie Kong, Felix, Impa, Octoling, etc.

On top of that, and I know we shouldn’t put too much stock into leaks, but Vergeben seems very sure about Ken, as well as some sort of Pokémon and Square Enix character. That’s already three characters leaked by the big man himself. And so far we’ve gotten every character he’s thrown out, and then some. We have very good reason to take his word seriously.

Not to mention, Sakurai is spoiler-free as **** this game. Not a chance he would just throw something as obvious as this out there like that. Normally I’m open minded about these possibilities, but I’d bet money that this boxart theory is meaningless.
Don't even get me started on the potential echos. I mean we could get Zack Fair, Akuma, King Hippo, Doc Louise, Funky Kong, Ninten, Tails, Louie, Mrs Pac Man, Medusa, Peppy, Slippy, Panther Coroso, and Ralph from Zelda (Personal pipe dream of mine. He could be and echo of Link, but has less than a zero percent chance.) . Take your pick most of these characters could just be carbon copies and people would be happy.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
ninty put the results up somewhere? and if he did so well where's his costume then? nowhere! he'll either be in the last AT roundup in the smash direct or he'll be nothing.
I doubt Isaac having a Mii costume would make some feel any more confident. In fact I think instead we'd spend a few hundred pages going back and forth arguing how Isaac would just be one of the Mii costumes who were an assist waiting to be decomfirmed like Ashley, Takamaru, Zero, and Knuckles have proven so far. I mean even the ballot and Isaac's popularity gets thrown into question every now and then, and that's pretty much what we're banking on in the first place lol.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As long as Isaac is not hit with the Assist Trophy bat, there can still be hope for DLC. Heck, for all we know, Isaac could potentially be released as DLC simultaneously with that rumored Golden Sun remake.

Do not be angry at Sakurai or his team if there are only two more fighters left. They did an incredible job.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm supporting Isaac hard core and did so during the ballot, Smash 4, and Brawl. The base roster for Ultimate is literally the best chance he has ever had and if he doesn't make it I'm done. Seriously if his ballot performance wasn't notable enough for base there's no shot for DLC. We luckily have a great shot for base but otherwise there's no hope.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
We're now thinking two fighters left, when we lack a WTF pick, the expected hype reveal at the end, AND a Pokemon!?

What on Earth happened to this thread!??

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
We're now thinking two fighters left, when we lack a WTF pick, the expected hype reveal at the end, AND a Pokemon!?

What on Earth happened to this thread!??
Hey. You're a bit late.

The box means nothing. It's just marketing team just assuming a number.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm supporting Isaac hard core and did so during the ballot, Smash 4, and Brawl. The base roster for Ultimate is literally the best chance he has ever had and if he doesn't make it I'm done. Seriously if his ballot performance wasn't notable enough for base there's no shot for DLC. We luckily have a great shot for base but otherwise there's no hope.
Might I remind you just how bleak things looked for Roy when Smash 4 was released. Most people said there was absolutely no chance he was going to be DLC when Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers needed to come back, and that there was already four playable Fire Emblem characters with one of them being a Marth clone as well (Lucina).

The fight goes on even if Isaac were to be an Assist Trophy.

Rafuki21

Smash Rookie
Are you already talking about DLC? Please, there are still three months left, the base rooster is not over, and I refuse to believe that only 2 or 3 characters remain. In August they announced 5 in a single Direct, I'm sure there will be much more than we expect. And we have a lot of hintsfor Isaac, with Rathalos' tweet being the most obvious. Up that hope! Isaac will be there! I'm sure!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Might I remind you just how bleak things looked for Roy when Smash 4 was released. Most people said there was absolutely no chance he was going to be DLC when Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers needed to come back, and that there was already four playable Fire Emblem characters with one of them being a Marth clone as well (Lucina).

But unlike Smash 4. We have the ballot.

If shovel knight can become an assist trophy, despite having a loud fanbase, then where the hell is isaac? Who has probably an even louder fanbase?

If he truly wasnt *that* high in polls, wouldn't he have been deconfirmed by now? (Hypothetically speaking, I mean.)

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Sakurai has mentioned that time and time again, adding new characters is a process of multiplication and not simple addition. Heck, he's even said that stage design is a complicated process. There's a lot they went to the trouble for the sake of the fans. Characters, stages, balancing, veteran changes, nosses, modes, and mechanics. It's easy to believe that not everything could be made in time for launch, and I believe that the December 7th date was Nintendo forcing their hand to fill in the gap of a dry holiday season with a heavy hitter.

Seriously, not being in the base game is not a killer. Only an AT appearance is. There's a good chance they had more planned for Ultimate that they had to set aside for a few months. Don't lose hope just because Isaac wouldn't immediately be in. I personally would have a lot of confidence in Isaac DLC if he was mysteriously absent again.

If Shovel Knight got something thanks to the ballot, then it'd be suspicious to see that Isaac wouldn't get even the return of his AT. That's why I'd be confident.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Ahh...I'm so salty about not having Isaac revealed yesterday. Y'all we're gonna be waiting even longer ;-;

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

If he's an AT I'll continue because at least he got something. If he gets nothing our voice made no difference. As for Roy having too many FE characters was a fan thing plus he was one of the most wanted vets to return and the ICs were impossible.

