• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter V

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Sorry for the double post, but holy crap I am just so frustrated right now. I went from 3600 LP back to 2800 LP in the span of 6 hours. I'd say 95% of the people I fought today were either Nash, Ryu/Ken, or Mika. Each one of them was the exact same:

Nash: (cr. MP --> MP --> "SLICE YOU UP!")
Ryu/Ken: *Constant shoryuken mashing*
Mika: "HERE, AND GO!" [50/50 in corner]

It feels like every non-lariat move as Alex is a death sentence if missed or blocked. Meanwhile, all of Nash's moonsault variants are all safe on block while Alex's stomp isn't. I don't think I've ever been this :shaker: in a while.
I know how you feel man. When I made it to Ultra Bronze I was constantly placed against players with 3000-2000 LP, and most of the players I fought in Silver and Super Silver seemed to use Ryu and Nash. I main Ryu, but I had never seen Ryu players in this game mash DP so much before (I'm used to seeing Bronze/Super Bronze Ken players doing that), so it really caught me off guard that it wasn't just one or two Ryu players doing that.

The Nash players frustrated me so much, because they seem to just be able to press buttons in your face and you can't do anything about it, it seriously feels like it is better to just let Nash hit you with Moonsault then block it, because at least he can't do as much damage off of moonsault than he can with one of his normals. It seems the only thing I can really do as Ryu to reliably avoid any possible damage by that move is parry, but I can't just parry that move on reaction without already expecting them to go for it.

I haven't fought a lot of Mika players, but I have only been able to beat one of the Mika players I have ever fought (not counting the ones I fought in Bronze/Rookie since they had no idea what the were even doing). Thankfully Ryu is pretty good at keeping Mika away from him, but a single slip up and I am pretty much dead unless I guess correctly against Mika in the corner. I don't really know whether I should say she is broken, but she is definitely cheap and her playstyle is almost as if she doesn't even belong in this game.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know how you feel man. When I made it to Ultra Bronze I was constantly placed against players with 3000-2000 LP, and most of the players I fought in Silver and Super Silver seemed to use Ryu and Nash. I main Ryu, but I had never seen Ryu players in this game mash DP so much before (I'm used to seeing Bronze/Super Bronze Ken players doing that), so it really caught me off guard that it wasn't just one or two Ryu players doing that.

The Nash players frustrated me so much, because they seem to just be able to press buttons in your face and you can't do anything about it, it seriously feels like it is better to just let Nash hit you with Moonsault then block it, because at least he can't do as much damage off of moonsault than he can with one of his normals. It seems the only thing I can really do as Ryu to reliably avoid any possible damage by that move is parry, but I can't just parry that move on reaction without already expecting them to go for it.

I haven't fought a lot of Mika players, but I have only been able to beat one of the Mika players I have ever fought (not counting the ones I fought in Bronze/Rookie since they had no idea what the were even doing). Thankfully Ryu is pretty good at keeping Mika away from him, but a single slip up and I am pretty much dead unless I guess correctly against Mika in the corner. I don't really know whether I should say she is broken, but she is definitely cheap and her playstyle is almost as if she doesn't even belong in this game.
I never knew how annoying Mika was until I reached silver. Get hit by her irish whip combo in the corner, and you have two options: block, or do anything else. If you block you'll just get command grabbed, and if you do anything else she'll just do her HP which is safe on block. Of course you could do a reversal to get out of their but Alex doesn't have any good ones.

All I want to do is just to reach gold once and that's it, after that I don't care if I win or lose. It's not easy when I find nothing but a bunch of crappy Kens online. Seriously, I just fought 2 high levels kens that did nothing but spam shoryuken and taunt/teabag. Of course with Alex's crappy moveset I couldn't do anything about it and lost.

Oh yeah, look who just got confirmed:

Wish they made a bigger deal about it. When I heard about it I was just like "eh."

EDIT: Also, best moment from the Red Bull tourney

https://clips.twitch.tv/capcomfighters/HealthyAardvarkItsBo s h y Time

[get rid of the spaces, not sure why SmashBoards censors "****"]

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Good to see Akuma coming back. Hoping to hear more info next month.
Well we got something else:

New Rashid stage available tomorrow. Looks awesome but I'm STILL WAITING FOR ALEX'S CLASSIC COSTUME!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Game looking better as more content gets added. Just feels a little more fleshed out.

Also we could always do some games here. I haven't anyone in this thread play each other yet.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So after about 130 hours of gameplay, a crap ton of losses, and a huge amount of frustration, I FINALLY REACHED GOLD AS ALEX!

Game looking better as more content gets added. Just feels a little more fleshed out.

Also we could always do some games here. I haven't anyone in this thread play each other yet.
Might be sort of hard for me since I have the PC version (more difficult to communicate), but if anyone's interested feel free to add me on Steam.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Remember Bison's Thailand stage that was announced three months ago and still hasn't been released or even talked about?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This is EventScrubs we're talking about; try not to get too worried.

I heard that Season 2 was going to come with a balance patch, is that true?
They just reported the news; Famitsu were the ones that actually did the interview.

And yeah I think they mentioned that we'll be getting a balance patch sometime in January once CPT is over. I'm praying for some Chun nerfs and Alex buffs.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
They just reported the news; Famitsu were the ones that actually did the interview.

And yeah I think they mentioned that we'll be getting a balance patch sometime in January once CPT is over. I'm praying for some Chun nerfs and Alex buffs.
#MakeBisonGreatAgain

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Or more importantly make it so that light punches don't just beat nearly every jump in. Some characters do need it but others like Ryu or Nash really don't (the hit boxes are all wrong anyways). I think heavy aerials should have priority over standing light attacks anyways.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Or more importantly make it so that light punches don't just beat nearly every jump in. Some characters do need it but others like Ryu or Nash really don't (the hit boxes are all wrong anyways). I think heavy aerials should have priority over standing light attacks anyways.
More important than actual character balancing? I think not. Besides, some characters like Bison and Karin would be ****ed without anti-air jabs.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Anti-air jabs are annoying because they are incredibly easy to do and you usually put the opponent in a 50/50 position. At least when you do a shoryuken, you have to perform a specific input that rewards you for reacting so quickly. But in the case of anti-air jabs, just tap one button and your opponent can never jump. I main Alex (who has a gigantic anti-air jab) and even I find this to be annoying and would like it to be changed as well. What they need to do is nerf AA-jabs and buff other anti-air options (in Alex's case, make his cr. HP and air knee smash more useful).

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Anti-air jabs are annoying because they are incredibly easy to do and you usually put the opponent in a 50/50 position. At least when you do a shoryuken, you have to perform a specific input that rewards you for reacting so quickly. But in the case of anti-air jabs, just tap one button and your opponent can never jump. I main Alex (who has a gigantic anti-air jab) and even I find this to be annoying and would like it to be changed as well. What they need to do is nerf AA-jabs and buff other anti-air options (in Alex's case, make his cr. HP and air knee smash more useful).
What's wrong with Air Knee Smash? I don't play much Alex, but the move seems to function as far as I can see.

Buffing anti-air options all around would be very nice. All Bison really has is slow ass crouching fierce and Head Press. I'd love it if they gave EX Inferno a taller hitbox and invincibility on startup. I feel like it would eliminate a lot of Bison's problems.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
More important than actual character balancing? I think not. Besides, some characters like Bison and Karin would be ****ed without anti-air jabs.
I specifically said that some characters need it, but I used Ryu and Nash as examples of characters who really don't. Character balancing is definitely important, but AA jabs has everything to do with character balancing and the characters in this game are already decently balanced enough that fixing other issues first is justifiable.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
characters in this game are already decently balanced enough that fixing other issues first is justifiable.
Not when the issue is something as trivial as jabs and when there's Chun-Li out there wrecking everybody's **** while Zangief and F.A.N.G look on in jealousy.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Not when the issue is something as trivial as jabs and when there's Chun-Li out there wrecking everybody's **** while Zangief and F.A.N.G look on in jealousy.
Anti-air jabs are annoying because they are incredibly easy to do and you usually put the opponent in a 50/50 position. At least when you do a shoryuken, you have to perform a specific input that rewards you for reacting so quickly. But in the case of anti-air jabs, just tap one button and your opponent can never jump.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What's wrong with Air Knee Smash? I don't play much Alex, but the move seems to function as far as I can see.
The non-EX versions lose to most other aerials. The EX one is the only real reliable one, but that costs meter.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Congratulations, you can quote.
The non-EX versions lose to most other aerials. The EX one is the only real reliable one, but that costs meter.
Wow, does it really? That sounds really bad. So it's pretty much only a combo ender?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
New Christmas content incoming

Sadly no Santa Birdie or Gief. I love how Capcom censors Mika's buttslap but continues to give Laura barely any clothes.

Also the first Season 2 character will be playable at PSX.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
New Christmas content incoming

Sadly no Santa Birdie or Gief. I love how Capcom censors Mika's buttslap but continues to give Laura barely any clothes.

Also the first Season 2 character will be playable at PSX.
All those costumes are really tacky and not good holiday costumes. But it's not like I expected much.

The best one is Christmas Cowboy Ken btw. Boxer Shorts Mika and Bear Killer Gief are nice too.

I love how Capcom censors Mika's buttslap but continues to give Laura barely any clothes.
Pfffft.

If Capcom were forced to change it (they weren't!) they wouldn't have so many "smexy" costumes in SFV.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Season 2 silhouettes, all of them are newcomers.

ALSO MVC INFINITE CONFIRMED!

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Season 2 silhouettes, all of them are newcomers.

ALSO MVC INFINITE CONFIRMED!
New characters......interesting move.

My guesses:

Silhouette #1 - Helen/Kolin
Silhouette #2 - No idea (I would laugh if it was Peter)
Silhouette #3 - Azam?
Silhouette #4 - A new female character?
Silhouette #5 - A new male character?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
New characters......interesting move.

My guesses:

Silhouette #1 - Helen/Kolin
Silhouette #2 - No idea (I would laugh if it was Peter)
Silhouette #3 - Azam?
Silhouette #4 - A new female character?
Silhouette #5 - A new male character?
#4 Sort of looks like the ninja doll from story mode (the one that hit Gief with the sword).

Apparently we'll be getting more info after CC top 8.

EDIT: https://mobile.twitter.com/KBradJStorm/status/805138789085548545

Take it with a grain of salt but apparently Mika's getting nerfed.

EDIT 2: https://twitter.com/Circa_LPN/status/805152842994499585

Mika's f. MP ("HERE AND GO!") has been nerfed, opponent no longer bounces back towards her unless done in the corner. Also you can't change the direction of it anymore.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In case anybody didn't see the official, better quality trailer, here:
Akuma has two Critical Arts: KKZ from SFIII (which looks kinda disappointing) and of course, Raging Demon. He also has Misogi and Messatsu-Goshoryu for his EX Goshoryu, depending on whether or not he's in V-Trigger.

It also sounds like he has a new, not horrible English voice actor, which I personally am incredibly grateful for.

Also, he's Mufasa.

#4 Sort of looks like the ninja doll from story mode (the one that hit Gief with the sword).

Apparently we'll be getting more info after CC top 8.

EDIT: https://mobile.twitter.com/KBradJStorm/status/805138789085548545

Take it with a grain of salt but apparently Mika's getting nerfed.

EDIT 2: https://twitter.com/Circa_LPN/status/805152842994499585

Mika's f. MP ("HERE AND GO!") has been nerfed, opponent no longer bounces back towards her unless done in the corner. Also you can't change the direction of it anymore.
You know what's funny? I didn't know what move you were talking about until I read the quote. Every time I think of Mika, I immediately associate her with "HERE! AND GO!"

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
https://twitter.com/Circa_LPN/status/805162905960267776

Balrog has apparently lost screw upper, which means we could be getting headbutt back.

You know what's funny? I didn't know what move you were talking about until I read the quote. Every time I think of Mika, I immediately associate her with "HERE! AND GO!"
The actual name is "Irish Whip," though I doubt anyone knew that (and after this update just about no one will remember it).

EDIT: http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/fdata-gok.html

Akuma has 875 health, lowest in the game.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
https://twitter.com/Circa_LPN/status/805162905960267776

Balrog has apparently lost screw upper, which means we could be getting headbutt back.

The actual name is "Irish Whip," though I doubt anyone knew that (and after this update just about no one will remember it).

EDIT: http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/fdata-gok.html

Akuma has 875 health, lowest in the game.
Jesus Christ, 875? That's the lowest its ever been, I'm pretty sure. People like Guile, Bison, and Karin are going to kill him in one combo.

Have you seen anything regarding M. Bison or Rashid?

Edit: I was wrong, that's not Kongou Kokuretsuzan as his Critical Art, its that one move he did in his SFIV Arcade Mode ending.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Jesus Christ, 875? That's the lowest its ever been, I'm pretty sure. People like Guile, Bison, and Karin are going to kill him in one combo.

Have you seen anything regarding M. Bison or Rashid?
Not sure about those two, but here's some REALLY big changes:

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/805169706244018176

- Antiair jabs all worse
- ONLY ex dps have invul
- Frame adv/positioning worse post-throws, no pressure midscreen

So through that many characters (Ryu, Alex, Ken) have been greatly nerfed. Hoping they'll at least buff Alex's other anti-airs now that st. LP is basically useless.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Not sure about those two, but here's some REALLY big changes:

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/805169706244018176

- Antiair jabs all worse
- ONLY ex dps have invul
- Frame adv/positioning worse post-throws, no pressure midscreen

So through that many characters (Ryu, Alex, Ken) have been greatly nerfed. Hoping they'll at least buff Alex's other anti-airs now that st. LP is basically useless.
So normal uppercuts are now completely vulnerable? Or do they have partial invincibility like Guile's Flash Kick? Cause if it's the former, I'm not sure I like that change. I definitely don't like the throw change, either.

Sari Sari , nevermind, I just checked the page myself. Turns out Bison and F.A.N.G have both been buffed, which makes me very happy. Bison now has a 3 frame normal and F.A.N.G's V-Trigger now actually does something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Congrats to the winner of CPT!

KnuckleDu

We'll be getting a list of S2 changes tomorrow. Also it's now 100% confirmed that the newcomers are all completely new to the Street Fighter (so no Abel, Sean, C. Viper, Sagat, Cody, and worst of all NO T. HAWK!).

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Last night I honestly started watching CPT in the last four rounds just to see the MvC Infinite gameplay, but the matches actually ended up being pretty hype. I also was not disappointed with the MvC Infinite gameplay trailer other than I was hoping the graphics would have the whole comic book feel that MvC3 had. I never had UMvC3 before (though I have played it), but I am definitely going to get it on the PS4 for Christmas this year.

Top Bottom