• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or is R.O.B. secret high tier this game? I mean in the right hands (ie. my hands) he is an absolute monster. He's impossible to approach, has really strong combo potential, one of the best DACUSs in the game and an absurdly quick OoS Dsmash. All of this plus the ability to gimp with well-thrown Gyros and two really strong custom up-specials just make him a really scary character to play against.

I played him solid for a couple days this week and had a 90-odd% winrate. Insane.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Is it just me or is R.O.B. secret high tier this game? I mean in the right hands (ie. my hands) he is an absolute monster. He's impossible to approach, has really strong combo potential, one of the best DACUSs in the game and an absurdly quick OoS Dsmash. All of this plus the ability to gimp with well-thrown Gyros and two really strong custom up-specials just make him a really scary character to play against.

I played him solid for a couple days this week and had a 90-odd% winrate. Insane.
It's R.O.B.. Of course he's top tier. :p

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

You just got me excited :4rob: is one of my mains in smash

So R.O.B could be devistating in my hands as well.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
What are your favorite custom R.O.B. builds? Mine is Standard Laser, Standard Arm Rotor, Quick Burner, and Slip Gyro.

I just absolutely love how slip gyro forces tripping on grounded opponents. And Quick Burner allows me to avoid all the gimps.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am still thinking about what mine is but it probably includes the fast laser. I really like the fast laser.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I only like ROBs up special customs, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a side b custom. Laser customs are strongish but the default one is best, imo, with that short animation. Plus the cooldown isn't as significant as Brawl's was iirc (I didn't play much ROB in Brawl though). Gyro customs are the only no- no for me, cause uncharged Gyro release offstage is one of the best gimp tools in the game against vertically-recovering heavy characters like Shulk, Megaman and Ganon.

Byxis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Byxis7
3DS FC
4656-8308-4770
I only like ROBs up special customs, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a side b custom. Laser customs are strongish but the default one is best, imo, with that short animation. Plus the cooldown isn't as significant as Brawl's was iirc (I didn't play much ROB in Brawl though). Gyro customs are the only no- no for me, cause uncharged Gyro release offstage is one of the best gimp tools in the game against vertically-recovering heavy characters like Shulk, Megaman and Ganon.
You might like Slip Gyro for that reason. R.O.B. sends it at a very good downwards angle when shot from the air.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
honestly, I can't choose over which is my fav. it depends on who I'm fighting against. for big and easy to gimp characters, I go for robo rocket (up 2). the spike it has is a monster! as for side specials, if I fight a projectile-heavy character like samus or link, I go for the reflector (side 2). it's also an amazing gimping tool, the way it lets you hover for a moment and slowly fall. and the way it hits under the stage might as well make it a spike. I can't choose between the power of normal laser or versatility of angled laser... as for the gyro, slip all the way! it has nearly the same trajectory in the air as the normal one, so its not really a nerf to the gyro gimps. but the grounded trip is too good, probably better than bananas now...

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I won't lie, I haven't used ROB customs much. I'm just so used to the ordinary Gyro arc that any other is jarring for me. I guess it's something I'll try and look at.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm waiting for the Wii U version to come out, but I'll most likely just end up playing R.O.B. as is. I mean, it's not like I'll be using those custom moves in online battles, so what's the big deal with learning them in normal combat? It's not like the cpus use custom moves (or do they? I don't have 3DS version so an answer to this would be appreciated).

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting for the Wii U version to come out, but I'll most likely just end up playing R.O.B. as is. I mean, it's not like I'll be using those custom moves in online battles, so what's the big deal with learning them in normal combat? It's not like the cpus use custom moves (or do they? I don't have 3DS version so an answer to this would be appreciated).
CPUs do indeed use custom moves. Lots. Because of the huge number of possibilities of random characters when you have all custom moves unlocked you'll rarely see a CPU character without customs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
CPUs do indeed use custom moves. Lots. Because of the huge number of possibilities of random characters when you have all custom moves unlocked you'll rarely see a CPU character without customs.
Woe betide you if they decide to use gear with the "explosive perfect shield" effect.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hm. Guess that means I'll just have to get used to more skilled opponents with classic R.O.B.. I like the challenge...

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
that's the thing I like about ROB. he doesn't necessarily need the alternate movesets to be viable, but they do help out a lot against certain matchups. also silly. seriously love the shenanigans the slip gyro brings...

