• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Still another week till smash 4 is out here :<....

Have fun americans.... hahaha...

-Charges lazorzz- >=)
Heh, you'll be having more fun than me, even though my country's getting the game first! I'm gonna have to wait a while to get my copy of the game (probably for Christmas), unless my parents decide to get it for me earlier than that just cause they know how much I want it.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
So I found out a meetup I'm going to in December is holding a Smash 4 tourney! I've already placed my entry and I'm gonna do my best to represent ROB! Hopefully all goes ell and I make a bit of a name for myself and for ROB in the UK scene!

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
So I found out a meetup I'm going to in December is holding a Smash 4 tourney! I've already placed my entry and I'm gonna do my best to represent ROB! Hopefully all goes ell and I make a bit of a name for myself and for ROB in the UK scene!
Nice! Make us and R.O.B. proud!!! :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
We'll be cheering for ya! R-O-B R.O.B.! R-O-B R.O.B.!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well the results on in on the non vs way of getting R.O.B

Its definatly by crazy orders

Get to round 8 or higher then R.O.B will pop out

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
Hey, does anybody know what percentages jab1-->grab becomes a thing (or is it never really a legitimate combo)? All I can glean from playing is that it seems to work at high percentages and not at low percentages.

Also, what characters does R.O.B's SH AC B-air NOT connect with when they stand up? It seems to whiff on quite a few of them, rendering it pretty bad, as you need to do it quickly after the short hop in order to autocancel to avoid the egregious lag, which means it's pretty much the highest point in your jump.

Lastly, does anyone know the trip percentage for d-tilt? Thanks.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
So I had a smashfest on friday and when we were unlocking chars in WiiU we got to ROB and he completely destroyed one of my friends lol. Camped him all around the wrecking crew stage and then daired him while he was recovering once. Can't wait for ROB amiibo lmao

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does anyone know what pose and colour the R.O.B. alt trophy is on the Wii U version?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Does anyone know what pose and colour the R.O.B. alt trophy is on the Wii U version?
He's using his side smash, and the color varies on the region (NA- grey and white, Japan- red and white). Still really upset that I won't be able to get a red and white R.O.B. trophy in the NA version of the game. Nice nod to the West? Yes. Do I approve? HECK NO.

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
Very simple question:

At 50 seconds in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNktP2PG-4#t=50s

Vinnie manages to pick up his top and bair in one movement. I know if I press jump and spot dodge while over a top I will jump into the air holding the top with basically no lag but I have yet to nail down how to do a Bair instead of just throwing the top. It was on 3ds so it doesn't involve C-stick.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I didn't play a lot of Brawl so I am unfamiliar with its unique item mechanics that seem to have carried over to this game.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Very simple question:

At 50 seconds in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNktP2PG-4#t=50s

Vinnie manages to pick up his top and bair in one movement. I know if I press jump and spot dodge while over a top I will jump into the air holding the top with basically no lag but I have yet to nail down how to do a Bair instead of just throwing the top. It was on 3ds so it doesn't involve C-stick.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I didn't play a lot of Brawl so I am unfamiliar with its unique item mechanics that seem to have carried over to this game.
I'm not @ChiboSempai but I can help answer that moment. .

Basically the reason he was able to pick up the Gyro & land with no lag is because Yoshi's Island's outer area of the stage are sliiiiiiiiightly slanted higher up & the center area is lower; this helps that buffered SH > B-air input become lagless.

If Vinnie had not RAR'd first, he wouldn't of been able to do that in that clip @:50

Last edited:

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
So is there a way to perform air moves while holding the gyro aside from buffering? Also, I am familiar with buffering things in melee with the c-stick, to buffer a bair like this am I literally just inputting it as I jump and press L over a top very quickly?

I understand how to get lagless landings on bair, my overall concern is how to perform aerials at all with a gyro in hand.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So is there a way to perform air moves while holding the gyro aside from buffering? Also, I am familiar with buffering things in melee with the c-stick, to buffer a bair like this am I literally just inputting it as I jump and press L over a top very quickly?
Sorry for taking another question from ya @ChiboSempai :c

For that situation of being over the item yeah, as long as you buffer the SH > F-air / B-air or D-air, you'll instantly catch it.

