• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Overall I doubt the Direct will change much, if at all. Like has been said, earthquakes are not unusual in Japan, and Nintendo has already done the good PR step of delaying the Direct out of respect to victims. Maybe there are minor edits or some re-recording to reflect news that has come out already, but rearranging their planned first-party reveals seems unlikely given they already prepped all the related trailers, and I'm sure third parties like Square still want the free press of being featured in a Direct.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, usually the people living in Japan I talk to are Westerner, so I was wondering if Japanese people goes to westerner forum sometimes, or if they are uninterested or just not good whit english.

Do some of you guys consider Sakurai tweet to be a reference to GS, or are people only crazy on the western side of the globe?

What is Japan opinion on Isaac usually, I know he's high enough to be know, but not to be whit the frontrunner there.

Do Japan see K Roll, Ridley and the Belmont Bros as westerner pick, or are they also hype about them?
Oh, lol, well I mean I'm American originally as well. I speak the language and I've lived here for several years now but I don't see myself as qualified to make a definitive statement on most of that stuff.

Judging by some of the prediction articles I've read, the really popular picks in Japan that I see coming up regularly are Bandana Dee (as most of you know), Rex/Pyra, Sora, and Incineroar. They also seem to have a thing for Crash Bandicoot because I see people bringing him up in several lists. Shadow and other Sonic characters seem like common requests. Lots of love for ARMS characters too, with pretty much every list saying Springman or someone from that franchise is likely. Check out these (all in Japanese but I've chosen ones with pictures)

https://moving-and-grooving.com/646/post-646/ (Scroll to the bottom for their predictions)

https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2152059317656546501?&page=1 (This one has a ton of picks across 4 pages, lots of them from Fire Emblem and such)

https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161.html

You'll notice that none of them even mention Isaac. Unfortunately, while the series is definitely remembered here, I think it gets lost in the shuffle of JRPGs, whereas for a lot of people in the West Golden Sun was one of our early forays into the genre and our first real JRPG on a handheld. Interestingly, at least 2 of them feature K. Rool. One of them gives examples of popular western picks, with number 6 being 6.ロビン(黄金の太陽) (Isaac from Golden Sun). So they do know that he's a popular request over here, and if they know then Sakurai certainly does.

Sorry if that's a bit inconclusive. I've moved fairly recently and don't have many Japanese gamer friends so I can't really give you what the word on the street is, but I hope that at least gives you guys a picture of what the Japanese intarwebz are saying.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Just has a thought after watching the Smash Direct again. Imagine if Isaac (and Felix), Shadow, Isabelle, and Skull Kid got announced in this Direct? That would be a AT to Fighter celebration! It would be great to see that! A guy can dream!

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that so many people don't believe Isaac will be in this game. This game is the "fan service" game. Just have some patience guys. Sooner or later we will be watching and re watching Isaac's trailer. If Isaac isn't in the base game i'm almost sure he will be DLC. If by a small chance Isaac specifically returns as an assist (which I highly doubt) then we will change to supporting Felix for DLC.

I doubt Sakurai looked at the ballot and said "wow so many people want Isaac ..... too bad". Unless Sakurai specifically says he doesn't want to add a Golden Sun rep, or doesn't know how to then I will expect Isaac for this game. This game Sakurai is making the impossible possible and answering character requests as far back as a decade. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about us. If anybody needs optimism just borrow some of mine.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
What do you guys think a Golden Sun stage will be?

I think mt aleph or one of the towers are the most likely.

Thanks, usually the people living in Japan I talk to are Westerner, so I was wondering if Japanese people goes to westerner forum sometimes, or if they are uninterested or just not good whit english.

Do some of you guys consider Sakurai tweet to be a reference to GS, or are people only crazy on the western side of the globe?

What is Japan opinion on Isaac usually, I know he's high enough to be know, but not to be whit the frontrunner there.

Do Japan see K Roll, Ridley and the Belmont Bros as westerner pick, or are they also hype about them?
From what I have seen from compilation polls. Isaac is a lot more popular in the west, similar to Ridley. King K Rool is just as popular in Japan as he was here. Not sure about Simon
I'm surprised that so many people don't believe Isaac will be in this game. This game is the "fan service" game. Just have some patience guys. Sooner or later we will be watching and re watching Isaac's trailer. If Isaac isn't in the base game i'm almost sure he will be DLC. If by a small chance Isaac specifically returns as an assist (which I highly doubt) then we will change to supporting Felix for DLC.

I doubt Sakurai looked at the ballot and said "wow so many people want Isaac ..... too bad". Unless Sakurai specifically says he doesn't want to add a Golden Sun rep, or doesn't know how to then I will expect Isaac for this game. This game Sakurai is making the impossible possible and answering character requests as far back as a decade. I'm sure he hasn't forgotten about us. If anybody needs optimism just borrow some of mine.

and we have this image, which makes Isaac's chance go up ten fold.

Last edited:

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Oh, lol, well I mean I'm American originally as well. I speak the language and I've lived here for several years now but I don't see myself as qualified to make a definitive statement on most of that stuff.

Judging by some of the prediction articles I've read, the really popular picks in Japan that I see coming up regularly are Bandana Dee (as most of you know), Rex/Pyra, Sora, and Incineroar. They also seem to have a thing for Crash Bandicoot because I see people bringing him up in several lists. Shadow and other Sonic characters seem like common requests. Lots of love for ARMS characters too, with pretty much every list saying Springman or someone from that franchise is likely. Check out these (all in Japanese but I've chosen ones with pictures)

https://moving-and-grooving.com/646/post-646/ (Scroll to the bottom for their predictions)

https://matome.naver.jp/odai/2152059317656546501?&page=1 (This one has a ton of picks across 4 pages, lots of them from Fire Emblem and such)

https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161.html

You'll notice that none of them even mention Isaac. Unfortunately, while the series is definitely remembered here, I think it gets lost in the shuffle of JRPGs, whereas for a lot of people in the West Golden Sun was one of our early forays into the genre and our first real JRPG on a handheld. Interestingly, at least 2 of them feature K. Rool. One of them gives examples of popular western picks, with number 6 being 6.ロビン(黄金の太陽) (Isaac from Golden Sun). So they do know that he's a popular request over here, and if they know then Sakurai certainly does.

Sorry if that's a bit inconclusive. I've moved fairly recently and don't have many Japanese gamer friends so I can't really give you what the word on the street is, but I hope that at least gives you guys a picture of what the Japanese intarwebz are saying.
Thanks a lot! :seuss:

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
Hi Isaac Fans, just came here to throw some support to you. Sorry, what happened in Japan. My condolences to everybody who were affected by the earthquake. I hope everybody there is ok and safe. Hopefully, their recovery from this mess is speedy and swift.

I'm ok with them delaying the direct, just to respect those who were affected there. It can wait.

I hope you guys get your wish fulfilled soon. So, I made this picture of Isaac fighting Geno, while the other potential newcomers are fighting each other.:

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Just has a thought after watching the Smash Direct again. Imagine if Isaac (and Felix), Shadow, Isabelle, and Skull Kid got announced in this Direct? That would be a AT to Fighter celebration! It would be great to see that! A guy can dream!
That is my hope
They will show ALL the remaining AT (that are not locked to a new IP) then they will show the playable ex-AT like Lil Mac and Dark Samus, then they will show Isabele being cute as always, Shadow, being a edgy Sonic as always, Skull Kid trailer begins, he give a bad time to Young Link, when the moon is falling and Ylink is ready to do the Song of Time, Isaac stops him, and use the Judgement Summon to destroy the falling moon, Isaac trailer Begins, in the end of his trailer, he is having a hard time battling multiples oponents at once, then when Bowser is ready to Stomp him, Felix appears with a Odyssey right on Bowser (Reference to him saving Isaac in Jupiter lighthouse) and is revealed as Isaac echo, in the end of trailer Isaac tries a high five, Felix ignores him and goes to the beacon of the Lighthouse, Isaac go to combat pose to try to stop him, some characters appears to make reference for their party, and the trailer ends with both crossing swords

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

I like this optimism! it is greatly appreciated too! I think his chances are higher than ever so I believe Sakurai will reward our patience.

Hi Isaac Fans, just came here to throw some support to you. Sorry, what happened in Japan. My condolences to everybody who were affected by the earthquake. I hope everybody there is ok and safe. Hopefully, their recovery from this mess is speedy and swift.

I'm ok with them delaying the direct, just to respect those who were affected there. It can wait.

I hope you guys get your wish fulfilled soon. So, I made this picture of Isaac fighting Geno, while the other potential newcomers are fighting each other.:

Thank you so much for the good wishes and the awesome drawing, I hope your expectations are fruitful as well!

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Was thinking, wouldn't venus lighthouse be a bit towery in nature? Like it'd be like a bunch of large steps that you'd have to hop up? Seems like it'd be awkward to fight on unless they flattened the main part.
Sol Sanctum would probably be better in that regard, what with rising/lowering small platforms, a very unique look (background would be super peaceful looking, large door in the middle)
Tret's Tree could be another idea, as would either of the desert... actually most of the iconic locations would work as a stage.
Any of the lighthouses, Tret, Colosso, Karagol Boat, Sol Sanctum, That one statue thing, any of the "Rocks", Vale, Lemuria, etc.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
This mod shows how I think Venus Lighthouse could honestly work as a stage. I just think it's the best choice because it's one of the most notable locations in the games.

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
Started work on my Djinn sculptures, working on an Earth Djinn right now. I'll hopefully have something substantial to show tomorrow.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
This mod shows how I think Venus Lighthouse could honestly work as a stage. I just think it's the best choice because it's one of the most notable locations in the games.
Ah, that does look like it could work if it's like that, upper platform in the background is a good idea.

cybersai

Smash Ace
My guess is the direct had either Skull Kid or Isaac in it, or if we're lucky, both.

So hoping whenever the direct is released we'll see the characters we want.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think anything has changed for Isaac, we're still in the exact same position we were a week ago.

Anyway, I need to check up on some posts. I think I missed some songs for the Golden Sun X Smash Bros playlist.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
I don't think removing a character or even a trailer would be possible with only a few months left before the launch. I just really hope nothing else happens. Japan's had enough these couple of years...
I haven't quite caught up so I'm probably behind on the topic. Oops.

Muirkat

Smash Apprentice
Decided to show what I've got so far. It's rough, but I'm liking how it's coming out.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I think a great way to reveal Isaac is show off more assist trophies, and Isaac is one of them. Then later in a direct through his trailer, we find out he is not actually an AT but a playable character.

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
I think a great way to reveal Isaac is show off more assist trophies, and Isaac is one of them. Then later in a direct through his trailer, we find out he is not actually an AT but a playable character.
Please, my poor old heart can only take so much. Also that would just rekindle the entire Waluigi discussion again, I doubt anyone would want that.

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
My stomach is upset so I think I'll take that as a sign to pass out. It's 3 am again. Just a little FYI. I live in NW TN and that's right next to a fault line... And I've slept through random quakes here before..

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well, I just beat Golden Sun 1 and 2 in anticipation of Isaac joining Smash and they are so good. I'm glad I went back through them no matter what happens. (I was planning on playing DD as well but Spiderman releases tomorrow so um that's on hiatus)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
No this is an terrible way to reveal Isaac. My heart couldn't take that.

Not to mention it would set up expectations for Waluigi and Ashley fans that their assist trophies might get promoted. (I don't think it would be logical to think that but I feel like that's what they would take from a reveal like this...)

