• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
Damn, 13 hours remain. Let's all remember to, again, hype responsibly. And whatever happens, don't be a sore winner or a sore loser. In any case, it's still 3 months until the game comes out and this definitely isn't the last character reveal. I'm crossing every finger I have.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Thanks, friend. I suspect this is true for many of us here, but Isaac means a lot to me because Golden Sun was such a big part of my childhood. I didn't have a ton of games growing up, so I must have played the original Golden Sun some 5-6 times from start to finish. I loved the simple but nuanced combat, the brilliant graphics (especially for a handheld at the time), the Zelda-like puzzles combined with Pokemon-like Djinn collecting, the memorable characters, and the straightforward but compelling plot. The Lost Age was a brilliant sequel that is actually just the second half of the story, and I enjoyed it just as much.

Given how great the series was, I was sure it would go on to be a Nintendo mainstay on the level that Fire Emblem eventually became. I was sad when the series went dormant for a bit, but I was sure Isaac had a legitimate shot at getting into Brawl. Sure, we weren't as vocal as the Diddy, Ridley, Geno, or Dedede supporters, but it was a solid crew and I was sure Isaac would make the cut. The Assist Trophy reveal crushed me, but at least there was also a new Golden Sun game on the Horizon. Unfortunately, that sequel (Dark Dawn) was a critical and commercial flop (despite being perfectly serviceable, it just couldn't recapture the magic of the original two), and Nintendo put down the series for good. I put the series out of my mind for a while, until Sm4sh speculation season. At this point, Isaac seemed less likely than ever, and with Sm4sh's famous recency bias, I pinned my hopes on Shulk instead. That wish came true, but I never forgot about the Golden Boy. I saw that he performed decently well in the polls and was happy that others still remembered him, but I'm ashamed to say I'd basically lost hope, especially when he was cut as an Assist Trophy for no reason. The constant naysaying for 6+ years just wore me down and I convinced myself it could never happen.

Then Ultimate came around. When I started seeing longtime dreams coming to fruition like Ridley and K. Rool, and then again when Sakurai confirmed that he was going off the ballot, and yet again with the famous Twitter screenshot, I dared to dream again. The Isaac fandom has had its ups and downs over the years, but I really think this is the highest his chances have ever been. More importantly, it's now or never. If Isaac isn't in Ultimate, I don't think he'll ever be in Smash barring some kind of miracle, and Golden Sun will be firmly relegated to the archives of history, to be replaced by shinier, newer, (though equally worthy) series like Xenoblade. If Isaac DOES get in, however, it would be a vindication to all of us who have hoped against hope for so long. And maybe, just maybe, we could see the franchise rise from the grave once again. So you see, not only does Isaac mean the world to everyone here, the stakes for his inclusion are incredibly high for anyone who ever loved this series.
Well, as a massive Fire Emblem fan, you got me interested in that game aswell ^^ I'll probably buy the first one online someday, plus I'm really fond of the GBA era

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Damn, 13 hours remain. Let's all remember to, again, hype responsibly. And whatever happens, don't be a sore winner or a sore loser. In any case, it's still 3 months until the game comes out and this definitely isn't the last character reveal. I'm crossing every finger I have.
In all cases, we could as well end up with no Smash-related news at all. So we might have to prepare for that too. :demon:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman

Tetiro

Smash Ace
This is not helping me hype responsibly.

I know they renew trademarks all the time but...:

Dare we believe? Somebody please come tell us why this means nothing
On a Nintendo Direct day? There is very little reason why it is nothing. Come on Isaac for Smash/Golden Sun sequel/Remake/Ports/Nintendo even acknowledging its existence.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
****ing hell. Given that these happened two days ago, this is a situation where I would jump in and say it does mean something.

Given my theory Golden Sun could solely be due to an appearance in Smash though.

SlyRocko

Smash Rookie
*spurts milk out of his nose*

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/1040166764775202816

"Nintendo Co., Ltd. apply for new Golden Sun videogame trademark"

EDIT: (As well as Mario Super Sluggers, Rhythm Heaven and Wrecking Crew)
From what I understand of trademarks, the name must be used otherwise its trademark can easily be removed. It could mean that something is going to happen with these trademarks, now that they are being renewed. Most likely a port but it could also mean even more O_O

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
On a Nintendo Direct day? There is very little reason why it is nothing. Come on Isaac for Smash/Golden Sun sequel/Remake/Ports/Nintendo even acknowledging its existence.
Not today. They were filed on 9/11. Which is still only a matter of days before a new Nintendo Direct. Super Sluggers seems likely for a new game. Rhythm Heaven and GS could be either that or Smash. Or both. Wrecking crew could easily be Smash as well because there is a stage in Smash already.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

And here I am finally off my night shift trying to sleep and you have to overload my hype. Must calm down to not set myself up for disappointment...oh and sleep.

Man I really hope this means something!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

Could this be it...? Could this truely be our Golden Boy's finest hour for Smash bros, or revitalised interest in a new Golden Sun game...? Either way, it's looking very, very promising for Golden Sun's future...!

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Just have to wait for tonight to be certain. Just have to wait... :chrono:
But that's too many coincidences.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Didn't this also happen with Sin and Punishment a while back? I could have sworn I heard about that some time ago.

In any case, I hope this means something.
If it were just 1 IP I would be inclined to agree but 4 in a single week is very likely to be something big

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Holy crap. Last time I checked in here you guys were only on page 29. I missed a lot huh?

I'm kind of hoping Isaac is revealed tonight as it's the last Direct I'll get to watch with my Golden Sun loving little sister before she moves half way across the country to start her new life.
She's mostly fallen out of love with gaming, but she's wanted Isaac since Brawl and would definitely want to give Smash another crack if the Venus Adept made the cut.

