• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summer of Smash Week 8: EVO 2017

my_T

Smash Journeyman
No faith in KEN?

considering that he's taken at least one or more sets off of all of those except Zero and Salem i suspect that KEN may shake things up.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
No faith in KEN?

considering that he's taken at least one or more sets off of all of those except Zero and Salem i suspect that KEN may shake things up.
KEN has a positive set count against Dabuz last I checked, and despite Dabuz winning their most recent encounter at Frostbite, it was at the skin of his teeth. Getting that one out of the gate is definitely going to be a bit of a challenge for Dabuz. KEN could go 50/50 with most players in Top 8, that said if Larry gets the upset on Salem, I'm not expecting KEN to make it very far. Right now that's his biggest brick wall in the bracket.

Thinking about it, apart from VoiD, Dabuz probably has one of the more contentious paths in the Top 8 bracket all things considered, and KEN obviously plays a big deal in that. While it's been a long time since Larry faced Dabuz post-patch (all the way back to Pound 2016 I believe), it was a dominant 3-1 on Larry's end, although this was Larry back in his prime and a lot of things have changed since then. I still expect Dabuz to be a lot more comfortable facing Salem than Larry however. On top of that, if Dabuz manages to beat KEN and Larry, he's most likely going to have to go up against Nairo or Tweek, neither of which are good news for him, especially Nairo.

Apart from just having to beat two of his most contentious opponents, Dabuz is going to need a hefty amount of bracket luck to make it through clean. The biggest hope he has is if both Tweek and Larry manage to pull off their respective upsets. If so, then Dabuz could stand a chance to at least make it into Losers Finals, assuming he can break through KEN.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
It would be ironic if, after all the talk about the japanese players doing poorly this tournament, if KEN wins this tournament.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Most of the top 8 have gotten close to winning tournaments. I don't think it's as cut and dry of "ZeRo wins" or Dabuz wins. Both KEN and Salem are capable of doing it if they play well, among others.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
It would be ironic if, after all the talk about the japanese players doing poorly this tournament, if KEN wins this tournament.
KEN could realistcally do it imo. He's beaten Dabuz before, If Salem > Larry he beat Larry pretty dominantly before. If Larry > Salem that would be more of an issue for him but still doable. Then KEN has beaten Tweek and Nairo (lost to VoiD last EVO) so those are both matches he can do well in. Him vs Zero normally goes game 5, so if he can just clutch it out when he needs to this could actually be KENs tournament if he can make it past Salem.

NairWizard

Somewhere
KEN has a positive set count against Dabuz last I checked, and despite Dabuz winning their most recent encounter at Frostbite, it was at the skin of his teeth. Getting that one out of the gate is definitely going to be a bit of a challenge for Dabuz. KEN could go 50/50 with most players in Top 8, that said if Larry gets the upset on Salem, I'm not expecting KEN to make it very far. Right now that's his biggest brick wall in the bracket.

Thinking about it, apart from VoiD, Dabuz probably has one of the more contentious paths in the Top 8 bracket all things considered, and KEN obviously plays a big deal in that. While it's been a long time since Larry faced Dabuz post-patch (all the way back to Pound 2016 I believe), it was a dominant 3-1 on Larry's end, although this was Larry back in his prime and a lot of things have changed since then. I still expect Dabuz to be a lot more comfortable facing Salem than Larry however. On top of that, if Dabuz manages to beat KEN and Larry, he's most likely going to have to go up against Nairo or Tweek, neither of which are good news for him, especially Nairo.

Apart from just having to beat two of his most contentious opponents, Dabuz is going to need a hefty amount of bracket luck to make it through clean. The biggest hope he has is if both Tweek and Larry manage to pull off their respective upsets. If so, then Dabuz could stand a chance to at least make it into Losers Finals, assuming he can break through KEN.

The last time Larry and Dabuz played each other, Dabuz beat Larry pretty handily. I can't remember what tournament that was at though.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
The last time Larry and Dabuz played each other, Dabuz beat Larry pretty handily. I can't remember what tournament that was at though.
Was it at that pax arena invitational? Since that's the last time I remember them playing.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Wait, if this is delayed a little, then what is Disney XD showing right now?

Edit: And now Twitch is down???

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Wait, if this is delayed a little, then what is Disney XD showing right now?

Edit: And now Twitch is down???
Bayonetta disclaimers.

Sorry, I know I'm know watching the top 8 at all but there was an easy Disney XD joke there.

*Goes back to books*

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
It's fine for me but that might be because I've been watching Evo for hours already.

Zero :4diddy:2-0 Tweek:4cloud2::4dk:

NairWizard

Somewhere
If Larry (my favorite player) wins EVO I swear that I will not only main Fox but also attend the next big national event and try to get top 8

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I see that sentiment, and I get it, but best of three is quick stuff. A lot can happen.

Edit: gotta choose between Void or Nairo? Nah, fam, I'm good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom