• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I agree that Viper is insane from an execution standpoint. I agree she's 'insane' from a strategy standpoint as well, but I think that applies to all characters. Every character has their own type of standard strategy; Viper's is just very hardcore mix-ups similar to Akuma, Makoto, and Yun.

Lowering the execution barrier IMO is never good. If you want lowered execution look at SF4 for the 3DS. Press a button; do a special; press a button; do an ultra. When EVERYONE can pull off some of the hardest combos or the most damaging combos regardless of skill level, the level of skill required to play decreases dramatically.

Execution is one of many aspects of what makes a player a good player. It applies in all video games: Starcraft 2 (micro), Melee (Fox/Falco), Brawl (...). Removing an aspect of skill from a competitive based video game reduces the skill level required to be good. For example, let's say we removed the "strategy" part and only execution mattered. Yeah, you can still have a very competitive game, but it takes away from what was there.

In regards to combos, well, who cares about combos if they're easy to do? Wow, I did a 24 hit combo by pressing a very simple and easy series of buttons. No one cares. Or... wow, I did a 8 hit combo by linking 3-4 1 frame links. Jesus this guy is a monster.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't care if a combo is hard to do or not. I like it more if the combo looks neat, but again, I don't give a damn about how hard it is.

Now let's look at those easier specials and Ultras. It's very clear that some specials were not meant for such a thing with clear examples being charge attacks and ultra grabs as those require the player to be in a specific condition to do them. If these had been one button attacks, they would've been nerfed. On the other hand, doing a hadouken or a thunder knuckle with one button wouldn't change much of anything in the long run.

Execution is important for any player, but what also matters is whether or not you can apply it right (Do I have to reiterate this again?). I could do 60 one frame links in a row, but that's not going to necessarily help me in a real match.

People put way too much emphasis on execution and not on application.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I agree.

My point is the combination of both execution and application creates a higher skill level to achieve. Both are equally important especially considering the concept of a fighting game or a video game in general: the technical aspect and the application aspect.

Removing or severely diminishing one of those aspects IMO lowers the skill bar required to play at high levels of play.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I'll admit. Only reason i'm playing SSF4 again is because of 3rd strike online coming out. :D

Almost forgot how hilarious necros voice is~!
"LESS GET IT ON!"

Xyless

Smash Master
Does anyone have SSFIV on 3DS? I'm too lazy to go through the topic and see if anyone put their friend code on.

edit: and Grapplers have terrible footsies, but you have to make them good at it, which is another reason I hate grapplers.
Gief and Abel have good footsies in comparison to the rest of the grapplers.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
No offense, but why? Completely different game :/

YOU DIED, HAHAHA!

Urien was such a ****!!
Also his name makes me think of peeing.

No offense takin. I'm playing SSF4 to get a better understanding of spacing and the buffering system. I usually play MvC3 where you can just mash your combos out. :V

OH also I was listening to this video that had the voice track of all the 3rd strike characters.

I was skipping threw it and landed on gills "RESURRECTION!"
I couldn't help but blurt out "YOU *** HOLE!"

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium

Kurando took parrying to trolling levels. Seriously. Go check out that doods Q. :D

I liked the 3rd strike characters! They were just so bizarre ya know? Likable bizarre. Like hakan! Too bad all of em were crap tier. ._.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Naah man, once a demon always a demon :3 Yang and E.ryu are madd fun though. You still rollin' Cody or have you joined the dark side?

P.S. Thanks for the msg on srk<3 lmaoo

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Viper was my most hated newcomer when the game first came out but she's also the one I first started to like, then Rufus shortly after that (his playstyle is fun, his character design still really ****ing sucks).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Anyone else catch the NorCal Regionals this weekend? Rarely am I in favor of nerfing a character, but Yun is like damn! Watching Daigo's Yun win isn't as satisfying as his Ryu!
I don't mind if there's a dominating character in a fighter. Just as long as a decent amount of the cast have abusive tools of their own.
And yeah... I'll probably be using Yun (along with other characters) when I get my hands on AE since I've always liked him as a character. I even used him in CvS2 despite his crappy footsies and slow normals.

Top Bottom