Bonus points if the rest of the party show up in his Final Smash or as assists or stage elements even. She adores Ivan so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

D

Deleted member

Just gonna leave this here:

1536831537293m.jpg

Edit: beaten to punch, ah well.

You people are fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Two questions:

Why was this not done before the original date?
Is this a renewal, or a new trademark?

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Now with the renewal of these games

Golden Sun
Mario Tennis
Wrecking Crew
Rhythm Heaven

It looks like Rhythm Heaven has a huge chance of getting a character too.

Additionally I think Spike from Wrecking Crew would make for a very fascinating villain.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

Okay - we've seen trademarks get renewed before, it's nothing new assuming the company wants to keep their franchise names under their own control. That being said, seeing as this happened a few days ago and it's timing is extremely close (Along with Rhythm Heaven, Wrecking Crew and Sluggers), I think the next 11 hours are going to be the longest of my life.

Guys, I've been saying since Simon, I'm feeling the Isaac reveal. I really think this is it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I really hope this isn't gonna be some meaningless side thing in the end with such intriguing coincidence near this Direct.

Now the argument would be that this could have had happened last week as well, so dunno much.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
If both Rhythm Heaven and Isaac get in ... omg I might just die of happiness... but I can’t die before playing this game ! This will create a paradox that will destroy space and time ! :drfacepalm:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
If both Rhythm Heaven and Isaac get in ... omg I might just die of happiness... but I can’t die before playing this game ! This will create a paradox that will destroy space and time ! :drfacepalm:
If that happens all cards are on the table at this point. We all know Geno and Banjo are highly requested but Isaac or Rhythm Heaven will prove that no franchise is out of Sakurai's reach. Even the niche of the niche

Last edited:

Jupiter Ivan

Smash Ace
*pants* Caught up... again... *wipes sweat* Hoo boy... I had a roughhh day yesterday (technically because 1:35 AM here). What do you think was(were) the reason(s) for the delay to begin with?
I think the delay was because the direct (while typically pre recorded most times) is still a live event. And they didn’t want to have it go live during a crisis. I really don’t think there’s a whole lot else to go on. I don’t subscribe to the tin foil hat theory of “Isaac because he can make earthquakes”. I mean, it’s possible, but it’s a bit of a stretch. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Alright guys, I'm feeling a serious case of Deja vu with this trademark. Didn't we already freak out over it in some way (though at the time most passed it off as nothing since we still were flip floppy on Isaac's chances).

Guys! Nintendo renewed Golden Sun's trademark on 4/25/2017!
https://www.trademarkia.com/golden-sun-77749719.html

This could mean something considering K Rool's trademark was also renewed a few years ago...
So this is the first mention of it. So was there another recent renewal or is the tweet just talking about this instance?

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Ill be here slapping awake if need be - but truly sharing same sentiments. This'd truly be the best timeline. :pimp:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I did some statistics on Camelot and Golden Sun and I'm thinking it might genuinely be time. Camelot's behavior locks them to a 2019/2020 release on their next title based on the last 5, 10, 15, 20 years and their lifetime as a developer (they release a game every 1 to 2 years). With at least 76% accuracy (there were only 3 games where the release years were wrong out of 13+ titles that statistics could predict)

If the Smash Ballot indeed prove Isaac was a popular choice, that would have been enough to greenlight at least an enhanced port of the originals.

And considering Camelot only do either Golf, Tennis or Golden Sun, this is making a rebirth of Golden Sun an actual possibility

EDIT: And here are the games Camelot have done and when they were first released. Also my statistics helped me accurately guess Samus Returns, Super Mario Party, Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby: Star Allies, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Pokemon, the list goes on! (well, in terms of which franchises get the spotlight this time)

EDIT 2: Also Golden Sun has come up on my Twitter Feed as trending. People have good taste ;)

Mario Golf (1999)
Mario Tennis (2000)
Golden Sun, Mobile Golf (both 2001)
Golden Sun: The Lost Age (2002)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (2003)
Mario Golf: Advance Tour, Mario Power Tennis (both 2004)
Mario Tennis: Power Tour (2005)
We Love Golf! (2007)
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis (2009)
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (2010)
Mario Tennis Open (2012)
Mario Golf: World Tour (2014)
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (2015)
Mario Sports Superstars (2017)
Mario Tennis Aces (2018)

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Alright guys, I'm feeling a serious case of Deja vu with this trademark. Didn't we already freak out over it in some way (though at the time most passed it off as nothing since we still were flip floppy on Isaac's chances).

So this is the first mention of it. So was there another recent renewal or is the tweet just talking about this instance?
It's another recent renewal.

gs.png

The one you listed shows 4/25/2017 as the renewal date, while this one shows 9/11/2018.

I had a feeling there was a renewal not too long ago. Strange that there seems to be another so soon.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
EDIT: And here are the games Camelot have done and when they were first released. Also my statistics helped me accurately guess Samus Returns, Super Mario Party, Yoshi's Crafted World, Kirby: Star Allies, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Pokemon, the list goes on! (well, in terms of which franchises get the spotlight this time)
If you gonna guess this one right, peeps here will love you. Like, love you.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Well we'll have our answers if this copyright situation is at all relevant soon I'd say.

It's gonna be quite the thing to try to catch the direct live, hope I can manage. If not well... first thing I'm gonna do once I'm home from work is go to the direct page, I'll bookmark it on my desktop for that purpose. My fingers are crossed.

Time for sleep.

Top Bottom