• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Thread

D

Deleted member

Confirmed match-throwers/riggers:
savior, sangho, upmagic and luxury

Suspected (almost confirmed)
Bisu, Jaedong, Stork, Leta, Movie, Best, Fantasy, and Effort

good thing i'm a flash fan :)

D

Deleted member

according to some reading, bisu tried to throw the match against Yellow in proleague but couldn't do it cuz yellow sucked so bad

Adam M!

Smash Lord
BIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

probably my favorite person in the world next to tom dwan

Lovage

Smash Hero
really interesting article about sc2
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=121769

It disgusts me that every time I see someone on these forums bash down on a flaw in the game, all he’s ever met with is the same generic response: “Yes but Starcraft II is a different game, ’other’ types of micro/whatever might show up in the future as it develops and evolves”.

Who knows, those arguments might hold true, although I personally doubt they will. We’re entirely missing the point arguing in such a way though. Why in the first place should we be accepting that Starcraft II is regressing in to a more primitive form than its predecessor? Isn’t this, after all, the sequel, as opposed to the prequel?
sounds like brawl syndrome to me, poor sc2

Adam M!

Smash Lord
why are people stupid enough to fall into the same trap? one of the greatest games of all-time is just that -- it's not something that can be replicated. it's not goinng to be the same as the original, up to and including competitiveness. SC is where it's at and will always be at

Lovage

Smash Hero
why are people stupid enough to fall into the same trap? one of the greatest games of all-time is just that -- it's not something that can be replicated. it's not goinng to be the same as the original, up to and including competitiveness. SC is where it's at and will always be at
you can't blame people for being hopeful for the future of something they're passionate about

Adam M!

Smash Lord
you can't blame people for being hopeful for the future of something they're passionate about
hahaha, why not?

i can expect people to be hopeful, just like i expect old people to suck at driving, but that doesn't mean i can't blame them when they are in fact hopeful/do suck at driving

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
SC2 is definitely not brawl status. If anything its more like SF4 compared to SF3. People sh.it on sf4 all the time saying its brawled out, but its a much better game than people give it credit for.

Its not as apm heavy as SC1, but it still requires you to have intimate knowledge of the game and all of the same concepts still apply. Dont forget that there are few korean SC2 vids up right now.

Ive been watching vids for a while and just started playing. In the vids it always looked like scouting, expanding, and macro is not as important, but as soon as I started playing it became immediately obvious that the same concepts still apply. If I dont scout banelings they break the front door as terran, or **** the lots (need a sentry). Double gate will tear my *** up if I dont scout and counter (1st zealot from 1st gate usually kills scouting probe).

Play it before dismissing it as "Oh noes different". Remember that Blizzard ENCOURAGES competative gaming, not like ******* sakurai

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
however, it's a brawl that can be patched. even if they are ****ing it up (I'm not convinced just yet), they can always fix it later on. SCBW took a long time to get to the competitive point where it's at now.
Uh... not really. SCBW took two years to get to the point where it is actually. That was when the last balance patch was done, in 2001. The rest is just players improving the metagame gradually over time. It's balance has been perfect for 8 years.

SC2 has inherent flaws in its engine. The best example being the 'moving shot' which was explained extensively in the article posted... so uh, I guess you didn't really read through it. Other examples would be the 3D attack animations and auto-surround. Add all this up and you get a game that has a very low skill ceiling. The game is too clunky and slow. First tier units are useless late game because they are simply under-powered instead of having a specific use. It's like Blizz made all these really cool units and then made the game. It's ****ing stupid.

If Blizzard wants to salvage SC2 they need to gut the engine. Period.

In the meantime... Any of you guys still playing SCBW? Or is that not cool anymore?

pockyD

Smash Legend
two years and like 15-20 balance patches?

yeah, that's a "long time"

what's actually important is that blizzard consistently puts in the effort to do the rebalancing until they're satisfied, which is something they've proven they'll do

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Moving shot would improve the game, but nobody mentions how good hold position micro still is. 3-D attack animations and auto-surround is a very poor excuse for it being a flawed engine, since any modern RTS game will have to improve in these areas or else they're ********. And first tier units definitely arent useless late game, although in your defense many vids ive seen show massings of certain units, such as hydras for zerg, though they did not seem like korean calibur matches.

Youd have a stronger defense if you manage to find some vids of high level korean play, and those vids turn out to be lame. Remember the burden of proof is on the SC2 haters to prove that the game is bad, because blizzard encourages competitive play and we have not fully understood the game (Just including this statement so I dont get 20 "well why dont you show me a vid to prove how GOOD it is!" replies)

And I still play BW. AIM Lime827

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
Blizzard has released nothing but quality games in the past. So yes, burden of proof is on the side of the people who suggest starcraft 2 is a flawed game

Top Bottom