• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I don't know. I'm not convinced that it even is a reference to any game in particular, just dragon slayers ready to fight the latest dragon. Or maybe Sakurai is highlighting that this is a dream encounter that Link and Marth (maybe Shulk) are famous for fighting dragons and are about to fight the famous Rathalos from Monster Hunter. Sakurai does like to highlight how these cross overs only happen in Smash.
Shulk hasn't fought any dragons, so i don't know what the hell he's doing there.

"Oh hey guys. Let's have Mars and Link fight a ratholos! Oh, and throw in Shulk too. Just for ****s and giggles."

Ehh...Roy would still be an obviously better fit. Since his main thing is t3h ph1r3, he even has red hair and the like. I highly doubt they go with Marth just because of his name overlooking his obvious fire emblem compatriot that would be a much better fit for that reference in pretty much every single way.

And well, it seemed like you were implying it has to be a reference to something...and the Monster Hunter Box art argument I think potentially holds more merit since well, it's a Monster Hunter assist trophy, it's less of a stretch than expecting it to reference Golden Sun. Maybe it's not a recreation of the box art, putting the visual similarities aside, but it's definitely a Monster Hunter themed pic, like the person two posts back said, hunters fighting a monster.
The Monster hunter box art is complete dung. If it was a reference to monster hunter box bart, how about...just use cloud to make the reference better?

He has a giant sword, and Monster Hunter is famous for having Hugely over the top swords.

If this is supposed to reference something in monster hunter(other than the Rathalos), it's doing a piss poor job then.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Shulk hasn't fought any dragons, so i don't know what the hell he's doing there.

"Oh hey guys. Let's have Mars and Link fight a ratholos! Oh, and throw in Shulk too. Just for ****s and giggles."

Ivan and Shulk are both blondes. And both got a special weapon to keep in their games

tveye

Smash Journeyman
Here is my own oppinion on characters getting in. First and most importantly...moveset potential. If a character can be unique and fun to play why not add them? Second and just as important as the first, lots of fan support. If nobody wants it there is not much point to add it, as no one will get excited for it. I mean really if a character is added soley based on their contributions to gaming, or the size of their franchise, a few of the veteran roster shouldn't be in either. Like the extra pokemon characters that aren't pikachu or the starters were only added because of current popularity at the time. Same for most of the fire emblem characters being new or popular.
If you go by those rules, then you might as well add Goku. He’s highly requested in Latin America and would have an amazing moveset. Does that mean he should be in Smash then?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
If you go by those rules, then you might as well add Goku. He’s highly requested in Latin America and would have an amazing moveset. Does that mean he should be in Smash then?
I think there are quite a number of guidelines that each character must be checked off for to be considered for smash.

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
The Monster hunter box art is complete dung. If it was a reference to monster hunter box bart, how about...just use cloud to make the reference better?

He has a giant sword, and Monster Hunter is famous for having Hugely over the top swords.

If this is supposed to reference something in monster hunter(other than the Rathalos), it's doing a piss poor job then.
That is what I was getting at earlier, there are so many ways they could have made it a better reference to Monster Hunter but instead they put nearly zero effort in making the reference work and tweet it out? I am sorry but that just does not add up to me. Again if it had not been tweeted by Sakurai himself I would just see it as another random picture that was added to the website.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know. I'm not convinced that it even is a reference to any game in particular, just dragon slayers ready to fight the latest dragon. Or maybe Sakurai is highlighting that this is a dream encounter that Link and Marth (maybe Shulk) are famous for fighting dragons and are about to fight the famous Rathalos from Monster Hunter. Sakurai does like to highlight how these cross overs only happen in Smash.
This could be true. However, why would Sakurai choose this exact angle? He could also have shown them actually fighting the Rathalos in a far more traditional sense known to Smash Bros.? They could show some attacks of Rathalos like this for example. The whole scenery really leads up to being a Golden Sun reference. I have a hard time believing this is coincidence.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If/when Isaac is revealed, I can't wait for the people who are going to spring up saying "That Rathalos twitter pic was obviously a Golden Sun reference, it couldn't have been anything else", when they had been among the naysayers.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So who here mains characters from series they don't play? I've been a Roy main since Melee and I've only ever exposed myself to Fire Emblem twice. Shadow Dragon and Heroes. Probably the two worst ways to experience an acclaimed series like this. lmfao.

That aside, I hope that Isaac has the same effect on me Roy did. I've only ever played a little bit of Golden Sun, but I know enough about him to know he sounds incredibly interesting on paper. It would be great to see how Sakurai translates that into a playable character in Smash. If anything, Isaac being this late to the party means Sakurai has had the time to be more elaborate with how he creates characters.
Roy was one for me as well in Melee and MewTwo. Captain Falcon in 64. Wolf in Brawl, and to a lesser extent, Shulk and Cloud in 4. Though, I would play every character, I suprisingly got good with those ones. And they would extend as my favorites to play as in future titles. But my mains will always be Link and Sonic (and hopefully Isaac soon to complete my dream team trio. See my profile pic. Lol)

I've also noticed there has always been two newcomer characters in each installment that would become my favorite and carry over to the next game:
64 = :ultlink: & :ultfalcon:
Melee = :ultroy: & :ultmewtwo:
Brawl = :ultsonic: & :ultwolf:
WiiU/3DS = :ultcloud: &:ultshulk:
And hopefully soon to be:
Ultimate = (Isaac) & :ultsimon:

Come on Isaac! You are the last one I need for a top ten!

N1N

Smash Cadet
NNID
Liamdude11
3DS FC
0791-4680-8645
Guys, guys. This has probably been pointed out before, but...

What if clone fighters were rebranded as Echo Fighters because of the first Djinni that Felix obtains, ECHO?

Felix might actually be an echo of Isaac.

KMDP

Smash Legend

What if clone fighters were rebranded as Echo Fighters because of the first Djinni that Felix obtains, ECHO?

Not only that, but we could get Celica as an Echo of Robin.

Celica recently starred in Fire Emblem: ECHOES.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Nahh they are obviously references to the characters themselves.

For example Dark Samus, she debuted in Metroid Prime ECHOES.. Clear reference.
Chrom? Because Fire Emblem Echoes is a title, he didn't star in it, but wait... It's the exact same continent as Awakening takes place in! Clear reference, clear as a river.
Then Daisy. It's obvious that she is a Echo because of her appearance in Mario Kart Double Dash. 'HII'MDAISYHII'MDAISYHII'MDAISY'.. that just echoes through your mind, even as you read this.

I have no idea about Richter but people with advanced knowlegde of Castevania might now that much.

Felix confirmed? Then Isaac also confirmed.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman

Let us not forget Dark Samus from Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.
Edit: Diddy Kong beat me to it.

Last edited:

Istry555

Smash Cadet

There were dragons in Xenoblade Chronicles. Shulk has fought them...

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
There were dragons in Xenoblade Chronicles. Shulk has fought them...
Oh. He did?

Wait, if that's the case, why didn't the other characters that have fought dragons not get featured in this pic then?

Roy fought a dragon as one of the bosses.

Samus literally has to fight tons of dragons in the Metroid universe.

Richter also fights a dragon in Rondo of blood.

Pit ALSO fights a dragon. As does Robin....Cloud....Bayonetta....Mega man....And Ike if you count the boss you fight that's on a dragon.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
100% don't think that K. Rool getting in changes Isaac's chances at all. Sakurai said that characters from dead series were rarely considered, and whether K. Rool the character is irrelevant or not does not matter in that case, because DK is a huge series that still gets games. Golden Sun probably won't get a game ever again unless Isaac gets into Smash.
Mmm, Sakurai never said that dude. At least as far as I know. Yeah, it's fine to be pessimistic but that's false information your spreading.

I do believe K. Rool increases Isaac's chances. When Ridley was revealed people said that increased K. Rool's chances, and people obviously refuted that, but he made it in. People are saying the same with K. Rool and Isaac. Who knows right now but I'm always an optimist and I think Isaac is in. Call me nuts. But I think this is it.

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
Oh. He did?

Wait, if that's the case, why didn't the other characters that have fought dragons not get featured in this pic then?

Roy fought a dragon as one of the bosses.

Samus literally has to fight tons of dragons in the Metroid universe.

Richter also fights a dragon in Rondo of blood.

Pit ALSO fights a dragon. As does Robin....Cloud....Bayonetta....Mega man....And Ike if you count the boss you fight that's on a dragon.
Without flooding the shot with characters, he probable picked 3 who are from different series with realistic proportions with a high fantasy style. Possible reference to Golden Sun, possible reference to Monster Hunter, possible reference to nothing but a cool shot with 4 different series represented.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
I know many people here have said that they want judgement to be Isaac's final smash. Instead I would actually rather see a final smash similar to Shulk's but with Garet, Ivan, and Mia all unleashing attacks in glorious HD. Isaac could also get the last blow with Titan Blade.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Without flooding the shot with characters, he probable picked 3 who are from different series with realistic proportions with a high fantasy style. Possible reference to Golden Sun, possible reference to Monster Hunter, possible reference to nothing but a cool shot with 4 different series represented.
Yeah sure. As if any of the other franchises I meantionsd aren't high fantasy based. *eye roll*

Honestly, if 3 swordsman that are meant to represent each of nintendo's RPGs, and with the fact there seems to be room for one more-

D

Deleted member

I know many people here have said that they want judgement to be Isaac's final smash. Instead I would actually rather see a final smash similar to Shulk's but with Garet, Ivan, and Mia all unleashing attacks in glorious HD. Isaac could also get the last blow with Titan Blade.
That would be a nice suggestion to give the other characters some love, but honestly, you want Isaac's Final Smash to be devastating, and that's why people often suggest Judgment as the choice. And seeing Judgment in HD would be marvelous.

Also, while you can fight monsters in arenas in the Monster Hunter series, the majority of the game takes place out in the wilderness where it's just you, a pair of Felyne, and monsters as far as the eye can see. Considering how the Coliseum in Fire Emblem resembles the Battle Arena in Golden Sun somewhat, and the fact that in Link Battles, you can only use three Adepts, makes that tweet and image the more compelling. I mean, it's still grasping straws, but it's better than dissecting the colors of chairs in the background when you actually have in-game footage edited to resemble something that makes you immediately recall another franchise with similar looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
If/when Isaac is revealed, I can't wait for the people who are going to spring up saying "That Rathalos twitter pic was obviously a Golden Sun reference, it couldn't have been anything else", when they had been among the naysayers.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Issac and Felix in the game but I think the 'evidence' beyond the Smash Ballot is reaching. And I still don't believe it was Pac-Man in the clouds...

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Issac and Felix in the game but I think the 'evidence' beyond the Smash Ballot is reaching. And I still don't believe it was Pac-Man in the clouds...
IT WAS RIDLEY IN THE TREE! On a side note I think when it comes to the Twitter post people will believe what they want to believe. Alot of people joined the supporter list just because they thought that picture was a reference and no publicity is bad publicity. At the very least this picture represents the Isaac fan base speaking up for once and being heated even if it isn't a reference to golden sun the fact that people can believe it is means that the next time we get an option to put someone in the game we'll be at the front of the line. All this being said I think Isaac did better than shovel knight on the ballot so if be pretty shocked if he didn't make it in this time around

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
A lot of characters in Smash have fought dragons at some point or another so any one of them could have been used yet they went with the anime sword fighters (BotW Link, Marth, Shulk) instead of including characters from more mature series (Bayonetta, Richter, Samus). The former hints at a character with an anime style that uses a sword (like Isaac), while the latter would be more fitting for Monster Hunter (a series that constantly is rated T by the ESRB). Again I am not entirely convinced that it is a reference to Golden Sun but, I still can't see how else this picture was special enough for Sakurai to tweet it.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
That would be a nice suggestion to give the other characters some love, but honestly, you want Isaac's Final Smash to be devastating, and that's why people often suggest Judgment as the choice. And seeing Judgment in HD would be marvelous.
It's appropriately cinematic too, which fits Ultimate's style of final smashes to a T. I hope Isaac's trailer would feature it because that alone could sell people on his inclusion.

I myself am not convinced it's a Golden Sun reference but there's a stark difference between that and the supposed "Pac-Man in the clouds". A more apt comparison to that would be "pillow/chairs = Skull Kid", "DK common lazy pose in front of TV = Karate Joe", or "giant sun/moon in K. Rool/Simon trailers = Isaac/Skull Kid" where it's heavy reaching because of something so marginal. At least with the tweet, there are enough potential parallels to make a compelling case. I think the fan reaction to that tweet would speak for how many people were truly convinced by it, even if it isn't a reference.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I do believe in the hints like the pacman cloud in the greninja trailer, or the duck cloud in shulk's. Maybe Im crazy but is a video totally made by a studio, they plan and make every aspect of the video, even the background. Its weird to think that nobody notices the cloud with certain form and they didnt edit it.

Sakurai is the King of trolls and we love him for that

Last edited:

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
It's appropriately cinematic too, which fits Ultimate's style of final smashes to a T. I hope Isaac's trailer would feature it because that alone could sell people on his inclusion.
I do think that the cinematic would have to be sped up as the summon in Golden Sun takes roughly 17 seconds while say for example fox has a final smash that takes 8 seconds. As far as I can tell no final smash lasts longer than 10 seconds. I am not opposed to seeing Judgement in HD I am just throwing ideas and facts around.

D

Deleted member

I do think that the cinematic would have to be sped up as the summon in Golden Sun takes roughly 17 seconds while say for example fox has a final smash that takes 8 seconds. As far as I can tell no final smash lasts longer than 10 seconds. I am not opposed to seeing Judgement in HD I am just throwing ideas and facts around.
In Golden Sun, summons are treated cinematically due to how powerful they are and that was the intended effect. In Smash Bros., Judgment would have to be much quicker and rather than showing off a whole region getting destroyed, you simply "nuke" the intended area and head back into battle.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
And really, let's be honest. It's not like every other character speculation chain has anything better when it comes to "hints".

"Skull Kid is in because CHAIRS."
"Shantae is in because she has a LONGER history with Nintendo. And Wayforward's Jammie's DLC is totally a hint."
"Geno is getting in because he has a COSTUME."
"I SEE RAYMAN IN THE CLOUDS IN THE SMASH TRAILER."
"BANJO IS GETTING IN BECAUSE XBOX'S LEADER GAVE HIS BLESSING. (Even though Microsoft will still have to be involved, and could just decline for all we know.)"

Honestly. Smashboards speculation is **** anyways, so I'm not surprised to see everyone grasp into straws.

Delta64

Smash Journeyman
In Golden Sun, summons are treated cinematically due to how powerful they are and that was the intended effect. In Smash Bros., Judgment would have to be much quicker and rather than showing off a whole region getting destroyed, you simply "nuke" the intended area and head back into battle.
Like I said it would need to be faster paced to be appropriate. I never said it couldn't happen, I am just a little worried it will look a little weird if it was sped up. Still it could happen and look just fine.

And really, let's be honest. It's not like every other character speculation chain has anything better when it comes to "hints".

"Shantae is in because she has a LONGER history with Nintendo. And Wayforward's Jammie's DLC is totally a hint."
"BANJO IS GETTING IN BECAUSE XBOX'S LEADER GAVE HIS BLESSING. (Even though Microsoft will still have to be involved, and could just decline for all we know.)"

Honestly. Smashboards speculation is **** anyways, so I'm not surprised to see everyone grasp into straws.
I remember reading the Ridley support thread (as well as others) during the Smash 4 speculation period. To see people so passionately speculate about a character (even when they are wrong) is a beautiful thing. It shows just how much people care not just about the character they support but their love for the Super Smash Bros. series. And the fact that that passion is what brought characters like Ridley and King K. Rool to Ultimate you better believe that people are now going to reach as far as possible to drum up speculation for a character they want.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I remember reading the Ridley support thread (as well as others) during the Smash 4 speculation period. To see people so passionately speculate about a character (even when they are wrong) is a beautiful thing. It shows just how much people care not just about the character they support but their love for the Super Smash Bros. series. And the fact that that passion is what brought characters like Ridley and King K. Rool to Ultimate you better believe that people are now going to reach as far as possible to drum up speculation for a character they want.
I mean, yeah. I'm not hating on these characters. But in terms of evidence, and seeming like a stretch. It can seem like it. Speculation is not definitive proof, but it's a good time waster.

I want Isaac, and while I don't 100% believe the tweet, I do think it's the only thing we've got as a group of fans over the past 8 years. :p

It's not evidence, but wise one, I certainly hope it at least gets Isaac being playable into the minds of others.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

The rayman in the clouds thing is funny to me, like why would Sakurai ever pull the same trick with pacman to tease rayman lol

Tetiro

Smash Ace
The rayman in the clouds thing is funny to me, like why would Sakurai ever pull the same trick with pacman to tease rayman lol
Welcome to the world of the Internet

EDIT: Our 10,000 post special comic is now ready! Just waiting for that beloved 10,000th post :)

Last edited:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
So who here mains characters from series they don't play? I've been a Roy main since Melee and I've only ever exposed myself to Fire Emblem twice. Shadow Dragon and Heroes. Probably the two worst ways to experience an acclaimed series like this. lmfao.
I played Captain Falcon and Lucas a lot and eventually got to their home series. But I just played whoever was interesting when I was a kid. Nowadays I usually only pick characters whose games I'm fond of if I'm being honest.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well folks here it is! Our 10,000th post! I had no idea when I returned back to Smashboards that Isaac would get so much support.

So then! It's time as promised. To post my 10,000th Post Special Comic. Hope you all like it! It's why Isaac has yet to be revealed ;)

I even tried a new art style. More BrawlintheFamily inspired. Enjoy!

Isaac_10000_Post_Comic 002.png

tveye

Smash Journeyman
There was a fake leak that said Judgement was an assist trophy. I'd be totally fine with that.

Top Bottom