• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter V

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'm actually interested to see what fighting style they would give to Helen.
As am I. I initially thought the idea of Kolin being a fighter was absurd, but considering the effeminate silhouette and the characters allegedly being new, I don't know who else it could be.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Anyone want to play some matches with me? I'm free til February.

R.I.P Gen. One of the most badass old men I'm the history badass old men.
He's faked his death before so there's still hope.

If that was his legitimate death though, it could have been done much better. I'd really prefer animated cutscenes over those lame story mode pics.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

If that was his legitimate death though, it could have been done much better. I'd really prefer animated cutscenes over those lame story mode pics.
It was Gouken that faked his death. Gen was that Akuma spared because of his leukemia, remember?

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Patch is today (?). I'll probably play some games during the winter.

Edit: Oh wait, patch is out on Tuesday I believe. I'll probably be up for some games this week.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Official patch notes released:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/12/19/welcome-to-season-2-of-street-fighter-v

Man Alex got hit really hard. Aside from a few nice buffs (cr. HP and V-skill buffs), almost all of his attacks were nerfed (elbow is useless now, normals are slower, and V-reversal is even worse than before). I might have to get better with one of my secondaries now.

Was Alex really so good that he had to be nerfed so much? I find it weird that he gets nerfed but Urien receives a ton of buffs.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Goddamn, they nerfed Charlie to the ground then pissed on his corpse.
Official patch notes released:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/12/19/welcome-to-season-2-of-street-fighter-v

Man Alex got hit really hard. Aside from a few nice buffs (cr. HP and V-skill buffs), almost all of his attacks were nerfed (elbow is useless now, normals are slower, and V-reversal is even worse than before). I might have to get better with one of my secondaries now.

Was Alex really so good that he had to be nerfed so much? I find it weird that he gets nerfed but Urien receives a ton of buffs.
From what I understand, Alex was only seen as a slightly below average character, and I've heard a lot of people say that he needed to be buffed. I don't understand why they would nerf him.

Now, excuse me while I go squeal with glee at these Bison buffs.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Now, excuse me while I go squeal with glee at these Bison buffs.
*Sniffs* At least I still have Birdie.

Oh wait.

Birdie changes said:
Reduced health from 1050 to 1025
Reduced Bull Head damage from 100 to 80
Tons of other damage/frame nerfs
I'm going to cry myself to sleep.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Aaaand they buffed Guile.....It's not like it was already nearly impossible to land a hit on one who knows what they are doing, or have some of the most ridiculous combos in the game when in V-Trigger. I don't really know how I feel about these changes, but at least Ryu is still pretty good and Mika seems to be heavily nerfed so that she isn't literally the most cheap character in the game (I bet a lot of you disagree with me, but thats just what I think of her). Another thing I'm glad to see that I know some of you will disagree with is the nerfs to Nash. I don't know exactly what moves they nerfed, but I hope it means he won't just be able to press almost all his buttons in your face while you block and get away with it (I always felt that Nash should be punished for getting his moon slash blocked and only the EX should be safe).

Can anyone tell me if this patch added in Akuma? Also why have they still not added in an arcade mode.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Aaaand they buffed Guile.....It's not like it was already nearly impossible to land a hit on one who knows what they are doing, or have some of the most ridiculous combos in the game when in V-Trigger. I don't really know how I feel about these changes, but at least Ryu is still pretty good and Mika seems to be heavily nerfed so that she isn't literally the most cheap character in the game (I bet a lot of you disagree with me, but thats just what I think of her). Another thing I'm glad to see that I know some of you will disagree with is the nerfs to Nash. I don't know exactly what moves they nerfed, but I hope it means he won't just be able to press almost all his buttons in your face while you block and get away with it (I always felt that Nash should be punished for getting his moon slash blocked and only the EX should be safe).

Can anyone tell me if this patch added in Akuma? Also why have they still not added in an arcade mode.
I don't think Charlie needed to be nerfed nearly as bad as they nerfed him. He had great buttons yeah, but this is SFV, everybody does.

