• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Can someone explaing me the whole trademark thing?
As best I can do right now, there's certainly more to add:

In August 2018, a trademark was applied for by Nintendo for "Golden Sun" in Japan. It was brand-new, not a renewal, which is important because that requires "proof of usage", or something the company will actually use the trademark for. This trademark became accepted and put into effect sometime last year I believe, and importantly included regions like Korea, where the original Golden Sun was never released.

A trademark similar to this one (only includes "Golden Sun", no subtitle) was also used before Dark Dawn was released, over 10 years ago. This is why we believe that something new is coming, because the trademark needs to be used to be approved, which it was.

A recent development occurred just a few days ago: it was discovered that a new trademark for "Golden Sun Dark Dawn" was applied for by Nintendo, requiring the same approval process as the "Golden Sun" trademark from 2018.

The main reason we're so concerned with the trademarks is because Nintendo is required to show what they'll be using the new trademark for, and it has to be something new. Games on the Nintendo Switch Online service don't require a new trademark, so it's something else. It could be anything from a new game to merchandise for whatever reason, but the product would have to be labeled with the "Golden Sun" trademark.

(If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free to go ahead and elaborate further, I'm sure I missed a few things.)

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
I genuinely can't fathom why you would bother to go onto an Isaac support thread, then proceed to trash all over our hopes and speculation. It's not even like it's baseless hoping, we have literal legal proof that Nintendo is doing something with Golden Sun, but we just don't know what. If you'd like, I can give you a decent enough rundown of why we believe that, though Nazyrus Nazyrus is much more knowledgable regarding the trademarks. Multiple different trusted insiders have also said that GS is coming, but again, we don't know when or in what form. If that also includes Isaac in Smash, awesome, mission accomplished. If it doesn't, oh well, we still got new GS stuff.

You can have your doubts, many people on this thread do as well, that's 100% ok. But to come in to the Golden Sun support thread and say "Your favorite series is dead and it'll never return" seems... troll-ish, in a way. I don't want to police your experience, but I think you might be better served being a little less harsh and more inquisitive, maybe asking why people are so confident that GS is returning instead of saying "Golden Sun is dead and I don't think it will ever be revived."
I am not some dumb troll, Isaac is the character I have wanted most for SSB since before brawl. I just think the series is dead.

Moreover I've seen people get hyped up over trademark renewals before and it doesn't necessarily lead to anything. You think I'm being harsh but I just disagree.

Last edited:

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I am not some dumb troll, Isaac is the character I have wanted most for SSB since before brawl. I just think the series is dead.

Moreover I've seen people get hyped up over trademark renewals before and it doesn't necessarily lead to anything. You think I'm being harsh but I just disagree.
You litteraly provide no explanation nor justification.
If you are hopeless that's your problem, you do not need to bring it up to down others.

Bringing up issues and doubts is perfectly fine, but just calling the serie dead is not doing anything to advance the conversation, only sets a bad mood.
And as we brought up, the serie looks like it is on the path to resurrection. Trademarks may lead to nothing, but getting a second one after the first one is kind of odd. Why do it if the first project is cancelled or deemed doomed to failure ? Wouldn't you rather work on a second trademark if you consider the first one as potentially successful ?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace

(Bolded by me for emphasis)

Ah, that's where the difference lies. This, and I cannot stress is enough, is not a trademark renewal. It is a brand new trademark, which requires that the company registering the trademark demonstrate "intent of use", i.e., a new product using the trademark. That's why this is so notable, it's brand new, and it was rejected twice(?) but Nintendo pushed it through. Why bother if the series was truly dead? They still maintain the trademarks for the original Golden Sun as well as Dark Dawn, but these two new ones are completely new. Registered in 2018, not 2001 or 2010.

I have absolutely no issue with you being skeptical, I've had my doubts about this before as well. However, legally, these new trademarks require that Nintendo have a product on the horizon utilizing the trademarks, and not just re-releases, which would still be protected under the original trademarks. For instance, when Golden Sun and The Lost Age were rereleased on Wii U, they didn't require a new trademark, because they were still protected under the trademark filed in 2001 which had been renewed. However, if Nintendo wanted to put out a new product with "Golden Sun", they'd need to trademark it, because it wouldn't fall under the original trademark, as seen in 2010, when the trademark for "Golden Sun Dark Dawn" was registered.

I ask that you read my summary on the trademark situation, which illustrates why exactly it's such a big deal. I hope this helped, I'd like as many people understand the process that's happening as possible so everyone can be on the same page.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
A remake of the first two games would be the best thing, but all I can hope for is that they just port them to Switch because I would love to be able to replay them on a TV and portably (on a switch, not wii u). Unfortunately nintendo is apparently too dumb to do an actual virtual console, let alone for GBA games. :/ nonetheless I think a port/rerelease/bundled release is possible.

Sorry if my pessimism brings you down. I wouldn't assert that the series will never return, just that I'm not at all convinced that it ever will. A trademark alone doesn't convince me. I think there is space in these threads for pessimism but y'all can keep being hopeful.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I think there is space in these threads for pessimism but y'all can keep being hopeful.
I actually agree here. I don't think anyone's throat should get jumped down just because they're skeptical. Skepticism, and to a lesser degree even pessimism, is a healthy viewpoint to have and share in any group. You can't take it as a personal attack, which I've seen happen a lot on this thread. Skepticism doesn't invalidate your opinion, and it certainly doesn't invalidate your feelings, and overall it does help stem the tides of despair in situations like this, should, god forbid, this does turn out to be nothing.

That doesn't mean I think it will turn out into nothing, and it doesn't matter one way or another; the point is there should be a push and pull, an ebb and flow to speculation and discussion. You can still be excited even if someone else is skeptical and sharing their opinion.

Hype and skepticism can, and should, coexist in the same space. It's healthy.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
A remake of the first two games would be the best thing, but all I can hope for is that they just port them to Switch because I would love to be able to replay them on a TV and portably (on a switch, not wii u). Unfortunately nintendo is apparently too dumb to do an actual virtual console, let alone for GBA games. :/ nonetheless I think a port/rerelease/bundled release is possible.

Sorry if my pessimism brings you down. I wouldn't assert that the series will never return, just that I'm not at all convinced that it ever will. A trademark alone doesn't convince me. I think there is space in these threads for pessimism but y'all can keep being hopeful.
Don't apologize for being skeptical, we've had plenty of folks who aren't as convinced as I am. I do have more evidence if you're not convinced by the trademarks, which is understandable. Here you go:

In addition to the trademarks, we have multiple insiders state that Golden Sun is happening. At least three different sources have stated as such, including Nazyrus on this thread, who has contact with Sabi's former source. Naz's connection was one of two people to leak Banjo in Smash, the other being Shinobi, who has also commented on Golden Sun multiple times, though presumably as a fan of the series. On the Isaac Discord, two others have stated that their sources have said that Golden Sun is happening. Additionally, NateDrake on ResetEra (whose admins notoriously take down fake leakers) has said that Mario Golf, Camelot's other Mario sports game series, "never had a chance", which many interpret to mean it's not coming. Camelot hasn't released anything since Summer 2018, when Mario Tennis Aces came out. Never in their history has there been such a long period of silence from them. We don't know what they're working on, but we can make educated guesses. Importantly, it wasn't the Aces DLC, as Nintendo's internal teams were handling that. The Takahashi Bros. (founders of Camelot, creative geniuses behind Golden Sun) have said their work on Aces was done in December of 2017, leaving them months before release to plan their next game. Camelot is known for three franchises working under Nintendo: Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, and Golden Sun. Mario Tennis just had a release and it's highly unlikely that they worked on it for 2+ years, given that they already had the engine to work with, Mario Golf has been shut down by NateDrake as well as Naz's source, and Golden Sun is an unknown. We can infer, then, that Camelot has been working on Golden Sun. Some mention Mario Sports, which also got a trademark recently, but Camelot is only responsible for tennis and golf, "Mario Sports" has been mostly done by Namco. Additionally, the "Mario Sports" trademark hasn't gone through the approval process yet, meaning if the game were to come out next month, it wouldn't be protected by trademark. As such, Golden Sun is the only feasible option.

To add on to that, there's three little things that don't inherently mean anything, but are worth mentioning. First, the Takahashi Bros have stated that they want to make RPGs again, usually referencing Shining Force, owned by Sega. Golden Sun is also an RPG, but if they were developing it they'd be under an NDA and not allowed to say so. Second, there was a Golden Sun reference in Mario Tennis Aces: in Japanese, the Kingdom of Bask shares the same name as Sol Sanctum. Finally, and this is mostly speculation, but some people think that the overworld engine used in MTA was developed for Golden Sun, as the way Mario traverses the overworld is similar to how it's done in Golden Sun.

So that's why people are so confident, I hope I've explained it well enough. There's always a place for skepticism and expressing doubts here, but at the same time you should be prepared for people to respond to that skepticism.

I actually agree here. I don't think anyone's throat should get jumped down just because they're skeptical. Skepticism, and to a lesser degree even pessimism, is a healthy viewpoint to have and share in any group. You can't take it as a personal attack, which I've seen happen a lot on this thread. Skepticism doesn't invalidate your opinion, and it certainly doesn't invalidate your feelings, and overall it does help stem the tides of despair in situations like this, should, god forbid, this does turn out to be nothing.

That doesn't mean I think it will turn out into nothing, and it doesn't matter one way or another; the point is there should be a push and pull, an ebb and flow to speculation and discussion. You can still be excited even if someone else is skeptical and sharing their opinion.

Of course. That said, if I believe that skepticism to be misguided, I'm allowed to share why I believe so. I didn't make personal attacks, I stated the evidence as best I could.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Of course. That said, if I believe that skepticism to be misguided, I'm allowed to share why I believe so. I didn't make personal attacks, I stated the evidence as best I could.
I understand. I wasn't directing my comment at anyone in particular. Just, in general, I felt it was a good thing to keep in mind; I've seen these forum disagreements devolve into brawls quickly, and suddenly you've got pink marshmallows and spiked turtles and anthro people all beating the crap out of each other. It's a whole thing. :p

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

Just to chip in a different perspective, ever since Isaac's assist reveal, we've lost tons of activity but those of us that stuck around have been doing our best to garner attention for this series and show Nintendo we want it back. We spent the better part of a year coordinating letter/email campaigns and Golden Sundays. Trying to get Golden Sun back (with some Smash talk) has been the main focus of this thread for a while and then this trademark stuff has been added to the mix.

So to suddenly get a 'Golden Sun is dead' post in what seems to be a long while. It came off unintentionally funny to me because of how jarring it was in the context of what's been going on in this thread, not because the post itself was skeptic.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just to chip in a different perspective, ever since Isaac's assist reveal, we've lost tons of activity but those of us that stuck around have been doing our best to garner attention for this series and show Nintendo we want it back. We spent the better part of a year coordinating letter/email campaigns and Golden Sundays. Trying to get Golden Sun back (with some Smash talk) has been the main focus of this thread for a while and then this trademark stuff has been added to the mix.

So to suddenly get a 'Golden Sun is dead' post in what seems to be a long while. It came off unintentionally funny to me because of how jarring it was in the context of what's been going on in this thread, not because the post itself was skeptic.
There's also the fact that the guy's new to the thread, so leading with "Golden Sun is dead" came off as a bit blunt and mean-spirited, even if they didn't intend to do so.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Even if speculation always centers on Isaac's chances for Smash, we have reached a point where we center ourselves in showing Nintendo and Camelot that fan demands exists for Golden Sun and not just for Isaac's inclusion, especially since the Takahashi said they would work on GS again if fans demanded for it, and tbh, the GS fandom wasn't as vocal before as it has been now.
There is also the fact that the Takahashi said they'd like to develop the future of GS on a hybrid console if it was possible (when asked if they'd want to keep GS as a portable console game or change to a home console)

Monue

Smash Apprentice

I feel ya!

I'll be honest too - I'm very excited about how things look. Not only that, but if this actually happens? If we get Isaac in Smash, a new game, remakes, remasters, or even just the games on the Switch store, you can chalk that up entirely to we the fans.

For Smash, Banjo and Ridley were huge wins, but Isaac was always kind of an underdog. If he got in there that'd be mind blowing - but honestly I'm more impressed that we might be getting remakes and possibly a whole new game. That's a much larger investment for Nintendo than a character in Smash - it's a big freaking deal, and it wouldn't have happened if we'd said nothing. I dunno, it's crazy to think about.

From the smash ballot, to the outcry after the Assist reveal, to Golden Sunday, to letter campaigns - everything you mentioned, everything from before the trademarks and after. There's no doubt in my mind that if Nintendo does do something with Golden Sun it's because of what the fans have done. They simply wouldn't have touched it if they didn't see how passionate people were about the series. That's awesome - and a success like that isn't common! It should be celebrated!

I hope that that fact is talked about when/if these games get revealed. I hope the media really zeroes in on how a small, passionate fan base brought a "dead" series back to life. I think it would be earned, because Nintendo could have chosen from a laundry list of other options, but it looks like they may have chosen our game, and we only have ourselves to thank for that.

I hope it happens.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not a support thread. It's a discussion thread. Don't gatekeep against opinions you don't like and act hostile to those who don't share your outlook.

This is a thread in which to discuss Isaac, and therefore basically GS as a whole. Everyone is welcome to share their takes, be they optimistic, pessimistic, or whatever, so long as people can be respectful. Those are the only confines this thread needs to abide by.

You're going to have to deal with people who disagree with you without implying they've no place here. If anything, there's less of a place here for people who can't be civil, no matter what you think about Isaac.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
While I respect people's difference of opinions, I think coming in and literally starting with stuff like "your dead series" or however it was worded, is unnecessary and irrelevant, specially when "relevancy" and/or "lack of new games" are arguments long ago debunked with characters like Krool and Banjo Kazooie. We don't need that type of debunked arguments, as they lead to no constructive discussion whatsoever anymore. That's my take, people can have their doubts if they want, but at least have a real argument these days please.

Ok question here, does the new DD trademark include Korea?
"AU - CH - CN - EM - GB - KR - MX - US" are the secondary regions that will go through the process of the Dark Dawn trademark from what I'm seeing in the website I use for checking its status. KR is Korea.

Since it literally just appeared and hasn't advanced past its "new application" first step of the whole process, we don't know if Korea will get its granted protection just yet, but it is certainly included to be one of the countries that will attempt to get its grant of protection :). I think if the new one from 2018 got it, this one shouldn't have an issue getting its protection granted either. We shall see in due time, cause it takes a while for trademarks to go through all the process heh.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He didn't come in to say "your series dead, hahaha", he said "the series is dead so I don't think it's coming back". Then he said other stuff. It wasn't any less topical or necessary than any of the other cyclical discussion here, it was just a contrary stance. Which, so long as it's civil, is fine.

So if you disagree with him disagree with him, but don't villainize him as someone dancing on the grave of the series.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think counter views are important for Support/Discussion threads all said. Yeah maybe it was a poor choice of words to come in and start your post with “Golden Sun is dead” but without a different perspective thrown into the mix every once in a while speculation will begin to circle in on itself and then we’re stuck having the same convos and enticing an echo chamber. Not trying to be that guy but the Geno thread ends up coming off quite hostile when detractors come in and Ridley thread in Smash 4 was the same way. I’m not a fan of that.

Don’t get me wrong, I got sick of detractors in the Snake thread during Smash 4 because it was usually the same thing but sometimes it’s necessary.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think counter views are important for Support/Discussion threads all said. Yeah maybe it was a poor choice of words to come in and start your post with “Golden Sun is dead” but without a different perspective thrown into the mix every once in a while speculation will begin to circle in on itself and then we’re stuck having the same convos and enticing an echo chamber. Not trying to be that guy but the Geno thread ends up coming off quite hostile when detractors come in and Ridley thread in Smash 4 was the same way. I’m not a fan of that.

Don’t get me wrong, I got sick of detractors in the Snake thread during Smash 4 because it was usually the same thing but sometimes it’s necessary.
To be fair, I do wonder about the lack of posts that go "Why the **** is this thread about an assist trophy still so active? It isn't even Waluigi for God's sake!"

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I mean, an opinion was presented (paraphrasing: "I think GS is dead, I doubt it's ever coming back", nothing we haven't heard before) that I disagree with, so I responded with why I believed it to be wrong. While there's no way to know for certain who is correct at the moment, I think we were well within our rights to respond the way we did. The "worst" someone said is that the OP was a troll, which we've encountered before. I responded in my posts explaining what we've learned, initially with the trademarks, then expounded on insider information when the poster mentioned not being convinced by the trademark info alone.

Nobody was trying to stop him from expressing his opinion on the series, rather, we were trying to change his opinion. Nobody suggested he wasn't welcome here, rather, we wanted to help him understand why that opinion was unpopular. We've been through every single argument for and against GS returning before, this was nothing new. With a lack of new information, official or otherwise, the conversation tends to be cyclical. I've mentioned before how often the question of "would Felix/Matthew/GS4 Protag be ok?" comes up and there are more examples of things like that, this is just one of several different topics that we discuss on repeat while waiting.

If you believe I overstepped in my responses, I will gladly yield to authority on this and try to tone myself back. However, to suggest that we were trying to make this person feel unwelcome or unwanted is, I feel, misrepresentative.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
He didn't come in to say "your series dead, hahaha", he said "the series is dead so I don't think it's coming back". Then he said other stuff. It wasn't any less topical or necessary than any of the other cyclical discussion here, it was just a contrary stance. Which, so long as it's civil, is fine.

So if you disagree with him disagree with him, but don't villainize him as someone dancing on the grave of the series.
Me asking to bring a better argument than the dead one of "series is dead so i dont think it's coming back" =/= me villainizing him.
I'm simply asking for a better argument that hasn't been debunked already for over a year, as it definitely does not bring a constructive discussion at all. I will repeat myself, If people wanna doubt and disagree, fine, but at least bring a valid argument that hasn't been debunked, not once, but twice already in the game. I'm not the one specifically criticizing the wording, I focused on the argument itself, which regardless of the wording, it's still about something that has been debunked twice in a row within Ultimate. Anyone is welcome to come in, agreeing or disagreeing, but just keep up to date with what arguments are not even worth bringing back again.

Nobody was trying to stop him from expressing his opinion on the series, rather, we were trying to change his opinion. Nobody suggested he wasn't welcome here, rather, we wanted to help him understand why that opinion was unpopular. We've been through every single argument for and against GS returning before, this was nothing new. With a lack of new information, official or otherwise, the conversation tends to be cyclical. I've mentioned before how often the question of "would Felix/Matthew/GS4 Protag be ok?" comes up and there are more examples of things like that, this is just one of several different topics that we discuss on repeat while waiting.
100% this.

To be fair, I do wonder about the lack of posts that go "Why the **** is this thread about an assist trophy still so active? It isn't even Waluigi for God's sake!"
Let's be thankful about that yeah, lol. I have seen it happen in other threads, not specifically because of AT, but simply hate towards characters, and it's like… why even do that… ugh

This has to be one of the most chills threads i have seen overall in this site to be honest.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
If someone's pessimistic we just enlighten them on the reasons why we are optimistic for good things happening to the series. It's worth having meaningful discussions than becoming an echo chamber full of falsehoods or letting it be perceived as one when it really it isn't in our case. I don't blame people for being burnt out on having hope for GS in the decade since Dark Dawn's release but its up to us to let them know why these series of events are as believable and hold strong for the return of the series. If someone in general is being a mean spirited troll which is a far different scenario just report them and move on

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If someone's pessimistic we just enlighten them on the reasons why we are optimistic for good things happening to the series. It's worth having meaningful discussions than becoming an echo chamber full of falsehoods or letting it be perceived as one when it really it isn't in our case. I don't blame people for being burnt out on having hope for GS in the decade since Dark Dawn's release but its up to us to let them know why these series of events are as believable and hold strong for the return of the series. If someone in general is being a mean spirited troll which is a far different scenario just report them and move on
Totally agreed. Honestly people should just enjoy this while it lasts, like Maximiliam said on his video of Smash ultimate being its golden era right now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Let's be thankful about that yeah, lol. I have seen it happen in other threads, not specifically because of AT, but simply hate towards characters, and it's like… why even do that… ugh

This has to be one of the most chills threads i have seen overall in this site to be honest.
I hear this thread really flared up during the pre-November Direct era. How bad did it get at that time, if at all?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
While I respect people's difference of opinions, I think coming in and literally starting with stuff like "your dead series" or however it was worded, is unnecessary and irrelevant, specially when "relevancy" and/or "lack of new games" are arguments long ago debunked with characters like Krool and Banjo Kazooie. We don't need that type of debunked arguments, as they lead to no constructive discussion whatsoever anymore. That's my take, people can have their doubts if they want, but at least have a real argument these days please.

"AU - CH - CN - EM - GB - KR - MX - US" are the secondary regions that will go through the process of the Dark Dawn trademark from what I'm seeing in the website I use for checking its status. KR is Korea.

Since it literally just appeared and hasn't advanced past its "new application" first step of the whole process, we don't know if Korea will get its granted protection just yet, but it is certainly included to be one of the countries that will attempt to get its grant of protection :). I think if the new one from 2018 got it, this one shouldn't have an issue getting its protection granted either. We shall see in due time, cause it takes a while for trademarks to go through all the process heh.
Which regions do CN and EM stand for?

