• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter V

Minato

穏やかじゃない
He's so...fabulous (that Critical Art notwithstanding).

Question: who do you have set to English and Japanese? I have everybody but Mika, Ken, and Necalli set to English.
Like SF4, I try to mix and match to where they're from. I forget what I did for some of harder ones though.

Like SF4, I try to mix and match to where they're from. I forget what I did for some of harder ones though.
I'm using my SF4 setup where everyone is set to Japanese except for Cammy. Pretty much the only English VA I like.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So what would you do with Ken, who's Japanese-American?
Ken has more JP blood in him despite being born in the states and did a good amount of training in his life in Japan. I keep him with JP VA. That and all the old games, Ken had a JP voice. So it makes it something I'm just used to.
I'm using my SF4 setup where everyone is set to Japanese except for Cammy. Pretty much the only English VA I like.
As much as I like Miyuki Sawashiro, I definitely like the US voice of her more. Cody I was torn on in SF4. I really liked his US voice, but it was fun hearing JP Cody. He sounded pretty crazy during some of his attacks which portrayed how much he just loves fighting lol

Although I didn't put much time into SF4 by the time Super was like a year old. I just didn't like how the game evolved, so it's not like grew too attached to some audio settings. Most of what I heard ended up being whatever was on stream. Some of them I really don't like in English though (Makoto, Sakura, etc).

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just got it today. Runs terrible on my laptop as to be expected, but I can play it on my brother's desktop at normal speed with the lowest settings.

So far, Ryu and Birdie are my favorite characters: Ryu because he's easy to learn, and Birdie because his grabs and v-skill are very useful. In addition to these characters, I'm hoping to get good with Nash, R. Mika, and M. Bison (also maybe Alex and most likely Urien). I'd practice online against random people but I'd probably get destroyed if I did. If anyone wants to fight me, feel free to send me a message.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Man those new costumes are A+++. I love how hysterically self-aware Capcom is with the awful looks of Ken. It is swiftly becoming my favorite gag!
All I need is M. Beardson and I'm happy. But can we talk about Laura's costume? Goddamn.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
All I need is M. Beardson and I'm happy. But can we talk about Laura's costume? Goddamn.
Laura has it going on.

-Nash looks like Venom Snake mixed with a ninja; I knew I picked the right main (although Infiltration is gonna get him nerfed!!!).
-Rashid's outfit has that Journey to the West feel.
-Blaziken Mika = God.
-Royalty Birdie = hilarious
-Retro-looking Karin = great.
-FANG is hilarious.
Laura finally has a good-looking outfit. It's beautiful, really. I'm also a fan of Karin's new look.

But Zangief's is the GOAT.
MACHO MADNESS!!!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I didn't like most of the costumes at first but now they've grown on me. I think my favorites are Nash's, Laura's and Zangief's. Does anyone know if buying the new costumes includes the 10 colors for them, or do they need to be unlocked? I love the alpha Ryu alt but the color I like is #7 and I'm not sure if it's included with the initial purchase.

Also people have already gotten their hands on Alex, and thankfully he still has most of his old moves like the stomp. His theme turned out better than I thought it would but I still prefer the 3rd Strike version a bit more.

Anyone interested in fighting with me? I'm terrible right now and want some good experience.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't know how I feel about Alex's remix. I already didn't like Jazzy NYC '99 in Third Strike, and this remix wasn't much better. The Tatsunoku vs. Capcom remix was good, though.
(although Infiltration is gonna get him nerfed!!!).
He's already the best character in the game, that's kind of inevitable.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait you dislike the jazzy NYC/Alex theme from Third Strike?

Man, that song is up there with the best of the songs in the series. I love Third Strike's jazz-tastic soundtrack.

I think I slightly prefer the original to Alex's/NYC's remade theme. Either way, I am very happy with the song.

\\

Also, I want to add I am surprised classic soundtracks were added as paid (in game currency or real money) DLC. There's so much good music from SF II, III, IV and the Alpha games to utilize and sell that I am surprised Capcom hasn't announced/added that yet.

Man, that song is up there with the best of the songs in the series. I love Third Strike's jazz-tastic soundtrack.

I think I slightly prefer the original to Alex's/NYC's remade theme. Either way, I am very happy with the song.

\\

Also, I want to add I am surprised classic soundtracks were added as paid (in game currency or real money) DLC. There's so much good music from SF II, III, IV and the Alpha games to utilize and sell that I am surprised Capcom hasn't announced/added that yet.
I'd put down the money for like, a 3rd Strike music pack. I think you could buy the 2nd Impact soundtrack for use in 3SOE, though that seemed like kind of a waste. Aside from Tomboy, the 3S soundtrack was better in every way.