And yes, Akuma releases tomorrow as of this writing.
*Sniffs* At least I still have Birdie.

Oh wait.

I'm going to cry myself to sleep.
All of my characters (Bison, Rashid, and Karin) made out pretty well, but even I can't deny that some of these changes were stupid. It disturbs me greatly that Dhalsim got more buffs than F.A.N.G did.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Would it really kill Capcom to hire one English guy to do their grammar for them? Seriously, the amount of mistranslated sentences in this game is simply laughable.

------------

EDIT: From the PSN store for Season 2

I'm 99.9% certain the silhouette on the left is Helen.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If the silhouette really is Helen, I guess that means the 5 new characters aren't "completely new" like Capcom said (Helen was in story mode and Kolin was in SFIII). So does this mean we're just going to get a bunch of story mode characters now? We got Helen and the one on the right sort of resembles Azam.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If the silhouette really is Helen, I guess that means the 5 new characters aren't "completely new" like Capcom said (Helen was in story mode and Kolin was in SFIII). So does this mean we're just going to get a bunch of story mode characters now? We got Helen and the one on the right sort of resembles Azam.
I think by that they meant five characters that haven't been playable before in a Street Fighter game, so Kolin would still fit that criteria.

The top right does resemble Azam, so you may be right.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
The one on the right looks pretty much exactly like Azam in the silhouette, but the only thing that doesn't seem to match is the the legs. It could possibly be a slight design change to Azam, or just another character that has a similar silhouette. I'm hoping we get at least two more characters from previous games and one new character we have NEVER seen before (as in not even showing up in the story mode or anything of the sort).

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I think one of the silhouettes could be Haggar. I can't think of many other massive, muscle-bound dudes that could feasibly get into SF that haven't been playable before (other than Azam).

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just a reminder that it's been nearly 6 months since Capcom first announced the classic Alex/Ibuki costumes (along with the classic Bison stage) and we have not heard one word of them since.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
So rather than finish this game, they make another?

Well, at least it has Sagat. And Arcade Mode.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
USFII will apparently cost $40:

https://twitter.com/gatoray_kof/status/819791724692185088

To compare, SFII: HDR is $10, while every other version of SFII can usually be purchased for $10 or less.

Should be $15 at most if you ask me. If this pricing is true, then I've already lost interest.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I'm expecting SFV to come to the switch since HORI has showed that they are going to have a version of the RAP4 for the switch. I doubt they would bother doing that if they are not going to have any major fighting games on the console. Only reason I could imagine why they didn't announce it last night is that it probably isn't done. I would love to see MvCI on the switch as well. I just hope that they have cross play online with PS4 and PC, but Nintendo is Nintendo so that will likely never happen.

Also they should have ported 3rd Strike:OE to Switch, PC, PS4, and XBone.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm expecting SFV to come to the switch since HORI has showed that they are going to have a version of the RAP4 for the switch. I doubt they would bother doing that if they are not going to have any major fighting games on the console. Only reason I could imagine why they didn't announce it last night is that it probably isn't done. I would love to see MvCI on the switch as well. I just hope that they have cross play online with PS4 and PC, but Nintendo is Nintendo so that will likely never happen.
Capcom has a partnership with Sony in that SFV is exclusive to PS4 (aside from there being a PC version), hence why there is no XOne version. If a Switch version were to happen, it wouldn't be for a while. There's still the chance of MvC:I though. BlazBlue will be coming to the Switch, so there's another use for the fightstick.

Also they should have ported 3rd Strike:OE to Switch, PC, PS4, and XBone.
I'd love for that to happen. Its SF's 30th anniversary so there's always a chance, but this is Capcom we're talking about. Knowing them they'll probably just make a 30th anniversary costume for Chun-Li in SFV, pat themselves on the back, and call it a day.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Knowing them they'll probably just make a 30th anniversary costume for Chun-Li in SFV, pat themselves on the back, and call it a day.
And don't forget charge an egregious amount of money for it.

