• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Structured Query Thread - R.O.B. Q&A

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've heard that each character has multiple cheers, not sure.

But I've heard at least one cheer for R.O.B., I think they start by saying "ROB" but then definitely go on to say "R, O, B. R, O, B."
Multiple?!?! Cheers?!?! HECK, YES! Now I'm looking forward to this game (and more specifically, R.O.B. being in it) more than ever!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Longtime R.O.B. mainer from Brawl here.

I can't believe I never bothered to come here to talk about how good he is in this game right after getting it. I suppose it was because I was busy over in the Robin and Charizard forums, but now I want to focus my time on R.O.B.'s metagame.

Never got all the flack he received in both Brawl and this game. He's an amazing character in his own right, and I was legitimately hyped by his leaked reveal back in 2008.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Did doubles with Bees yesterday, tried ROB/DHD (NES Remix), Doc/ROB (we were playing vs a Lucario/Jiggs team and needed earlier kills on Lucario), and then double ROB which ended up being pretty terrifying.

For anyone who says Gyro Cancelling isn't in, it's literally a one frame window input. You have to hit shield and downb on the same frame, then you have about 5ish frames to wavebounce it if you want to. Test in training's 1/4 speed mode, let go of L, hit downb and shield, then click L for a bit and release the inputs.

I also got 4th out of 22 in the singles tournament yesterday, losing to our state's best Brawl/PM player playing Little Mac (and I made the mistake of going Pika that set), then I lost to the guy who won the tournament with Lucario. I went mostly ROB, with one Lucario game to deal with a Mario player, two Pika games for the Little Mac, and one Peach game at the start of my set with the Lucario player (then I switched to ROB for the next two).

Last edited:

WiiGi

Smash Rookie
I usually use the gyro to space my opponent and approach at ease, using Nair's whilst the thrown gyro is floating in the air as a ricochet of hitting your opponent. Yet I only seem to be having trouble with Rosalina; She can use Gravitational pull to take my projectiles and takes the gyro away, and I'm forced to approach at close combat, something R.O.B isn't extremely well at doing (since his only options are to Fair or Nair). Even if it's a mind-game of two opponents, whether you will throw the Gyro or not, B-reversing for a follow up but you still get punished more from Lumas positioning. R.O.Bs usually relies on grabs majority of the time for any KOs, Fsmash and Upsmash are hard to land, when your Enemy Rosalinas is holding a shield anytime you're close to simply Counter attack/Grab. What can a R.O.B do to counter a good Rosalina? (I was playing Dabuz's Rosalina; I didn't think much about the matchup until after the trouble it was to deal any damage.)

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Did doubles with Bees yesterday, tried ROB/DHD (NES Remix), Doc/ROB (we were playing vs a Lucario/Jiggs team and needed earlier kills on Lucario), and then double ROB which ended up being pretty terrifying.

For anyone who says Gyro Cancelling isn't in, it's literally a one frame window input. You have to hit shield and downb on the same frame, then you have about 5ish frames to wavebounce it if you want to. Test in training's 1/4 speed mode, let go of L, hit downb and shield, then click L for a bit and release the inputs.

I also got 4th out of 22 in the singles tournament yesterday, losing to our state's best Brawl/PM player playing Little Mac (and I made the mistake of going Pika that set), then I lost to the guy who won the tournament with Lucario. I went mostly ROB, with one Lucario game to deal with a Mario player, two Pika games for the Little Mac, and one Peach game at the start of my set with the Lucario player (then I switched to ROB for the next two).
You forgot to put your own video in, silly!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJcPRhSUPFQ

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Side B is SOOO much better now! Harder to DI out of (not impossible), ends in a strong hit that is decent, and has a MUCH improved reflectbox. It's actually reliable at reflecting. The movement on the ground is also improved a lot, for good mix ups.
Please tell me how to DI outta Side-B!!!
Got beat 10 times in a row by a ROB spamming the side B!

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
K first off shoutouts to some guy named Funbun, the first other ROB player I've run into on for glory. We did some ROB dittos and Pika v ROB (me on Pika). Pika v ROB is like completely unwinnable for ROB lmao. I feel sorry but I also play Pika so...

If anyone knows this Funbun guy tell him to add me on skype at dettadrifloon.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
hold up whilst ur being hit and u should pop out, easier at higher percents

its also pretty easy to shield unless they catch you out of a roll or something

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious, what caused you to main ROB? My main reason was a strong interest in robotics and AI as well as the fact that in video games, I tend to associate myself with a robot avatar. So when I saw ROB I pretty much jumped on the idea of maining him.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I'm curious, what caused you to main ROB? My main reason was a strong interest in robotics and AI as well as the fact that in video games, I tend to associate myself with a robot avatar. So when I saw ROB I pretty much jumped on the idea of maining him.
Loved him Mario Kart DS Thought he was a Mario Rep XD
When found he was actually a toy I was hooked =)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We have the same name :-)
Everything else is just an awesome bonus.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I thought he looked rather cute in Brawl. (He was more expressive than most other characters, in fact)

Silly reason, isn't it?

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Took the words outta my mouth. Ever since I saw Star Wars' (in 2008, I'm not as old as the movie) character R2-D2, I pretty much settled myself on becoming associated with robots the rest of my life. R.O.B. in Brawl also reminded me (at first) of a robot that made his debut in the same year as Brawl, that robot being WALL-E. Speaking of this...2008 was a great year for me.

I've got a question. Do you guys think that R.O.B.'s amiibo will be gray and white in NA and red and white in Japan, as his default colors are in-game?

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
It's a robot that fires laser beams from its eyes, that's a good enough reason to main R.O.B.
Seriously though, i just really liked its playstyle & R.O.B's even better in 4.

Last edited:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure why I liked him in Brawl. I do remember really digging his B Up and just flying around doing fairs. His playstyle just seemed right, I suppose?

Oh, and question, has anyone done this: occasionally when you do a down air, there's a way to not have him float then use his attack. It's kind of like a fast fall when he just maintains the same velocity and shoots downwards. It's kind of strange.
I've got it on a replay, but I'm not quite sure how to emulate this move. Is it worth uploading to YouTube, or is this already known/ no big deal?

It messed me up during the fight, but I think this move could be useful in certain situations. Mainly, if you are being juggled, but still have your double jump, and bait the juggler, resulting in their meteor smash into the floor. Not sure what the priority is on his down air, though.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I've got a question. What movements are punishable by ROB?

I main DK and Bowser and in Brawl it was an extremely tough matchup. Now though it is much more manageable but I still feel ROB has the edge. What movements are generally unsafe that a slower character might want to take advantage of?

The laser and Gyro get me as well. I hear holding on to the gyro as long as possible keeps it from being used too often. He can only have one out at once correct?
ROB can only have one gyro out at a time. (which BTW is annoying vs villager since he can pocket it and despite being out of the screen, he can't pull out a new one.) IMO, I sometimes prefer for the rival to grab the gyro, due to the fact that it is hard to pick up and can work as bait, and if they manage to grab it, it limits their options to specials and item toss, which makes them more predictable. your best option would be to either learn how to combo with the gyro, or shield it as much as possible.

as for other moves, ROB is pretty weak below and behind him. dair and bair may be powerful, but have a lot of startup lag, so if you have a quick move, use it before he throws out the hitbox. you also wanna stay close, or else he'll just spam you with gyros and lasers from afar.

a lot of people don't seem to know this, but ROB's upB is fuel-based, and can only recharge when touching the ground. this means that if you keep him in the air long enough, he will eventually be unable to recover.

Last edited:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I mained ROB because of his Ftilt in brawl, and just moved onto him again...
His Ftilt isn't as good anymore though

RIP Brawl Ftilt 2008-2014

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I mained ROB because of his Ftilt in brawl, and just moved onto him again...
His Ftilt isn't as good anymore though

RIP Brawl Ftilt 2008-2014
Nearly everything else got buffed, so it's not that bad.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Honestly, I barely use any of the tilts at all (mainly because it's hard to do so with Wiimote held sideways, my gamestyle), so that doesn't affect me much at all. But I think it's clear to me that R.O.B. did get more buffs than nerfs this time around, so I hope he's pretty good too. Possibly even top tier this time.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The new Ftilt sucks balls. And I really loved Ftilt too.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
The last thing I ever expected was for R.O.B. to be my main in this game. But he is. I love him so much now. <3

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
I just recently started to use to use R.O.B. and really enjoy his playstyle. I wanted to ask from a R.O.B. Veteran like yourself, if there are any certain setups with the gyro or the side-b I should be doing. And also, things I do not want to do at all.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
it started with Mario Kart DS. loved the way he looked and sounded. (he's also the main reason why I moved from light drivers to heavy drivers in all Mario Kart games now. I'm hoping he's a future DLC in MK8...)

then I saw this video and fell in love with ROB a a character. (go watch all 5 parts if you love ROB. they're all pretty short.) I mean, how can you hate the cute little murderer? I did the research and discovered what he really was, and when I saw him in Brawl, I flipped. I flipped even harder when I found out he's a playable character!

ROB IS AWESOME

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I find it really hard to kill use dsmash and dairwithout a cstick. Dair and dsmash just seem useless when you either dtilt or accidentally fast fall and kill yourself, ya know?

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
i mean... those are two of his worst kill options so... what?
Bad choice of words, my mistake. But it's annoying when I read a roll, do a dsmash to hit them from behind me, and then I just do a dtilt and they punish me. And dairs would be easier to hit if we weren't forced to fast fall when we use it.

Guess this is more of a general 3ds problem

dettadeus

Smash Lord
you're not forced to do a fast fall when you use dair, just like you aren't forced to do a jump when you uair with tap jump on. you have to be more precise.

1FC0

Smash Lord
MAybe you should go to training mode and use dair and dsmash a few times. Or go to FG 1v1 and overuse dmash and dair. I often overuse certain moves when I need to practice them, especially against weaker players.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
it started with Mario Kart DS. loved the way he looked and sounded. (he's also the main reason why I moved from light drivers to heavy drivers in all Mario Kart games now. I'm hoping he's a future DLC in MK8...)

then I saw this video and fell in love with ROB a a character. (go watch all 5 parts if you love ROB. they're all pretty short.) I mean, how can you hate the cute little murderer? I did the research and discovered what he really was, and when I saw him in Brawl, I flipped. I flipped even harder when I found out he's a playable character!

ROB IS AWESOME
"I...have...been...in...that...box...for...two...years." *Aims zapper at him* "What's that ROB? Awesome!"

Pretty funny. Had me laughing non-stop.

I've got a question. Do you guys think that R.O.B.'s amiibo will be gray and white in NA and red and white in Japan, as his default colors are in-game?
I think ROB will be gray overseas. I don't think this will be a problem though, since you can change the color in-game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
"I...have...been...in...that...box...for...two...years." *Aims zapper at him* "What's that ROB? Awesome!"

Pretty funny. Had me laughing non-stop.

I think ROB will be gray overseas. I don't think this will be a problem though, since you can change the color in-game.
Ugh...you're probably right. I'd rather have red and white R.O.B. amiibo though...dang it.

Hey guys, I know this is kinda (and/or really, depending on what you think) off-topic but...I'm finally trying to beat Brawl's "Boss Battles on Intense Difficulty" Challenge, and, of course, I'm using R.O.B.. Any tips to help me get past all the bosses?

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is very easy, especially when fighting on the blue falcon. Stay near the left and use up-air constantly. When he begins to attack you simply float above him. None of his moves hit above him. Other bosses are a little bit more tricky, Duon and Tabuu being the hardest.

Top Bottom