The New Generation arrange album would be awesome, though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

\\

Something about the instrumentation didn't do it for me. I really didn't get "Jazzy" from "Jazzy NYC" Maybe if it was redone with live instruments and a faster tempo, it'd be better. I'm shocked that they didn't do that in V. Truth be told, SFIII as a whole's soundtrack went in one ear and came out the other. Except for Killing Moon, I love that song.

I'd spend all of my Fight Money for SFIV's soundtrack, though.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Something about the instrumentation didn't do it for me. I really didn't get "Jazzy" from "Jazzy NYC" Maybe if it was redone with live instruments and a faster tempo, it'd be better. I'm shocked that they didn't do that in V. Truth be told, SFIII as a whole's soundtrack went in one ear and came out the other. Except for Killing Moon, I love that song.

I'd spend all of my Fight Money for SFIV's soundtrack, though.
-whaaaaa.

I'm not the biggest SF III fan (or anywhere near that) and I love Third Strike's soundtrack to death. I thought it was amazing.

IV's soundtrack was mostly pretty good.

God that vanilla SF IV announcer was the worst though. His voice was meh and he spoke literally every 2 seconds.
I'd put down the money for like, a 3rd Strike music pack. I think you could buy the 2nd Impact soundtrack for use in 3SOE, though that seemed like kind of a waste. Aside from Tomboy, the 3S soundtrack was better in every way.

The New Generation arrange album would be awesome, though.
2nd Impact: 10x times better gameplay than New Generation, 1/10th as good of music.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
-whaaaaa.

I'm not the biggest SF III fan (or anywhere near that) and I love Third Strike's soundtrack to death. I thought it was amazing.

IV's soundtrack was mostly pretty good.
Not that it was bad, but II, IV, V, and Alpha have such good soundtracks that III seemed mediocre in comparison. My favorite ones in order are IV, Alpha 2, V, then World Warrior.

2nd Impact: 10x times better gameplay than New Generation, 1/10th as good of music.
Wait, are we talking about Alpha 3 or 2nd Impact?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not that it was bad, but II, IV, V, and Alpha have such good soundtracks that III seemed mediocre in comparison. My favorite ones in order are IV, Alpha 2, V, then World Warrior.
My favorite is probably Super SF II or World Warrior, although Alpha 2 is up there.

Actually, V might be my favorite, just because all the character theme songs + all the Shadaloo music + all the Brazil music is totally 100% fire.
2nd Impact vs. New Generation (aka Vanilla SF III).

New Generation... was so bad. I never really liked it, and age hasn't made it any better.

2nd Impact really saved the SF III series, and obviously Third Strike more and salvaged it. Still sad we never got a 4th version with more SF II characters or any Alpha characters though (although SF V kinda feels like that lmao).

Last edited:

That's weird. I always thought II had a pretty boring soundtrack, and IV might be my least favorite SF soundtrack to date. Maybe it's just because I love jungle/DnB stuff, but man, 3rd Strike's was incredible. NG and 2I were lame, though.

EX had some crazy good music. White Field, Fake World, and Flash Train are the ****.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
That's weird. I always thought II had a pretty boring soundtrack, and IV might be my least favorite SF soundtrack to date. Maybe it's just because I love jungle/DnB stuff, but man, 3rd Strike's was incredible. NG and 2I were lame, though.

EX had some crazy good music. White Field, Fake World, and Flash Train are the ****.
Rar? SFII is the reason the themes we have now exist. IV, I guess is an acquired taste, but damn, the themes that are good, are REALLY ****ing good. I want Crumbling Laboratory as a stage just so I can here the music. God, I wish Smash 4 hacking was a thing.

EX had some stand out songs, yeah. Irreconcilably is my favorite Bison theme to date.
My favorite is probably Super SF II or World Warrior, although Alpha 2 is up there.
I don't know about Super. Something about the CPS1 songs on CPS2 just sounds... wrong.

Actually, V might be my favorite, just because all the character theme songs + all the Shadaloo music + all the Brazil music is totally 100% fire.
I'm thinking about making F.A.N.G 's theme and Lair of the Four Kings my ringtones.
2nd Impact vs. New Generation (aka Vanilla SF III).

New Generation... was so bad. I never really liked it, and age hasn't made it any better.

2nd Impact really saved the SF III series, and obviously Third Strike more and salvaged it. Still sad we never got a 4th version with more SF II characters or any Alpha characters though (although SF V kinda feels like that lmao).
I was being sarcastic. Alpha 3 did almost the exact same thing, improving the gameplay but butchering the music.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If I did a quick rundown on SF music...

SFII: So good. You got stuff that are classics, and also from Yoko Shimomura that does Square stuff now lol
SFA2: The music around this time and VS series are so good. Good remixes and a ton of nostalgia for the arcade sound this era
SFA3: The character themes sound more like BG themes if that makes sense. They're less defining, and not quite for me
SFEX: I can't remember the themes off the top of my head. No nostalgia for these, but they're really good
SF3: There are actually some that I like in FG/2I over 3S. Yang's 2I is better than 3S, imo. Ibuki's also. FG and 2I sounded very Darkstalkers-ish though. So I think 3S really did a good job breaking into its own style. The only thing I wished was that they didn't try to do it by stages. This made characters end up sharing themes, but oh well.
SF4: There's definitely some good songs, but there's a lot that are just mediocre to me. The problem is you rarely see these songs because the cast is so huge so you end up missing what some of the new themes are. That and most tourney streams end up on Training Stage.