FallenHero

Smash Ace

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
http://www.capcom-unity.com/harriso...-fiasco---drogas-light-album-launch-party-215

Looks like we are going to find out more about the 2nd DLC character next week.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it'll be Helen/Kolin, based on the S2 pic from the PSN store. If it is I'll be pretty disappointed unless she's fun to play as.

Capcom will really need to pull all the efforts here.
Don't get your hopes too high. I've said the same thing every time they were going to reveal something and have always been let down.

Based on Capcom's trend of communicating, I'm guessing it'll be like this: they'll show a small 10 second teaser announcing that the character will be at event ("[character] will be playable at the CPT on Feb. 15th!"), release them on Feb 28th at 11:59 pm, and congratulate themselves for doing such an outstanding job.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that it'll be Helen/Kolin, based on the S2 pic from the PSN store. If it is I'll be pretty disappointed unless she's fun to play as.

Don't get your hopes too high. I've said the same thing every time they were going to reveal something and have always been let down.

Based on Capcom's trend of communicating, I'm guessing it'll be like this: they'll show a small 10 second teaser announcing that the character will be at event ("[character] will be playable at the CPT on Feb. 15th!"), release them on Feb 28th at 11:59 pm, and congratulate themselves for doing such an outstanding job.
Whilst I do admit that it is true, I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes for Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite in which I do have expectations that they will use the lessons they learnt from SFV to prevent this.

But like I said, Capcom still has a lot of work to do (or should I say mountains to climb) if they are ever going to make SFV into a good quality fighting game.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Whilst I do admit that it is true, I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes for Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite in which I do have expectations that they will use the lessons they learnt from SFV to prevent this.
With the way Capcom does things you never now how it'll turn out. This is the same company that took everything fans loved about the Dead Rising games and threw it in the dumpster when making DR4. At least MvC:I will have story/arcade mode. I still find it weird that the game is coming later this year and we only know of 4 characters right now.

But like I said, Capcom still has a lot of work to do (or should I say mountains to climb) if they are ever going to make SFV into a good quality fighting game.
Yeah according to this article, Capcom sold only 100,000 copies of SFV from May of last year to now. For a well-known series like Street Fighter that even had numerous ESPN airings, that's hilariously bad.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492

It is a good fighting game. It's mechanics are solid, the characters are interesting, and there's nothing that really breaks the game. It's just not a good casual game.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
It is a good fighting game. It's mechanics are solid, the characters are interesting, and there's nothing that really breaks the game. It's just not a good casual game.
Don't forget it was really lacking in characters when it first released. Smartest thing Capcom could've done for season 1 was making all the new characters free, but we all know there is no way Capcom would ever do something like that. My only real problem with the gameplay is just how characters only have one super, one V-Skill, and one V-Trigger. I hope season two can bring that to every character, because some just don't really have very useful V-Skills or Triggers.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know this has been said a million times already, but this is how SFV should've been released:
  • Make an arcade version in 2016 with the original 16 SFV characters and a basic arcade mode. This would allow players to get a taste of the game. They could also have tournaments to get people hyped similar to what Tekken 7 is doing.
  • Over time, announce the six DLC characters (Alex, Guile, etc.) at events for the arcade SFV (or maybe even USFIV).
  • Release the console versions of SFV in 2017 with the content it has now (well, maybe a bit more). Game is out now and actually manages to sell over 1.5 million units in a year.
My only real problem with the gameplay is just how characters only have one super, one V-Skill, and one V-Trigger. I hope season two can bring that to every character, because some just don't really have very useful V-Skills or Triggers.
This. If the opponent doesn't have a projectile, Nash and Bison's V-skills are pretty much worthless. Also Karin's and Ibuki's are almost the same exact thing.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This. If the opponent doesn't have a projectile, Nash and Bison's V-skills are pretty much worthless.
Charlie's V-Skill is now used in a Target Combo, and I hear it's actually pretty good. Psycho Reflect also functions as a poor man's parry, so it's not entirely useless.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
New silhouette pic from SFV Facebook:

Pretty much confirms Helen. Judging from the icy background she'll most likely have ice abilities like the rumors said.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't even know why they bother hiding it at this point if they're going to make it so obvious that it's Kolin.

Top Bottom