• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
A game that demands a high level of execution isn't neccessarily deep. Melee is far more technical and both games have quite a bit of depth at a high level.

I do think it's harder to get really good in Melee though since you have to learn so much technical stuff before you even learn how to fight. SF4 is not hard to get good at. It's just knowing your options, your spacing, block strings, etc. Melee's loose combat engine actually makes things harder.

It makes controlling your opponent and the flow of the match much more difficult.
Loose game engine doesn't always = harder, in fact it usually goes in making it easier, the exceptions are games like MvC2 where at the deep end, it is insanely ridiculous on what you have to learn.

However what real "technical" stuff are you guys talking about before learning how to play Melee? Short Hopping, wavedashing? All of these are advance tactics, and are not the basics, because the real basics of Melee are easy to grasp and learn, which in comparison to SFIV, the basics in there are much harder. I don't understand where you guys are pulling all of the technical aspects from, however the basics of Melee is ridiculously easy to pick up and learn (I'm talking about moving, jumping, attacking, specials, grabbing items <--- for Melee's case etc).

SHing, WDing, Edge hogging, shuffling, universal basics etc, etc are all advance tactics in Melee's, and let's compare those to what you have to do in SF:IV, High/Low mixups, cross ups, FADcing, FA baits, tick throws, chip damage, spacing, positioning, footsies, etc, etc...the line up is much more broad and bigger in SFIV.

This is why general people can pick up Melee, that's why little kids can get into it quickly. SFIV, the understanding of a six button layout, the fact that moves requires execution and precision by the player (given there is more leniency now a days) means that basic's...non experience fighting gamers will pick up SFIV slower. Sure it's not as difficult as it once was in SFII, however the demands are still there.

You guys are also forgetting one huge gigantic difference from SFIV to Melee. That is that in Melee, everyone has the same button attack setups for ALL of their moves, yes, different properties, however the button commands are the same. While in SFIV there is a larger gap of mastering multiple execution points, which makes things more difficult. If you play Ryu and start to figure his stuff out, then you go to play Zangief...your basically starting all over, because his executions are different in that his revolves around 360's etc, etc, while Ryu's did not.

That's why although Marth may play differently from Shiek, since everyone has the same string of attacks, one can easily get access to other characters due to this, however the same cannot be said for SFIV, unless your switching from Ryu to Ken. I believe you guys are really exaggerating Melee's basics in comparison to SF's to try and make it look as "technical" however it's not even close seriously.

Spacing in SF, I repeat...Spacing in SF is/was never easy to master, ask any good SF player who difficult spacing really is in that game. I've played SF for over 15+ years, and my spacing is not even near perfect yet.

You ever noticed guys like Tomo...they could stuff on Guile's c.mk with sweep on reaction...on reaction! Now if you can do this...Guile gets absolutely destroyed, however only like two shoto players in history that I know of have done this nearly 99% consistency...Tomo, and Wats. This is why during the height of Hyper Fighting, although Ryu was #1 in that game, only TWO players in the entire US could play Ryu to that potential...simply because learning how to space correctly which was Ryu's strongest point in SFII was absolutely ridiculously difficult to get really, really good at.

You will see solid players who space well, however you will very, very rarely see players with a monster spacing game. To be serious, top SF players like today don't even have spacing down as well as the OLD SF cats of old. In fact, the best spacers in SF are usually the best players.

This is not "easy" in anyway, because I tell you this, if you mastered spacing in SFIV near flawless, Sagat would be S++++++++++++ Tier, while Ryu and Dhalsim would be far and away 2nd placers due to all three of them having very powerful spacing and footsie games.

However, let's take this into consideration, in Melee, you are absolutely correct in not having to worry as much against the opponent. However in SF, try controlling not just your character, but all the while trying to limit and control what your opponent can and cannot do, your doing this all the while your spacing, trying to dominate for a position. There's just simply way more to deal with in just a single match up in SF:IV in comparison to Melee, due to the fact that there is so many things that you have to do/worry about within that round.

Yes, this really is my absolute last time talking about this, I've grown tired of it, if you "seriously" believe Melee is more demanding, w/e, however the points are spoken here already.

Maybe it's just a 360 vs. PS3 thing, but I've only experienced noticeable lag once, and that was playing against a friend whose roommate happened to be torrenting something. When they shut down the torrent it was fine.

I'm really impressed with online play. Miles and miles ahead of Brawl at the very least. It's still not as good as playing in person obviously, but it's actually quite playable.
To be real, I like playing in the moment, and when I lose, I want the lost to be because I made a mistake myself, and the opponent capitalized on it. There was times I was playing my out of town cousin online in SF:IV, and had in the corner, he throw out a low poke and I punished with EX-Tatsu...however I couldn't pull off my Ultra because of the annoying spike that occurred from when my Ex-Tatsu was like mid-way through finish, which completely threw me off of my execution.

Yes, indeed it is better then most other online games, which I can assuredly attest to that (3S online for the XBox was absolutely atrocious), however overall it's just not my taste. Now don't get me wrong, there's been some beastly players who've come out of Online FG's, guys like Magnetomaniac I believe that's his name was an absolute monster in MvC2 (fear his Duo War's), and I believe Afrolegends came from this frey as well...and he's super beast in ST.

Anyhow, I started to mess around with C.Viper and now I can really start to see why she's very beastly, those BK shenanegans are absolutely off the wall, you get the opponents guessing whether to block forward or back, lol. My goodness, she's got some huge **** potential in this game, mad serious, and I'm starting to become a believer that she is a contender for Top...however we'll see if these tricks can stand the test of time.

If you guys don't believe me, check out some matches of Kindevu's C.Viper...it's absolutely insane!

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
SF:IV, High/Low mixups, cross ups, FADcing, FA baits, tick throws, chip damage, spacing, positioning, footsies,
Blue means it's not an AT. Mixing up your moves, baiting your opponent, they are not ATs, they are mindgames. You should mix things up in any game you play. Just because there's no defined High and Low in Smash, doesn't mean you can't mix up moves on your opponent. Red are true AT's, although there really isn't anything difficult to grasp about crossing up or tick throws, imo. Green means they are in Melee (And really aren't AT's either). You have to space in Melee, you need to keep great control of your position in Melee (perhaps even moreso than in SF because of Melee's platforming aspects), and footsies to an extent thanks to shield poking.
And really, in Pink, if chip damage is an AT, then shieldstun might as well be an AT in Smash.
It's a ****ing gameplay feature.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
Someone speaks here as if "spacing", "matchup knowledge" and "mindgames"("staying 2-3 steps ahead of your opponent") are seriously specific to Street Fighter IV and only that. This is basic knowledge for any competitive fighting game, whether it be Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Tekken, Smash, Virtua Fighter, Melty Blood, etc... yet you bring it up as if it's a major contending point of SFIV depth > Smash depth.

ok got that out of my system

===============

I remember reading that DLC characters are out. I don't quite remember the reason, but I think it was something along the lines of it being unfair to people without internet to get character people with internet do, and, thus, the only DLC options are for superficial things like costumes, though I could be thinking of a different game.

The problem with new versions of SFIV is that games are more expensive (to buy) nowadays, and the age of cheating gamers out of large amounts of money for a few new characters and a gameplay quirk is over. Capcom's going to have to get used to either DLC or sequels.
Oh trust me, we're talking about CAPCOM here, a company that's used to milking every series they have for what it's worth. How many versions of Street Fighter II came out again rite
(to be fair, many of the different versions of SF2 that did come out were balance changes and one added the new characters)

For some reason Persona 3 FES comes to mind regarding a sort of "expansion pack" to the game(for those that don't know what it is, it's an RPG that took the original game and added extra quests and another main story arc to continue off of the original's ending) - hell, Capcom could do something similar on that end and do some massive gameplay tweaks and add new characters... but it'd have to be real good to prevent it from being a complete gimmick.

tl;dr version: I wouldn't discount the possibility of another version of SFIV just yet. This is Capcom we're talking about here.

On the online, I've only ever had one bad online experience. Desperate for a match after being unable to play tons of others, I settled for someone with one bar of internet. I spent the whole thing under massive lag, getting my *** kicked, unable to really make a move and plan ahead, while the other guy was clearly used to it.
SOUNDS LIKE BRAWL LOL

But that's seriously something I like about SFIV's matchmaking, you can see how stable the connection is BEFORE going into the game.

Though you'd have to figure out when dead hours are for playing around your time, or deal with playing foreigners and unstable connections most of the time.

Other than that, the internet's been perfect, on the X:Box 360 at least. I agree about the Ken players too. At least the wave of people who used Gouken without actually knowing anything about him has passed.
I dunno how PSN is to be honest, since I played on XBox Live myself - would some people think the PSN community is better or worse(or even?) compared to the Live community regarding SFIV?

===============

Even if they've said that DLC characters would be unfair to those without an internet connection, I still believe they'll be releasing downloadable characters. They said they had models and movesets built for T. Hawk and Deejay... I don't see a reason they wouldn't be willing to cash that out, especially with them already charging 320 Microsoft Points for alternative COSTUMES.
Well for one, say there's a match online and someone that used DLC to get Dee Jay or T.Hawk selects those characters against someone that doesn't have said DLC - what then? The models and movesets are built into the game, but are they fully implemented? There must be a viable reason why they weren't put into the game aside from just milking more money off of customers.

I'd think so anyway.

===============

Also guys, I'd like to see what you guys think about this picture.
May be NSFW, not sure. Just pure innuendo and MAYBE looking too much into things.

^^;;

Grunt

Smash Master
melee's easier to pick up and understand. You can't really deny it, it was intended to be easy, and it is.

SF is harder. I understand the whole spacing thing very well, but don't know if i would call it "technical" since i usually apply that to moving fingers really fast, which is where muscle memory usually plays a big part in. mastering your spacing in SF in **** hard to do, but it seems like more of a knowledge thing rather than a technical aspect of SF.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
melee's easier to pick up and understand. You can't really deny it, it was intended to be easy, and it is.
The smartest thing I've read since the Melee to SF comparison. I want to seriously continue and debate about this, however I promised that I would refrain from doing so already.

So, anyhow, don't know if anyone bothered to watch, or had access to the Street Fighter IV Anime Ties that Bind, however although it is still wavered by some that there are canon parts to this, not all it's entirety "is entirely canon". So if you don't want me to spoil it for you, do not read beyond this...

Warning: May contain some spoilers for SF:IV Anime Ties that Bind

After watching this anime, it gives me every notion why Ryu is one of the most powerful storyline wise, and that his abilities have actually surpassed what I had originally believed he was capable of doing. The mere fact that he was punching so fast and hard that shockwaves alas sonic boom's were ripping outward from his fist when contacting Seth's chest, it also indicates Seth's got some ridiculous durability as well. Now..you have to be incredible fast in order to do something like that.

In his SNH form, he was also seen completely repelling bullets which were shot directly at his face...I'm assuming it was his ridiculous aura which deflected the bullets...because I can't really imagine Ryu's skin in SNH form being impervious to bullets. This was stated at srk.com by the peeps who are talking about the canon storyline of SF, with one of them who did help to write it saying that Ryu is very capable of doing this, which is crazy!

If anyone also noticed, Ryu's Hadouken's within the movie were being portrayed at firearm speed, especially at the notion of him launching multiple shots within succession. This also confirms what Vasili and them were stating so much earlier, and what I had said all those years ago. Gouki within the anime trailer of the Ryu vs Gouki match up, he launched 17 projectiles in one-second and also showed that projectiles traveled at the slowest firearm speed.

Now gauging projectiles like Ryu's is hard, simply because it's chi and light particles...so we don't know a form of gauging that. However, Dee Jay's Max Out and Guile's Sonic Boom, we do have accurate notions for them, Dee Jay's I believe was stated to be 761 mph, while Guile's Sonic Boom goes at a ridiculous speed of Mach 2, so that's anywhere between 1,200-1,500+ mph! Which makes it faster then almost all conventional guns besides the high caliber military guns.

This also would indicate that many of the SF cast would have super human reactions, because if you didn't, Guile would destroy everyone completely. However, notions made from Capcom that someone like Ryu can dodge bullets with complete ease, then a Sonic Boom is nothing really.

I don't believe it wouldn't be hard to assume that characters on Ryu's lvl would be capable of the same feat, and then someone like Ken although assumed to be slightly weaker then Ryu, would also be capable of such feats.

It's really given me an idea and notion, that the SF cast are actually far more surreal and more superhuman then I had originally intended. I really thought only characters like Gouki, Gill, Oro, Alpha 3 Bison, and Ingrid were ridiculous, however I was wrong...alot of the other cast are crazy as well.

Side Note: Some of you may not know, but Ingrid is canon to the storyline of SF...she can travel through time, has telekinesis abilities by her levitating a giant statue (similar to the one seen in Sagat's stage) and using it to carry her to the future. Plus she was skipping across the clouds and being punched to her is like being tickled, and to top it all off...she's a Goddess...so if you put that all together, she's definitely in the elite group, and "maybe" potentially the most powerful.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
SRK has never had a high opinion of Super Smash Bros. or anyone who thinks it's a competitive game. While I agree with them on Brawl being an inferior competitive game to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, I tend not to involve myself in any debate involving Melee because I realize what a minority among them I am.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
SRK has never had a high opinion of Super Smash Bros. or anyone who thinks it's a competitive game. While I agree with them on Brawl being an inferior competitive game to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, I tend not to involve myself in any debate involving Melee because I realize what a minority among them I am.
Thinking Smash isn't competitive is just ignorant. The reasoning I see is just... wrong.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
I'm not defending them, but I do know their rationale.
Look at the games these people play. Marvel vs. Capcom. Tekken. Street Fighter. Guilty Gear. All of those games were born in arcades, popularized in arcades...hell, some people'd tell you they might as well have been made in arcades. Super Smash Bros. was never an arcade game. It's a platformer-style game designed exclusively for use with a console. You play it on a pad. Even playing Street Fighter on a pad can get you pointed and laughed at over there, say nothing of playing a game that can't be played any other way.
Also, it should be known that the loudest voices for Super Smash Bros.'s supremacy on SRK are pretty much the riffraff of SWF. That doesn't do well for its reputation.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Super Smash Bros. was never an arcade game. It's a platformer-style game designed exclusively for use with a console. You play it on a pad. Even playing Street Fighter on a pad can get you pointed and laughed at over there, say nothing of playing a game that can't be played any other way.
Says the (Edit: former) pad user. :p

<3 you, Maria.

And as far as supremacy goes? Lol. I can't believe they're even trying to usurp the OGs through opinions. Let 'em get flamed to hell and back.

Smooth Criminal

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I'm not defending them, but I do know their rationale.
Look at the games these people play. Marvel vs. Capcom. Tekken. Street Fighter. Guilty Gear. All of those games were born in arcades, popularized in arcades...hell, some people'd tell you they might as well have been made in arcades. Super Smash Bros. was never an arcade game. It's a platformer-style game designed exclusively for use with a console. You play it on a pad. Even playing Street Fighter on a pad can get you pointed and laughed at over there, say nothing of playing a game that can't be played any other way.
Also, it should be known that the loudest voices for Super Smash Bros.'s supremacy on SRK are pretty much the riffraff of SWF. That doesn't do well for its reputation.
...so? How is that even a valid point? That is no reason to hate an entire community.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...so? How is that even a valid point? That is no reason to hate an entire community.
When we go over there and make ***** of ourselves, yeah, there's plenty of reason for an entire STRING OF COMMUNITIES to hate us. It also doesn't help that the bulk of the Smash community is full of little kids, figuratively and literally, whereas the bulk of those OTHER fighting game communities consist of much older players.

The same could be said about some of the SRK members who came over here a while ago, trying to convince the Smash Community of the virtues of item play. While they have nearly a decade of precedence behind the notion of "no items," SRKers want to come in and demand proof several times over even when they have given them sufficient data/answers by some of the most experienced members of the Smash Community.

So, yeah, there's plenty of reasons. I particularly don't care for the bull****; I just go where I like to go.

Smooth Criminal

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Thinking Smash isn't competitive is just ignorant. The reasoning I see is just... wrong.
Don't get mad. If you can get over some people thinking you have no life for playing a videogame competitively, you can get over a couple people telling you your game sucks.

The only time I dislike anything they say is when they spread false information. Like one person thought Melee's metagame apparently had extensive use as triple jab as a combo or at least thought it was some kind of combo with use with a good amount of characters.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
The Cammy was really good with the FA usage and combos makes me want to work on them again.

But at the same time I felt that the Gen player might've been a little better at times with his cross-ups and making use of well...Gen as a character.

But does Gen have a damage Handicap like Chun, Akuma, or Vega since it seemed at times that he took more damage than I thought he would've...

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Hm...I see so thats the data gathered from the arcade characters when compared to Zangief's attacks...

So damage handicap isn't the right word to describe each character's unique endurance and stun limits

I really wished they kept the stun gauge from SF3 so you could tell how much damage you could take before you'll get stunned...and wow to gief's headbutt stun...I gotta be careful when I'm vega

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Don't get mad. If you can get over some people thinking you have no life for playing a videogame competitively, you can get over a couple people telling you your game sucks.

The only time I dislike anything they say is when they spread false information. Like one person thought Melee's metagame apparently had extensive use as triple jab as a combo or at least thought it was some kind of combo with use with a good amount of characters.
Nah, I'm not mad, I just think the whole situation is ridiculous, haha.

Yeah, the ignorance is what annoys me.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Who's the first worst? I thought it was Fuerte lol. Prolly Dan.
Depending on which tier list you look at, it's either Guile or Vega.

Really though, the game's so balanced. I love it.
Plus the tier list only goes to B rank. Brawl has seven tiers going all the way to G.
Marvel does too, but that's because there's so many characters...

smashbot226

Smash Master
Who's the first worst? I thought it was Fuerte lol. Prolly Dan.
Dan is actually Md/Mid-Low this time around.

Yeah, Vega, Guile, but El Fuerte ESPECIALLY have bad points. The first two probably because they have:

1. THE MOST ANNOYING SUPER/ULTRA INPUTS EVER.

2. A heavy reliance on "charge" attacks. Yes, many characters have this as well, but Guile's two are useful to extents and Vega's deal little damage.

3. Requires SUPER high technical skill.

And El Fuerte:

1. Weak.

2. Low stamina.

3. High aerial reliance.

4. Relies on foes to make mistakes.

5. One of the worst ultras in the game.

6. All his combos are stupid hard to input.

7. Lacks a reliable way to get in close and stay there.

OneWingSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Notice her BK BS in that match up, rofl, she's one tricky pony, I can tell you guys this much, I usually will destroy most Viper players, except the seasoned ones who really know how to utilize her tricks. It's very annoying if you don't know how to defend or go up against them.

However, I don't believe it's as bad as some people are making her out to be too. You punish her right a few times against her tricks, and you'll notice they'll be far more cautious instead of being over aggressive with their tactics. I guess it's good to play Ryu and have super good Ultra setups in this game within these situations :laugh:

Top Bottom