• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter x Tekken

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
GGs Minato. Lag was getting to be a little random, so that's why I left. Still good **** though.

And Atlus, I added you

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, something was up with the connection. GGs though.
My team today was just two characters I wanted to try out. I'm probably not going to put them on the same team though.

Been messing around with Alpha Counter combos today. Getting around 360-420 damage which is pretty good.
That's a tiny bit less than a switch cancel combo but it's good considering I basically punished a guy for putting me in block stun. lol

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, something was up with the connection. GGs though.
My team today was just two characters I wanted to try out. I'm probably not going to put them on the same team though.

Been messing around with Alpha Counter combos today. Getting around 360-420 damage which is pretty good.
That's a tiny bit less than a switch cancel combo but it's good considering I basically punished a guy for putting me in block stun. lol
It started out that way first match for me, but I think I'll actually stick with Gief. He's a lot more fun than I thought he was.

You love them Alpha Counters. LOL.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Haha, I do. I won't AC in real matches that often though, I just like experimenting in casuals to get combos down.

I've been trying to mess around with things I don't see people do (or don't do). Switch cancelling ACs and avoiding Cross Rushes on obvious punishes by going straight to launchers are things I'm trying to get down to muscle memory.

Been also trying to see if I can break 529 damage with no gems and one switch cancel right now with a new team I'm working on.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, I need to take my gems off when we play. I just noticed that you don't use them, lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I need to take my gems off when we play. I just noticed that you don't use them, lol.
Oh, no. I actually just kept the default ones on. It's Atlus that takes them off, I think.
I'm just making sure what the default damage is.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Btw, I'm looking for a PSN teammate to do ranked with at some point. Don't care how good you are, lol. Tried it with my brother and it's pretty fun.

Maybe at some point do some 2v2s in endless? O_O

Minato

穏やかじゃない
2v2 sounds fun. It's too hard for me to take this game too competitively, and I just want to have some fun with it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
2v2 sounds fun. It's too hard for me to take this game too competitively, and I just want to have some fun with it.
My biggest concern is with gems. I really like them, but if the competitive scene is going to permanently ban them then I don't see myself getting competitive either.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, I'm sticking with Ibuki now that I've learned what she can do in this game. Now that I know she has a set up to beat rolls, that's one thing off of my mind.
Just need to get used to playing the neutral and pressure game with her in this.

And nope, I probably won't be going to Evo. This year's lineup is more interesting on the spectating side for me rather than the participating side.
My biggest concern is with gems. I really like them, but if the competitive scene is going to permanently ban them then I don't see myself getting competitive either.
I just see myself enjoying this casually in the long run. There are things in this game that makes me pretty salty. I don't feel in control once I'm in like in other Capcom games. One wrong guess when I'm putting them in blockstun, they mash jab into cross rush for at least 35 percent on me. If I blocked, now I'm getting pressured, even if I worked my way in.

Then there's the whole rolling and backdashing thing in this game. Also, I still find people jumping too much out of pressure. Every person I face, if I somehow catch their backdash, I wait until they land and for some reason, they decide to just jump and try to cross me up. Most of the time, I'm forced to block it since I'm either out of range or still recovering from my move.

Atlus8

Smash Master
And nope, I probably won't be going to Evo. This year's lineup is more interesting on the spectating side for me rather than the participating side.

I won't be participating in the event, but it was just too exciting last year that I just can't miss out! Hell, I have a room reserved already! Also, there were some Melee setups and plenty of people that played, so I don't want to miss out on that either!

Shin Kaizoku

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much agree with what Minato said. I like the game, like I have fun with it and everything, but there's so much dumb stuff to take it too seriously. Even jab pressure in this game is worse than it should be...

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
I'm finding Asuka's j.MK to be a really useful jump in/crossup. its hitting easier than j.HK and crosses up easier than J.HP to me.

for some reason I can't seem to get through anyones Fireballs with HCF+P except the shotos

and yes her footsies game is terrible. lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I just see myself enjoying this casually in the long run. There are things in this game that makes me pretty salty. I don't feel in control once I'm in like in other Capcom games. One wrong guess when I'm putting them in blockstun, they mash jab into cross rush for at least 35 percent on me. If I blocked, now I'm getting pressured, even if I worked my way in.

Then there's the whole rolling and backdashing thing in this game. Also, I still find people jumping too much out of pressure. Every person I face, if I somehow catch their backdash, I wait until they land and for some reason, they decide to just jump and try to cross me up. Most of the time, I'm forced to block it since I'm either out of range or still recovering from my move.
Don't forget alpha counters. I still think you can't play this quite like past SF games (or so I hear). You gotta treat it as its own animal, Imo.

For the whole rolling thing, give it time as I've said before. Technology countering that stuff should be interesting. For example, I know that doing HK Hazanshu with Chun will put her on the other side of the opponent, making them hesitant to mash jab out.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just see rolling flawed as it is now. I think it contributes problems. In some situations (but not all), I'm forced to guess if they'll make a roll attempt. If I guess wrong, I basically lost my advantage since that means I won't be able to pressure them. Plus I lose my safe jump and they backdash to safety. This wouldn't be nearly as bad if the stages weren't long and the clock wasn't so short. I know Ibuki has an OS past this though, so we are figuring out ways to counter this though. But I can't see a lot of character's having an answer to this.

Jab pressure is kind of dumb because of the time issue as well. The easiest way out is whether you have a good reversal or meter for an AC.
Some characters just have way too hard of a time dealing with this. I know some teams can just time an AC into Switch Cancel for 400 damage though.

I am treating SFXT as it's own thing since I feel people aren't doing that enough. I just feel that these two things are kind of a design flaw that some characters won't have answers to.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i need a character besides hwaorang, i'm pretty much fighting kids with 1 character

i might just start trolling with kuma

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, most complaints I'm hearing from this game are based on people treating it like it's SF4 with a few tweaks. It's so clearly not that at all though.

