• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Yeah maybe we could get something in September. NateDrake made some pretty poor assumptions which misled everyone that the real direct would be this week so I'll take his words with more scepticism than before from now on

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, do we still hold stock that a first-party based Direct could still be happening this week, or...?
Maybe? The leakers were saying the 28th and not today, and Nate said it's a general would be announced on the 27th, and a mini if shadowdropped. I'll give him a chance, but if the 28th comes and goes I'll be done with him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey a Billybae10K Billybae10K ! Do you ever plan to bring back Rate Their Chances on your YouTube channel? If you have things going on in your life I understand, but watching your Smash videos during this drought would be swell.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think the Partner’s Showcase says anything about whether we’ll have a full direct this week. For all we know, Nintendo just wanted to get all the small announcements out of the way.

Plus the insiders specifically said the 28th. So until that date passes, I’m gonna believe Nintendo has something to show for that day.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
If media folk were talking about a bonafide Nintendo Direct on Friday, I really don't think this Partner Showcase has anything to do with it. Again, Nintendo is well overdue for announcing their holiday lineup, and even the biggest games of this Showcase feel like "on the bubble" announcements that may have been cut for time from a full Direct. Not to say they couldn't have delayed their plans, but I'll be surprised if we don't get a Direct announcement sometime tomorrow.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Hey a Billybae10K Billybae10K ! Do you ever plan to bring back Rate Their Chances on your YouTube channel? If you have things going on in your life I understand, but watching your Smash videos during this drought would be swell.
I've probably answered this question more times than I care to count at this point, so forgive my bluntness, but no, I won't be going back to Rate Their Chances. I honestly wish I had just stopped after Season 1, once the base-roster was released, because predicting DLC fighters just felt like milking the series for all that it was worth.

I can't, in good conscience, release any more episodes when I don't have the motivation, drive or desire to research the current climate/trends in the Smash Community. There are tons of other creators who are doing their own Rate Their Chances variants, so I'd suggest checking their content out if you're looking for something to pass the time in the drought.

I'm just here for Isaac now, just like I was when I made my first Isaac video.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
so puyo puyo tetris 2 was alright I guess

this is just getting ridiculous though
If we didn’t have all these insiders agreeing on something big from Nintendo on Friday...then I would be annoyed by this Partner Showcase. BUT, unless Friday passes and we get nothing...then this recent showcase was fine imo.

Edit: It does suck that insiders are the only reason I’m not frustrated with Nintendo right now. Lol

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
So, do we still hold stock that a first-party based Direct could still be happening this week, or...?
Nate says this is the Direct he had been hinting at. Grubb takes this as vindication for him noting that we should tone down expectations previously, but also mentions that this Direct lacked third-party announcements he heard were coming this week, so he is unsure. So, let's just assume nothing else is coming this week and be pleasantly surprised if it does happen?

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Nate says this is the Direct he had been hinting at. Grubb takes this as vindication for him noting that we should tone down expectations previously, but also mentions that this Direct lacked third-party announcements he heard were coming this week, so he is unsure. So, let's just assume nothing else is coming this week and be pleasantly surprised if it does happen?
Yeah I just checked his Twitter and he is saying this was the direct he heard about...sigh

We are once again stuck in this limbo of knowing nothing about Nintendo’s first party games to end the year. This is truly irritating

amageish

Smash Master
Didn't somebody a while ago say that Nintendo might not being doing regular directs again until September?
Yeah, that was Jeff Grubb back in the pre-not-E3-period when he was compiling lists of every presentation over the Summer... He supported the notion of something from Nintendo this week too, though with more wavering on how big of a presentation it would be then most other insiders.

We are once again stuck in this limbo of knowing nothing about Nintendo’s first party games to end the year. This is truly irritating
It does kind of feel like a General Direct is a mirage that constantly is on the horizon but never actually comes. There is always a Direct coming "probably in the next couple weeks," but the Direct never actually comes.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so, I strongly believe Nintendo is going to keep the trend from the past 3 or so years of having a direct in September with the announcements from Fall to Spring. And I seriously hope so, I really don't like this "going in blind" trend Nintendo has fallen back to this year, I thought they'd have learnt from Wii U. I can't believe Pikmin 3 port is the only thing in the horizon in terms of first party

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I really fail to understand Nintendo's reasoning for this long drought. If there are delays, just tell us. I think most people will be disappointed, but everyone will understand considering the circumstances. If there aren't delays, then what the heck's going on? We should have had a presentation at E3 months ago - a presentation that I can't believe only had this third party stuff to show.

Why split it all up, why make us wait? Fans are ravenous for information in a way that if we're just getting some footage of things we already "know about" (i.e Breath of the Wild 2, the rumored Mario anniversary game, the Metroid game) then many people are going to be super disappointed and upset that we waited this long for, I don't know, scraps I guess? I know those are big games, and they would make a lot of people happy, but it's not new information (Mario technically would be). It's nothing that should be delaying things at the very least.

It's like they're backing themselves into a corner; the longer they wait the more we're going to expect and the more likely it's going to blow up in their face if they don't deliver. I get Nintendo plays by their own rules, but man it's just wild seeing things play out like this. This isn't even just about Golden Sun - just in general Nintendo is making some baffling decisions to me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I really fail to understand Nintendo's reasoning for this long drought. If there are delays, just tell us. I think most people will be disappointed, but everyone will understand considering the circumstances. If there aren't delays, then what the heck's going on? We should have had a presentation at E3 months ago - a presentation that I can't believe only had this third party stuff to show.

Why split it all up, why make us wait? Fans are ravenous for information in a way that if we're just getting some footage of things we already "know about" (i.e Breath of the Wild 2, the rumored Mario anniversary game, the Metroid game) then many people are going to be super disappointed and upset that we waited this long for, I don't know, scraps I guess? I know those are big games, and they would make a lot of people happy, but it's not new information (Mario technically would be). It's nothing that should be delaying things at the very least.

It's like they're backing themselves into a corner; the longer they wait the more we're going to expect and the more likely it's going to blow up in their face if they don't deliver. I get Nintendo plays by their own rules, but man it's just wild seeing things play out like this. This isn't even just about Golden Sun - just in general Nintendo is making some baffling decisions to me.
Nintendo marches to the beat of it's own drum, for better or for worse. Plus, it's a company in a traditional region of an already traditionalist country. I suppose it makes sense that they'd be slow to adapt.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
While I respect people's difference of opinions, I think coming in and literally starting with stuff like "your dead series" or however it was worded, is [...]
Oh please. "your dead series" is not what I said, and I am at LEAST as big a fan of GS (maybe more) as you or any of the others in this thread going back to the day it came out in america. I posted because I was taken aback by how indisputably you were all talking about an upcoming release for the series. I wasn't the one here who introduced any hostility to the thread.

I love talking about golden sun and I want Camelot/nintendo to know there are fans who want more games, but if you are so single-mindedly dedicated to putting on a happy face that your thread gets hostile toward somebody for saying they genuinely think the series is dead then this thread is nothing more than a hugbox.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
I would add that at the time, there was nothing inherently wrong with wondering about whether Isaac's presence played a role in delaying a direct after an earthquake (which they obviously would have done if it had been the case)

...it only becomes problematic if people take glee in it.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo marches to the beat of it's own drum, for better or for worse. Plus, it's a company in a traditional region of an already traditionalist country. I suppose it makes sense that they'd be slow to adapt.
I suppose so, it's just there was once a before time where we got a couple directs a year, an E3, with treehouses and minis interspersed between. Once things were good, and information was shared with relative consistency. It feels like a step back, Covid or not.

To say nothing of the fact that we're nearing 2/3rds of the way through the year, and we only have one of our six Fighters for this new DLC even announced, let alone released. Didn't Sakurai say they were for sure going to have the six released by the end of 2021? How are they going to manage that at this point?

Oh please. "your dead series" is not what I said, and I am at LEAST as big a fan of GS (maybe more) as you or any of the others in this thread going back to the day it came out in america. I posted because I was taken aback by how indisputably you were all talking about an upcoming release for the series. I wasn't the one here who introduced any hostility to the thread.

I love talking about golden sun and I want Camelot/nintendo to know there are fans who want more games, but if you are so single-mindedly dedicated to putting on a happy face that your thread gets hostile toward somebody for saying they genuinely think the series is dead then this thread is nothing more than a hugbox.
Woooaaah friend, most of the people made clear they didn't mean to seem hostile towards you. I made my comment about skepticism to be supportive and deescalate before things came to something like that. Maybe you also didn't intend for this to come across as defensive and hostile, but it feels a little like an unnecessary escalation considering everyone was pretty chill about it in the end, including the person you quoted.

It's no big, everyone seems pretty much a-okay with skepticism. We're all just here to discuss a franchise close to our hearts. <3

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
everyone was pretty chill about it in the end, including the person you quoted.
I mean they put words in my mouth to try to frame me as an intruder troll. I think this thread just isn't for me since it seems too many people here are too sensitive to uncushioned doubts.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

That's true, you didn't say that. These are your words exactly:
Golden Sun is dead and I don't think it will ever be revived.
That's pretty cut and dry, don't you think?

None of us introduced any hostility either, rather, we expounded on why we thought GS returning was such a distinct possibility. I gave you our reasoning, it's up to you to decide if you want to believe it or not. If you don't, that's ok, and if you do, that's also ok. But I do ask that you engage in good faith and try to understand our reasoning as well as provide your own. That's what makes a productive discussion, not making claims then not backing them up. As I mentioned, you might have had a better response if instead of saying "Golden Sun is dead and I don't think it will ever be revived" you said something along of the lines of "I'm not so confident on the chances of Golden Sun returning, why is it you guys are so confident?" If you ask to understand, you'll get a positive response, you wouldn't be the first to do so.

And believe me, this place is not an echo chamber. It's gotten close, but we have more than our fair share of skeptics who remain in doubt, which is ok. What they do is respectfully disagree with others, and it keeps this place sane and chill.

I would add that at the time, there was nothing inherently wrong with wondering about whether Isaac's presence played a role in delaying a direct after an earthquake (which they obviously would have done if it had been the case)

...it only becomes problematic if people take glee in it.
Man, September 2018 was a bad time. The Direct was delayed, people were speculating Isaac, and it got bad around here. That's when I feel we got closest to an echo chamber, then add the Grinch Leak about a month later and most of us (certainly not all) became overconfident and looked like fools because of it. I think we've gotten a much healthier mindset since then, it's been very chill since later 2018/early 2019.

As for Nintendo's news this year... there's still a pandemic going on. Nintendo has said multiple times that the pandemic has impacted their work schedule, so there shouldn't be any confusion about that. My personal belief is that this year was already going to be a little on the dry side, but the pandemic worsened everything. On the bright side, 2021 should be awesome if all the 2020 games got pushed back and the 2021 games stayed mostly on-schedule.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...date_on_potential_game_delays_due_to_covid-19

That article says that game delays could occur if the pandemic continued, which it did since June. We can safely expect delays for upcoming games. As for the lack of information? I couldn't tell you. Marketing plans have been scrambled due to delays (you have to plan that stuff out months in advance) and it's highly likely Nintendo doesn't have access to 100% of its resources due to the pandemic. Is it disappointing? Yeah, of course. Is it frustrating? Yeah, it really is, especially when Sony and Microsoft are hyping up new consoles. But is it entirely unexpected and avoidable? I'd say no, it isn't. I want more Nintendo news as much as anyone else, but I've accepted that things have been delayed due to the pandemic and I think holding out hope for a massive holiday season would be setting yourself up for disappointment.

EDIT:
extremeturkey said:
I mean they put words in my mouth to try to frame me as an intruder troll. I think this thread just isn't for me since it seems too many people here are too sensitive to uncushioned doubts.
Hey now, that's misrepresenting the truth. We didn't put words in your mouth and saying "too many people here are too sensitive to uncushioned [sic] doubts" is aggressive and unnecessary. I've explained to you why we're confident, you ignored me. I explained beyond the trademarks, you ignored me. I tried giving you advice on how to interact with the thread, you ignored me then attacked the thread. I don't want to see a potential supporter go, but I also like my discussion threads healthy and chill.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I suppose so, it's just there was once a before time where we got a couple directs a year, an E3, with treehouses and minis interspersed between. Once things were good, and information was shared with relative consistency. It feels like a step back, Covid or not.

To say nothing of the fact that we're nearing 2/3rds of the way through the year, and we only have one of our six Fighters for this new DLC even announced, let alone released. Didn't Sakurai say they were for sure going to have the six released by the end of 2021? How are they going to manage that at this point?
2019 spoiled us. Starting from Three Houses was a rapid-fire release schedule just about every month, and so we all suffered massive withdrawal when the releases stopped. Given that it seems the Switch rises on odd years and falls on even years, I can't help but wonder if the situation would've been better or worse if COVID kicked in on an odd year.

I don't really understand the worries about the DLC schedule, though. We've still got a third of the year left to go; Just because they're not out now doesn't mean they won't be. Last year, Banjo released in September and Terry in November, and the amiibo hint at a similar schedule for at least CP7, perhaps a bit later. Going by FP1 logic, we'd get FP2 done half a year before it was slated to end. If we got it out at December 2021 exactly, that's still only an extra month in between. We can wait.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Late reply, but I wouldn't count on anything happening this week at all. That's just my personal opinion tho, not that I have info to base it on, I just don't expect it myself.

I'm not gonna rely on what insiders are saying for directs, as they have massively failed to nail the contents of every one of them lately… lol. I will just rely on expecting something in september as it has been tradition for all of these past years that we have a general direct in September to close the year, revealing holiday stuff and even next year stuff. Purely based on that tradition is why i will expect something.

Maybe next week? I dunno when they would do it, but I do know that the 4th is when one year will have passed since the last general direct……………yeeeah… we have reached that point u_u

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

It is weird to me as well particularly speaking of the partner showcase directs, I just don't understand why they presented them like that instead of all together considering plenty of the release dates were close (I mean, some of them release this week announcing them in July wouldn't make any harm with how close it was anyways). It seems to me that they are trying to give this false image that they are putting out lots of announcements, but they have been really short presentations with few content, except for the Indie World.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
As for Nintendo's news this year...
I guess they have, I've only heard the opposite that it's been smooth sailing except in manufacturing. I'd be fine with delays of the games themselves if they'd just announce them. I just want something to look forward to, whether or not it's late, you know?

2019 spoiled us. Starting from Three Houses was a rapid-fire release schedule just about every month, and so we all suffered massive withdrawal when the releases stopped. Given that it seems the Switch rises on odd years and falls on even years, I can't help but wonder if the situation would've been better or worse if COVID kicked in on an odd year.

I don't really understand the worries about the DLC schedule, though. We've still got a third of the year left to go; Just because they're not out now doesn't mean they won't be. Last year, Banjo released in September and Terry in November, and the amiibo hint at a similar schedule for at least CP7, perhaps a bit later. Going by FP1 logic, we'd get FP2 done half a year before it was slated to end. If we got it out at December 2021 exactly, that's still only an extra month in between. We can wait.
I guess it's mostly just the fact that we kind of have an extra fighter this time (I know the first one had Piranha Plant), and we're going on hope that things are still on track as they were with the first fighter's pass. Halfway through this year translates to 1/4 of the time they have to release characters, and we've only had 1/6th of them even announced, you know?

I wouldn't question it as much, personally, if Sakurai hadn't made - was it even a promise, I don't remember - that we'd get all six characters before the end of next year. It just feels like they're going to have to really cram them in there at some point.

I'm not a "potential supporter"

I am a supporter and have been since before Brawl. I just don't think this thread is for me.
If that's the case, then that's understandable. I'd only suggest you don't let an ultimately small incident or two blemish what could be a really good time for you here, if you give it a chance!

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I understand what you mean, but last year we had Banjo announced in June, so we have to consider that. I'd love for Sakurai to surprise us with announcement + release for FP7 but realistically, we've gotten the fighter announced and released later, so it would be important for the next fighter to be announced soon (I am hoping for the September direct, assuming we actually get one)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I understand what you mean, but last year we had Banjo announced in June, so we have to consider that. I'd love for Sakurai to surprise us with announcement + release for FP7 but realistically, we've gotten the fighter announced and released later, so it would be important for the next fighter to be announced soon (I am hoping for the September direct, assuming we actually get one)
Hey, look at it this way: So far, all the amiibo waves are accompanied by a new fighter. Joker and Hero's amiibo release around the September-October range, so assuming amiibo theory holds true, CP7 is only a couple months away, perhaps even less.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
It's just been such a long wait. A September Direct is always welcome, but we're also accustomed to an E3 Direct in June that we simply never got. On the other hand, publisher-specific presentations like EA and Ubisoft still happened, and while Sony and Microsoft had delays, it's been over a month since their game-filled, next-gen showcases. Nintendo, by comparison, has given us Origami King (cool game, not gonna lie), a Pikmin 3 re-release (also appreciated), and a whole bunch of relatively minor indie/third-party announcements. It's not nothing, but compared to what we normally expect, it sure feels like nothing. Add in speculation over titles like the Mario remasters (a five month old rumor, by the way), Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Smash DLC, and now even a possible Golden Sun HD, and the restlessness isn't just understandable, it should be expected.

Top Bottom