And you can perform aerials with a Gyro in-hand but it requires you to Z-drop the Gyro in possession airborne, then buffer an aerial input to Z-catch the item & still perform that B-air. This can be called ZAC aka Z-Aerial Catch

Last edited:

Float SSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Floatwall
3DS FC
0774-4349-7765
Okay thanks for the help! I don't know that I will main ROB or anything but that caught my eye and I wanted to study up :D

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
(pulled from the general discussion thread, didn't get answered there haha)

Does anybody know what percentages jab1-->grab becomes a thing (or is it never really a legitimate combo)? All I can glean from playing is that it seems to work at high percentages and not at low percentages. Also, does jab1-->u-smash/d-smash ever become legit? I've managed to pull off jab1-->u-smash but I'm not sure whether you can get out of it or not.

Also, what characters does R.O.B's SH AC B-air NOT connect with when they stand up? It seems to whiff on quite a few of them, rendering it pretty bad, as you need to do it quickly after the short hop in order to autocancel to avoid the egregious lag, which means it's pretty much the highest point in your jump. Sometimes you'll get the second, weaker hit of B-air to hit, though, but it's not very profitable.

Does anyone know for sure the trip rate on d-tilt? in brawl it was 40%, and a self-confessed 'data miner' told me that the code was 3E4CCCCD. So uh, can anyone make sense of that? lol.

Last edited:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
So glide toss is back? how much distance does rob get?

Anyone test it out and find anything cool?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
R.O.B.s boxing ring title in the pal version is apparently "Robotic Obliterating Buddy"

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
R.O.B.s boxing ring title in the pal version is apparently "Robotic Obliterating Buddy"
Really? That's flipping awesome!

Now uh... I'm gonna sound stupid asking this... which version is PAL version? In other words, what does PAL stand for?

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Really? That's flipping awesome!

Now uh... I'm gonna sound stupid asking this... which version is PAL version? In other words, what does PAL stand for?
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/PAL

And man I loved Glide tossing in SSBB. Personally I think the R.O.B. from SSBB was more fun to play with anyway. I still like SSB4 R.O.B. a lot and it is by far my favorite, but I miss the fast Robo Burner, using aerials while in Robo Burner, the long Ftilt, SH double Fair, and even using aerials while holding my Gyro by utilizing Robo Burner.

I do like the Arm Rotor buff a lot though as most R.O.B.'s probably do, but I think R.O.B. lost more than that he gained.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/PAL

And man I loved Glide tossing in SSBB. Personally I think the R.O.B. from SSBB was more fun to play with anyway. I still like SSB4 R.O.B. a lot and it is by far my favorite, but I miss the fast Robo Burner, using aerials while in Robo Burner, the long Ftilt, SH double Fair, and even using aerials while holding my Gyro by utilizing Robo Burner.

I do like the Arm Rotor buff a lot though as most R.O.B.'s probably do, but I think R.O.B. lost more than that he gained.
I think he gained more than he lost, but he's just not quite as uh... his usual self I guess, for lack of a better phrase. It'll take a while to adapt. And...

YOU CAN'T USE AERIALS WHILE USING ROBO-BURNER ANYMORE?!?! CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!!!!!

Wait, if he's really high in the air, and you stop using Robo-burner, can he use them on his way down, then go back into Robo-burner after an aerial or two?

Finally, dang it. No "Robotic Obliterating Buddy" for me...

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
You can use aerials to cancel robo burner, but if you have an item in your hand you throw it (and this for some reason causes the infinite robo burner glitch) and you can't keep using fuel to lift during the aerial like in brawl

there's also a short animation at the start where you can't cancel with an aerial, maybe 20ish frames

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think he gained more than he lost, but he's just not quite as uh... his usual self I guess, for lack of a better phrase. It'll take a while to adapt. And...

YOU CAN'T USE AERIALS WHILE USING ROBO-BURNER ANYMORE?!?! CURSE YOU NINTENDO!!!!!!

Wait, if he's really high in the air, and you stop using Robo-burner, can he use them on his way down, then go back into Robo-burner after an aerial or two?

Finally, dang it. No "Robotic Obliterating Buddy" for me...
I meant that in SSBB if you were holding a Gyro but decided you wanted to attack instead of throwing your Gyro you could use B^ followed by your earial and R.O.B. would perform an aerial while holding his Gyro. In SSB4 doing this will cause R.O.B. to throw his Gyro instead of performing the aerial.
You can use aerials to cancel robo burner, but if you have an item in your hand you throw it (and this for some reason causes the infinite robo burner glitch) and you can't keep using fuel to lift during the aerial like in brawl

there's also a short animation at the start where you can't cancel with an aerial, maybe 20ish frames
The infinite Robo Burner glitch is a huge plus though. I love it.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thanks for clearing that up, 1FC0 and dettadeus. So, he can still perform aerials pretty well, you just stop using Robo-Burner for a second or two, correct? And, you can't move in any direction with Robo-Burner while performing an aerial, right?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Thanks for clearing that up, 1FC0 and dettadeus. So, he can still perform aerials pretty well, you just stop using Robo-Burner for a second or two, correct? And, you can't move in any direction with Robo-Burner while performing an aerial, right?
True.

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Not sure if this has already been mentioned (skimmed this thread and didn't see it), but ROB seemed to have received some changes to upb.

Normally, when ROB is out of fuel and you try to upb again, he'll do a pitiful attempt at boosting, hover a bit, then fall; however, you can get significant height out of this in some scenarios. For instance, if you run ROB out of fuel and grab the ledge and then use upb without touching the stage, you'll still receive a pretty significant vertical boost. That's not all though. In this out of fuel state, once ROB is within a vertical certain distance from the stage, he'll be able to get that same upb boost. To do this, upb till you run out of fuel, aerial (so you can use upb again), then upb once you're around Olimar height above the stage. You can do this multiple times and never touch the ground. I'm not sure how useful this will be, but it's pretty fun to perform.

Pretty sure this is related to his new hover animation, but not sure what the stage/ledge have to do with it. I would post a video to clarify, but unfortunately I lack the tools to do so. This was tested with regular robo burner and high speed burner; I haven't yet unlocked his third upb. This is likely a glitch that will be patched eventually though.

Hopefully I'm not a complete idiot, and this is the real 'infinite robo burner' glitch.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
Not sure if this has already been mentioned (skimmed this thread and didn't see it), but ROB seemed to have received some changes to upb.

Normally, when ROB is out of fuel and you try to upb again, he'll do a pitiful attempt at boosting, hover a bit, then fall; however, you can get significant height out of this in some scenarios. For instance, if you run ROB out of fuel and grab the ledge and then use upb without touching the stage, you'll still receive a pretty significant vertical boost. That's not all though. In this out of fuel state, once ROB is within a vertical certain distance from the stage, he'll be able to get that same upb boost. To do this, upb till you run out of fuel, aerial (so you can use upb again), then upb once you're around Olimar height above the stage. You can do this multiple times and never touch the ground. I'm not sure how useful this will be, but it's pretty fun to perform.

Pretty sure this is related to his new hover animation, but not sure what the stage/ledge have to do with it. I would post a video to clarify, but unfortunately I lack the tools to do so. This was tested with regular robo burner and high speed burner; I haven't yet unlocked his third upb. This is likely a glitch that will be patched eventually though.

Hopefully I'm not a complete idiot, and this is the real 'infinite robo burner' glitch.
Don't bother with his other custom Up B. It doesn't run on robo fuel I think.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So I've been looking for a secondary for MU's that are harder for Duck Hunt. I've tested many many characters, but have been avoiding ROB since I co-mained him in Brawl with G&W.

Nothing has stuck so far, but when I play as ROB, I feel much more confident in my winning ability, and know my way around his moves, as they are very similar.

My question is do you ever feel guilty playing ROB? I always get the feeling I'm using a character that someone may consider "OP". I don't necessarily think it's this way, but he's definitely a capable fighter.

Maybe I just feel guilty winning too. Twice I've apologized at local tournaments for winning Grand Finals. Am I being too sensitive? I don't want to have to apologize for playing a character I loved in Brawl, before he got super popular...

1FC0

Smash Lord
So I've been looking for a secondary for MU's that are harder for Duck Hunt. I've tested many many characters, but have been avoiding ROB since I co-mained him in Brawl with G&W.

Nothing has stuck so far, but when I play as ROB, I feel much more confident in my winning ability, and know my way around his moves, as they are very similar.

My question is do you ever feel guilty playing ROB? I always get the feeling I'm using a character that someone may consider "OP". I don't necessarily think it's this way, but he's definitely a capable fighter.

Maybe I just feel guilty winning too. Twice I've apologized at local tournaments for winning Grand Finals. Am I being too sensitive? I don't want to have to apologize for playing a character I loved in Brawl, before he got super popular...
If you follow the tournament rules then you are playing fair. Your opponent himself decided to join a tournament where R.O.B. is allowed, so obviously he has no right to complain about R.O.B. and you should not apologize for using R.O.B.

Even if R.O.B. was broken then it would be the TO's fault for allowing him, not your fault for using him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom