• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Summer of Smash Week 8: EVO 2017

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
EVO doesn't upload the sets to YT. It might be different if Disney uploads top 8, but I think we're out of luck unless someone else decides to
Doesn't top 8 usually get uploaded? and usually a few matches of top 32 too? That's what happened with the other 2 EVOs

JB333

Smash Apprentice
I actually convinced my dad to keep it on ESPNU to watch the set and he got into it LOL.

Fenny

Smash Ace
Perhaps looks isn't the right word.

He has certainly opened my eyes to the character. Insofar as that I believe him that she is genuinely broken and ****ed up. Def a char that doesn't have to play Smash at all rofl.
This tourney he went full Apex 2013 mode

Giving one of the best Smash players period control over a minimum top 2 character? You're gonna see some wacky **** go down

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Perhaps looks isn't the right word.

He has certainly opened my eyes to the character. Insofar as that I believe him that she is genuinely broken and ****ed up. Def a char that doesn't have to play Smash at all rofl.
Of all people to say this, I'm genuinely surprised it would come from you

Not that I fully dissagree...but geez fam lol

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere

I hypothesize that Salem only lost to Larry so that he could dip down into Losers Bracket and take out KEN real quick before winning the tournament. All part of his plan to prove that Sonic sucks and Bayo is OP.

Last edited:

Fenny

Smash Ace

Zack changed his bio from Best Bayo to Best Bayo dancer

Infinite respect for his humility tbh

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Well that GF made up for yesterday. I loved how back and forth it was right until the end.

Also, RIP Zer0's twitter. :laugh:

Fenny

Smash Ace
Also absolutely no surprise that Zero locked/wiped his Twitter

you just lost a super major as utterly huge in scale as EVO by literally the tiniest fraction of a hair's breadth, after getting reset no less, on national TV.

I can't even begin to understand how he must feel right now. That's the sort of thing that would make me go off the radar for eons.

He's gonna need all the space he can get. If he can bounce back from this then he's truly one of a kind.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
ZeRo played extremely aggressively in the last stock of the last match. It's no wonder he feels like ****. I would too if I just screwed myself out of 1st place at EVO with a bad decision. Not to take anything away from Salem, he played so well after all, but if you're ZeRo right now you gotta be feeling like utter ****.

And then you go on twitter, and you have people tweeting at you

"haha serves you right" from haters

and

"it's okay ZeRo you'll do better next time :) we believe in you!" from supporters

both kinds of messages would just make me feel worse if I were ZeRo, so yeah, deleting is the better option for now.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
What a grand finals. I have never been this excited watching Sm4sh before. Admittedly I am not a huge fan of any of the players, but I'm familiar with Salem because he's often on M2k's streams.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZeRo played extremely aggressively in the last stock of the last match. It's no wonder he feels like ****. I would too if I just screwed myself out of 1st place at EVO with a bad decision. Not to take anything away from Salem, he played so well after all, but if you're ZeRo right now you gotta be feeling like utter ****.

And then you go on twitter, and you have people tweeting at you

"haha serves you right" from haters

and

"it's okay ZeRo you'll do better next time :) we believe in you!" from supporters

both kinds of messages would just make me feel worse if I were ZeRo, so yeah, deleting is the better option for now.
It wasn't a bad decision to play aggressively, per-se. Looking at where he ended up w/out judging his decisions (he's the top player for a reason), it could be because he ended up trying to avoid grounded pokes/conversion tools too much. Ended up caught high up.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I don't blame ZeRo for playing aggressively.

ZeRo usually has a habit of continually cranking up aggression the further into a set goes. It's why people meme the whole "game 5 ZeRo". It usually works for him. He can play fairly passively during the beginning of the set and a lot of the time he seems to lull people into getting accustomed to one playstyle before he shifts things up and goes for the jugular. It worked for him consistently throughout the entire Top 8, notably so against Larry.

On top of that, ZeRo didn't forfeit his stock through aggression - I'd actually say the reason he failed was because he got cold feet and went on the defensive. Salem pressured him to the ledge and ZeRo attempted to monkeyflip above him to realign himself on the stage but this put Salem in an incredibly convenient position - and his reading of the SDI to finally succeed in doing a ladder combo against ZeRo despite failing the entire set to do it otherwise was an impressive feat.

So in a way ZeRo lost because he decided to reset to neutral with Diddy's increasingly punishable monkey flip when he should've just stood his ground. It was a rare moment of him going auto pilot when he didn't really need to. Considering ZeRo was on the ledge with a huge percentage advantage, I'm surprised he didn't try going for a pivot grab.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

I hypothesize that Salem only lost to Larry so that he could dip down into Losers Bracket and take out KEN real quick before winning the tournament. All part of his plan to prove that Sonic sucks and Bayo is OP.
This would be so hilarious if it was true.

Stiga

Smash Cadet
Man, how can people be soooooooo rude to ZeRo? He's an amazing player, and also a great guy. Many people would be extremely arrogant if they were at his place right now, but he's very gracious and very kind. Recently, he entered a weekly, where he wanted to have fun, using secondaries. He lost to Charliedaking, and came 4th (I think), using Lucina and Falcon against his Sheik. When he lost, people relentlessly attacked him on Twitter. I mean, seriously. He wanted to have fun at a weekly! What do people prove by being rude? Proving that they're stupid idiots with no sympathy? (Not an Ike reference) Now, he came 2nd at EVO to Salem, who is a fantastic player. They battled it out until Game 5 Set 2. ZeRo had a large lead but Salem killed him at 40% with Bayo combos. People have to hate on him on Twitter for coming 2nd by a hair? This is absolutely stupid. He disabled his Twitter, and I do not blame him. I do hope that he comes back, stronger, and shows those stupid haters that they are completely wrong.

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I've been super shocked and thrilled that Salem has won 1st place in the tournament, but I didn't know that ZeRo had temporarily disabled his Twitter just to back off the people who have been offending him for losing in Grand Finals, which is actually the right choice by him. Later tonight, he had tweeted that getting 2nd place is definitely something to be proud of, which proves that he has definitely been a very good sportsmanship and a great guy. I just don't understand why people had to accuse him for being toxic just for temporarily disabling his Twitter. I always give props to him for what he has done at EVO, and same goes for other players.

Last edited:

AkiraGr

Smash Cadet
NNID
AkiraGr
3DS FC
3480-2533-5239
I think it was karma. He was ****posting and making videos about Bayonetta character to reel up his fan base and the salty people because he has a real problem with the Bayonetta match up. This tournament shown that. Maybe he is a good guy, I think he is a very good player(not the best) and Salem kicked his behind to the moon.

Great EVO this year and amazing finals. Now I will wait a YouTube Zero video about Bayonetta and why she needs to be nerfed into infinity.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I think it was karma. He was ****posting and making videos about Bayonetta character to reel up his fan base and the salty people because he has a real problem with the Bayonetta match up. This tournament shown that. Maybe he is a good guy, I think he is a very good player(not the best) and Salem kicked his behind to the moon.

Great EVO this year and amazing finals. Now I will wait a YouTube Zero video about Bayonetta and why she needs to be nerfed into infinity.
...I'm pretty sure ZeRo hasn't actually lost in the Bayo MU until today. And he's consistently said Salem is an amazing player. And... he is the best player. There's really no argument against it...

Finally, you probably won't get what you're looking for. ZeRo and Salem have infinite respect for each other... and Salem is the one who will say Bayonetta is stupid broken. What is this

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Is this the first national Bayo has won?
You can kinda interpret 2GGT KTAR Saga from last July as a national, but this is the first undisputed national or major Bayo has won. I kinda had Salem's 2nd at Nairo Saga to ZeRo as a headcanon for a Bayo major win lol.

Here Rests A Cemetery

Banned via Administration
If we looked at Bayonetta's moveset in a vacuum, contrast to the rest of the cast, she doesn't appear to be broken, or designed in a way where her tools are simply not beatable. I really wouldn't worry about Bayonetta.

Brawl MK and even Melee Fox is more centralizing.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
...I'm pretty sure ZeRo hasn't actually lost in the Bayo MU until today. And he's consistently said Salem is an amazing player. And... he is the best player. There's really no argument against it...

Finally, you probably won't get what you're looking for. ZeRo and Salem have infinite respect for each other... and Salem is the one who will say Bayonetta is stupid broken. What is this
well, he has lost to salem before at collision xiv, where salem double eliminated him from the tournament, but aside from that he hasn't lost to a bayonetta before. he's played and won various sets against zack, tyroy, child, and komo. he also won his last 3 encounters against salem, at ktar xix, genesis 4, and nairo saga (all very close sets). including the set he won against salem at last evo, zero is 4-4 against salem.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

If anything , what happened to Fatality could be considered Karma in its bluntest and cruelest form

Makes a video shortly before EVO saying Bayo is overated

Then loaes by two diffrent Bayo maina Mistake in winners, 9B in losers to be eliminated in EVO

Then Salem wins EVO

I actullay kinda feel a bit bad for Fatality now. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all.. but there going to be so many who are NEVEar going to let Fatality live this down.

Last edited:

HoSmash4

Smash Ace
Late bump but Fatalitys video is a very good resource. Salem winning was more of his good play rather than abusing a certain aspect of Bayos kit.

Top Bottom