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice

That is a good point, but Roy was more likely because he was a fighter before. And sadly being an assist trophy doesn't quite have the same stock.

But lets not loose our resolve. I still think Isaac was taken out as an assist trophy because he was planned for smash 4, but was just more complicated to implement. Sakarai san may occasionally not put as much effort into a character "Cough Cough Gannondorf!" However if you look at characters like Duck Hunt, and Megaman, he really tries to stay as authentic to a character as he can.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I would be..."fine" with an AT; while it's not perfect, it shows we really made a difference and that Isaac at least lives on.

The last thing I want is another Smash 4 situation where we hold out hope until the very end, just to get absolutely crushed.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Seriously, not being in the base game is not a killer. Only an AT appearance is. There's a good chance they had more planned for Ultimate that they had to set aside for a few months. Don't lose hope just because Isaac wouldn't immediately be in. I personally would have a lot of confidence in Isaac DLC if he was mysteriously absent again.
You have it backwards him not even getting an AT is a complete death sentence. We fought as hard as we could and for nothing in return. Or votes weren't enough, our voices weren't loud enough. We lose. Andy even worse we have recent heavy hitters like Springman and Rex to contend with for DLC. You want to waste your time fighting for Isaac as DLC be my guest but as of now there is 0 reason to believe we stand any chance in that arena.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
That is a good point, but Roy was more likely because he was a fighter before. And sadly being an assist trophy doesn't quite have the same stock.

But lets not loose our resolve. I still think Isaac was taken out as an assist trophy because he was planned for smash 4, but was just more complicated to implement, Sakarai san may occasionally not put as much effort into a character "Cough Cough Gannondorf!" However if you look at characters like Duck Hunt, and Megaman, he really tries to stay as authentic to a character as he can.
Honestly. I don't think he'd be THAT complicated as a fighter.

I suppose finding the perfect moveset for him would be hard. But not impossible.

I have 2 possible theories.

1. They had to cut out his AT because of the 3DS cart's memory space.
2. They planned him early on, but cut him out. (This doesn't have much ground, as Gematsu doesn't mention him.)

Cutting content like Isaac out, but keeping Saki still leaves me scratching my head. But if sakurai can make it up with Isaac being a fighter in base, I can forgive him and Nintendo for lack of any GS content.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If he's an AT I'll continue because at least he got something. If he gets nothing our voice made no difference. As for Roy having too many FE characters was a fan thing plus he was one of the most wanted vets to return and the ICs were impossible.
At the time, the conventional wisdom was that Roy had no chance. Heck, I petitioned for Roy to be part of some DLC alliance group (it consisted of K. Rool, Isaac, cut Brawl veterans), and they turned down adding Roy to it because they saw Roy's prospects as hopeless. Only the Roy fans continued to press on in regards to Roy being DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You have it backwards him not even getting an AT is a complete death sentence. We fought as hard as we could and for nothing in return. Or votes weren't enough, our voices weren't loud enough. We lose. Andy even worse we have recent heavy hitters like Springman and Rex to contend with for DLC. You want to waste your time fighting for Isaac as DLC be my guest but as of now there is 0 reason to believe we stand any chance in that arena.
Isaac ain't gonna lose as long as his trademark gets renewed. Ray doesn't even have that now...

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I would be..."fine" with an AT; while it's not perfect, it shows we really made a difference and that Isaac at least lives on.

The last thing I want is another Smash 4 situation where we hold out hope until the very end, just to get absolutely crushed.
I don’t know, man. Personally, I think I’d actually prefer him be completely absent. Because I have a good feeling that Ultimate is gonna live one for a long time, and I have a good feeling that Isaac would have a very strong push for DLC, while I don’t know if he would have the same push as an assist trophy. While I do want him to live on, I want him to be “available” so to speak while they’re deciding DLC.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
At the time, the conventional wisdom was that Roy had no chance. Heck, I petitioned for Roy to be part of some DLC alliance group (it consisted of K. Rool, Isaac, cut Brawl veterans), and they turned down adding Roy to it because they saw Roy's prospects as hopeless. Only the Roy fans continued to press on in regards to Roy being DLC.
I'm sorry that happened but they were being stupid so I don't know what you want me to do about it but it's completely different from Isaac's current situation

Isaac ain't gonna lose as long as his trademark gets renewed. Ray doesn't even have that now...
If he's not on base that renewal better be for a new GS game or a remaster otherwise he's still not going to be DLC.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I mean, you guys can go pushing for DLC.

I have my own **** to do. lol

Last edited:

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Honestly. I don't think he'd be THAT complicated as a fighter.

I suppose finding the perfect moveset for him would be hard. But not impossible.

I have 2 possible theories.

1. They had to cut out his AT because of the 3DS cart's memory space.
2. They planned him early on, but cut him out. (This doesn't have much ground, as Gematsu doesn't mention him.)

Cutting content like Isaac out, but keeping Saki still leaves me scratching my head. But if sakurai can make it up with Isaac being a fighter in base, I can forgive him and Nintendo for lack of any GS content.
I did mention a pretty complicated move set idea earlier in the thread, but I mean I still would be satisfied if his basic earth psynergy and sword was the only thing we got from his game. I just feel with how long the wait has been Sakarai will hopefully do this character more justice considering he has more magic potential than pretty much everyone on the roster excluding the deity characters such as Palutena Ganon and a couple of Pokemon. (Might I reiterate again... poor Ganon, but at least you have your sword now.:sadeyes:)

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I did mention a pretty complicated move set idea earlier in the thread, but I mean I still would be satisfied if his basic earth psynergy and sword was the only thing we got from his game. I just feel with how long the wait has been Sakarai will hopefully do this character more justice considering he has more magic potential than pretty much everyone on the roster excluding the deity characters such as Palutena Ganon and a couple of Pokemon. (Might I reiterate again... poor Ganon, but at least you have your sword now.:sadeyes:)
Ganon will always be a Captain Falcon clone. (And I thought black shadow would be CF's first clone.)

But basic earth-bending and his psynergy would be good. Certainly wouldn't be as complicated to make than going with the more complicated idea.

Aw man don’t remind me. Custom Robo is so good...I miss it so much.

Just got CR:A. It has dank af music.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
To that I have to say, yes. I'd be very upset. At least for myself, because I'm not a big RPG fan. My takeaway from this is that I get to play a cool swordsman protagonist that uses elemental magic, who is also an extremely deserving candidate. I mean no disrespect to Golden Sun fans for saying this. But RPGs are just not my thing honestly. I just want to support cool and deserving characters who can potentially be great additions to Smash.

On the reverse side of things though. Yeah. I'd be happy for my friends who like Golden Sun. I'd be more than happy to buy a friend a copy if it ever released another sequel. The support I have for the character extends out mostly to the fact I have nostalgia of friends who loved this series. So by extension I want to see it succeed.
Late to reply to this because this thread goes fast. Lol

Funny you say that. I, myself, am not an RPG guy either. While I'm familiar with FF7's story and actually liked Avent Children, I could never play them. In fact every time I try an JRPG, I get bored of it easily or the "grind" just turns me off. Even Octopath, while good, didn't really capture me. All it did for me was think, "Man, I wish I was playing Golden Sun instead.". And that's what made me realize how much I LOVE Golden Sun despite being an JRPG. It's straightforward, no bull****, lore inducing, puzzle solving fun, Pokemon-like capturing (Djinn), a simple but great (and complex optionally) battle system, lovable characters, elements at your control (Earth, Fire, Wind, Water), epic summons, weapon unleashes, exploration, and on and on!

No JRPG has EVER got my interest like Golden Sun did and I am SO glad I was able to experience just a wonderful series. And I will NEVER give up on this series NOR Isaac getting into Smash. So, until the game comes out or Sakurai says they will never add Isaac in, I will believe he has a huge chance to get in!

Zalaresh

Smash Apprentice
Ganon will always be a Captain Falcon clone. (And I thought black shadow would be CF's first clone.)

But basic earth-bending and his psynergy would be good. Certainly wouldn't be as complicated to make than going with the more complicated idea.

Just got CR:A. It has dank af music.
I suppose you are right about that, and I'd be totally satisfied. But I still hold out hope we could get something pretty awesome for our earth bending hero.

Last edited:

Sordim522

Smash Cadet
I mean, you guys can go pushing for DLC.

I have my own **** to do. lol
I’m pretty new to this site and I don’t want to start something, but if you’re just going to be negative with every post, why are you still here? I think the vast majority of people like this thread because it’s a positive place for people to talk about GS and hope for some representation in Smash. I really don’t think anyone has the right to take that away from others. If this is out of line I apologize but your posts since the direct have been cringe-worthy.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I’m pretty new to this site and I don’t want to start something, but if you’re just going to be negative with every post, why are you still here? I think the vast majority of people like this thread because it’s a positive place for people to talk about GS and hope for some representation in Smash. I really don’t think anyone has the right to take that away from others. If this is out of line I apologize but your posts since the direct have been cringe-worthy.
These are my own opinions lol.

Btw. This is standard here. Negativity and pessimism is one and one here. This wasn't even that negative of a post going by My previous ones.

(And thanks for calling me cringy! I'll be sure to add that to My signature!)

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts on this? I did the math, assuming the character portraits are mirrored on each side, there should be 72 slots as there's 36 per side. Counting the characters from the fighters page on the website (By portrait, not number), we've got exactly 70. Which would theoretically mean two open slots on the box for newcomers...
Wait, where is :ultdarksamus:? I know :ultsamus: is on the front but why is Dark Samus not even there?

Sordim522

Smash Cadet
These are my own opinions lol.

Btw. This is standard here. Negativity and pessimism is one and one here.

(And thanks for calling me cringy! I'll be sure to add that to My signature!)
In all fairness I specified your posts since the direct not you yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom