• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Jibanyan, for reallll? lol

at least this doesn't reflect smash ballot results, its too recent

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I hear from my friends that converting FE to the Pokémon method of splitting up content into 2 games hurt the overall quality.
Let's just say that the fact the games were designed and written by multiple, highly separated teams at the same time in order to increase the scale and surpass expectations before the game's launch, presumably without running all of their decisions by the other teams...

Shows.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Let's just say that the fact the games were designed and written by multiple, highly separated teams at the same time in order to increase the scale and surpass expectations before the game's launch, presumably without running all of their decisions by the other teams...

Shows.
so is fates really that bad of a game? I still have mine sealed so maybe I can sell it or trade it for echoes

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Shows.
Truly, a waste of everyone's time.

BillyBat

Smash Rookie

The results are in! Japan has decided their top 5 most desired characters for Smash Ultimate!

1. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
2. Rex (Xenoblade)
3. Spring Man (ARMS)
4. Mimikyu (Pokemon)
5. Jibanyan (Yokai Watch)

No Isaac insight, but I know he polled better in US and Europe!
Never knew Jibanyan had such a following?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

The results are in! Japan has decided their top 5 most desired characters for Smash Ultimate!

2. Rex (Xenoblade)
3. Spring Man (ARMS)
4. Mimikyu (Pokemon)

I really want to see the top 50 so we can have a good idea where Isaac and other characters have placed. Rex and Pyra's inclusion means this should be at least a poll conducted from 2017 which wouldn't match the ballot
I've been wanting Isaac (and Shadow, and Viewtiful Joe, and Amaterasu) since Brawl. Count me in!

Oh gods, please no.
Yokai Watch is huge in Japan which explains it

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

2. Rex (Xenoblade)
3. Spring Man (ARMS)
4. Mimikyu (Pokemon)

The first three I can understand, but Jibanyan? Really?

Of course, I've never played Yokai Watch so I really don't have any say.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yikes, does the audience of that magazine really have that much recency bias? I mean, I get wanting hype new faces, but #2-4 are all characters from the last year or two.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
damn, the dialogue is that bad eh?
It's way too much to explain it all. Characters are inconsistent, the plot is contrived and full of conveniences, most of the characters are written as one-dimensional memes, the game endlessly panders to the player in cringy ways, the game is poorly paced, the kingdoms are portrayed as pure good and evil respectively with no moral ambiguity or grey area, everyone is a mindless puppet, a generic cartoon villain, or exists to validate the player, many of the supports are much more boring than Awakening...

But you can pet your waifus cheek I guess.

Play it for the turned-based strategy, gameplay improvements over older games, and great music. And try to take the game's promising concept and main idea, and write your own narrative for it. Because the game's actual writers really botched it up.

I actually think that a Fates re-written by talented fans could be the best Fire Emblem game.

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
It's way too much to explain it all. Characters are inconsistent, the plot is contrived and full of conveniences, most of the characters are written as one-dimensional memes, the game endlessly panders to the player in cringy ways, the game is poorly paced, the kingdoms are portrayed as pure good and evil respectively with no moral ambiguity or grey area, everyone is a mindless puppet, a generic cartoon villain, or exists to validate the player, many of the supports are much more boring than Awakening...

Play it for the turned-based strategy, gameplay improvements over older games, and great music. And try to take the game's promising concept and main idea, and write your own narrative for it. Because the game's actual writers really botched it up.

I actually think that a Fates re-written by talented fans could be the best Fire Emblem game.
Yikes, its a good thing I still have to finish awakening before I get to that lol

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I actually didn't hate Conquest or even Birthright, but Revelation just took every problem those two had and dialed it up to 11.

As a more casual player, I didn't even mind the support / "shipping simulator" aspects of Awakening, but they really overdid it in Fates to an astonishing degree. The "petting" / "blowing the heat off" part? Was that part even written by a human?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yikes, does the audience of that magazine really have that much recency bias? I mean, I get wanting hype new faces, but #2-4 are all characters from the last year or two.
Well, the thing with older characters that aren't still getting new games is that they get forgotten by the masses. Sure they've still got tons of fans but think about it. What does a Japanese kid like more, A character from before they were born, or a character they know?

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
The first three I can understand, but Jibanyan? Really?

Of course, I've never played Yokai Watch so I really don't have any say.
Yokai Watch is pretty popular in Japan.

Can't say about the rest of the world.

Sounds like the whole idea of splitting it into 3 games was to generate more revenue, and while that might've worked in short term, it won't work well long term.

I actually didn't hate Conquest or even Birthright, but Revelation just took every problem those two had and dialed it up to 11.

As a more casual player, I didn't even mind the support / "shipping simulator" aspects of Awakening, but they really overdid it in Fates to an astonishing degree. The "petting" / "blowing the heat off" part? Was that part even written by a human?
LMAO.

As much as I love Rex and Pyra, I think the game's mechanics and the relaventcy of the characters hurt their chances given how we've gone with the poll so far, and it's much too fast for characters that's come from a slow, methodical RPG.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
I would find a lot funny if we have the "Palutena and Pit talk" in this smash too, and for Isaac
Pit:Hey... I alredy see this blond guy somewhere
Palutena: Oh he is Isaac, he was a AT in brawl
Pit:Oh yeah the hand's guy, man I missed him last time... where he was again?
Viridi: Dunno, but I like this guy... he is really good with plants... I wonder if he is a nature protector or something.
Paluna: His name is Isaac and he is a Venus adept
Pit: Venus what?
Palutena: Venus adept! He is like a earth-based mage swordsman, he can manipulate the earth, create plants and even spectrals hands and swords
Viridi:Whoa, I need him in my army, he would be perfect
Pit: Earth to Viridi... and she is just looking to him.
Palutena: Well... sadly to her Isaac's is taken, he even brought his girlfriend to take his place as a AT
Pit: Oh the new Fire Mage girl right? Man Viridi will not like this...
Palutena: Just focus on the fight, I will speak with her latter

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I would find a lot funny if we have the "Palutena and Pit talk" in this smash too, and for Isaac
Viridi: Dunno, but I like this guy... he is really good with plants... I wonder if he is a nature protector or something.
Palutena: Venus adept! He is like a earth-based mage swordsman, he can manipulate the earth, create plants and even spectrals hands and swords
Palutena: Well... sadly to her Isaac's is taken, he even brought his girlfriend to take his place as a AT
Since Snake is back, I don't think they'll use Palutena and Pit more, instead replacing it with codecs.

Smash Lord
I can easily see Viridi taking a liking to Isaac (I don't ship them though, Isaac is a married man)

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I mean, given what we know of the project plan timing, Rex & Pyra and Spring Man have very low chances anyway. I do think they're shoe-ins for DLC, though.

And both Shadow Moses and Palutena's Temple are back. I could see us getting updated versions of both, or perhaps some new one (my favorite idea I heard was Gruntilda mocking the players if Banjo & Kazooie make it in).

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Honestly, I don't see Palutena's messages returning, as they were only meant a day replacements for codecs.

Besides, they still have to rerecord lines to make sure no voice clip sounds outta place.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
One of my hopes in a new Golden Sun is that they don't put the waifu focus up to 11 like Fates did.
I mean, female characters with attractive or appealing designs make a game more endearing usually, even to a married guy like me. I used to think Jenna was one of the most attractive female characters I'd ever seen in a game back when I was 10 or so and Golden Sun came out along with it's artwork.

Many of the girls in Fates have nice designs, and courting your favorite character in a game is a neat idea that can work fine. Fates just decided to focus on weird face petting minigames accompanied by cringy music, or uneventful bikini-clad dips in a hot spring together for no other reason than to focus on low-poly half naked people, rather than actual romance and sweet interactions on and off the battlefield.

If a Golden Sun game ever went for this idea, I would hope they would handle it with more grace.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't see Palutena's messages returning, as they were only meant a day replacements for codecs.

Besides, they still have to rerecord lines to make sure no voice clip sounds outta place.
Yeah the DLC characters never had new lines, even when they got the Kid Icarus actors back for Bayonetta's trailer

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I mean, female characters with attractive or appealing designs make a game more endearing usually, even to a married guy like me. I used to think Jenna was one of the most attractive female characters I'd ever seen in a game back when I was 10 or so and Golden Sun came out along with it's artwork.

Many of the girls in Fates have nice designs, and courting your favorite character in a game is a neat idea what can work fine. Fates just decided to focus on weird face petting accompanied by cringy music, or uneventful bikini clad dips in a hot spring together for no other reason than to focus on low-poly half naked people, rather than actual romance and sweet interactions on and off the battlefield.

If a Golden Sun game ever went for this idea, I would hope they would handle it with more grace.
Yeah, in theory that sort of thing is great and is something that can make a lot of people happy. In practice, developers almost always go too far with it, getting into creepy/cringy territory real quick.

And I wouldn't be so sure, XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX , Kid Icarus is Sakurai's other baby after all. If anything, you'd need to rerecord stuff with Snake, as there's been way more characters since then and quality-wise it probably sounds a bit outdated.

Last edited:

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
Pit in ultimate about smash 4 dlc characters: Hey lady Palutena, got any info on these fighters this time?
palutena: I would have thought you'd learn something considering you've fought before

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
One of my hopes in a new Golden Sun is that they don't put the waifu focus up to 11 like Fates did.
"Only those of the Mercury Clan can enter this place. However, I sense something special about you. I feel that I can trust you!"
"(Want to give a present?)"

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah, in theory that sort of thing is great and is something that can make a lot of people happy. In practice, developers almost always go too far with it, getting into creepy/cringy territory real quick.

And I wouldn't be so sure, XenoWarriorX XenoWarriorX , Kid Icarus is Sakurai's other baby after all. If anything, you'd need to rerecord stuff with Snake, as there's been way more characters since then and quality-wise it probably sounds a bit outdated.
I was meaning they would rerecord snakes lines.-

Besides, it was a cool thing seeing a 3rd party character analyzing a character like Mario in a "super-serious" and "campy" manner.

Besides overall preferring codecs, David almost never gets to play snake. :(

Last edited:

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice

Besides, it was a cool thing seeing a 3rd party character analyzing a character like Mario in a "super-serious" and "campy" manner.

David is best snake, he's the only snake that matters,

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Well we will have something in this manner, and I hope that is Palutena guidance again I would LOVE Viridi's reaction to Isaac, just to be shot down by Palutena when she say that he fought a Tree

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Well we will have something in this manner, and I hope that is Palutena guidance again I would LOVE Viridi's reaction to Isaac, just to be shot down by Palutena when she say that he fought a Tree
But it's okay, he didn't kill the tree, he actually saved it

Smash Lord

I heard the Japanese actor for the General passed away so they may do the newer ones with only Ocelot and Mei Ling

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't meaning they would rerecord snakes lines.-

Besides, David almost never gets to play snake. :(
Oh I agree, I was speaking in terms of likelihood. Given the choice, I'd pick Snake codecs every day of the week. Especially hearing how he'd react to some of the wackier characters.

[Greninja] "That's... its tongue?"
[Inkling] "So which is it? A kid or a squid?"
[Pac-Man] "I don't even know where to start with this thing..."
[Bayonetta] "That's her hair?!"

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace

2. Rex (Xenoblade)
3. Spring Man (ARMS)
4. Mimikyu (Pokemon)

Oh, for Iris's sake, Japan. What kind of list is this?!

I seriously hope Sakurai isn't giving the japanese fans any kind of preference. :glare:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I loved Kid Icarus Uprising, so I enjoyed the Guidance bits. I've never played any Metal Gear games, but I liked Snake's reactions to the cast. I'm fine with either one coming back personally.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I heard the Japanese actor for the General passed away so they may do the newer ones with only Ocelot and Mei Ling
THAts a shame.
Oh, for Iris's sake, Japan. What kind of list is this?!

I seriously hope Sakurai isn't giving the japanese fans any kind of preference. :glare:
Remember, Ashley was on one of Japan's favorites.
She's an assist trophy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom