• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Summer of Smash: Week #4 - CEO, Karisuma 8, Xanadu

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie, Sheik vs Mewtwo doesn't look particularly fun for Sheik - even on paper. Void is gonna have to pull out some major tricks...

Like switching to Fox?!

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Okay Void, channel Larry. You have his permission. Fox's Uair is almost tailor made for punishing Mewtwos bizarre double jump pathing.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Mewtwo looks like everything Sheik hates. Kills earlier and easier, hard to gimp, can air dodge out of strings, and is actually faster on the ground and can contest her aerials with his fast, meaty fair.

Can you imagine hearing this 4 months ago?

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I'm starting to realize that Mewtwo having an early kill throw on top of his buffs is just a BIT silly lol

Crazy sets leading up to top 8 man.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Dabuz went back to Rosalina thinking Abadango was going Mewtwo? Either way, Dabuz is playing good. For a moment things seemed bleak once the set started with a swift ladder to death, but he brought it back so well.

Abadango looked sorta lost against Olimar. It was an interesting pick since Dabuz seemed to focus completely on shutting down Abadango's ground game.
I think Dabuz switched because of the stage. Rosalina can get early kills on Dreamland64 and I think Rosa is scarier on Dreamland64 than Olimar as long as Rosalina isn't taken to the blastzone with MK's elevator.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
If mewtwo weighed a bit more than a feather I think he might be broken. The scary thing about Mewtwo is that that wasn't even his final form. Aba messed up edge cancels plenty of times, as well as his footstool kill confirms. That set would have been even more slaughter if Aba didn't mess up tech.

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
Anti vs. Mr. R
Zinoto vs. Dabuz
Larry vs. Abadango
False vs. Hyuga
Taking all bets people, taking all bets
(I actually want Larry or Abadango to win)

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
You know what the funniest thing about Abadango's Mewtwo?

He has barely tapped into all of Mewtwo's tech.

I'm serious. Ledge cancels, phasing, and DJ cancel disable out of Nair are the only advance Mewtwo tech he ever uses, he's mainly riding on his player skill to win.

Now imagine if he did?

:150:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So i can't see any of these since i am at work, but Zero got mulched by Larry, and Aba is mulching/mulched Void again?

Also I don't think Zero is #1 atm either. Like the #1 chars the spot for this game, it's a toss up.

This meta is so fun to watch scatter into inconsistent pieces like a frag grenade

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
The question is, who is the best at this point. Our previous contenders,Nairo and Ally, both did not make it to Sunday. I still think it could be Zero, but if not, I can see people leaning towards Dabuz.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
False is really good, but I don't see him making it any further in bracket. I'm surprised he got this far, when so many "better" players got out long ago. Think hyuga wins this one.

I've barely seen zinoto play, but I've known for a while that he's ridiculously good. Still think dabuz will win though.

Other matches are harder to say.. I can see mr r winning, he seems more consistent. Aba vs larry is super hard to decide, I don't know how well larry does against mewtwo.

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I know this is so early, but I still feel like ZeRo is #1 at the moment. Getting put into loser's early on in the tournament and fighting all the way to 9th is still an accomplishment, not to mention he placed higher than the other top players like Ally and Nairo. If he isn't top #1 anymore, than who is? I haven't seen the type of consistency from the other top players as much as I see from ZeRo.

If anything, the discussion of who's #1 can really begin brewing after EVO 2016.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
You know what the funniest thing about Abadango's Mewtwo?

He has barely tapped into all of Mewtwo's tech.

I'm serious. Ledge cancels, phasing, and DJ cancel disable out of Nair are the only advance Mewtwo tech he ever uses, he's mainly riding on his player skill to win.

Now imagine if he did?

What more amazing options does this already powerful character possess?

Goombo

Smash Apprentice
Is Mr. R the only player that doesn't have random/bad/embarrassing losses now?
His worst losses should be DKWill/MVD/Pink Fresh with prepatch Bayo if I'm not mistaken so yes. I think he could have the best claim for #1 at the moment but Dabuz overcoming Cloud and MK in recent time makes me question this again already.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Is Mr. R the only player that doesn't have random/bad/embarrassing losses now?
I think Dabuz is still safe from that iirc.

Also, quick predictions!

Anti > Mr.R
Dabuz>Zinoto
Larry > Abadango
Hyuga > False

Also something to note, besides Anti's millions of secondaries, we only have 1 repeat of a character, adn that is between False and Mr.R with Shiek. ALSO NO CLOUD HAH TOLD YOU HE AINT BROKEN

Fenny

Smash Ace
I know this is so early, but I still feel like ZeRo is #1 at the moment. Getting put into loser's early on in the tournament and fighting all the way to 9th is still an accomplishment, not to mention he placed higher than the other top players like Ally and Nairo. If he isn't top #1 anymore, than who is? I haven't seen the type of consistency from the other top players as much as I see from ZeRo.

If anything, the discussion of who's #1 can really begin brewing after EVO 2016.
The thing is, that consistency came before his break. And as we've seen over the past few months, we can't really apply that to him as he is now.

Post-break and you can see him struggle to get back to that level because the rate at which everyone was improving was underestimated until he left the scene. The placement of players is fluctuating as wildly as the metagame is, and right now ZeRo can't keep up as much as he wants to. While OVERALL he might be #1, for the time being we can't call him #1 CURRENTLY, because he simply hasn't shown it. Larry reading him like a history professor today is a prime example of that.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Everyone has a few "bad" losses, Zero's are the fewest in number and least severe, he's still the best until he loses more or someone else can win consistently.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Everyone has a few "bad" losses, Zero's are the fewest in number and least severe, he's still the best until he loses more or someone else can win consistently.
I still agree taht Zero is the best player, but I think Mr.R and Dabuz have less severe losses.

Djent

Smash Champion
Dabuz and Mr.R have both finished outside of top 8 at least once, and below 2nd numerous times. So I disagree. I'm guessing you're thinking in terms of who they've lost to, but even then they lost to people like MVD and Fatality.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Aba has a great sense of humor I see ~

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Dabuz and Mr.R have both finished outside of top 8 at least once, and below 2nd numerous times. So I disagree. I'm guessing you're thinking in terms of who they've lost to, but even then they lost to people like MVD and Fatality.
So you're saying those two are worse than Seagull Joe and Prince Ramen? I feel like our of those 3, Zero has lost to the worser players(certainly not saying Ramen and Seagull are bad they are amazing players)however MVD and Farality are better.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
What more amazing options does this already powerful character possess?
Using teleport ledge cancel to ledge trump, using down throw to platform lock, pivot tilts, phasing with aerials BESIDES Fair (did you know Mewtwo can literally use every move beside Dair and Disable out of SHAD?), fully charged shadow balls, Disable mix ups, etc.

There is more than that but I am lazy.

Sheik is still top 3, right guys?
Yes she is.

Top Bottom