I'd say I'm the most attached to Alpha 2 though. I played fighters a ton around that time, so hearing that CPS2 sound is certainly quite nostalgic.

SF5 is good so far on music. Some I don't really like such as Laura, and some stage themes are just ok or bad. Brazil has a pretty good stage theme though and some of the character themes are better remixes than 4's imo.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In terms of character themes, V probably has IV beat. Except for Bison, they destroyed his theme. And Cammy. But others are just straight improvements, like Ken. If it just had more characters and therefore more themes, it could be even better.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Alex hype! :005:
Agreed, but sadly, we are never gonna get those EX assets or characters back anytime soon. :/
I was being sarcastic. Alpha 3 did almost the exact same thing, improving the gameplay but butchering the music.
I actually thought Alpha 3 made the gameplay worse TBH, but then again I reallllly like Alpha 2.

Although Alpha 3's roster was pretty big and ginormous and great, so that was a big plus.

As for the music though ehhhh... Alpha 2 and 3 are pretty close.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I actually thought Alpha 3 made the gameplay worse TBH, but then again I reallllly like Alpha 2.

Although Alpha 3's roster was pretty big and ginormous and great, so that was a big plus.

As for the music though ehhhh... Alpha 2 and 3 are pretty close.
I really liked the -Ism gimmick. I kinda wish it would come back in an update, along with Super Arts, no idea why they took those out.

Music-wise Alpha 3 doesn't touch Alpha 2 Gold. Although, some Alpha 2 tracks were better in arcade, like Guy and Bison's themes.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
We got Randy Savage and Ultimate Warrior Zangief

image.jpeg

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I really liked the -Ism gimmick. I kinda wish it would come back in an update, along with Super Arts, no idea why they took those out.

Music-wise Alpha 3 doesn't touch Alpha 2 Gold. Although, some Alpha 2 tracks were better in arcade, like Guy and Bison's themes.
Ehhhh I don't mind the ism-'s but I prefer not choosing. I do like the combo game of the Alpha games and some of the movement. Playing as Ken with all those cool movement options never stopped being fun.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm really hoping for further news on the April DLC hopefully by this coming week.

Anyways, even though this is not going to be a popular answer and not likely to happen, but do you think SFV needs a relaunch (like Super Street Fighter V)?

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm really hoping for further news on the April DLC hopefully by this coming week.

Anyways, even though this is not going to be a popular answer and not likely to happen, but do you think SFV needs a relaunch (like Super Street Fighter V)?
I think it's confirmed that Guile is going to be this month's character.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

I actually think it needs to have a relaunch. Doesn't mean the original base game will be useless, but it needs another one that comes prepackaged with all the DLC and stuff.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Guile's new model, outfit, and the way his movepool seems to function all look incredible.

Also his theme song is a banger still.

I sincerely hope he's more akin to SF II Guile than SF IV Guile. If that's the case, I may be forced to pick him up haha!!!

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well we're at the end of May and still no update on this month's character. There's going to be a big announcement at the end of Combo Breaker so let's just hope it's related to a new character/mode (imagine if it were Super Street Fighter V lol).

Has anyone else been losing interest in SFV? For starters, there's nothing to do offline other than survival (which I can never complete since the Capcom servers keep disconnecting while I'm at like level 31 of hard mode). Online still takes forever to find a match, and even after all of these months Capcom has still not completely fixed rage quitting. Watching other people play SFV is just not that fun. I don't know what it is, but every time I try to watch competitive SFV I just get bored (this was not the case with SFIV).

People can like SFV all they want, but there's no denying that it was rushed and still unfinished.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Well we're at the end of May and still no update on this month's character. There's going to be a big announcement at the end of Combo Breaker so let's just hope it's related to a new character/mode (imagine if it were Super Street Fighter V lol).

Has anyone else been losing interest in SFV? For starters, there's nothing to do offline other than survival (which I can never complete since the Capcom servers keep disconnecting while I'm at like level 31 of hard mode). Online still takes forever to find a match, and even after all of these months Capcom has still not completely fixed rage quitting. Watching other people play SFV is just not that fun. I don't know what it is, but every time I try to watch competitive SFV I just get bored (this was not the case with SFIV).

People can like SFV all they want, but there's no denying that it was rushed and still unfinished.
Pretty much my feelings as well, I think that SF4 and SF3 are much more fun to watch in my opinion. Hopefully the competitive scene will remain for 4, I liked it a lot.

Top Bottom