• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
ok. thought about this. do you guys have any personal rules for when to and when to NOT go for rests?

1. mid % on last stock, going for a rest is DANGEROUS. only if big confidence in a read/combo.
2. if the opponent can kill you in one hit off their next stock, DONT REST. (they can di to die off the side so they come back faster and hit you)
3. against certain characters, be more daring with rests as they can't punish us as hard. which characters should you be more careful with going for rests?

if someone could please help me develop a good understanding that would be much appreciated.
Rest at really low percents or really high percents

It depends how brave you are

the reward is worth the punishment

dudutsai

Smash Lord
How do you edgeguard fox when he's up b'ing below the stage and you don't have enough time to go off and kill him?

Tamoo

Smash Master
I usually plant a dair on the edge and when he drops down, drop down with fair etc. I think they may be able to SDI onto the stage if you misspace it though but I've had good success with it.

Also finally starting to banish my fox demons now lol

idea

Smash Master
- edgehop dair so it pushes them away; move away from them as you're doing it basically. that's how all dairs work, if you move left while hitting them, they go further right.
- if you time it, the bottom of rising dair will hit them but not trade with firefox...then you can do something else in time.
- pound at them or through their trajectory, bair them after if possible...it can be hard to do without trading with firefox, though.
- fair or bair them toward the stage...this is the worst since they can usually tech, but it's still better than nothing. if you weak fair it might hit them but not let them tech.
- what i do a lot but it seems hard: grab the edge, reverse fair so you get the strong hit while still invincible.

as a rule of thumb, jump and immediately do an aerial just as they firefox at you...it's pretty good at beating firefox.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Like if you hit them from the other side of the stage. Or if they got shined off by your teammate who accidentally SD'd.

Or if they jumped off the other side while your were continuously grabbing one side of the ledge.

Imagination

idea

Smash Master
ohh...then...you pretty much have to guess. you could wait for them to go onstage and just grab, or you could crouch then uptilt after the fire is gone, if they go at the perfect angle for it...but if you're doing that it's probably better to crouch, wait, then grab them.

if they firefox so that they go past the edge at an angle you can bair them normally pretty much.

if they space it so they go right to the edge there's not much you can do, unless you have time to get there first yourself. in which case i would either hold the edge or get invincibility and try to jump + reverse fair. that's kind of gimmicky though lol

Mahone

Smash Champion
???

Mabye i'm misunderstanding ur situation, but you should just downsmash.... no need to do all this other ****, i think dsmash is a little hard to time, but with practice it is probably your best bet.

If you are saying u are at like midstage and hes recovering, then you have to jump and do a bair really low to the ground to hit the ledge.

Mahone

Smash Champion
I think so, but i'm not sure, i can test it out later and let you know, but i mean, on yoshis fox cant do that, and in general fox players don't do that because they are in a rush to get back on stage

If you are talking about when they go up and then autograb horizontally, then it probably won't hit, and you should fsmash instead

idea

Smash Master
yeah dsmash can hit them at that angle, but it usually won't and will probably trade at best.

the problem with jiggs' dsmash is that it only has a (usable) hitbox for TWO FRAMES. i think there are one or two more frames that might work if they're, like, inside you.

so yes, it is hard to time, it almost has to be frame-perfect. if you can hit with it every time, good for you, but it's not fair to expect that of a human.

also, since the timing is so precise, you can only cover one option at a time. if they pick a firefox angle you're not expecting you'll most likely miss. and they could very well have time to get onstage and kill you in its lag.

did i mention they can usually tech it too?

tl;dr: dsmash is bad vs. firefox because it's very unreliable

edit: good times to use it are against illusion on spacies (still one of the worst options) and against falcon when he up-b's high, is going to end up near and above the edge, and isn't going to land on a platform. it's alright on falcon's recovery in general, it's just that he can tech it.

and uhhh...if marth up-b's above you and doesn't hit you.
and...if peach floats at you at the edge while recovering for some reason.

Mahone

Smash Champion
yeah dsmash can hit them at that angle, but it usually won't and will probably trade at best.

the problem with jiggs' dsmash is that it only has a (usable) hitbox for TWO FRAMES. i think there are one or two more frames that might work if they're, like, inside you.

so yes, it is hard to time, it almost has to be frame-perfect. if you can hit with it every time, good for you, but it's not fair to expect that of a human.

also, since the timing is so precise, you can only cover one option at a time. if they pick a firefox angle you're not expecting you'll most likely miss. and they could very well have time to get onstage and kill you in its lag.

did i mention they can usually tech it too?

tl;dr: dsmash is bad vs. firefox because it's very unreliable
you can react to the angle they are doing it at and just do it right before they are about to hit you, and most people don't tech it.