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
I haven't really used customs much, a lot of my friends prefer to turn them off…and the AI that I have tried to practice customs on uses some of the most outrageous equipment combinations…
but in the short amount of matches that I have used customs, I've used the infinite laser to rack up small damage that can make a difference later, it also helps to annoy my opponent since I can hit them at a distance almost anytime.
I also used the third side b as an edge gaurd a few times by falling from the ledge and smacking my opponent with it before they recover, eventually rendering them helpless when they get knocked back too far.
slip gyro is fun
I havent really played with any up customs, I like his recovery the way it is.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really used customs much, a lot of my friends prefer to turn them off…and the AI that I have tried to practice customs on uses some of the most outrageous equipment combinations…
but in the short amount of matches that I have used customs, I've used the infinite laser to rack up small damage that can make a difference later, it also helps to annoy my opponent since I can hit them at a distance almost anytime.
I also used the third side b as an edge gaurd a few times by falling from the ledge and smacking my opponent with it before they recover, eventually rendering them helpless when they get knocked back too far.
slip gyro is fun
I havent really played with any up customs, I like his recovery the way it is.
We need to share FCs and play around with customs sometime.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't really like using customs, I like using random but I don't like equipments, and I want to be able to choose my moves right before I fight MK7/8 style, but when playing with my brother, I have to set it up before we even connect.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Anyone has any tips for some bad MUs?

Rosaluma of course. It just feels impossible to get in and Gyro tactics don't really work because of Gravitation Field (or whatever it's called).

Greninja is also really hard. Feels like he can just toss out Water Shuriken and dash forward into grab pretty easily. From there this UThrow Uair is hard to DI/ VI out of.

ZSS. Feels like it's really hard to get anything going on her.

Shiek... What can I say. Dat UTilt.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Anyone has any tips for some bad MUs?

Rosaluma of course. It just feels impossible to get in and Gyro tactics don't really work because of Gravitation Field (or whatever it's called).

Greninja is also really hard. Feels like he can just toss out Water Shuriken and dash forward into grab pretty easily. From there this UThrow Uair is hard to DI/ VI out of.

ZSS. Feels like it's really hard to get anything going on her.

Shiek... What can I say. Dat UTilt.
Main tip against all of those is that you ALWAYS start the match with an uncharged Gyro throw. Leave it in the middle of the stage between you and the opponent and them approaching you is impossible without risking a laser into the face as they jump over the Gyro/perform a dash attack to grab it.

Rosaluma is the main problem as she can cast down-b against your laser, but this has a long animation and leaves her open for a dash attack into double fair combo. Greninja can't shuriken you from the opposite side of the stage, so play careful and space yourself with lasers and gyros. If he comes towards you with his aerials or shadow sneak your shield is your best weapon and most of his moves save his grab don't push you far enough away to stop a shieldgrab. When he grabs you and upthrows, don't focus on DI/VIng, just dodge asap. If you're at >50% you should have no problem airdodging it. <50% shouldn't be too much of a threat.

ZSS and Shiek are the two top characters that have the best matchups against ROB. They're not totally imbalanced in one favour, but they're an uphill climb. Best thing to remember is that ZSS's most dangerous moves are the ones which get you in the air, notably her grab and dash attack, and correct spacing with your Gyro helps you greatly. Shiek is a whole different terror, but your overall strategy needs to be offensive against her, as she wrecks defensive play with brilliant projectiles and strong punishes. Set up a Gyro and shoot out a laser to get her in the air, preferably closer to you, then dash attack to knock her up in the air and/or grab your Gyro. Then roll back and throw the Gyro out when you can hit her. If she blocks, throw out another Gyro and repeat.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
posted this a while ago on rosaluma:

honestly, rosa isn't as hard if you know what to do. whenever I fight one, I follow a small set of rules:

1. it takes one hit for luma to go in a stun phase. this is enough to cancel all of luma's moves, both normal and special.
2. when luma is close to the edge, make sure to hit it out. it will enter a helpless state and cannot be saved by recall. you now have 8 seconds + the time it takes for luma to touch the bottom blast zone to focus on rosa.
3. the instant luma appears, it can be hit but cannot be commanded by rosa, so if you're in a good position, get a good hit in to stop any plans rosa might have.
4. never grab rosa if luma is nearby. pretty simple.
5. if they're separated, you can actually bait rosa to attack by running to luma, then immediately going for rosa. this is more mindgames stuff though. its hard for a person to fight against 2 characters at once, but its also hard to control 2 characters at once. use this to your advantage.

