• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
8.000 POSTS! WE CAN REACH 10.000 AND BEYOND!

This is going to be a Golden Dawn :bluejump:

Last edited:

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I feel like I have been lurking around Isaac forums far too long lol. That being said, I always wanted Isaac since Brawl days and while I was disappointed that Isaac didn't make any appearance of sorts in smash Wii U/3DS, I enjoy reading all the comments on this forum and love all the positive vibes displayed here! I think Isaac has a decent chance this time around and hope he in fact does become a playable character :D

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would be pretty awkward if Felix showed up before Isaac in a trailer imo. The way I always imagined it, even before the Richter reveal, was that if Felix showed up as a costume (this was before we even knew about echoes) that he would show up halfway through to help Isaac fight some villain or something. I don't think Felix is gonna show up before Isaac if he is in it all.

Sidenote though, I feel like Felix totally got some votes, and I feel like if Isaac gets in, he will probably get in as an echo too. It just makes sense, and I think a lot of GS fans would be happy.
Here's to hoping. It'd take a miracle even if Isaac does make it.

I am so excited for 3 houses. I really hope they fix the story.
As long as Yokota isn't allowed to ever go anywhere near an FE game ever again.

>the other current FE director has been with Intelligent Systems since the Advance Wars days
>my face when

CokSu4J.jpg

He's trapped in this hell deep, and cannot scream.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Congrats on 200 pages guys! I've been re-watching the Smash 4 trailers and I always remember some of those characters had the distinct art style of that particular series (Little Mac, Lucina/Robin, Palutena). Would you guys be in favor of an Issac trailer done in art style of the Golden Sun official art? It would be a great tribute to the Golden Sun fans and the original Golden Sun artist that passed away recently.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace

>the other current FE director has been with Intelligent Systems since the Advance Wars days
>my face when

View attachment 159639

The GBA FE games had the best story IMO.

Idk, I guess GBA games just have good quality.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Congrats on 200 pages guys! I've been re-watching the Smash 4 trailers and I always remember some of those characters had the distinct art style of that particular series (Little Mac, Lucina/Robin, Palutena). Would you guys be in favor of a trailer done in art style of the Golden Sun official art? It would be a great tribute to the Golden Sun fans and the original Golden Sun artist that passed away recently.
The official character art is super good. If I got to see Smash characters like Shulk and Marth moving around in that style, I'd be all for it. I do expect CGI, though, since it seems that individual artstyles are being used for the newcomer posters like Inkling's.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Congrats on 200 pages guys! I've been re-watching the Smash 4 trailers and I always remember some of those characters had the distinct art style of that particular series (Little Mac, Lucina/Robin, Palutena). Would you guys be in favor of an Issac trailer done in art style of the Golden Sun official art? It would be a great tribute to the Golden Sun fans and the original Golden Sun artist that passed away recently.
That would be very cool if they did! But even in 3D goodness like Ridley, K.Rool and Castlevania style trailers would be just as good. Or both?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

>my face when

View attachment 159639

That's strange that you would say that. Wasn't the director of Xenoblade 1 and 2?

Those were pretty ****ing great games if i'm being fair.-

*Honestly, this might be a pipedream, but since Octopath travler is now prompting every JRPG to be ported to switch...

Will we get a GS remake from Camelot?

Ah, who am i kidding, Capcom might just make a Breath of Fire 6 before Camelot makes anything golden sun related.

And to those who are typing that there is a BoF6, please. I'd much pretend that PoS didn't exist. A mobile cashgrab is far from worthy of the title of the sixth entry.

Preference by StoicSeraphim

View attachment 159640
F R E S H

M E M E S.

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
Bayo was never a number 1 pick, that was a lie. We all know Bayo did not win the ballot.

I am so excited for 3 houses. I really hope they fix the story.

I just want to see Felix strike down Isaac and remove his mask. That would be a wet dream
True Bayo never won, but that still leaves the question of who is the most requested character in Europe.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's strange that you would say that. Wasn't the director of Xenoblade 1 and 2?

Those were pretty ****ing great games if i'm being fair.-

*Honestly, this might be a pipedream, but since Octopath travler is now prompting every JRPG to be ported to switch...

Will we get a GS remake from Camelot?

Ah, who am i kidding, Capcom might just make a Breath of Fire 6 before Camelot makes anything golden sun related.

And to those who are typing that there is a BoF6, please. I'd much pretend that PoS didn't exist. A mobile cashgrab is from the title of the sixth entry.
No, that's Koh Kojima on those (with Tetsuya Takahashi as general director on 1). Xenoblade 2 does have its detractors, so it's 50/50 on general consensus.

That said, current Camelot seems burnt-out from its Mario games, so I think they wouldn't try unless Isaac's return in Smash is extremely positive.

View attachment 159640
This is pretty great. Are you StoicSeraphim? There's other great pieces on the Twitter account, from what I can see.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Xenoblade 2 does have its detractors, so it's 50/50 on general consensus.

That said, current Camelot seems burnt-out from its Mario games, so I think they wouldn't try unless Isaac's return in Smash is extremely positive.
EVERY ENTRY AFTER 1 HAS HAD A 50/50 IN GENERAL CONSENSUS.

Water is wet.

Bah humbug. a GS or BoF would be great rn.

Last edited:

Eagle

Smash Lord
Hooray for 200+ pages! It's great to see so much support being shown for our Golden Boy.

I've seen a few comments on Sakurai's tweet and I'd hate to be a debbie downer but my 2 cents on Sakurai's tweet is of trepidation.

First, remove Golden Sun from the equation completely and consider the messenger and the intended audience. So, could Sakurai be paying homage to JRPGs in general and if so, would the audience understand that intended message? I'm certain the answer is yes, that Sakurai could see what a good shot it was and that the people that saw it thought it was a great shot because it catches the essence of a lot of the video games we enjoy. The fact that it resembles Golden Sun in this case is just unfortunate because it could be building false hope (much like when Isaac's AT was missing all throughout Smash 4's content reveals.)

Secondly, the angle of the shot. I know that the angle is awfully reminiscent of the Golden Sun games but if we consider how the angle came to be in the first place I think it's more logical that it's a coincidence. We know that Smash is played in 2D, so by having 3 fighters (Link, Marth, and Shulk) standing one behind the other, the only way to take a shot that made it appear as if they were all standing side by side and simultaneously giving a good view of Rathalos was to angle it that very specific way.

I'd written a final paragraph but it's not really argumentative and it felt like I was running around pushing people off the Isaac hype-train. I hope he get's in boys, I really do. We've waited long enough. Don't smite me with the wrath of the golden sun, please. I have just seen few Golden Sun fans try to look at the tweet as unbiased as they could and I wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
The official character art is super good. If I got to see Smash characters like Shulk and Marth moving around in that style, I'd be all for it. I do expect CGI, though, since it seems that individual artstyles are being used for the newcomer posters like Inkling's.
That would be very cool if they did! But even in 3D goodness like Ridley, K.Rool and Castlevania style trailers would be just as good. Or both?
I expect a CGI trailer as well. Issac will look great in either fashion.

View attachment 159640
I prefer Issac's rendition of this meme over the Drake original.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Secondly, the angle of the shot. I know that the angle is awfully reminiscent of the Golden Sun games but if we consider how the angle came to be in the first place I think it's more logical that it's a coincidence. We know that Smash is played in 2D, so by having 3 fighters (Link, Marth, and Shulk) standing one behind the other, the only way to take a shot that made it appear as if they were all standing side by side and simultaneously giving a good view of Rathalos was to angle it that very specific way.
I mean, he could have had them stand in a line couldn't he? Or one of them jumping while the other two run towards rathalos? I think there were many possible angles he could have chose from, it just seems too convenient that he chose this angle for it to be a coincidence

Also if sakurai wanted to I'm sure he could have rotated the camera angle (the way you do in the pause menu) and get a shot that fits all of them

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I'd hate to be a debbie downer, but my 2 cents on Sakurai's tweet is of trepidation.

First, remove Golden Sun from the equation completely and consider the messenger and the intended audience. So, could Sakurai could be paying homage to JRPGs in general and if so, would the audience understand that intended message? I'm certain the answer is yes, that Sakurai could see what a good shot it was and that the people that saw it thought it was a great shot because it catches the essence of a lot of the video games we enjoy. The fact that it resembles Golden Sun in this case is just unfortunate because it could be building false hope (much like when Isaac's AT was missing all throughout Smash 4's content reveals.)

I'd written a final paragraph but it's not really argumentative and it felt like I was running around pushing people off the Isaac hype-train. I hope he get's in boys, I really do. We've waited long enough. Don't smite me with the wrath of the golden sun, please. I have just seen few Golden Sun fans try to look at the tweet as unbiased as they could and I wanted to share my thoughts on the matter.
I agree. I'm highly skeptical about that Tweet. I was worried at first that it'd make us look like tinfoil hat theorists, but it seemed to be a net positive in the end, because Isaac has gotten tons of attention over the past few weeks, and lots of new and old fans vocalizing their support for him. I don't think it looks much like the Monster Hunter box art, but it really could just be a homage to those games. Who knows, it might even be a hint for a hunter or something instead of Isaac.

I think the reason we hold on so dearly to that Tweet is because we have literally nothing else to give us hope. We speculate on ballot results, but no one knows for sure that Isaac was high enough to become the next character. It feels that way, especially since he's pretty much the runner up to K. Rool on all fan polls, even beating him on a few. Finally though, here's something straight from the horse's mouth, and it looks like it might be a real hint. I think everyone here just wants to be confident that Isaac is finally going to be in. Me, personally, I won't believe that he's in until I see it. I can hope and dream though, and nothing will make me stop doing that, ever.

I don't think anyone here is going to smite you, ngl. This thread is full of pretty accepting people. Not all of us are all that optimistic about Isaac's chances, anyways. Not to be a downer either, but I would still put him at under 40% personally. Maybe I just don't want to build up my hopes too high, only to have them come crashing down if things don't work out; that's what happened to me back in 2015.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio

Eagle

Smash Lord
I mean, he could have had them stand in a line couldn't he? Or one of them jumping while the other two run towards rathalos? I think there were many possible angles he could have chose from, it just seems too convenient that he chose this angle for it to be a coincidence

Also if sakurai wanted to I'm sure he could have rotated the camera angle (the way you do in the pause menu) and get a shot that fits all of them
Yes but I think the path of least resistance here is just having everyone stand still with the Rathalos AT out and pressing pause, then turning to get the shot that they did. What do you mean stand in a line? As in stacked above each other? Because the shot is with them standing in a line, just with a manipulated angle so that they appear to be standing side by side.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
What is your favorite
GS Weapon?
Psynergy?
Summon?
I always loved the look of the Cloud Brand, but my favorite weapon release comes from the Darksword in Acheron's Grief with Fire Brand's Purgatory pretty close. Megiddo is class of its own imho.
As far as Psynergy, this one is difficult because it's actually really difficult to see all of them in the game unless you swap djinn around a bunch. Seriously, if you ever look at a complete list, you would question if you even played the same game. I'd probably choose Liquifier.
Best summon for me is Daedalus because who doesn't love a giant ancient mech that shoots rockets? Plus it comes with a ton of utility in fights with Dullahan and other secret bosses being so unique with it's delayed impact.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Yes but I think the path of least resistance here is just having everyone stand still with the Rathalos AT out and pressing pause, then turning to get the shot that they did. What do you mean stand in a line? As in stacked above each other? Because the shot is with them standing in a line, just with a manipulated angle so that they appear to be standing side by side.
Oh you're right I just had a look at the picture, they are definitely standing in a line. It's definitely possible for the angle to be either a coincidence or intentional but time will tell :)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True Bayo never won, but that still leaves the question of who is the most requested character in Europe.
Actually, it could still be the same. Bayo still could've been the most requested among realizable characters. It just wouldn't be why she actually got in Smash. So exactly what was said.

The issue is everybody thought the ballot was going to be used to choose a DLC character. To the point they made a white lie to make it sound like Bayo won(which isn't accurate) to curb the annoyance of her being in(as she wasn't remotely as iconic as the other 3rd parties playable).

Anyway, I want to see Isaac's costumes also come with different weapon designs. He has more than one major Heavy Blade to use, after all. A recolor, really, would be neat.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I agree. I'm highly skeptical about that Tweet. I was worried at first that it'd make us look like tinfoil hat theorists, but it seemed to be a net positive in the end, because Isaac has gotten tons of attention over the past few weeks, and lots of new and old fans vocalizing their support for him. I don't think it looks much like the Monster Hunter box art, but it really could just be a homage to those games. Who knows, it might even be a hint for a hunter or something instead of Isaac.

I think the reason we hold on so dearly to that Tweet is because we have literally nothing else to give us hope. We speculate on ballot results, but no one knows for sure that Isaac was high enough to become the next character. It feels that way, especially since he's pretty much the runner up to K. Rool on all fan polls, even beating him on a few. Finally though, here's something straight from the horse's mouth, and it looks like it might be a real hint. I think everyone here just wants to be confident that Isaac is finally going to be in. Me, personally, I won't believe that he's in until I see it. I can hope and dream though, and nothing will make me stop doing that, ever.

I don't think anyone here is going to smite you, ngl. This thread is full of pretty accepting people. Not all of us are all that optimistic about Isaac's chances, anyways. Not to be a downer either, but I would still put him at under 40% personally. Maybe I just don't want to build up my hopes too high, only to have them come crashing down if things don't work out; that's what happened to me back in 2015.
Yeah, that's why I'm not all that upset at the idea of the Tweet being a coincidence (which I can't in good faith say isn't a strong possibility), because Sakurai would have to notice a lot of attention and hype being given to Isaac. Of course, I wonder if that hope and hype will even matter if Isaac gets AT'd again. I want to believe that a DLC push could still matter even if he was placed back into that role.

I think there's a lot of potential circumstantial evidence that could literally be points for or against Isaac since many "hints" or "reasonings" for characters have been pretty vague and riddled with alternative possibilities. That's why I don't expect him but would put his chances at 50%. It literally feels like a topsy-turvy world that could flip any which way.

You know how when you pause in a Smash game, you're directly facing the background and there's no sense of 3D depth? To me, the characters could all stand next to each other in a straight line (from their perspective, they'd be in front of each other in a vertical line). That'd be the standard Smash camera without adjusting the angle. You could easily fit Link, Marth, Shulk, and Rathalos in the picture this way if you zoomed out a little bit.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It's very encouraging that we've been able to reach 200 Pages since the Direct earlier this month, and things are still looking good for us! More people coming to show their support for Isaac and more discussion here is always good to see, and here's hoping that we see the Golden Sun over the horizon with Isaac finally joining as a playable fighter in Ultimate!

Eagle

Smash Lord
You know how when you pause in a Smash game, you're directly facing the background and there's no sense of 3D depth? To me, the characters could all stand next to each other in a straight line (from their perspective, they'd be in front of each other in a vertical line). That'd be the standard Smash camera without adjusting the angle. You could easily fit Link, Marth, Shulk, and Rathalos in the picture this way if you zoomed out a little bit.
Yes, they could have taken that shot instead but I don't think the fact that Sakurai or whoever took the photo chose to change the angle means that it's now a Golden Sun reference is all. I mean, anyone that pauses to take photos will manipulate the angle. The one that we got could have started by framing Rathalos first, then realising that the fighters could be adjusted to look as if they were standing by one another.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Yeah there are a lot of angles to potentially choose from. To me it also seems like the image is cropped too much from the right (shulk's side) in comparison to other screenshots on the smash website. It just really seems to me that something/someone is being hidden on the right side in that screenshot...

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hooray for 200+ pages! It's great to see so much support being shown for our Golden Boy.

I've seen a few comments on Sakurai's tweet and I'd hate to be a debbie downer but my 2 cents on Sakurai's tweet is of trepidation.

First, remove Golden Sun from the equation completely and consider the messenger and the intended audience. So, could Sakurai be paying homage to JRPGs in general and if so, would the audience understand that intended message? I'm certain the answer is yes, that Sakurai could see what a good shot it was and that the people that saw it thought it was a great shot because it catches the essence of a lot of the video games we enjoy. The fact that it resembles Golden Sun in this case is just unfortunate because it could be building false hope (much like when Isaac's AT was missing all throughout Smash 4's content reveals.)

I agree. As much as this tweet has given me and many others hope, we have to be careful too.

With that said, every time I go back to that pic, more and more I keep seeing parallels to Isaac's inclusion. Maybe my mind is too clouded and I'm being delusional, but what makes this pic even more interesting is how it was organized.

We all talked about how Link and Isaac are the "Silent Hero", Marth and Garet are related to "Fire" in some shape or form, and Shulk and Ivan having a "Special Weapon and Power" only they have. But then someone mentioned how the three were introduced to the series in a way how your party in GS forms. Makes sense, Link=64, Marth=Melee, and Shulk=Wii U/3DS.

But wait?!? Why don't we have a Brawl rep? Not only Isaac would be perfect for that spot in the picture since he first appeared in Brawl as an AT, but the way Sakurai tweeted that pic was even more odd. He shows of the AT list, most likely to show where the pic is, but he really didn't need to do that. And the AT List is covering Shulk. As if it's trying to squeeze a certain AT in between Marth and Shulk? Hmm?????

Just something I observed in the pic. Of course, it's probably grasping at straws, but...THIS IS SAKURAI WE'RE TALKING ABOUT HERE! lol

alguidrag

Smash Ace
The GBA FE games had the best story IMO.

Idk, I guess GBA games just have good quality.
I would agree if FE genealogy of the holy war didn't exist, that thing is just perfection, but yeah if we are saying about world wide FE GBA era have the best for sure

[EDIT]
People still speaking about the Rathalos thing? I thought we had alredy decided that only time will tell, and if it was a real hint or not, it rose Isaac in the Smash fanbase, since now people see him as a potential fighter/threat now is just we wait, and hope until the next direct

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

This just focuses on the angle point. There's still another coincidence that makes it eerie. The fact that it's Link, Marth, Shulk in the order that they debuted in Smash with only the 'Brawl' slot missing as if the characters were deliberately set in that order. Sakurai's a big FE fan as well so the picture could have easily had Marth and Ike in it, or Meta Knight. Either way, like how fans see the resemblance, no way Sakurai or others working on the game wouldn't have brought up the resemblance either. It's not as if Sakurai wouldn't have any idea of Golden Sun.

Also a bit further back in the thread I posted an interview about how Sakurai says he's careful about what he tweets cause he knows he has fanboys that follow him that pick up on things so I don't see Sakurai tweeting this picture out all willy nilly even if we say it wasn't in reference to Golden Sun cause the fact of the matter is that there would be people who would think it is, so he'd either post something different (like a Kirby pic for instance), or just state the website is updating without a picture since it seems like up until that point he never posted screenshots anyways.

But yeah I don't think anyone is looking at the tweet as the only sole evidence but I like that it's something that came from Sakurai himself, vs clinging onto fake leaks or looking for items and colors that resemble Golden Sun. Either way people will say Isaac's supporters are grasping at straws, cause a heck of a lot of people seem to hate Isaac lol.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
But yeah I don't think anyone is looking at the tweet as the only sole evidence but I like that it's something that came from Sakurai himself, vs clinging onto fake leaks or looking for items and colors that resemble Golden Sun. Either way people will say Isaac's supporters are grasping at straws, cause a heck of a lot of people seem to hate Isaac lol.
Well... most of the people that hate Isaac don't really hate Isaac
90% just fear that he "steal" the place of their favorite newcomer or just hate his sword

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I'd also like to point out a rebuttal that i've seen floating around.

A thing i've heard is that since Marth and Link are playable in MH games, Shulk content will be teased next.

1. Would Xenoblade really fit MH's aesthetic?
2. HOW IN THE HELL WOULD SAKURAI KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO BE THE NEXT MH CONTENT?! He's not even with Nintendo officially anymore. He runs his own company at SORA ltd. While he's an important figure in the Nintendo Community, he doesn't have access to whatever is going on behind the scenes at Nintendo besides his own operation he's running.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Honestly it's probably just a MH reference. Who knows if Isaac will be in the game at all. I'm not gonna rely on a very sketchy theory for hope, it's just too dangerous.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Congrats on the 200 pages everyone~
Also, anyone has heard about the supposed direct leak? I read a bit but couldn't find the info back when I looked this afternoon (it was in 4chan) It says we are getting a Switch direct on September 12 (Which honestly doesn't sound too far fetched for me since last year we had a Nindies at the end of August and then a general direct on September).
Opinions?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Congrats on the 200 pages everyone~
Also, anyone has heard about the supposed direct leak? I read a bit but couldn't find the info back when I looked this afternoon (it was in 4chan) It says we are getting a Switch direct on September 12 (Which honestly doesn't sound too far fetched for me since last year we had a Nindies at the end of August and then a general direct on September).
Opinions?
Eh, 50/50 on it being real.

Top Bottom