The only serious *problem that I see that needs to be addressed is the timer. I figured that once people started learning more high damage, complex combos, it would become more tolerable. That doesn't seem to be the case though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
IDK, I played someone last night who bodied me in under a minute in total from two rounds with a Lili/Ken team.

I swear, Xiao must be picky with her partners.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Idk what's going up in here, lol.

But if there's any new players here, I would like to ask that you put up your Xbl/PSN tag in here so I can update the op.

That's all for today.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, Jam. I decided to just play reckless and see how things would go. Playing slow was safe at times, but had me at a disadvantage if I was running out of time. I lost more than I won today, I think.

If I could make a suggestion, Jam, I think you should change your habits on when I roll.
At the moment you mostly do throw or crouch roundhouse. Throw doesn't really take advantage of the left/right mixup, and both throw and crouch roundhouse have too long of a start up. I started to just guess and mash SRK or throw later on. And hit confirming into a combo for 35 percent damage is better than a throw or trip that resets the game to neutral. Also, I'd say avoid doing Chun Li's links after you hit confirmed a cross up if you can.

And did online just get worse? I can't anti-air those dive kicks on reaction anymore. :(

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, rolling is one of those things that I'm still trying to figure out what's the best thing to do. As far as I can tell, it's totally safe as long as you start blocking once it ends and is only really susceptible to jump-ins, but I don't like risking a bad jump-in because then I lose positioning.

As for the online, Capcom said when SFxT was released that the sound issues were the tradeoff for less latency, and now that they've fixed the sound, latency has increased. Usually it's not too bad, but yeah, you don't know how many times I was trying to mash out reversals that just didn't come out.

I really like Xiao, but she doesn't work with Juri at all, and she seems to be missing tools. It feels like she's nothing without her sweep cancel, which I clearly have not mastered lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Now that I think about it, the crouch roundhouse was smart with Chun Li. It did beat my backdash, I think.

The online was a little strange. It felt like it was slight lag but also a slight drop in inputs. There were times when the game ignored my launcher and even gave me a different special like Ibuki's flip jump.

And that was fun facing Xiaoyu since it was a new matchup. I need to learn which moves I can punish.
This was the first time I used my new team on someone. My Ken is bad at the moment since I'm spoiled by Ryu. Ibuki's hard to use online because of links and all this other crazy stuff. I like how good her anti-air is. With one switch cancel on her b. mp, she can take close to half their health.

What I hate about Ibuki is that not even EX DP has invincibility frames.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, I really had no clue what to do about pressure with Xiao. You jabbed me to death like six times lol.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I really like Xiao, but she doesn't work with Juri at all, and she seems to be missing tools. It feels like she's nothing without her sweep cancel, which I clearly have not mastered lol.
I haven't gotten the phoenix breakdance down either. Here's my advice. Learn to exploit her stances and canceling out of them quickly. The SRK Xiaoyu forum's been inactive for the last week, but that's what I think is next for her. Learn to apply her backdashes, California Rolls, etc. to get moving around and punish people. I believe her footsies are like Fuerte and Viper's in that they're nontraditional. st.MP and st.MK are pretty much your best footsies normals, but they aren't too great.

For giving pressure, there's her st.LP and you can stance cancel her cr.MK for a pressure string. Mix those up along with grabs and Cyanide for mixups. You might wanna look into using Back Layout as well. I've noticed that it can cross up so learn the positioning for that and canceling the move.

Other than those two areas, she has cr.HK as an anti-air, but the timing's awkward compared to other moves, but a successful anti-air means a breakdance loop, and no matter where the cr.HK is performed, it ALWAYS performs a hard knockdown, even in a juggle. From there, you can cancel the last hit into Rain Dance > California Roll > Any Back Layout for different outcomes or j.LK for crossup into st.LP > Fortune Cookie or you can go into a quick mixup by substituting the last cr.HK for a 236+LP for a teched recovery and they land right in front of you.

For dealing with pressure, I can't think of anything other than cr.LP which has a 4 frame startup and using alpha counters.

And she should really be on anchor, not on point. That's my opinion at least.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I really had no clue what to do about pressure with Xiao. You jabbed me to death like six times lol.
I didn't notice until after a few matches that I had speed gems equipped. That kind of made the jab pressure better lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if mashing backdash works. Other than that, alpha counter works.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you were intentionally doing empty jumps to bait my alpha counters or not, but it's not a good idea. It basically means I can just anti-air you to a switch cancel which means 300-400 damage for 1 meter instead of 2.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I need to work more on my footsies game. Trying out King/Xiaoyu instead of the other way around and it's been decent online. I just struggle against fireball characters for both of them.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
**** this, i hate this game, it makes no sense

the fact that it relies on footsies combined with the fact that most footsie tools sucks makes me hate this game

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
For anyone who's interested in grabbing this and hasn't already, Walmart has it on sale for $39.96.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
**** this, i hate this game, it makes no sense

the fact that it relies on footsies combined with the fact that most footsie tools sucks makes me hate this game
Think outside the bun. What's your team again? Maybe you haven't found the one that syncs with your playstyle.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm figuring it out now, this game still feels really random but i'm liking hwoarang, ken, guile, and rufus

i usually go hwoarang/rufus or ken/guile

i don't actually own the game, my roomie does so i never had a chance to actually sit down and learn it and i'm still trying stuff that would work in street fighter in this game and it just...doesn't happen

mood4food77

Smash Hero
does this game suck this much for no one to even talk about it?

i mean, i found my team of hwoarang/ken to be fun as hell to use but it's still BS, random hit nets me 400k plus

also, **** the new gems

Top Bottom