• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Step it up!

D

Deleted member

Id also like you all to know i was gonna name the thread "You all suck" and talk about how bad you all are. But i didnt...

XDDD

Chaco

Never Logs In
Do you play online any more stocky?

If so this weekend your gonna help prep me.

D

Deleted member

Uhh i do, but not with yoshi. I might have time this weekend, no clue, i have a tournament on sunday(my first local tourny in a while).

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright. You can play my extremely rusty Yoshi...then Falcon dittos?

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Edit:
ALSO!!!! I would also like to say a few things

To me the yoshi community feels (for the most part) to just be a bunch of noobs who don't quite understand how the metagame works. Yoshi =/= Metaknight, and the fact that we're using yoshi is a HUGE crutch. The fact is that yoshi ISN'T good, he's just better than where he is (if that makes any sense) and given enough effort (WAY MORE than what is required to be a normal character such as lucario MK snake Wario ect.) yoshi has potential to be a viable character. But we won't be able to prove that until we actually step up our game in place well in tournaments.

that is all

Speaking of which I'm cast in a lead role for a play out here in houston so due to college and rehearsals I'll have a lot less time to attend tournaments :(

I'm going to have to disagree with you when you say Yoshi isn't good. He has great speed, good combo ability, a nice array of KO moves, and, barring an unfortunate footstool, has amazing recovery. The reason he is such a "bad" character is because you can't just pick him up and be good with him in one sitting, it takes dedication.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Furbs to say we are all noobs is very stupid and false thing to say. Maybe you consider yourself a noob but a lot of us me, bwett, mmac, bigman, pride and others have been improving yoshis meta game since we have been on the yoshi boards and we are also proving to our reigion yoshi is good with out a lot of us there would not be a yoshi meta game so do not say we are a bunch of noobs

Edit: there are a few noobs but almost everyone that is a usual poster is not a noob

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
lol, lilb i didn't mean everyone, I know bwett personally and it takes more than a noob to beat d4ba and melee1.

My perspective comes from the stereotype of what is considered the yoshi community. sense theres ALWAYS a thread with some noob saying how great yoshi is.

and no, I don't consider myself a noob at all, I think my results speak for themselves as well as the people I play. Also I have done quite a lot to change many peoples opinions about yoshi, especially in socal (places burntsocks cant go because he's too young :p) and I have had many people say how impressed they are with my yoshi ( DSF, Race, Edrees, The great leon, ect.) and how I have changed their opinions of them.

sorry if you misinterpreted me :)

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
I'm an individual who has stuck with Yoshi since the beginning. When I introduce myself to most smash players, I get that chuckle from them, or the awkward silence followed by, "Really!?" Then after the match they start thinking a little differently.

Tournaments aren't the only way of proving Yoshi's worth. Proving yourself an admirable player to others works as well. The people I play on a regular basis doubted Yoshi at first and still can't grasp how it is possible for someone to control Yoshi that well. However, they can't deny what they see with their own eyes, and they strongly believe that Yoshi deserves higher placement on the tier list.

As for tournaments themselves, location can be a problem. Western Washington is finally getting its first Brawl tournament next weekend, and I'll be there. Hopefully I'll be able to convince a couple more people that Yoshi has merit (as long as Wolfs don't give me any trouble...).

Although the real goal is to just keep improving and not giving up. Earlier this month I was in a Brawl rut. I somehow died against a level one Jigglypuff:ohwell: (don't ask me how it happened, I still don't understand). On top of that, I was getting three stocked by my friends' secondaries. Then something switched back on and I started looking at some videos and thinking about how to play smart. Just like that I started playing better than before and gave my friend something to worry about when he was playing Snake.

Improve yourself and prove your Yoshi to others, even if it means convinces one person at a time of Yoshi's merit.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
True.
I and Marikyoshi I believe got a tourney in sauga Feb.
If we both placed that would rock but I suck :p.
I understand though, I used to be working on a combo thread and I let it die

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
I think I'm good enough to place but I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm planning on attending a university in Oklahoma City in the fall, so I'm really hoping to get into the offline tourney scene.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
yoshi just has a bad rap...

unfortunatley, i have no idea where tournies are (i live near Boston >.>?)
and most yoshi players dont know how to get to tournies/cant get to them. it sucks :/

but, we can all try for the sake of improving his rank! i man, look what my secondary's community has done by getting together and swarming tournies!
i have the same problem, u live in deham O.o thats kinda close to me.

but for those random yoshi's who were said not to know any **** shouldnt be left out, if we are come together as a better community we need to include everyone and help those who have less knowledge/expirence. i would go to a tourny if i wasnt my age. we need to alert yoshi's of more tornies cause alot of ppl dont know where / when they are.

D

Deleted member

Age johns are irrelevent, there are lots of kids who go to tournies(like me), and my parents are super overprotective.
Yoshis, go to the regional zones section of these boards and find tournies.

D

Deleted member

and no, I don't consider myself a noob at all, I think my results speak for themselves as well as the people I play. Also I have done quite a lot to change many peoples opinions about yoshi, especially in socal (places burntsocks cant go because he's too young :p) and I have had many people say how impressed they are with my yoshi ( DSF, Race, Edrees, The great leon, ect.) and how I have changed their opinions of them.
You hear all these people say they are impressed, yet you still lose to dreamhack in tournament... =P
No offense to hack.

**** moves: Burntsocks 2 Furbs 1

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
also these boards could need some organizing i do post but i feel that most of the time i am somewhat ignored, only Silent Beast leaves me a nice comment by the way im surprised he hasnt commented here or at leats give his opinion
Haha, nice, I have only 30-something posts, and someone's requesting (well, indirectly...sort of) my input. Btw, saying I'm the only one to leave you "nice comments" isn't really fair; other people have commented on your videos.

Speaking of which, one way for people to "get off their lazy ***** and get some **** done here" (as bigman put it) is to respond to the videos that people post. Even during "dead periods" when nothing new comes up, people constantly upload videos. Help a fellow Yoshi out by offering comments, critiques, and suggestions, and try to be as specific as possible. For example, instead of posting, "work on your aerials", put something like, "you could have spaced some of your bairs better; you were immediately shield-grabbed out of them."

Even if you don't think you're any good at analyzing matches, give it a shot. You can even just contribute any small thing that you notice. Listen to what other people have to say about those videos. Eventually, you'll be able to see things more easily. This, in turn, will not only help the Yoshis that posted the videos, but it'll also help you analyze your own game, and improve your own play.

edit: i'm sorry about making yoshi look bad on wifi and at tournaments by SD'ing a lot on accident.... i will try my best to do better when i am put under the magnifying glass... =\
No need to apologize for that. Everyone SDs sometimes. The whole point of this thread is to get people to try their best. As long as you were giving it your best shot, no one will have any issue with accidental SDs.

So are all Yoshi mains chosen by destiny to be placed in bad tourney locations before they knew they wanted to play Yoshi? O_o
If I remember correctly, there was a "get Mmac a jetpack" initiative during the summer. I say we revisit that concept.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Haha, nice, I have only 30-something posts, and someone's requesting (well, indirectly...sort of) my input. Btw, saying I'm the only one to leave you "nice comments" isn't really fair; other people have commented on your videos.

Speaking of which, one way for people to "get off their lazy ***** and get some **** done here" (as bigman put it) is to respond to the videos that people post. Even during "dead periods" when nothing new comes up, people constantly upload videos. Help a fellow Yoshi out by offering comments, critiques, and suggestions, and try to be as specific as possible. For example, instead of posting, "work on your aerials", put something like, "you could have spaced some of your bairs better; you were immediately shield-grabbed out of them."

Even if you don't think you're any good at analyzing matches, give it a shot. You can even just contribute any small thing that you notice. Listen to what other people have to say about those videos. Eventually, you'll be able to see things more easily. This, in turn, will not only help the Yoshis that posted the videos, but it'll also help you analyze your own game, and improve your own play..
Thank you Silent and you really do live up to your name its like when you speak
its nothing but the truth and i appreciate that it helps a lot its also good to read you
opinion, but i ment a bit ignored as in other people that i dont know, the ones who have commented are my Friends i know what they think of my Yoshi already and they always provide me Tips and support, but i wanted opinion from other mains...wich is why i said your the only who said something nice to me cause you didnt needed to know me to
tell me some advice ^_^

i also noticed my name is being more spoken of now im getting more challenges
each day and i hope to fight them all and show them my Yoshi is deadly
and some of my videos showing moves has interested people Bwett was one of them i believe, if i keep experimenting Yoshi other moves and some Theories i heard from other mains maybe i can give support, Thats how im going to help you guys
thats how im gonna help the Name of Yoshi

i wont give up on this Dino ^_^

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Age johns are irrelevent, there are lots of kids who go to tournies(like me), and my parents are super overprotective.
Yoshis, go to the regional zones section of these boards and find tournies.
Lol at least I can make it out of pools!

Furbs: 2 Socks: 2

SOVAman

Smash Hero
No johns guys I am young and I still go to tourneys every week or so. Here is advice go to your ****ing region boards find a close tourney and go

Airborne

Smash Lord
well, i think the tutorial series is going to hopefully start helping us all.... it seems like the first video took a step in the right direction and it may contribute to us all "stepping it up".
i think i may want to add the idea of a special video of what to do when you're having a bad brawl day.... it will be short, quick and sweet.....

Metatitan

Smash Master
turns out they have tournaments in moorpark... the town next to me... **** my life i couldve been going to those and i never knew :(

.Marik

is a social misfit
I'm sorry... :(

I appreciate all of your work, people. It means a lot to me, that you're trying so hard. And that I look up to you guys, and because you folks are the reason why I am good with Yoshi.

I apologize that I haven't been able to go to Tournaments, my situtation is kind of... eccentric, and not a lot of people live in Totaltalarianistic Foster/Group homes, that forbid absolutely everything, just because they ****ing can. I mean, I barely see my mother, people, and she's the last person I got.

I don't have a computer, at all. I always go to the library, so I can come online. Plus, I'm always broke as hell.

But... if it makes you guys happy, I'm going to my first Tournament on Saturday, February 21st, which is being held in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

I WON'T LET YOU GUYS DOWN. I WILL TRY MY HARDEST. :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry... :(

I appreciate all of your work, people. It means a lot to me, that you're trying so hard. And that I look up to you guys, and because you folks are the reason why I am good with Yoshi.

I apologize that I haven't been able to go to Tournaments, my situtation is kind of... eccentric, and not a lot of people live in Totaltalarianistic Foster/Group homes, that forbid absolutely everything, just because they ****ing can. I mean, I barely see my mother, people, and she's the last person I got.

I don't have a computer, at all. I always go to the library, so I can come online. Plus, I'm always broke as hell.

But... if it makes you guys happy, I'm going to my first Tournament on Saturday, February 21st, which is being held in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

I WON'T LET YOU GUYS DOWN. I WILL TRY MY HARDEST. :yoshi:
Thats the spirit!

Im not trying to make people feel bad about not being able to go to tournies, if you cant you cant.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
Marik the Best of wishes, not about you going to this tourney but in general my friend
seems you have a hard time, i am Happy enough already that your here just for a little while
thats really all i need, you keep trying your best whenever you can and stay with hopes
it is grateful enough your a yoshi player so dont give up my friend
stay always strong, look up to what you can and have hope smile when you can because your never
alone, so Best of luck dude and go fight for what you believe in

note; i am not talking only about brawl here, do this for your life as well stay strong ^_^
*fight for those who cant* this is what keeps me going find what makes you to continue fighting

Airborne

Smash Lord
uhm, i can't report a tournament if the *******s ban Metaknight, can i? i was pumped up to go dominate some broken circle jerker that wears a mask more often than Vega does.... and he's not even allowed in the tournament..... well, Overswarm and Kel aren't probably going to be there anyways...

Airborne

Smash Lord
No MK whatever just go and have fun it isn't like you use mk. RIGHT???!??!?!
well, i was expecting to face Overswarm or Kel...... they won't be there since MK is banned.... Rowan might not be there b/c he is trying to save his money.... Xisin is borderline going.... Mr. Eric is borderline going... I have no idea if Tactical is going... Hilt is the only known person that's going that's in my league and higher.... what's the fun???

Top Bottom