• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh my bad :\. Terran can only camp for so long or else they lose. Trust me, it's protoss who's on the defensive, it just looks like terran is because they build up an army for a long time.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
a lot of terran gameplay relies on setup...they have to use their units effectively via restricting the other players' options and resources. A well-crafted push and contain will be hard for most to break, and the terran can also alter their build based on what they spot with comsat, etc.

I still can't seem to play it right though lol, I switched to toss and have been having a much easier time with things.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
nope, i'm not good at all.

trust me.

I was actually thinking about asking someone to critique a replay I have, but...I need to play and actually save one first, LOL

Mith_

Smash Champion
should i even try getting into this game? i wanted to play another online game but i dont wanna ****ing level my warcraft main to level 80 because i am a lazy loser. i was thinking either this, team fortress or command and conquer.

yes i know all of the opinions in here will be biased but i want them anyways.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
the learning curve for starcraft is incredibly steep and frustrating, but once you start getting OK at it, I've found it really rewarding. then again, I've hit another wall with it, so I'm frustrated with it again, but I dunno, it's a great game and if you enjoy the idea of RTS, it's definitely the cream of the crop.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Plank I can play now! I haven't played in a long time so like, I'll be rusty. But no johns right? I actually hate taking smash lingo and applying it to SC, makes me feel bad.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
well we finally played. We played 3 (all on python) I won all 3. The games went like this:

Game 1: I do a 2 fac build, it kind of flops, but I manage to keep my units in good shape, and delay his counter attack with mines. I immediately get an expo, and while I do that I put on fake aggression by semi-hard pushing, I guess he fell for it. I get another expo and soft push my way in, and just macro my way a victory.

Game 2: Very standard 1 fac expo, into a "flash" build where I get 1-0 ups and push with 124-130 supply soft push style. He crumbles to that.

Game 3: He gasses me, but I was gonna do bio anyways, so I build 2 rax and rush him with 5 rines and 3 scvs and I camp outside his base with 1 bunker and turrets. He goes dt's, almost kills the camp, but I repair it till I have scan. The game continues in this fashion, but eventually I expo up and switch to mechs, and eventually won.

GG's all around it was fun to play again.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It's definitely a lot more complex then smash, but it's not too bad. I am sure you were confused about smash terminology at first, this is no different. Soft pushing is just attacking as terran without building any turrets/supply depots or anything else while doing so. Hard pushing is when you do build those things while attacking. Push = terran attack because it's direct because you have to siege up every time. It's a very rewarding game when you get good at it, because the feeling of a win is way better than most games.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
definitely, the feeling that you beat the best your opponent can offer is always a fun experience to have. Knowing that your strategy and unit control is better than your opponent and then being able to learn how to do even better is just a great feeling, it's like the first time you learned to space a shine spike against fox's up b, etc.

it's just something that takes practice.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol that's a really bad comparison =D. Sorry I just hate when people compare SC to smash, because there really is no comparison... Smash sucks :\.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Lol that's a really bad comparison =D. Sorry I just hate when people compare SC to smash, because there really is no comparison... Smash sucks :\.

I haven't played SC in a while because of smash. Although, my gaming appetite comes in phases. I zoned out of RTS a month or two ago, I guess.

Do you guys think SC2 is going to end up being Warcraft in space? I'm sure It'll be good no matter what (I mean, hey, it's Blizzard), but will it be anything at all like the original?

I'm mostly psyched about the new Scenario Editor. I heard it's going to be pretty godly.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
heehee, I thought it was kinda fitting though...

only because skill in both comes from a lot of playing and practicing the fundamentals? :ohwell:

I hope they can make sc2 a worthy successor to brood war, I know there will be balance issues in the beginning of the game's life, and I can't really judge the game without having played it first....all I can say is that hopefully it does live up to the expectations people have for it.

sevenmorehills

Smash Cadet
Noob question:
can someone explain to me what the letter grades mean? i looked at the multiplayer options and i still don't understand :(

sevenmorehills

Smash Cadet
sorry to ask so many questions, but can someone help me?
I downloaded some maps but I am horrible with computers and don't know how to play them through the game. I feel so dumb

JFox

Smash Hero
I'd mm you in craft, JFox
JFox doesn't play starcraft, just watches.

Jaedong on the other hand would love to **** you. I'll work my magic and hook u up with a money match.

oh btw he says his minimum is 200 american dollars. thats cool wit u right?:)

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Jaedong and Oz doing pretty bad these days. I was doing pretty well in the TL fantasy proleague before that (1st in the first two weeks) bot now meh :ohwell:

On another note, I've started playing again SC after a long hiatus. I'm trying to be back in shape but I would glady play any of you guys that are playing these days.

I'm usually on East or Iccup (both CynanMachae) in the channels Op gitp (east) or gitp/op irc (iccup).

On the subject of Battle Royal, yea. I knew it was totally imba for Z but I saw the TLPD stats yesterday and was pretty shocked. It's THAT bad.

Top Bottom