• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I agree that SRK can feel so different from SWF. I generally get a totally different atmosphere just hanging out with people for fighting games than for Smash. Most people here are more open-minded about stuff (or at least acknowledge other communities' existences) while SRK feels so serious all the time.

Also, fighting game players are mad ghetto, yo.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like visiting SRK, there are some cool people there. There are a lot of dumb new posters though that make the weirdest comments and giving the weirdest inputs on how the games should be changed. Some newer posters think the veterans are old/salty/being elitists when they (the new posters) don't actually know what they're talking about.

I see this happening a lot on 3rd Strike and MvC3 boards considering a lot of them have never played MvC2 or 3rd Strike to a certain degree.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That does happen a lot, minato. I stay out of it when that type of **** happens,
Same. SRK has so much drama (as with a lot of boards).
I do find SWF much more friendly though. But that might be because Smash seems to have segregated communities at times.

Melee and Brawl debates are small since the mods try to keep a hold on stuff like that.
But it definitely appears when it's in a thread on Brawl+, Project M, etc.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
As a dude who used to post A LOT in the P:M thread i can stay the brawl vs melee happend a lot when l canceling was brought up. New players don't wanna learn it and melee players don't want it out, but we ended the discussion with "the M stands for MELEE, like it or GTFO and play B+".

Gojira

Smash Lord
Can't Seth just Sonic Boom, s. HP, Teleport, DP, or Pogo Kick him?
About the sonic boom

Seth's sonic booms are to only be used at full screen to near full screen or in a block string or he will lose half life. They also have too much recovery to do anything other than a jumping Fierce.

Standing Hard punch.
Standing Hard punch is only good when they are afraid to jump at you and are forced to inch forward. With the removal of JP they can bypass half the play field at will.

Teleport
Can easily be punished since its recovery Nerf. Still usable though

DP
His DP is still amazing vs Geif or...vs anyone . . .Seth has a really good DP. This alone CAN warrant the removal of J.FP and force us to use DP more.

Pogo kick (stomps?)
They are getting drastically nerfed as well. their "Hit box is getting smaller" This will prevent Seth from jumping up for instant stomps after tandem pressure. This means you can jump and do jumping Fier-....oh wait. In the Gief match-up because of the smaller hitbox this most likely means lariat may beat them out now.

Overall Seth is much worse. His original design was to be a keep away character. If he loses Ultra 1 as anti fireball and J.FP he only retains one keep away poke. IF these changes go through he will drop to D tier for sure.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
@Minato, I haven't seen much agression on Brawl+ or P:M threads at all.
I guess I've been seeing a lot of comments such as "Just go play Melee", "Why do a mod and ruin Brawl?", "This is dumb, I wonder why people are even bothering with modding this".

But yeah, it wasn't too bad. And I guess people have accepted to just stay out of the other game's affairs.

Edit: I have no clue what Capcom is doing with Seth. He's going to be a different character at this rate.
I just hope that they have something in mind on what they want him to be, or at least I'm hoping these nerfs to Seth were experimental.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I'm sure he's already D tier. Or at least somewhere in the lower area. He was nerfed too hard.

Someone please explain to me what makes Seth's DP good. I see weak damage (on grounded chars), bad AA, and laggy recovery.

Gojira

Smash Lord
I'm sure he's already D tier. Or at least somewhere in the lower area. He was nerfed too hard.

Someone please explain to me what makes Seth's DP good. I see weak damage (on grounded chars), bad AA, and laggy recovery.
Seth is not currently D-Tier.

-He has the most wake-up options
-Mix-up game is unrivaled
-Has solid stun game
-His Keep away game is insane
-His tandem pressure in the corner is insane.
-U2 can chip over half the cast after one of his million amazing resets

The only drawback is his really bad health and stun.

His Dragon Punch is amazing.
The LP version when timed good and even in trades sets up his amazing reset game, ultra 2, and super if you are feeling bored. His FP SRK has amazing priority and goes insanley far. For the reasons previously stated his SRK has horrid recovery and it should.

Seth is truly the only character you can say "he is really good if you know how to use him" as its 100% true.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Once the console version eventually gets patched, I might move on to using the twins if they feel like their 3rd Strike form (which they sound like at the moment). Yun was one of my characters in 3rd Strike. I'll stick with Ibuki as always. I'm really hoping Q makes it in as well since I liked using him.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm still waiting on Elena and R. Mika. Especially the latter as I want to see Fuerte's fanboyism for Mika canon, and the hilarious results.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Mika and Elena are perhaps the only Street Fighter characters that I'd keep as a main. The rest...goes with the wind.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Well, ThreeX, I'm in a totally different location right now (NC) with a totally different ISP, so we might have a better connection. Wanna give it a try?

btw, you're going to have to add another name because it's on my brother's Xbox and retrieving tags is a pain.

