• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Gates

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, Justin Long did beat Daigo in winner's finals.

But yeah, you can't beat The Beast.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Oh my god, if you didnt watch SF4 teams at Seasons Beatings 4, you missed the greatest screencap ever.

Daigo Umehara + Morton's Salt + Pringles + Flite.

LOOOOOOOOOL.
possibly the greatest pic ever made. If it only had SCOOPS...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
*remembers that he still has to do a write-up of the set*

Man, I was hoping that they'd hand daigo a can of salt and let him hand it to JWong after grands.

That woulda been epic.

___

edit: So I made my post about Daigo vs JWong.
It's a dumb long read (to the point of where I honestly don't want to kill this thread copying it here.)

Feel free to leave any feedback, comment, etc etc.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I am an Akuma user!

XBOX = kyarisan

if anyone has X-Box here, please challenge! :)

Oh and JWong is a ***** IMO for using Fei when he said he wouldn't.... but Daigo overcame the matchup anyway, so... haha.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yeah, Jwong said he wasnt going console on the first to 10. That was a legit thing to do seeing how that was a straight up exhibition between him and daigo.

Tourney, however? That was completely legit. Daigo came to america and played in an american tourney, and we play on console here. So it falls on him to know matchups. (which he half ***ly learned during winners and grands, because he never learned to completely stop throwing Hado against a midrange Fei with meter).

But what was funny was like, the day after when I was sitting in the irc channel reading buktooth roast on Jwong's "50% fei long". It's pretty interesting how tip-of-the-iceberg his Fei-Long is as compared to what's been found out.

It's also interesting to note that ex-chicken wing gives you like, 4 frames of advantage on hit, meaning Jwong was just giving damage away like candy the entire time. -Shrug- Ah well.

___

Beyond that, Daigo was like, one link away from losing to Jibbo's Gen. He was pretty close to having to face Sanford in singles, but Sanford got upset by... I forget who? Iloveu Joe I think?

___

Flashmetroid made a good point in the irc chat that "It doesnt matter how much Daigo reads about these matchups, he physically cant learn them unless he plays high level players of these characters, which dont exist in japan" but the problem still remains that this tourney didnt happen in Japan.

It happened in America. We dont have a real arcade scene here.

__

What really got me in the past few weeks is

How bad west coast got demolished by Emp. Arc. at Bar Fights II (I dont think the entire thing is up yet, but there IS a torrent if you'd rather DL that)

Get at Sanford's Cammy.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
On the off chance that nobody's posted this already, here's the official blog where they give updates on the game a la smashbros.com. Don't expect it to be like Smashbros.com though - it's entirely in Japanese (as far as I know there's not English version), and the updates are relatively minor.

The most recent one I think was the Character Select portraits. Pretty nice looking, especially Dee Jay's, since it's nice that he doesn't look psychotic for once.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I was at Barfights II. The atmosphere in the room felt like Martin Luther King died.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I found this SSF4 Preview over at IGN. It's nothing more than what you'll see at eventhubs, but there's an interview with JWong. I'm not sure why there's a question on SSB there, but JWong's answer is pure flamebait.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/103/1038350p1.html

IGN: Are you a fan of Super Smash Bros.?

Justin Wong: No, I don't like Super Smash Bros. at all.

IGN: What's the difference between Super Smash Bros. and Street Fighter IV?

Justin Wong: Smash Bros. is more like a family game and Street Fighter IV is actually a fighting game.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
IGN: I would compare Street Fighter IV to chess. Do you think that's an accurate comparison? It's all about reading the person you're playing.

Justin Wong: Actually, I think it's more like rock-paper-scissors. If scissors beats paper, and paper beats rock, and rock beats scissors
lol sounds like how we describe smash. but thats like every other fighting game, hehe

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
It's kind of like smash except in smash, all of the best characters have a **** ton of rocks, and all of the bad characters only have a box of scissors and a few papers are just lying around for them to get lucky with maybe. But often times they accidentally cut their paper to shreds leaving them with just scissors again.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
hahaha. i consider the top characters as scissor with diamond tipped blades, and that the careless users cut themselves.

but he called smash a family game :( oh well, people are entitled to their own opinions

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Hahahahahaha, why all of that is true (especially the boobies since her ultra rewards you with a boob bounce), her playstyle fits my other mains (except DDD) from fighters as well. The only thing I am concerned about is her versus characters who acel at long range plays. I'd be interested in seeing how Juri vs. Dalai pans out. Given, I'm only going off what I saw Wong doing. Even outside of balance she could still be an unfinished character.

noradseven

Smash Lord
**** I like juri alot too, great oki, fluid moves, now if only she had a AA command grab and I would be set.

She looks a little overpowered ATM but people really need to learn how to fight her before that can be determined.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Nothing's wrong with Jwong's answer at all.

And I like how people are sittin in here raggin on him like he's never played either smash or anything. :laugh:

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Jwong isn't wrong, the overall technical level between melee and street fighter is noticable.

But anyway, has anyone heard more about if other characters from earlier street fighter games are going to be there? I wonder if they'll do what they did with SF4 and do some trailers for characters like they did with sakura, gouki, gouken, etc.

But Juri is bringing some nice things to the table (as in PLAYSTYLE) and she can fit with my preference of characters that go in the categories of:
Ninja: Claw
America: Guile
Evil: Dictator

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I just realized something - Juri will be the first overtly villainous female character in Street Fighter who isn't under mind control (unless, of course, she is). Viper isn't a good guy, but we don't know how villainous she is yet. Meanwhile, I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure none of the female characters in the side series Street Fighter: EX were villainous- one went insane, but it was a curse or something, not her choosing to be villainous.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Viper is evil. Her arcade ending strongly suggests that she's working with the CIA as an informant from inside SIN with the end goal of sabotaging it from the inside, though it could also be possible that her mission with the CIA is to eliminate SIN and steal all its data. In any case, she seems to be working separatley from the other group of heroes investigating it (Chun Li, Guile, Cammy, etc.) which leads to conflicts with them but her goal is ultimately the same.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace

Nice new character pic- there aren't any new characters on there, though I can't recognize the guy standing behind Honda.

If the pic is even halfway accurate to the character models, it appears that Chun Li's ridiculous thighs aren't going to be getting any smaller, if anything they'll be twice as big! :laugh:

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if they're planning on bringing back special intros between characters? I don't know why they didn't have the Ryu and Ken fist pound intro, or Sagat clutching his scar when facing Ryu, or Vega throwing a rose to the female characters, etc. I suppose all of them went into the Rival matches, but a few of them still should be there (especially the Ryu and Ken one).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nice new character pic- there aren't any new characters on there, though I can't recognize the guy standing behind Honda.
If you were still wondering, it's Bison.
Does anyone know if they're planning on bringing back special intros between characters? I don't know why they didn't have the Ryu and Ken fist pound intro, or Sagat clutching his scar when facing Ryu, or Vega throwing a rose to the female characters, etc. I suppose all of them went into the Rival matches, but a few of them still should be there (especially the Ryu and Ken one).
Yeah, those were awesome. I miss those.
They should totally bring those back.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
We have cinematic intros and not to mention rival matches, so I doubt we will get special intros like in SF III and CvS 2.

Which is kinda lame, because there were some really cool ones, like Alex versus Hugo or Ibuki versus Makoto in 3rd Strike or Vega when he fights an "ugly" character or a female character in CvS 2, those were fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN2CgX2L2jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwJI8xD7UPo

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Viper isn't a good guy, but we don't know how villainous she is yet.
Both the intro and the ending for her suggest that she's a CIA agent who has to destroy SIN from within. Here's another thing to note, she never intends to kill nor does she actually do it minus killing Seth. When she had her gun aimed at Cammy telling her to not delete the data, she didn't shoot Cammy when she deleted it. She just went on with her life. Not only that, but I can't picture her being completely evil and having a daughter she deeply loves.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Wall bounces. I'd love to see how this works in for new characters and see if old characters get tweaked from 3rd Strike (Well, by "old characters 3rd Strike I guess I mean Ken, Chun, Akuma and Ryu :/). I mean, getting them next to a wall and hitting with HK basically guaranteed an Ultra for Rufus already.

Oh, and Dee Jay info. Awesome.

I think I may try to pick up T. Hawk in this. Looks really fun, I like the grappler characters in fighters.

This new announcer is getting on my nerves. I don't know why his voice irks me.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Either Juri's got very little health or T. Hawk's Super does a crapload of damage. I think it did even more than his Ultra.

Back before info was revealed about her, I had an argument with a guy on Youtube who said Juri would be a clone of Kim Kaphwan simply because she uses Taekwondo. Looking back on it, it looks like he was partly on the right track - she's definitely not the same, but she seems to be very similar move wise - if it weren't for her low health, she's probably be a very good push character, constantly attacking, mixing up, and catching opponents of guard. That pinwheel and diving kick especially reming me of Kim.

Also, I noted that, in the interview, Killian referred to "boss characters," in the plural sense. Hint, perhaps?

Top Bottom