• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sudden Tech Skill

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I recently learned how to SHFFL consistently and I felt like I wasn't making any improvements until suddenly I just started doing it. Has this ever happened to any of you? BTW this is my first post, I'm sorry if I did something wrong.

mers

Smash Ace
I know exactly what you mean. The best example for me would be pivots. I went forever at around 20% consistency on pivot fsmash, and then one day it shot up to 90% in a short while.

Like learning to ride a bike.

BEES

Smash Lord
nope learned everything through brute force

I also take a while to warm up every time I play. I do suck though, which may have something to do with it. Not at tech skill, but in general.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've had days where I've 0-death'd lvl 1 fox with ganon's cg until I ko'd him with a bair (he always DI's behind). I'm nowhere near good enough to do it on command.

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
I have the same kind of thing. I stay at the same skill level for awhile, then I have a break through and start ******.

Pengie

Smash Lord
This happened to me so much that it was actually depressing; I'd go from wavedashing out of turnaround JCed shines to sloppy *** waveshines over the course of a day.

Van.

Smash Ace
This happened for me with L-cancelling fox's drill shine. 5 hours of missing almost all of them and then the sixth hour was boom consistency.

mizujin

Smash Cadet
I know what you mean. I could never wavedash out of the shine a while back, and then I'm suddenly waveshining across FD without a problem.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
I SHFFL with 20% consistancy...

But Pivot Ftilt with 80%

I ****ing OOOOOOOOOWWWWWNNNNNNN at this tech skill THAAANG
too good

Techskill is for noobs. I don't do anything but mindgame the carp out of your pants to win.

And that only gets better every time. :p

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I was able to SHDL with Fox with X and B back in 2006 on the first day I tried to practice it and was doing it consistently.
I've never been able to do it since.

LLDL

Smash Hero
One day I randomly learned to do reverse jc shines for no reason.

Geist

Smash Master
Well considering to get shffling wrong you only have to be off by the smallest fraction of a second it's not surprising. If for whatever reason you do it a fraction differently one day and get it right, and you get the muscle memory down, it all works out.
I practiced SHFFM with Samus for a while, and when I realized I wasn't going anywhere I stopped, only to realize 2 weeks later I was able to do them almost every time.

Glitchy

Smash Cadet
This has happened to me...
But more often then not it's reversed, being able to consistently nair>shine with Fox for a week to not being able to do it the next day really pisses me.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
I practice SHFFM with Samus for like a week. Then I did it three times in a row. Then I could never do it again.

I was sad.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I often practice something, and can't do it. Then i go to sleep wake up and can. I often do this with everything. I learn in my sleep.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Apex was my first tourney (just been playin my lil bro for 2 years) I went there and was doing pretty good, by the time I left I was Usmashing OoS, shining Oos shinegrabbing and legit shield pressure all second nature. It was insane everytime I did one of those things I was like whooooooa lol. But then it stopped for abit after Apex, but its coming back :D

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
One morning I woke up and moonwalking was implemented into my game with fox.

No idea how.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Some days I'll randomly do jumps into upairs instead of jc upsmash... Very sad. Especially since I've been playing a lot of pikachu recently.

Bing

Smash Master
haha some days I can wave shine as fox, others Im like "fml i thought i had this"

on that note, anyone got a tip on wave shining? still havent got it down and youtube videos are useless.
"first you shine, then wave dash, shine then wavedash" <-- oh gee thanks tips I didnt know that

Corrupt Wolf

Smash Rookie
I often practice something, and can't do it. Then i go to sleep wake up and can. I often do this with everything. I learn in my sleep.
That is the same type of thing that happens for me. The short hop laser with Falco for example. I wasn't able to do it correctly so I waited a few days, came back and I was doing it consistently.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
haha some days I can wave shine as fox, others Im like "fml i thought i had this"

on that note, anyone got a tip on wave shining? still havent got it down and youtube videos are useless.
"first you shine, then wave dash, shine then wavedash" <-- oh gee thanks tips I didnt know that
Important things to note: The timing differs for whether you're hitting someone with the shine or not. The time between when you shine and jump increases if you're hitting something.

The timing for the airdodge in a waveshine is the same as if you were doing a wavedash. You just have to get used to the timing for the jump out of shine. It's not instant.

If you're jumping out of your shine, you're either airdodging too early, or not at all.
If you just shine, and don't get the wavedash out of it, you're trying to jump too early.

Just try and do it slowly, and figure out the timing. Then try to get consistent with it. Then try and get it consistent against a cpu. Finally, try and get it consistent against another player, under pressure.

Also, techskill is hard.

CryBay-B

Smash Rookie
I used to play link, i stopped and got better at the game, i love link, but he's not good to learn advanced tech skill w/

Top Bottom