X the Derp

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Three X
You need to work on your escape game. There were a number of times where you could've gotten out of my okizeme game or even use Ultra 2 with Bison to stop me.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Lag is gay. Even on a perfect connection, it's too difficult to tech throws that you can see from the other side of the universe.
I don't find teching (non-kara) throws too difficult (especially with Option Selects) online.
The most annoying thing for me on lag are dumb reversals and mashed out moves during a failed block string.

That wouldn't have been a problem if SF4 didn't have that auto block mechanic or whatever it's called.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm confused on this whole auto-block thing. Doesn't that apply to multi-hit moves like Chun-Li's Lightning Kicks and Ryu's Metsu Hadouken?

Anyway, Ono seems to have been in quite the mood today to unveil several new alternate costumes.

Ken

Rufus
Hakan
El Fuerte
Abel
Ibuki
C. Viper
Rose

My thoughts:

Ken - The shorts aren't the greatest choice, but it's a good alt. with a shoutout to the Alpha series.
Rufus - Thank God that snail trail is gone. I don't think I'm going to like Plumber Butt though.
Hakan - Pants look kinda weird. I don't know anything about Turkey so I don't have anything else to say.
El Fuerte - Love every single detail and the snake motif and sugar skull. He practically has a heel costume. I'm now torn between this and his Aztec costume.
Abel - Nice contrast to his regular costumes. He can't always be emo.
Ibuki - Aside from the heel shoes (which would likely affect her damage box), I love this, especially the shirt; simple, yet elegant.
C. Viper - Sexy scientist is sexy.
Rose - Now her hair won't defy the laws of physics.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm confused on this whole auto-block thing. Doesn't that apply to multi-hit moves like Chun-Li's Lightning Kicks and Ryu's Metsu Hadouken?
Auto Block will happen once you block the first attack of a block string. What it does is keep you blocking until you're out of block stun.

So if a Ryu was doing his block string of crouching jab/short/strong/forward, the opponent can mash SRK and still be blocking. So pretty much if the Ryu misses a link, the SRK can come out. Since SFIV has an easier shortcut for DPs, the opponent has an easier time mashing it out. Of course, stuff like this can be baited though.

For the older games, it was harder to mash it out because of no auto block, and having no shortcuts for DPs since the input forces you to stand. While I'm not really angry at this, it's just a small annoyance.

OR, I could be completely wrong in this and it's all in my head.
Online will do that to people. lol

Tomo Takino

Smash Ace
Its more of an annoucne online than off. If someone's doing it in person, you can hear the insanse mashing, drop the block string, block their SRK, punish. :3

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
You don't need to mash it offline when you know they are coming. Honestly, I wish there was a greater visual cue when a throw is coming. I really feel that Blazblue did that very well and I'm glad it had a 7-frame tech window because throws are very unpredictable in that game. I'd say keep the 3-frame window in this, but just add an exclamation mark or something.

Also, loving Makoto's alt.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
You don't need to mash it offline when you know they are coming. Honestly, I wish there was a greater visual cue when a throw is coming. I really feel that Blazblue did that very well and I'm glad it had a 7-frame tech window because throws are very unpredictable in that game. I'd say keep the 3-frame window in this, but just add an exclamation mark or something.

Also, loving Makoto's alt.
The blazblue grab system was horrible.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Grabs didn't work because of the giant teching window. The visual cue helped a lot too, but really, just keep the SFIV tech window, but give a better cue. That's all.
I'd rather not have that. Pros can tech grabs in SF games because they can tell when a throw is coming. What the opponent does can lead them to believe that they're going to throw. At the same time, the opponent doesn't have to throw, so that adds another level of mindgames to it.

In BB's case, grabs can lead to combos which is why they gave a little cue on when you should tech it. They also did that so you'd know if a throw reject happened. If they gave that in SSFIV, turtlers would be even better than they already are since they won't have to worry about throws any longer (even if the tech window stayed the same, IMO).

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Like minato said.. os teching/crouch teching is pretty effective. At the same time, there's frame traps to really blow up crouch techs. So you have to mix in both. But you can stand grab certain frame traps also: rogs s.rh, bisons s.fierce, cammys s.mp etc. Throwing/teching is still just part of fundamentals, imo I guess.

Online play will always be a joke (unless you live in japan :D) so you shouldn't judge things from online.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Like minato said.. os teching/crouch teching is pretty effective. At the same time, there's frame traps to really blow up crouch techs. So you have to mix in both. But you can stand grab certain frame traps also: rogs s.rh, bisons s.fierce, cammys s.mp etc. Throwing/teching is still just part of fundamentals, imo I guess.

Online play will always be a joke (unless you live in japan :D) so you shouldn't judge things from online.
I don't judge things from online. I go to offline tournaments and I know online is a joke. I see y'all's points though.

Top Bottom