Also, if you downsmash it sends them at a great angle, and a lot of times you can just edgehog afterwards, instead of having to follow up with more aerials, giving yourself more chances to mess up.

Also, i think if you charge it and then trade at like mid/high percents, it will kill them anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdhbK7Bi5GE&feature=related#t=1m10s

Also, thats the problem with this world idea, we don't expect humans to react in 2 frames. I think its time we start expecting more from humans ya know? I'm sure ur happy with how things are... humans going to their 9-5s, starting at their ****ing cubicles and waiting for Sally from HR to come over so you can talk about last nights lost episode, then one day it just hits you... you realize your whole life you've been putting limits on yourself: i can't get that promotion, i can't downsmash a firefox, and who do you take it out on? Your wife and kids, and now their lives are ****ed up, because you decided to drink and take all that pent up anger out on them...

Tekk

Smash Lord
GFs of a small tourney I won this weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXRzxMpTVlc
+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJrm7c5TJno

I'd like some advice based on these matches please...Though I've already seen plenty of things I did wrong, like missing a lot of edgeguards, not Uairing enough, and pressing start like a cocky ******* (I was undergoing a lot of stress, since winning this tourney meant getting some props in the french smash scene).

idea

Smash Master
lol, rondoudou is adorable

uhh...yeah i pretty much agree with what you said. upair more, especially since he keeps going above you/camping you on platforms. don't mess up punishes/edgeguards. don't always do rising aerials, it gets predictable after a while and fox will start taking the chance to get underneath you...

oh, and you don't have to techchase regrab on platforms, you can just follow him and rest. upthrow gives him the opportunity to DI into a safer position, which he did most of the time.

hmm...there's something else to say, but i can't put my finger on it. maybe it's just spacing?

i thought it was funny every time upsmash hit you and you went nowhere.

nice nairs =)

Tekk

Smash Lord
i thought it was funny every time upsmash hit you and you went nowhere.
What do you mean exactly ?
Thanks for the critique man.

Currently watching your vid Mahone, I'll edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT:
I really like your spacing and your Fair spam, but I think you should do more shorthops, especially SH Nairs, which are a good setup for a grab on the spacies.
Not to forget the FH Nair as well, which is good to hit a full-hoping fox.
You should also focus on always DIing those dirty fox upthrows behind him, it'll make it much harder for him to Uair you if you always do that, and it'll make SDIng out of the Uairs easier too.
Apart from that, I think it would help you to use more SideB's when fox is near the ledge, and you're at the stage center: they usually aren't likely to be expected, and they hurt dash dancing foxes really bad (because they happen to DI the wrong way because of their dash dance, and that's actually how I beat Doraki the last match of the 2nd set lol).

I think I have things to learn from your puff, especially concerning the edgeguards and the fair pressure. :)

Tekk

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, that haha. xD
Well yea, the PAL version is "smoother" for Puff, because she does not fear getting grabbed by sheik as much as she does in NTSC, and the Fox' upsmash kills a bit later (64% from the ground exactly if not charged at all, but it also depends on the stage).

Tekk

Smash Lord
Yes it is. :D
By the way Kage, my buddy Antholink (or Panda Soldier) told me he had a talk with you.
Please don't give our local Rockcrock too much advice, I don't wanna get ***** by a wild, pissed off and canadian-trained ganon.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Haha well advice can only go so far.. I can guide someone to a door but I can't open it for him. In the end, everyone needs find the things that will help them to success, it's generally the same for everyone but everyone plays differently so they need to find their own answers. But.. you know.. I'll do everything to decrease the jigglypuffs.. lol. =)

Tekk

Smash Lord
Yeah don't worry, we got a solid smash community here in Lyon (porc and Salepate being the best-known players of it, you might have heard of them), and every single player quickly improves. For instance, and I don't wanna seem cocky, I only started playing melee a year and a half ago, and thanks to the Lyon smash crew, I became pretty decent, and I'm not willing to stop improving, ever. =)

I hope you north americans come to Europe some day, it'd be fun to see your ganons and your foxes made weaker by the marvellous PAL version. :D

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I wanted to go to Beast 2 but I'm not sure how feasible that is.. It's so $$$ from Canada to EU.. omg.. lol. If you can find tickets for less than 1k. Please tell me! lol.

balloonwalla

Smash Rookie
Watching Mango replays are so orgasmic and frustrating at the same time. I try playing like him and wind up getting owned. He always knows when to up tilt and hits almost every aerial. Sigh :( Guess imma go play some more puff :). Seriously though how does he make it look so easy?

Tekk

Smash Lord
Well a mango fanboy would say "he just *****", but I honestly can't find anything else to answer that question lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom