• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summer of Smash Week 8: EVO 2017

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
The biggest threat to ZeRo at this point is Dabuz, who has to beat Tweek to even get to him.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Disney magic is no match for Umbra Witch magic. Cheeky!

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Smash 4 Bayo on Disney doesn't even seem to be bad lol. Likely going to cut away from all of her victory animations if Salem wins a game. It's not worse than if Fatality got top 8 for Disney

Minordeth

Smash Ace
False had such an unfortunate early death to Salem Game two, cause his Sheik was looking hella clean for a hot minute there.

Also, Salem looks like he is really trying this time around, so I wouldn't just write him off if he and Zero were to meet. He and Dabuz are the absolute kings of playing the player.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Smash 4 Bayo on Disney doesn't even seem to be bad lol. Likely going to cut away from all of her victory animations if Salem wins a game. It's not worse than if Fatality got top 8 for Disney
Now about SFV being shown on Disney....Laura, R.Mika Cammy ... omg lol

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Salem is trying to prove he's the best Bayonetta, man. Three top 8s at S-tiers in a row. Opening the year strong.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Abadango should've used Mewtwo
Abadango's Mewtwo got stomped by Nairo last time they played against each other. Aba's Bayonetta did respectable in all three sets all things considered, I don't think Dream Land is a good stage to let Nairo counterpick.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
How do you make it to top 12 at EVO doing that

EDIT: EVO 2017 Top 8

Winners:
ZeRo :4diddy: vs Tweek :4cloud2:
Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Larry Lurr :4fox:

Losers:
KEN :4sonic: vs Dabuz :rosalina:
Nairo :4zss: vs VoiD :4sheik:

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
For all those bayonettas in top 48, only one made it to top 8. For all the upsets that happened, this Top 8 isn't super surprising. I wish False could have made it in as a dark horse tho...

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
This is the least hype I've been for a Smash 4 tournament in quite a while.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Predictions:
ZeRo>Tweek
Salem>Larry Lurr
Dabuz>KEN
Nairo>VoiD
ZeRo>Salem
Nairo>Tweek
Dabuz>Larry Lurr
Nairo>Dabuz
ZeRo>Nairo

Winner: ZeRo
whoops, forgot Salem in the last part. Regardless, this looks like a solid victory for ZeRo.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
What I think will happen:
ZeRo > Tweek
Larry > Salem
Dabuz > KEN
Nairo > VoiD
Dabuz > Salem
Tweek > Nairo
ZeRo > Larry
Tweek > Dabuz
Larry > Tweek
ZeRo > Larry

ZeRo wins

What I want to happen:
ZeRo > Tweek
Larry > Salem
Dabuz > KEN
VoiD > Nairo
Dabuz > Salem
VoiD > Tweek
ZeRo > Larry
Dabuz > VoiD
Dabuz > Larry
Dabuz > ZeRo
Dabuz > ZeRo

Dabuz wins

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
For all those bayonettas in top 48, only one made it to top 8. For all the upsets that happened, this Top 8 isn't super surprising. I wish False could have made it in as a dark horse tho...
Bayonetta kind of collapsed on herself because of the bracket. 3 out of 6 Bayonettas were slated to take themselves out at 17th - the only real surprise is that Lima outlasted CaptainZack for 9th. Overall this feels like another great tournament for her results-wise, especially since most of the better performing players for her were up-and-comers.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I was secretly pulling for WaDi, False, or Cosmos(!) for top 8, but I'm okay with this. It's still not free for Zero:

He has Dabuz in there who has beaten him recently. I'd say 50:50 if they meet.

The last time he fought KEN, the latter was a minor adjustment away from beating him. I feel the same about Salem, even if their set count doesn't reflect it.
55:45 Zero for both.

Larry has been less fortunate, but he seems to be throwing in some really interesting mix ups lately, and I mean, it's Fox.
60:40 Zero

Nairo is fighting against both the MU and the player. While he is fully capable of beating Zero, he is still figuring out what combination of play style or characters works to do it even semi consistently.

Void and Tweek are gonna have a rough time if they meet Zero. 75:25 Zero for both.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
This is the least hype I've been for a Smash 4 tournament in quite a while.
Unless we see a Bowser from Nairo...yeah pretty much. But i stopped watching after Wadi was out lol.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
How do you make it to top 12 at EVO doing that

EDIT: EVO 2017 Top 8

Winners:
ZeRo :4diddy: vs Tweek :4cloud2:
Salem :4bayonetta2: vs Larry Lurr :4fox:

Losers:
KEN :4sonic: vs Dabuz :rosalina:
Nairo :4zss: vs VoiD :4sheik:
I can't tell if viewers want upsets or not lol

Upsets = Smash 4 is so inconsistent, Bayo is terrible, etc.

Standard top 8 = So not hype

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman

People want upsets because they shake things off until the very end: A tournament with a lot of upsets usually features an underdog who had the best run of his career and for whom this tournament would be his tournament: He usually becomes the crowd favorite over the familiar faces of Smash 4 because this amount of hype can't be brought from these familiar faces unless they go for a surprising counterpick that ( usually ) isn't a top tier character.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
People want upsets because they shake things off until the very end: A tournament with a lot of upsets usually features an underdog who had the best run of his career and for whom this tournament would be his tournament: He usually becomes the crowd favorite over the familiar faces of Smash 4 because this amount of hype can't be brought from these familiar faces unless they go for a surprising counterpick that ( usually ) isn't a top tier character.
Yeah, but don't upsets mean more when they aren't that common? Sucks when the dude you get hype over never gets close to winning anything ever again. But I guess that's fine. They love you until you're at the top.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
What I want to happen:
ZeRo > Tweek
Larry > Salem
Dabuz > KEN
VoiD > Nairo
Dabuz > Salem
VoiD > Tweek
ZeRo > Larry
Dabuz > VoiD
Dabuz > Larry
Dabuz > ZeRo
Dabuz > ZeRo

Dabuz wins
Last time you did this, most of came true. This time, Disney will make all your dreams that don't involve Team YP a reality.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

I'll be straight up, I wanted NAKAT in top 8 because Disney, and I wanted Raito and Ranai in top 8 because they use uncommon zoners that typically drown to DLC.

This top 8 is really...standard

Top Bottom