• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Story Mode or VS?

1337marth

Smash Ace
How many of you played through Story mode?

Or how many of you played VS mode to Unlock characters that way?

Personally I played Story Mode on my first time, then I tried the VS. I prefer the Story mode because VS is too easy. So how about everyone else?

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
I played adventure cause at that point I knew that I'd play this first then I could play Vs. as much as I want. Also I played it early on cause it's cool to gain characters after beaten up non traditional smash enemies such as goomba. If you play Vs. you can't fight goomba.

Edit: I had to flip my p's right side up.

Rampage

vx
I'm pretty sure it's goomba

anyway
I played through ADVENTURE mode before anything.
Then I did like the event matches and stuff

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I played Adventure mode, first.
Then I did VS. with basically all the characters.
:p
Gah, I miss Melee.

1337marth

Smash Ace
I played adventure cause at that point I knew that I'd play this first then I could play Vs. as much as I want. Also I played it early on cause it's cool to gain characters after beaten up non traditional smash enemies such as goomba. If you play Vs. you can't fight goomba.

Edit: I had to flip my p's right side up.
True goomba is fun.

I'm pretty sure it's goomba

anyway
I played through ADVENTURE mode before anything.
Then I did like the event matches and stuff
I forgot the event matches, I done all of them, but I did not like some of them *sigh*

I played Adventure mode, first.
Then I did VS. with basically all the characters.
:p
Gah, I miss Melee.
Then go back to melee, I just wish it had online, but I see as a majority most people play Adventure first.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I wish Melee had online too. I don't get many chances to go to tourneys, let alone ones that matter.
My disc broke, unfortunately, so I won't be playing it for a while D:

1337marth

Smash Ace
I wish Melee had online too. I don't get many chances to go to tourneys, let alone ones that matter.
My disc broke, unfortunately, so I won't be playing it for a while D:
That sucks, cause Melee is a great game. I haven't had many chance to go to tourneys lately. Also if it had online, I think brawl would be even more of a outcast.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
Yeah. I enjoy Brawl, but only mostly because I never really got into competitive Melee.
But I'm certainly going to explore the techincal side of Melee once I get it back. :D

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I played Story to unlock all the characters, don't remember if I played Classic or Adventure first.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember what I did the first time I played... Oh yeah, I played as pikachu at my cousins birthday and spammed, I mean SPAMMED down b. Of course, I was like 7 or 8 yrs old and it was like 2002 so yeah...

fps

Smash Rookie
I don't remember what I did the first time I played... Oh yeah, I played as pikachu at my cousins birthday and spammed, I mean SPAMMED down b. Of course, I was like 7 or 8 yrs old and it was like 2002 so yeah...
My friends still use B and Down, it's quite effective in 2 vs 2, thou' the areaeffect from the air and on the ground.

On topic:
I didn't play the adventure-mode, havn't done it with all the chars yet, I think it's so boring that I start to snore, I'm afraid I'm just up for the smashin' and dashin', not all the running. ;* For me it was Versus all the way.

Nocturnalist

Smash Ace
i played VS first and i didnt even think about going to story mode till i noticed i unlock some characters....then i go to story mode(an im like........I CANT USE C-STICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!v_v)

Nayib_x3

Smash Cadet
I don't own the game, but the day it came out my friend invited me to play with him.

We started with VS Mode to get a feel on the controls, and then did story mode. I'm not sure if you're game-specific as to Brawl or Melee, but that basically goes for any smash game for me.

If we end up unlocking anybody in VS Mode, great. But most of the characters came from 1P games and bonus levels. So... yeah. Bonus.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
The only character i unlocked without going to the 1-player mode was pichu because at that time i couldn't beat that legendary pokemon event :(

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well if you're talking about Melee it's definetly vs. matches since that's the only way I got some of my charcters such as Mewtwo, but of you're talking about Brawl then it story mode simply because Vs. mode in Brawl isn't as exciting as it was in Melee

ShadowMewtwo

Smash Cadet
i prefer adventure and classic, instead of just vs mode, because it has characters u go againest that arent playable in vs mode and u get trophies to top it off its more challenging and fun

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
i got all my characters through 1 player mode but multiplayer is so better.
Same with me.

Story was good for getting the characters, but versus mode was where the real fun was. The only difficult part in 1P mode was fighting large teams on Very Hard.

But using Samus in Vs. was too much fun to pass up.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
My rule for every video game.

Lke 20 multiplayer matches

Then look at single player

That rule doesnt aply to metal gear solid 4 though ;P

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Versus mode definately.

Story mode was fun for me when I didnt really know all of those ATs of Melee, but when I learned them it made me better and sucked the fun out of Story Mode.

I used to think it was hard and really cool but after a while it gets pretty boring and easy.

Top Bottom