hopefully this will help those fighting against rosa players.
IMO I feel the matchup has a very slight advantage towards rosa, but only when luma is out. one thing that ROB does have against her is that most of his moves send luma to a knockback state. if luma and rosa are separated, consider shooting luma with gyros and lasers insstead, especially if near the edge. also, you can bait the down b with a false gyro throw, then run in while she's vulnerable to get her or get rid of luma. spacing is also very important in this matchup.

Edit: for dash-happy characters, do a short hop, gyro drop, Nair or Fair. so satisfying...

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
R.O.B. didn't appear in the direct unfortunatly.

BUT MAJORA'S MASK 3D CONFIRMED!

Breadbot

Smash Cadet
I was so ready for cinematic R.O.B.

but hey, if allegedly all the amiibos come with some sort of mii skin in mario kart 8 that represents them…
R.O.B. mk8 skin confirmed?

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Neither did my ICies...dang it!
ICs won't get in, almost guaranteed, sadly. They were supposed to be in Smash 3DS but Sakurai said they just couldn't work on the system, and giving them to one version and not the other was out of the question.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I was so ready for cinematic R.O.B.

but hey, if allegedly all the amiibos come with some sort of mii skin in mario kart 8 that represents them…
R.O.B. mk8 skin confirmed?
Possibly.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
ICs won't get in, almost guaranteed, sadly. They were supposed to be in Smash 3DS but Sakurai said they just couldn't work on the system, and giving them to one version and not the other was out of the question.
I think we should take this to the ICies thread...

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B. mk8 skin confirmed?[/quote]

Only some of the first wave Amiibos are compatible with MK8.

Also thanks @ ThatLunaticFeline ThatLunaticFeline , I haven't had a chance to try these yet but I'm sure it will help a ton. Rosaluma ruins like 70% of the characters I like to play it seems. Not only that but I was soooo looking forward to playing Rosalina and Sheik (who was my Melee main), but now they are pretty popular and it just feels stale to use them.

Loving R.O.B. so far though. I've been playing a mixed zoning style that's been working out pretty nicely against most players, except those that sit in shield across the stage.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
ROB might be the best keepaway character in the game. I personally believe that he can even out-zone DHD. The stage control the gyro gives, along with the increased speed on the lasers can make him really annoying at max distance.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
It appears ROB is also pretty good at playing aggressive. I have watched some gameplay, and plan to try out these tactics as soon as I have enough time to practice.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
PICTURE TIME

Looks as if Jeff is doing some work.

Has R.O.B. met the love of his life?

Yes he has

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Through a Gamexplain video, I've been able to see what R.O.B.'s alias is on the Punch-Out stage. He's referred to as "The Last of His Kind". Kinda makes me feel bad for him...though it is a neat SSE reference.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, here's a pic:

ROB also has a grudge to settle with Ganondorf.
I wonder how the rest of the canon will be like if we get another story mode in the next game.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, here's a pic:
ROB also has a grudge to settle with Ganondorf.
I wonder how the rest of the canon will be like if we get another story mode in the next game.
Just makes me want to main him even more. I here for you lil' buddy!

I also just bought an actual R.O.B. so I feel like I'm doing my part in terms of R.O.B. love.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It would be funny if you would do a FFA in that stage with 4 R.O.B.'s and then that "The last of his kind" appears.

Just makes me want to main him even more. I here for you lil' buddy!

I also just bought an actual R.O.B. so I feel like I'm doing my part in terms of R.O.B. love.
I have 2 actual R.O.B.'s + Gyromite. Sorry buddy, but I am R.O.B.'s #1 fan.You guys can compete for second place.

doodbroh

Smash Rookie
--doesn't necessarily "reflect" Luma, but it destroys him. rotor goes through Luma's attacks nearly 100% if the time in my experience, and the last hit of will usually knock him back pretty far off the stage, or at least to an inconvenient place where Rosalina has no choice but to try to reposition. it's a funny matchup, because she can steal your gyro with her down-b, but if you play right against her she won't ever have Luma alive or where she wants him. You're both handicapped ^___^

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom