• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunday July 20th, Ann Arbor, MI - Digital Ops Biweekly #5!! New Strike Out System!

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
ATTENTION Anther and Lain and other Ic players: I posted this in the other thread as well

Im sure you guys know this already but there is 4 new chain grab infinates for the IC's. one of them is you walk up with nana and after they break out you grab with nana rinse and repeat very easy. others are a tech called hobbling, heres the links to all 4 of them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sToFj4B2hmA type , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYtZ-V6TK4 type2, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOP2Kh_JJ6I type 3, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9feI7FD6vk type 4 If you guys already knew about this sorry!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah, they should. I think we should ban Snake, too, because his hitboxen defy physics. While we're at it, Meta Knight's attacks have no lag and too much priority, ban him. Same with G&W, he's basically a mono-colored version of Meta Knight. From there, we should get rid of everyone with chaingrabs. Goodbye, Dedede and Falco. And wtf is with ROB's insane recovery? He's gone too. Hell, let's just make it easier by deciding who isn't banned.

Captain Falcon dittos, anyone?

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
captain falcon has to be banned, reverse falcon punches wtf? marth is just so cheap, spamm fsmash all day. peach+turnips=2 cheap. wario can eat people....wtf? ban. olimar is so small i cant even hit him...ban. ike kills at 40% -_-. Luigi up+b kills at 30...why is he still allowed to play. Diddy Kong+bananas...do i even have to say it.

yoshi dittos anyone?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yoshi can't get shieldpoked. That's banworthy right there.

Let's have some Blue Alloy MMs.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
zss has 2 stun moves wtf, ban, wolf has a bair ban that **** shiek has tilt locks banned zelda has usmash ban.
mario has fireballs banned. kirby has inhale banned.

brawl sucks

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
fox has shine spike, falco has shl, marth has hitbox, sheik has fast moves, peach has float cancelling, ic's have wobbling

bannnn

melee sucks

dingding

Smash Ace
yeah brawl sucks..

but serouisly.. playing an IC's with large character like Snake.. then watching the vids omni showed.. yeah u'll get 3 stocked guranted.. no matter how good you are.. a scrub can beat the best snake..

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
yeah brawl sucks..

but serouisly.. playing an IC's with large character like Snake.. then watching the vids omni showed.. yeah u'll get 3 stocked guranted.. no matter how good you are.. a scrub can beat the best snake..
Too bad for Snake....?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, why the hell would ICs be a counter for a character with a very good solution against spamming grabs? You're just being silly. :V

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I've played many games as Snake against ICs that end without me even getting grabbed once with both ICs present. He has tons of stuff he can do to separate them, then you just kill Nana, and you'll be fine.

dingding

Smash Ace
true panda.. but im stupid and i dont think when i play.. i just wanna kill them.. then brawl match will be ova and i win lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Play like that and you'll lose to anyone who's actually good.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Lain, I went either 50/50 or came out above your ICs with my Olimar last time we played. Wanna hit up an MM? $5, my Snake against your ICs. Or, if you'd prefer, I could try my Kirby. I'm free anytime tomorrow after 3:30, so come over.

And I know I'm going to regret this later when I lose :/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I like to think I'm able to avoid grabs a decent amount, but maybe I just get lucky with my mashing. After all I have no skill, so I just try to make up for all that by mashing a lot.

Panda, I finally convinced Emblem Lord that the Marth/Olimar matchup isn't an even matchup lololol.

Vayseth

Smash Master
The tournament has been confirmed and the main page has been updated accordingly. A couple things to note:

1. The tournament registration starts at noon, but doubles will start between 1 and 2 pm. If you are not there by 2 pm, I will start the tournament.
2. Because this will be the only tournament in the month of July for Ann Arbor, the entry fee will be placed back to $10 a person or $20 a team.
3. Note that the prize distribution is different if there are more then 32 people. (I need a lot at this tournament guys. Bring EVERYONE).
4. BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.
5. Rules are same as normal.
6. New "Strike Out" stage selection system is in place. Check the first page for all the details.
7. The stage lists in general have been completely redone.
8. If I get a good turnout, it is possible to hold these once a month, rather than every two weeks if that will get more people to show up.

That is all, flame away...

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
ill finally b able to come to this ill bring 4-5 people with me and if u need 2 ill bring m,y wii/copy of brawl

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This stage list is actually a collaboration between Vayseth and I. It is probably the closest stage list to a "beta" SBR ruleset (as voting is still underway). Yes, we included all the controversial stages that even the SBR is split in the middle of banning or allowing on counterpick, but trust me when I say we put a lot of thought into each and every stage.

Vayseth

Smash Master
what up with the stage list.. mario ciruit..skyworld..port aero drive.. err
Reasons for allowing:
1. Mario Circuit- Characters with bad recoveries or tether recoveries have been getting screwed over and the inclusion of walk off stages is necessary to make there characters worth while. Mario Circuit has very little problems with camping, hazards, etc. The stage is actually quite fair. The karts are REALLY easy to avoid and they do very little dmg/knockback. The stage is almost like a walk off version of norfair in my opinion. If you don't like the stage, you obviously haven't played it more than twice in your life. Check it out, it's really fair. Pictochat and Corneria are worse than this stage. Actually, there are plenty of stages that are worse than this that are on the "current" Michigan stage list. Play it a couple times.

2. Skyworld- It's awful, but a bad stage is not reason enough to ban it. This stage is no less annoying than luigi's mansion in my opinion. Usually, if you die "because of the stage" it means you did not tech somewhere, and it's your fault. The stage itself is relatively fair, and gives advantages to some and disadvantages to others. There's no substantial evidence that the stage itself needs to be banned.

3. Port Town Aero Drive- This stage surprised me. I wanted to ban it more than anything in my life, basically because of the nasty match I had on it in the first cy gamez tournament. However, after playing the match on singles and doubles for hours with Samurai Panda, we located every single safe zone on the map (there are plenty), the map is not random, and it actually helps characters with bad recoveries since there is a floor that bounces you up for minimal dmg and knockback for 75% of the stage. Again, this stage is banned due to relative inexperience. Play it, and try to find the safe zones, you will see that there is no problem with this stage.

Other points I need to make:
1. You get ONE ban per team/player ONLY. This hasn't changed. Just because there are more stages does not mean you get more bans. There's no reason to ban more.
2. I screwed up when typing. The FIRST THING YOU DO is pick characters. That way, when you strike stages, you have the opponent's character in mind. This means that since you will be strategically striking out stages, it will lead to the most even match up. I have edited the rules to reflect this.
3. ORI_bro: I look forward to meeting you! Bring as many people as possible =)

Everyone please post all of your questions/comments and I will try to help you all understand this new process. This is not MY rule set, this is the rule set resulting from various backroom research, as well as Panda's and my own experiments with stages. I assure you they are fair and I have done plenty of research.

dingding

Smash Ace
but dawg.. why would u even play on mario circuit.. that just sounds nub..and no. there are plenty of gimps u can do on mario circuit.. ness.. get to the edge. back throw at 0%.. bb

skyworld-when lain MMed this kid named Joe.. joe spiked lain's TL at like 50% by hitting him against the the ceiling.. wdf is that..

port aero..i just played that stage.. wdf so messed up..

but yeah..

Vayseth

Smash Master
but dawg.. why would u even play on mario circuit.. that just sounds nub..and no. there are plenty of gimps u can do on mario circuit.. ness.. get to the edge. back throw at 0%.. bb

skyworld-when lain MMed this kid named Joe.. joe spiked lain's TL at like 50% by hitting him against the the ceiling.. wdf is that..

port aero..i just played that stage.. wdf so messed up..

but yeah..
You can back throw with any character off the side of any walk off (this includes castle siege and delfino) but if that happens to you, YOUR FAULT. There are plenty of ways to stop that from happening.

When lain MM'd Joe, lain forgot to tech off the ceiling. It's LAIN'S fault. There's nothing that makes the stage broke.

If you just played on Port Aero, you should have at least noticed all of the safe zones on the stage, and how the stage can actually help you more than hurt you.

I think people need to realize that unless there is SIGNIFICANT EVIDENCE that a stage is ban worthy, it cannot be banned, bad stage or not. All of the stages I have banned I have VERY good reasons for. Until someone gives me videos or detailed strategies on any stage I have allowed that makes it bannable, I will not ban it. Most of these stages have been approved or are 50/50 in the backroom anyway, meaning I'm definitely not the only one who believes this stuff. Just because they're available does not mean you have to play on them. They are counterpicks. You don't have to play on them unless someone picks them. It's not like these stages are in the starting roster...

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
um cars kill people at 20-30%

ANY level that hurts a player with its obstacles needs to be banned. this isnt gym class, this is brawl

but..... no one listened in melee. now the punishment begins

dingding

Smash Ace
ya i no joel.. and vayseth on port aero.. i just played .. its good stage for flying chars.. but like marth.. ike.. all those ppl who's recovery blows.. theres like 4 spots where ur screwed.. u like up B and u up B into nothing and u fall and SD so i think that stage should be banned.. and the cars do like 10-25% and so do the walls.. and on the last transformation.. where there is 2 platforms and 1 big thing in the middle and the rest is just air.. yeah thats like halberd.. u can just get SDed if you don't jump and hang on.. its kinda hard to explain and my sentence probaly doesn't make sence.. but yeah =P

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
the only level i dont understand is port aero drive, but i htink we should give it a try and see what happens

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey, guys? Counterpick stages that you don't like won't matter if nobody counterpicks them. Just sayin'.

dingding

Smash Ace
yeah but what if a really cheap person goes to the tourney... picks D3 lets say and goes mario circuit.. and lets say hot arms is there or something and hes playing snake and forgets about chain grab.. grr pwned

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
um cars kill people at 20-30%

ANY level that hurts a player with its obstacles needs to be banned. this isnt gym class, this is brawl

but..... no one listened in melee. now the punishment begins
Actually, they kill at like 60-80%, depending on weight. Also, after playing the stage 4 times in a row, I was never hit by a car again. It is ridiculously easy to get around them, and for like half of the transformations you can see the cars coming in the background of the stage, so you know they'll appear. Hell, one time I decided to experiment, and I spotdodged every single car. Honestly, if you get hit, then its probably your own fault.

Trust us when we say that we've researched these stages before we made this list. This isn't some scrub stage list made by people that have no idea what they're doing.

yeah but what if a really cheap person goes to the tourney... picks D3 lets say and goes mario circuit.. and lets say hot arms is there or something and hes playing snake and forgets about chain grab.. grr pwned
a) He deserves to lose if he forgets about D3's chaingrab.
b) Snake has tons of ways to get around getting grabbed, and get around getting chaingrabbed off the level (i.e. one of the things he can do is plant a mine on one side of the map).
c) You can't camp the sides very well because the road above it is completely pass through, and there are tons of things you can do to prevent camping there (i.e. with Snake you can plant C4 on the road, or throw a nade on the road so the explosion hits under it).

Just once more to really pound this into your heads: This isn't some scrub's stage list. We know what we're talking about. If you have some valid reasons why a stage should be banned, like some sort of broken tactic or something, then tell us. Johns about being bad at the game aren't a reason to ban a stage.

Top Bottom