I'd rather they showed off Matthew (or Felix I guess) as an assist. Just to get us wondering about Isaac.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I have an even better idea. Reveal him as an assist, except don't reveal that he is actually a playable character in the same direct, instead wait months down the line and do it.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Isaac if he gets revealed might be one of those "one more thing" type reveals, shown at the end of the Direct, just like Ridley and K Rool were, since those were also fan favorites! Other than that, I hope he gets revealed in a conventional way, focusing on a single unique character per trailer does justice to them and I see no need for an AT fake out, at least for hypothetical Waluigi reveal it can fit his personality somewhat, doesn't make sense to do that for Isaac and his fanbase, as well as going through the effort of making this fake AT just for that singular moment and then discarding later.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Heh, I went to go check the poll from earlier just to see how it ended up, and now "no - keep the (old) title" has more votes.

Oh well, too late now.

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, please don't let that happen. I don't want to feel a rollercoaster that distracts me from the rest of the direct.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm surprised people think the direct was delayed because of an Issac reveal instead of the more straightforward reasoning that a fair amount of Japan (and thus their consumer base) currently has no power to watch the direct.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I'm surprised people think the direct was delayed because of an Issac reveal instead of the more straightforward reasoning that a fair amount of Japan (and thus their consumer base) currently has no power to watch the direct.
I dont think people believe now. Something terrible happen and they need time to recover, and video games are not a priority and I think every body can understand that

Mav485

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1504-7090-2374
Switch FC
SW 7228 3594 2505
Heh, I went to go check the poll from earlier just to see how it ended up, and now "no - keep the (old) title" has more votes.

Oh well, too late now.
Yeah, I was one of those “No” votes but I was waffling. Would have gone back to change it if I could. I like the new name. My thoughts on “No” were simply that I follow the convo here and know the title came from a place of good fun, but the change is fine and understandable. Plus, I’m sure we can always muster up some more talk of 50 Cent whenever there is need. =P

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What do you guys think a Golden Sun stage will be?

I think mt aleph or one of the towers are the most likely.
I think I'd like a Venus Lighthouse stage, but have Mt. Aleph appear prominently in the background. That feels like the best of both worlds.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Knowing there is this direct just there waiting to be released is worst than not knowing when the next direct will be.
The anticipation is killing me. I might need to draw Isaac all over my notepads to stave off the hype.

Either that or draw him Bayonett'ing it up. Why? Why not is the better question

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, it's all right. I'm sorry if my response came off as harsh. It wasn't really in response to you specifically, I'm just getting frustrated at people overplaying the effects of the earthquake. Trust me, earthquakes are a fact of life over here in Japan and people recover quickly. I'm not downplaying the significance to anyone who was affected in Hokkaido, but people are reacting like this is a repeat of the Fukushima earthquake in 2011 when that is very far from the case. Most of my coworkers have already moved on to other topics of conversation. The impact of this disaster on the Direct will amount to a delay of several days and likely nothing more.
That's what I'm assuming in all honesty. There's a lot of damage and injuries (at least 8 deaths sadly), but this doesn't sound like a HUGE thing like that 2011 earthquake was. Thankfully this isn't very bad, it was just bad timing for a Direct. I definitely think we're getting it far sooner than some people are predicting; either Sunday or Monday (Monday or Tuesday in Japan).

I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. Two insiders have already reported a piece of content in the Direct was part of the reason for the delay, as it'd be insensitive given the timing. Probably won't get removed or anything, but it was one reason to push it back. They said it was "a game gets shown off and it'll be very obvious once it gets shown". It could be a Smash trailer, or more likely a new game entirely, but either way, several people have brought this up as well.

That's not the ONLY reason, but it is one reason in delaying the Direct.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I've mentioned it before and I'll say it again. Two insiders have already reported a piece of content in the Direct was part of the reason for the delay, as it'd be insensitive given the timing.
Huh, first time hearing about this. Source?

SlyRocko

Smash Rookie
To lighten up the mood let's fantasize :^) IF Isaac is announced as a fighter AND Felix is an echo, wouldn't it be cool if he was a Brute class while Isaac is a Squire class? Even the Psynergies can be very similar:
Quake == Growth
Gaia == Blast
Ragnarok == Planet Diver (kind of)
Spire is in both classes

And maybe the final Smashes can be Titan Blade OR Judgement for Isaac; and Megiddo OR Iris for Felix

Top Bottom