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I hear this thread really flared up during the pre-November Direct era. How bad did it get at that time, if at all?
It didn't. If I recall correctly we got a couple trolls, but all in all things have always been civil in this thread. We got people who were pessimistic and people who were optimistic but mostly no ill spirited people. Besides, for many people on the site, Isaac was a shoe in, so it never got bad on itself, it pretty much just slowed down after Isaac's AT reveal.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I remember there being discussions about the Grinch banner pre november 2018 direct and...well, that's basically all I remember.

Last edited:

Smash Lord
This thread from August- November 2018 was an absolute monster. There were days when five pages were filled up in a single day. Its going to be nice seeing those old faces that haven't been on the thread in a while come back if Golden Sun is really confirmed in this direct. We have no idea how badly it could have been potentially delayed so here's hoping

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
As best I can do right now, there's certainly more to add:

In August 2018, a trademark was applied for by Nintendo for "Golden Sun" in Japan. It was brand-new, not a renewal, which is important because that requires "proof of usage", or something the company will actually use the trademark for. This trademark became accepted and put into effect sometime last year I believe, and importantly included regions like Korea, where the original Golden Sun was never released.

A trademark similar to this one (only includes "Golden Sun", no subtitle) was also used before Dark Dawn was released, over 10 years ago. This is why we believe that something new is coming, because the trademark needs to be used to be approved, which it was.

A recent development occurred just a few days ago: it was discovered that a new trademark for "Golden Sun Dark Dawn" was applied for by Nintendo, requiring the same approval process as the "Golden Sun" trademark from 2018.

The main reason we're so concerned with the trademarks is because Nintendo is required to show what they'll be using the new trademark for, and it has to be something new. Games on the Nintendo Switch Online service don't require a new trademark, so it's something else. It could be anything from a new game to merchandise for whatever reason, but the product would have to be labeled with the "Golden Sun" trademark.

(If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free to go ahead and elaborate further, I'm sure I missed a few things.)
It was actually applied for in June 2018, August 2018 is just when it got made public

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Hello, hello. I've always been a fan of Isaac getting in as a Smash fighter, but I've finally decided to publicly support him here. I played Golden Sun for the first time in 2019 and fell in love with it, and with the recent news about the trademarks I'm cautiously optimistic about his series' return. Whatever happens though, I'm just glad there's still a dedicated hardcore fanbase for the series, and I just think that's neat.

As a bonus, here's some fan art of him I did based off that one wojak meme.
Tired Isaac-compressed-11zon.jpg

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Hello, hello. I've always been a fan of Isaac getting in as a Smash fighter, but I've finally decided to publicly support him here. I played Golden Sun for the first time in 2019 and fell in love with it, and with the recent news about the trademarks I'm cautiously optimistic about his series' return. Whatever happens though, I'm just glad there's still a dedicated hardcore fanbase for the series, and I just think that's neat.

As a bonus, here's some fan art of him I did based off that one wojak meme.
View attachment 283474
Welcome to the team buddy.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
This thread after Isabelle's reveal has to take the cake. Like full on pages of meltdowns, pessimism, arguing and getting upset with each other. I can laugh about it now cause it's like, wow that was crazy.

There was also this other moment, which I don't remember specifically but it was like someone said something on gamefaqs about Isaac fans or whatever, can't remember if it was someone that had a big following or whatever. Actually I think it was about thinking Isaac fans were a chill fan base and that we were 'breaking character' by being more vocal than normal? Either way tons of people were coming into the thread, moderators having to say to calm down and stuff. I don't know why but Gamefaqs always some negative thread about Isaac or the fan base during that Ultimate speculation period.

But yeah the Isabelle reveal had to be the worst meltdown cause that direct had already been delayed so the expectations from the fandom were even higher than normal.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I can't say I was a fan of this thread back in the September 2018 Direct days. The worst part was the speculation about them pushing back Isaac due to the earthquakes that had happened in Japan. I just thought that speculation was extremely tasteless. It certainly wasn't our proudest moment as a thread.

But I think every thread has to go through a rough patch like that at some point. And we've certainly bounced back since then, and since the disconfirmation of November 2018. I like to think everything does happen for a reason, and if us getting devastated at Isaac's AT in 2018 was a part of the catalyst for bringing Golden Sun back, I can't complain.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There was also that situation with Vergeben using autism as an insult that I remember.

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 3DSNinja
  4. 9Blades
  5. ☆Jisatsu☆
  6. Verrix
  7. ?!?!?!
  8. Accursed
  9. AceyT
  10. Adeptmune
  11. Agk0001
  12. Aguki90
  13. airConditioner
  14. AirMac1
  15. aldelaro5
  16. alguidrag
  17. Akod
  18. AlliwantisIsaac
  19. Altais
  20. Amberloo
  21. Amtoj
  22. AncientArk
  23. andimidna
  24. Androobie
  25. Aeon Lupin
  26. Apollyon
  27. Aqua Rock X
  28. AquaDork1
  29. AquaSol
  30. Arcadenik
  31. ArkSPiTFirE
  32. Arsenal234,
  33. Arteen
  34. Asian_Charizard
  35. Astraltar
  36. Aureola
  37. Aurora Jenny
  38. AustarusIV
  39. AwesomeCauliflower68
  40. Awesomedude444
  41. aztimh
  42. Backgammon
  43. Baddies are back
  44. Balgorxz
  45. BandannaWaddleDee
  46. Bane84
  47. Banjodorf
  48. bassem6
  49. Bassoonist
  50. Billybae10K
  51. BillyBat
  52. Bingoshi
  53. Bkupa666
  54. Black Magician
  55. Blackwolf666
  56. Bladebreaker
  57. Blaziken
  58. Blue7113
  59. BluePikmin11
  60. BoltDragon
  61. BoN~
  62. BoreasTheSnowConeMachine
  63. Bowser-Daimao
  64. BravadoMan_13
  65. BridgesWithTurtles
  66. Brother AJ
  67. Browny
  68. Buddy002
  69. Bunny8093
  70. BUnit
  71. Burruni
  72. Calamitas
  73. Calane
  74. CactusBlah
  75. Cadillac
  76. candyissweet
  77. Capita
  78. Cap'nChreest
  79. Captain Toad
  80. CardStealer1
  81. Cazzone,
  82. Chapter Serf
  83. CheckmateChuck
  84. CheeseBroJoe
  85. Cheezey Bites
  86. ChirimoyaX
  87. Chromfirmed
  88. Chrono.
  89. ChronoPenguin
  90. clearandsweet
  91. ClinkStryphart
  92. CliffJumper
  93. Clumsyzephyr
  94. Coaltergeist
  95. cocy965
  96. Cos.
  97. Confirmation
  98. Connorb0t2
  99. Crap-Zapper
  100. CrocoLoco
  101. CrossDispatcher
  102. cybersai
  103. Dalek_Kolt
  104. Darkdarkness
  105. Darkfur
  106. DatoSm
  107. DCavalier
  108. Dee Dude
  109. Delta64
  110. Demonfunds
  111. Dendros
  112. Desert Croc
  113. Destroyer713
  114. Dezeray112
  115. Dhragen
  116. Dib The Crazy Kid
  117. Diddy Kong
  118. Dihan
  119. Dimensionsword64
  120. Dionaea_floridensis
  121. direktor
  122. Disturbedfan199220
  123. DivinexRose
  124. DJ3DS
  125. DJBor
  126. D-Man9293
  127. DMurr
  128. DogManStar
  129. DoodleDuck97
  130. Doncalot
  131. DraginHikari
  132. Drakonis
  133. DrJayfox
  134. Dromader
  135. DukeNapoleon
  136. DustyPumpkin
  137. Dyllybirdy
  138. e105beta
  139. Eagle
  140. EclairSpark
  141. EclipseSmash
  142. EddyBearr
  143. ED Cantu
  144. Edlocke
  145. egaddmario
  146. ElPanandero
  147. El Syd
  148. EndlessChrom
  149. EndlessRain
  150. EnhaloTricks
  151. EricTheGamerman
  152. Essora
  153. ETFruitNinja
  154. ethanrodgers223
  155. Ezequileste
  156. Falgor
  157. Falkoopa
  158. False Sense
  159. FamiconDisk
  160. Famikom
  161. FantastiqueFran
  162. Felix_the_Slayer
  163. fenyx4
  164. ferioku
  165. Fire Rider
  166. Fire Tactician
  167. Fire_Voyager
  168. FirstBlade
  169. Flamel
  170. Flamingbird
  171. Flareon
  172. Flarzo
  173. FlawedAI
  174. Flik
  175. FlintIke
  176. Flynn.Scifo
  177. fogbadge.
  178. foolssigma
  179. FooltheFlames
  180. FrankAL
  181. FreddyOnDrugs
  182. Friesnchip
  183. Frosty Pops
  184. GalacticPetey
  185. Gameguy1996
  186. Gazorpazorpfield
  187. Geassguy
  188. gebi
  189. Geildus
  190. Geno Boost
  191. Germaniac
  192. ghastmine
  193. Ghirahilda
  194. GhostStorm
  195. Gioka
  196. GladiusVortex
  197. GM_3826
  198. GoldenBoy01
  199. Golden Icarus
  200. GoldenSunIsAlive
  201. GoodGrief741
  202. Gotann
  203. GraveEclipse567
  204. GreekGamer
  205. gspindles
  206. Gurein
  207. Guynamednelson
  208. Hakerson
  209. heylodom
  210. Highway20
  211. Holdenon
  212. hustler713
  213. Huanchi
  214. hwrdjacob
  215. iam8bit
  216. Icana
  217. iDazedX_x
  218. Inawordyes
  219. IntelliHeath1
  220. Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
  221. isaac3000
  222. Isaac4SmashUltimate
  223. Isaac for Smash Pls
  224. IsaacOrRiot
  225. Isaac: Venus Adept
  226. Istry555
  227. ItsRainingGravy
  228. ItsYio
  229. IvanQuote
  230. JaidynReiman
  231. Jak_spoon
  232. JamesDNaux
  233. James Tutumbero
  234. Jamurai
  235. Jandlebars
  236. JarBear
  237. Javifa
  238. Jclubsandwich
  239. JDogindy
  240. JesseMcCloud
  241. Jibunzo
  242. Johnknight1
  243. JohnnySparkxs
  244. JoyStar
  245. Jupiter Ivan
  246. Jurae818
  247. Just a random scrub
  248. jweb22
  249. Kalaam
  250. Kalomaze
  251. KCCHIEFS27
  252. KeniththeGatherer
  253. KeybladeSmasher
  254. KHJason95
  255. Kikaru
  256. Kind Dedede
  257. KingCloud
  258. KingShadow
  259. KingTorra
  260. KingZing
  261. KiraYoshikage
  262. KirbyDragon
  263. Kirbyfan391
  264. Kisae
  265. Klimax
  266. KMDP
  267. Knight-Adept
  268. KoalaNut
  269. Kokirikory
  270. KoopaSaki
  271. Koori
  272. Krosshair
  273. Kremling Man
  274. Kumatora
  275. KurouKamen
  276. Kycse
  277. Lady Palutena
  278. Lampy
  279. LaniusShrike
  280. lanky_gunner
  281. LasermasterA
  282. Leafeon523
  283. Ledfarmer
  284. LeeYawshee
  285. Legendary Spirit Tamer
  286. LegendOfDragoon
  287. legendofrob1
  288. LemmyKoopa
  289. lexpic17
  290. lightdasher
  291. LightheartedBum
  292. Lightosia
  293. Linq
  294. Lisbon Mapping
  295. littl-myth
  296. Liverpool19
  297. LoboRundas
  298. Loliko YnT
  299. Lone (Thirteenth)
  300. Lonodel
  301. Lord-Zero
  302. Lucanic
  303. Lucimar
  304. Ludjinnado
  305. Luigifan18
  306. lunarum
  307. Lukingordex
  308. Lurxy
  309. Lynn Eslie
  310. M23-X0
  311. Machete
  312. MacSmitty
  313. MagiusNecros
  314. MAGMIS
  315. MainJPW
  316. Malcolm Belmont
  317. MaskO'Gears
  318. Master Rapier
  319. MasterMushroom
  320. MatthewVenusAdept
  321. Mav485
  322. McLapras
  323. MeatOfJustice
  324. Mega Bidoof
  325. Mehdow
  326. Mendelsin
  327. MetalMario128
  328. Metocles
  329. Midnight Torch
  330. Miifighters4Smash5
  331. Minato Arisato
  332. Mike Cometa
  333. Mikegamer0608
  334. millsfans
  335. Mishudo
  336. Mizuiro24
  337. Monkokaio
  338. MonopolyRubix
  339. Monue
  340. MorbidAltruism
  341. Moydow
  342. MrGame&Rock
  343. MrMacBeth
  344. MrToxicVoltage
  345. Muirkat
  346. Mythzotick
  347. mynameisv
  348. MysticKnives
  349. N1N
  350. N3ON
  351. Nauzgo
  352. Nawgust
  353. Nazyrus
  354. Necro Toad
  355. Neo Zero
  356. NessAtc.
  357. Niala
  358. Nimbostratus
  359. NineS
  360. Ninjakid41592
  361. Ninjaed
  362. Nintandy
  363. Nintendokusou
  364. NitrusVirus
  365. NNN
  366. NonSpecificGuy
  367. NoOtherPersona
  368. NoR4U
  369. Nossnitro102
  370. Octillus
  371. Oddyesy
  372. oh.glory
  373. OhMyBanana54
  374. Olo
  375. Onassi2
  376. Oniric Spriter
  377. Ookami Ryo
  378. OpticalBlast
  379. OptimisticStrifer
  380. Oracle_Summon
  381. Organization XIII
  382. osby
  383. otarolgam
  384. Oz37
  385. Pacack
  386. Pakky
  387. Papagenos
  388. ParanoidDrone
  389. Pcubed007
  390. Pennate
  391. Phaazoid
  392. PhilosophicAnimal
  393. pholtos
  394. Pinguino21v
  395. Pizza Robo
  396. P.Kat
  397. Plain Yogurt
  398. Plank08
  399. Plato Xaiver
  400. Playcube
  401. PlayfulMushroom
  402. POKEMANSPIKA
  403. PokiehlthePoet
  404. Powerman293
  405. praline
  406. ProperlyBasic
  407. proxian
  408. psb123
  409. PSIguy89
  410. PSYNergy
  411. PrinceGal3n
  412. PurpleStuff5
  413. PWN3
  414. Pwnapplez
  415. Pyzlnar
  416. QcSlayer
  417. Q-Long
  418. Quetzal77
  419. R.O.B.
  420. Radical Beam
  421. Radori
  422. Raetah
  423. Rafuki21
  424. RandomAce
  425. Raykz
  426. Raziek
  427. Red Dasher
  428. Red Ryu
  429. ReeseBalaski
  430. RegiGygas117
  431. RenH
  432. Replica
  433. Rethuic
  434. Retroen
  435. RetrogamerMax
  436. RetroMetalSonic
  437. RhymeswithEmpty
  438. Roger Smith
  439. RosaPeach
  440. Royaru
  441. roydgriffin
  442. Royvolution Ream
  443. RumpletrellskiN
  444. Ryan
  445. Ryuji
  446. Ryuutakeshi
  447. Sabrewulf238
  448. Saer2k
  449. Sagittarius
  450. Salocin
  451. sandfall
  452. SanicJan
  453. Sari
  454. Scatmansworld25
  455. Scoliosis Jones
  456. scoobymcsnack
  457. Seb9k+
  458. SebasSancy
  459. Secret Sexytime
  460. Seleir
  461. Seoxys
  462. Sephazon
  463. ShadowGuy1
  464. Sharklord
  465. Shawnullah
  466. sheik93
  467. shellshocker18
  468. Shin F.
  469. Shinhed-echi
  470. Shiny Porygon
  471. shocktarts17
  472. Shog
  473. Sidboylol
  474. Silo777
  475. SirBillyBob
  476. SirCamp
  477. Skeleton o' Fun
  478. SkullKidKing
  479. Skyblade12
  480. Skyfox2000
  481. sman3975
  482. Smash_Handle69
  483. SmashBro99
  484. smashingDoug
  485. smashkirby
  486. Smashmar2
  487. smash puffle
  488. SmashShadow
  489. smashtriforce77
  490. smileMasky
  491. SmilingMad
  492. SMX
  493. SNEKeater
  494. Solbliminal
  495. Solfiner
  496. someonetookjacob
  497. SonicLink125
  498. SonicSmasher
  499. SoraSaturn
  500. Sordim522
  501. SorMago
  502. SorrowOfAcheron
  503. SoulofKhaos
  504. Soulsaint
  505. SoupCanMafia
  506. Sparkus
  507. Spatman
  508. Spazzy_D
  509. Speedwagon
  510. Speed Weed
  511. SPEN18
  512. spoilerowl
  513. Spootondorf
  514. Sqid
  515. Squirtle/Mario guy
  516. SSBFan
  517. Staarih
  518. StaffofSmashing
  519. Strider_Bond00J
  520. StrikeBlade
  521. SundaeS
  522. SuperBrawler
  523. Superfiremario
  524. SuperNintendoKid
  525. Supersmash77
  526. Superyoshiom
  527. Swampasaur
  528. Sykin
  529. Takasmash
  530. tamagone
  531. TappyBat
  532. TBone06
  533. tbuster766
  534. TCT~Phantom
  535. TeamFlareZakk
  536. Techno1000
  537. Tecnoid
  538. Teeb147
  539. TeenGirlSquad
  540. TehEpicRyuga
  541. TempestSurge
  542. Tetiro
  543. Tetrin
  544. ThatShadowLink
  545. THE 6r
  546. The Curious Volnutt
  547. The One Who Wrote This
  548. Thekewlusername
  549. T-Hell
  550. TheRealHeroOfWinds
  551. TheSeanMan
  552. TheSpaceKing
  553. The Stoopid Unikorn
  554. TheTactician
  555. THE TemporaryFool
  556. thethirdkoopa
  557. TheZoologist
  558. ThirdDay
  559. ThoughtfulWanderer
  560. ThunderOverload
  561. TiaSilvia
  562. TimeSmash
  563. Tinfoil
  564. Tiymako
  565. ToothiestAura
  566. topspin1617
  567. Tornado_Man
  568. Travix Man
  569. TreeBranch
  570. True Blue Warrior
  571. Turmalinium
  572. tveye
  573. tyrus+
  574. UltimateWario
  575. Ultinarok
  576. Undella2
  577. User Name String
  578. UtopianPoyzin
  579. valkiriforce
  580. Vann Accessible
  581. Vegito2727
  582. Venus of the Desert Bloom
  583. Vintage Creep
  584. Violenceman
  585. WaddleMatt
  586. walph
  587. warelander
  588. Warheart_666
  589. Wigglytuff ★
  590. winterofsilver
  591. Wintropy
  592. WhiteEaglePL
  593. Xelion
  594. Xenigma
  595. XenoWarriorX
  596. XeVioN
  597. Xiivi
  598. Xithyl_kykorl
  599. xLemmy_KoopaX
  600. xNaz
  601. xpnc
  602. XTremeGamer1234
  603. XxLtxX
  604. Yangfly Leone
  605. YellowLord
  606. Yggdra
  607. Yoh
  608. Yoshi444
  609. YoshiandToad
  610. Young Horsetail
  611. Your Hero
  612. Ypsen
  613. Yuki Setsuna
  614. Yusa
  615. YwhaletailY
  616. Zabadoo
  617. Zack 2
  618. zabimaru1000
  619. zagman505
  620. zaiman12345
  621. Zalaresh
  622. Zandro
  623. ZanZero
  624. ZarroTsu
  625. ZeldaMaster
  626. ZelDan
  627. ZestyÑ
  628. zferolie
  629. zmero_
  630. Zulyar
  631. Zuppo

The worst part was the speculation about them pushing back Isaac due to the earthquakes that had happened in Japan.
There was more people warning against that in this thread than people who seriously considered that to be a valid theory.

Last edited:

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
There was more people warning against that in this thread than people who seriously considered that to be a valid theory.
True. I was just shocked that anyone at all would consider using it in speculation. It's one of those morally grey areas that probably should have been avoided completely.

Smash Lord
Japan in general has a history of censoring content in relation to natural disasters so it wasn't that much of a stretch to us at the time. Isaac was already a massively speculated character at that point so expectations were already on him for that direct. We still paid our respects and most of us didn't outright put the lives of the victims behind as a result and for the minority that did we condemned them for that

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Japan in general has a history of censoring content in relation to natural disasters so it wasn't that much of a stretch to us at the time. Isaac was already a massively speculated character at that point so expectations were already on him for that direct. We still paid our respects and most of us didn't outright put the lives of the victims behind as a result and for the minority that did we condemned them for that
Also the controversy at the time wasn't so much about Isaac, moreso those fans impatiently demanding for the direct despite the natural disaster that took place. The Isaac correlation was very small in a sea of casual fans who felt Isaac didn't have much chance at all anyways. Of course given that it's our character, the Isaac fans took the heat for the correlation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom