• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summer Smashcon "A TWO DAY EVENT! $400 in Pot Bonuses! Online... - June 22nd, 2013 - Slidell, LA

D

Deleted member

im also interested in the venue fee. "handhelds" is basically just pkmn right? so any console games, even if you only want to play one game, it's $20 venue fee + entry fee?

secondly, what format is the MTG tournament?

finally, it is apparently stressed that we bring set ups. what kind of venue fee discount goes to people who bring full set ups?

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Individual days cost 10 Venue still. Its not listed but it should be. I apologize.
Handheld is basically just pokemon. I was hoping we'd get more involved later on but it looks like it will be just pokemon this time around maybe next time we can include some Karts or other games. :\

As for benefits for bringing a setup in I'll have to think on this one a little.

MTG will be Standard. The card shops may do modern or even the other set that includes all cards from any gen but I'm not absolutely sure. I'll have to check but the more players we get the more they will do for sure. Maybe even a Boaster Draft.

Early Birds have a total of 25. I doubt all of them have been bought up.

-Erick

D

Deleted member

okay single days for 10 is better. i would also like to play MTG but thats how you really hold up a tournament

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
Something Else everyone should know. Saturday we only have the auditorium. Entry will be around the building on the left at the basketball goals gate entrance.

ChKn

Smash Ace
Do you guys have a full plan of what's going to happen for Brawl? Like how many people do we need to have pools, when brackets will be if pools are run, etc.?

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
We're definitely doing Pools for Brawl. I doubt we wouldn't need to with how the results have always been for turnout. We should be running finals into the next day too along with UMVC3. We're going to have a one last meeting before the event itself so some of this may change but mostly small stuff.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
mmm, we should be advertising this more
Then by all means, share the link with everyone you know and more. I've reached out to every state in our region and have constantly promoted this. None have responded, but I know they had to have seen it, so who shows and who doesn't is still a mystery.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Then by all means, share the link with everyone you know and more. I've reached out to every state in our region and have constantly promoted this. None have responded, but I know they had to have seen it, so who shows and who doesn't is still a mystery.

I don't have the time to dedicate myself to this as fully as I would like to, but I've contacted the few OoS sources I know. Our smash scene is so isolated form the rest of the country that we haven't thoroughly established friendliness and reliability. We need some of our more traveled players to contact some OoS guys directly. Our Brawl players would be best at that, since our Melee and 64 players don't travel much. If we can confirm some Texas players, it'll be much easier to pull others in.

Also, if we haven't done so already, our TO's should contact some of the more notable TO's for some advice on how to promote the tournament better. I'm thinking of Xyro and Alex Strife. I can do that myself if need be, but i think it would make more sense for the TO's themselves to do it.

I'm gonna make some forum media, like a sig/banner/video. Possibly all three.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I don't have the time to dedicate myself to this as fully as I would like to, but I've contacted the few OoS sources I know. Our smash scene is so isolated form the rest of the country that we haven't thoroughly established friendliness and reliability. We need some of our more traveled players to contact some OoS guys directly. Our Brawl players would be best at that, since our Melee and 64 players don't travel much. If we can confirm some Texas players, it'll be much easier to pull others in.

Also, if we haven't done so already, our TO's should contact some of the more notable TO's for some advice on how to promote the tournament better. I'm thinking of Xyro and Alex Strife. I can do that myself if need be, but i think it would make more sense for the TO's themselves to do it.

I'm gonna make some forum media, like a sig/banner/video. Possibly all three.
Thanks for the help. Every little bit counts. I've been advised to contact other well known TO's as well, which I haven't had time to as of recent. Summer school and work have been really a killer on my time. Also I'd love to see what you could come up with as far as graphics go because I wanted to make some designs myself but I haven't come up with anything yet.

As far as getting more, people, there's a lot of factors that I've discussed with a lot of people I know. What it boils down to is we are still small and are still building a reputation. Over time we will get more people for sure.

D

Deleted member

I've personally contacted Austin, Houston, and the florid panhandle. The only others that might would come is TN and AL I don't know those guys personally so the best I can do is post on their thread instead of contacting specific people on Facebook.

I also have some noobs coming from the br area for Atleast brawl and Melee. Maybe 64

D

Deleted member

100 for brawl, 50 for Melee and 50 for 64

Still need to change the op to reflect that 1 day passes are $10

Oracle

Smash Master
how big do you expect project m to be? i don't want to drive 8 hours for a 6 man local

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
So I made a sig to advertise the tournament, should be pretty eye catching.

You can embed the tournament thread onto the img as well so that when people click it it takes them to this page. The TOU say that you'll get modded if the sig is bigger than the post itself, so i guess be aware of that. I may have to make it smaller.

[EDIT] Small version

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I've been modded for sigs a couple times in the past, so I just play it safe now.

Also if there's any particular edits you'd like on it I can do that.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
how big do you expect project m to be? i don't want to drive 8 hours for a 6 man local
There are some players from TN , some from northern LA who are coming for sure and the crew from TX. If Florida makes an appearance again we have another crew or two as well. It has quite a bit of potential to be a big turnout especially with Project M really gaining traction finally in our area. These are just groups of players I know who can and probably will attend other then them I know quite a few lonewolfs who are addicted to the game as well.

-Erick

D

Deleted member

please PLEASE change the OP to reflect the $10 for one day venue fee price. i just shared to 10 regional threads and 10 facebook people and i dont want them to get scared away by a $20 venue fee for a 30-50 man tournament

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Anyone have Erick's number? I think it'd be easier to get in touch with him that way rather than waiting for him to see it here.

I think it would help our cause if we can get some pictures of the venue. Preferable with some pictures of last tournament oif we have some. If we don't we'll have to make sure to take some pictures this time.

Also we should mention what interest we have garnered already, like states/areas who say they're coming.

I'm going to go to Dibbz for fight night do some networking, although that probably won't bring any smash people.

Also, I'd be willing to mm OoS players.

D

Deleted member

texas is working hard to come. rice lots of interest but needs to find a ride. i posted in fl, al, ga, and tn threads.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Anybody have any idea how to get commentary into tournament videos? Specifically, how do I get a program for record both the audio from the game and from the microphone/s? I wanna do recording with commentary if possible.

D

Deleted member

also any word on venue fee discounts for full set ups? its stupid but without that, few people will bring set ups

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I texted Erick to let him know the OP needs to be updated. There were apparently with the spoiler tags on the OP but if you click on the very last spoiler tag, the venue pics are there along with some other information too. Not sure how or why it was like that, but I'm just going by what I was told by Erick. In my opinion, people should bring set-ups regardless of a discount. It's nice to try and encourage people with discounts for bringing set-ups, but when you ask about it or demand it, there's no point in even considering it. Players should understand a tournament isn't run one way, TO's need set-ups and players that are able to bring set-ups, should bring set-ups. Cut and dry.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Two people want to go from Austin so far. If I get one more person who is guaranteed I'll be attending as well as bringing a system or two with smash. Not sure if we can bring TV's though >.>

D

Deleted member

In my opinion, people should bring set-ups regardless of a discount. It's nice to try and encourage people with discounts for bringing set-ups, but when you ask about it or demand it, there's no point in even considering it. Players should understand a tournament isn't run one way, TO's need set-ups and players that are able to bring set-ups, should bring set-ups. Cut and dry.
"its stupid but without that, few people will bring set ups"

I agree that people should, but the world doesn't work based on what is right and wrong. If you don't give incentive you won't get 1/4 of the set ups that you would with incentive. its just a fact of life. I also didn't realize that asking about something makes people not do things.

Tesh

Smash Hero
If people are bringing you something that you want or need for your tournament, you should be willing to reward them with at least a free drink or something.

Smash especially, with our huge TVs we still need, its not a walk in the park to lug those things around and not everyone is down the street from the venue.

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
One Free choice of Drink or pizza for every Setup! I like this Idea. Thank you Tesh for your wonderful words of wisdom! Offering a free beverage or slice should be a nice incentive.

Also this and the Venue $10 thing are in the OP now.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Tesh, if you and your crew are megabusing to new orleans and need a ride to slidell, I'd be willing to give you guys a ride.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Hey guys, how large is the Street fighter community here? How many people could you guys expect?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I've been hanging around dibbz telling marvel and sf people about the tournament. If they tell each other and all show up it'll be a pretty decent showing, about 20 people. As it stands i dont think the new orleans sf crew knows about the tournament. I'll try to spread the word at fight night (friday).

Top Bottom