• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Let's have a tournament next weekend. Limit 32 players, single elimination, signups end after Friday, March 11th, EST (or on Friday 9PM PST). Map pool will be TSL3's which are:
Crevasse
Crossfire SE
Shakuras Plateau
Tal'Darim Altar
Xel'Naga Caverns
Metalopolis
Terminus RE
Scrap Station

To sign up, provide name+character code, race, and which map you dislike the most.
The three least favored maps will be removed from the final map pool.

This time around I'll just put up a bracket on the front page (updating as often as I can) and people will be expected to play their matches as soon as possible. Seeding will be based on ladder ranking, while future tournaments I host will be based on past placements, with newcomers being last seeds.

Matches played will be best of 3, with the first map pre-selected based on round, and loser selecting next map; finals match will be best of 5.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Blah, I wanted to, but I haven't played on the new maps yet and I'm really rusty lol so I'll wait a bit to decide.

/pointlesspost

Roman.

Smash Champion
fycROMAN.268
zerg
Crossfire SE

my hotkeys:

1 all hatches
2 all queens
3 scout/infestors/mutas
4 main army
5 infestors/corruptors and broodlords/mutas
6 overlord around their natural
7 unused
8 unused
9 nydus
0 overseer

and i use the backspace method (changed it to the ~ key though) but it can **** you up if you don't have a queen at each base and you rush through and **** things up but i use backspace to move around faster, not just injects

sanguinity

Smash Rookie
I use 5 for all hatches, 6 for all queens next to hatches, 7 for non-hatch queens, 8 for overseer, 9 for creep tumors

1-4 for my different army units. Usually something like 1muta 2ling 3bling 4infestor or 1roach2hydra3corruptor

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll play!

Name: Alt
CharCode: 358
Race: Zerg

I don't know about half of those maps. So no opinion on them. Unless one of them is super pro-Terran, in which case BAN THAT ONE!

I haven't played since December, so this'll be fun. If anyone wants to practice beforehand, too, feel free to post.

vrud

Smash Apprentice
ill play ^^ Name: AllYourBase CharCode: 445 Race : Terran and least favorite map: Scrap

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I find it best to put all your hatches on 1 hotkey and all queens on one hotkey. just rally drones to ur expo from both bases. Sending half ur workers when your zerg is ********, cuz they gotta travel that distance anyways.

when you need to larva inject. You just hit your hotkeys for hatch, then hit queen hotkey (closest one will cast larvae), Then hit backspace to go to the next hatchery, rinse repeat.

no sense in having all these different hotkeys for queens or hatcheries. Unless for some reason you very oftenly have rally points going in like 4-5 different directions.

(I'm willing to bet atleast one person who reads this didn't know backspace jumps between hatches)
Backspace is kind of far for me. I have tried it though, I don't want to change any of the keyboard hotkeys (such as making backspace on my mouse). The reason for doing:

4: all hatches
5: queen
6.queen
7.queen

Is it lets you see the energy on each individual queen. I'm pretty sure if you do:

4: All Queens
5. hatch
6. hatch

That it does the same thing except you see the larvae bar. Technically though, you would only need to see this for the main hatch if you have a good rhythm going.

Edit:

I'm curious to where you guys rest your left hand when playing. I was watching Destiny's stream and he mentioned he leaves his hand on the number keys. That feels really weird to me after all the wasd moving games I've played.

Roman.

Smash Champion
i'm used to wc3 and wow so i always have my fingers on tab, 2, 3, 5, and my thumb on b or spacebar

edit: and personally it's faster for me to hit ~ (my backspace) and see if i need to cast larva then look for the energy on a control grouped queen... also i find it to disrupt my flow to have to use 567 constantly (assuming you want to keep up with your larva)

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
i'm used to wc3 and wow so i always have my fingers on tab, 2, 3, 5, and my thumb on b or spacebar
i tried putting my fingers like this and it feels really comfortable

there should be like a "homerow" asdf jkl; position for SC

Overswarm

is laughing at you
i tried putting my fingers like this and it feels really comfortable

there should be like a "homerow" asdf jkl; position for SC
There is. It is called Grid hotkeys. :B

I don't use 'em. I just make the "metal" sign with my hand when playing Z, with my ring and middle finger on S & D, index finger ready to go to B.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)

edit: and personally it's faster for me to hit ~ (my backspace) and see if i need to cast larva then look for the energy on a control grouped queen... also i find it to disrupt my flow to have to use 567 constantly (assuming you want to keep up with your larva)
I guess I'm going to have to practice having my fingers on the number keys instead. Roman, when you have to hit say 1sd, do you just move your whole hand down to press s and d?

I'm fine with 55,66,77 as you can just leave your thumb on v and it's fine for being fast. I constantly have trouble with linking and unlinking stuff with my hotkeys though, so I need to practice that a bit. (I often accidentally put mutas with main, or put stuff in with my hatches, etc. I should just take the extra second and get it right heh.

I'm going to go back to yabot and practice some build ordering and get myself back into this game. I'm actually disappointed in myself for not getting diamond before I faded out.

Roman.

Smash Champion
ya i bring my hand down for 1sd

also for your control groups, i personally use like my palm for ctrl and pinky for shift and usually don't put units where they shouldn't be but i know what you're talking about it, it happens... the thing i love for that is using ctrl+shift to get rid of a certain group of units from a control group

also if you ask me, you should just ladder and get better overall to diamond once you have a foundation (which i'm pretty sure you do) for early game... zerg is mostly reactionary so having a precise build order (unless it's cheese like roach rush or baneling bust) past getting your scouting information is really unnecessary especially for zerg4sd

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i hit 4sd and just bring my ring and middle finger down to hit sd

also for your control groups, i personally use like my palm for ctrl and pinky for shift and usually don't put units where they shouldn't be but i know what you're talking about it, it happens... the thing i love for that is using ctrl+shift to get rid of a certain group of units from a control group

also if you ask me, you should just ladder and get better overall to diamond once you have a foundation (which i'm pretty sure you do) for early game... zerg is mostly reactionary so having a precise build order (unless it's cheese like roach rush or baneling bust) past getting your scouting information is really unnecessary especially for zerg
Oh I totally agree, just disagree on your "foundation". I haven't played in a while so I just want to warm up my 1-22 supply BOs. I probably wouldn't practice it very long. Just enough to be able to recognize the timings again.

I think I might start streaming for the luls (mainly sc2 and LoL) so people can watch hopefully give tips instead of raging about how bad I am.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
2 Terran 0 Protoss 4 Zerg 0 Random

1. S.O.L.I.D. // Solid.414
  2. vrud // AllYourBase.445
  3. ArcNatural // ArcNatural.328
  4. AltF4 // Alt.358
  5. Roman. // fycROMAN.268
  6. TheYoster // YellowYoster.807
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -

• Registration ends after Friday, March 11, 11:59 PM EST
  • Provide your character name and character code, race, and which map from the map pool (below) that you dislike the most.
  • The three least favored maps will be removed from the final map pool.

Rules:
  • Best of 3
  • Finals are best of 5
  • Single elimination
  • First game will be played on the specified map for the round
  • Loser of previous game selects map for next game
  • You may not select a map you have already won on in a given set
  • Players must stay their designated race

Map Pool:
  • Crevasse (1 vote)
  • Crossfire SE (3 votes)
  • Shakuras Plateau
  • Tal'Darim Altar
  • Xel'Naga Caverns
  • Metalopolis
  • Terminus RE
  • Scrap Station (1 vote)

Omni

BRoomer
Likewise. I would loooooooove to spectate.

Okay so I feel like I've completely mastered the 1/1/1 build (yes, that's all I've been training in YABOT mode). I'm able to start my Starport (Factory just finished) on average of 4:28. Is that a good time? Are there any videos of "ASAP Build Orders"?

From here on out I feel like my build order should change depending on which race I'm facing so....

From exactly around 4:28 when my Starport is on its way, what are some of the best routes to go depending on the race?

FYI, the 1/1/1 goes:

10 Supply Depot
12 Barracks
13 Refinery
15 Orb Command
15 Marine
16 Supply Depot
17 Refinery
18 Factory
22 Starport (in process of being built @ 4:30)

And by the time I'm done I usually have 11-12 workers, 3-4 marines, and 1 M.U.L.E.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yet Another Build Order Tester. Look it up, it should be in the custom games listings.

Omni how the hell do you only have 11-12 workers? You should have 15 when you start morphing your Orbital.

Omni

BRoomer
o.O I have no idea. When I did the YABOT thing it said "Workers: 12". Lol. I'm constantly pushing out SCV's tho' so I'unno...

@Overswarm: YABOT is the truth. Just think of it as a simulator for build orders that keep track of... everything. IMO, it's very good for practicing build orders or discovering new ones. And since you can reset it so easily it's great for just practicing against the computer or just anything in general. I look at it as an awesome practice/training mode.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
1/1/1 is great that you can transition into a lot of things. If you want to work on drops you can maybe expand behind a marine drop while adding another barracks and tech lab for stim +maruader drops.

Or you can marine drop while going into main with 4 hellions at the same time.

1 port banshee with cloak

List goes on. I don't play terran so.

Omni

BRoomer
Well as Zerg, what are some deadly pushes on to you guys? I would think:

- Helion Blue Flame w/Marine drops would suck. Roaches would defend well against this, tho'.
- MMM w/Stim. Speedling/banelings would do well against, tho' (unless I had gdlk micro).

I guess really at this point my build should be based on what I see (or don't see) in my opponent's base.

Which means I need to scout and see what they have.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Stim is amazing. There's a reason they're raising the research time by 30 seconds on the PTR.

Generally Terran (vs Zerg) ends up tending toward Marine/Tank play with Marauders and Medivacs, and occasionally Thors, mixed in.

And yes, you should always be scouting. Map intel/control plays a significant factor throughout the game.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If you can scout and react well, you can beat anyone in bronze.

In regards to builds that are good vs Zerg, 2 rax is nice for early pressure and allows a relatively easy expansion. I like marauder hellion also. Reactored factory and two tech labbed barracks. Pure speedling beats it, but you can normally do a lot of damage. Then you can switch one of the barracks with the factory and make marines and tanks as well as get an expo.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well as Zerg, what are some deadly pushes on to you guys? I would think:

- Helion Blue Flame w/Marine drops would suck. Roaches would defend well against this, tho'.
- MMM w/Stim. Speedling/banelings would do well against, tho' (unless I had gdlk micro).

I guess really at this point my build should be based on what I see (or don't see) in my opponent's base.

Which means I need to scout and see what they have.
Constant SCV production
build depot at 10
build rax, then another rax (orbital asap)
build two refineries when you have the cash, don't sacrifice marine production
Make marines and scvs til about 27 supply. Attack.
The moment you can, build a factory. Then build another one.
Tech lab on first factory, get blue hellion upgrade asap.
Continue making marines, and also make hellions. Push again with blue flame hellions and marines.
Get siege mode while attacking.
Make siege tanks, hellions, and marines from two rax. Build a CC.
Attack again.

That one I hate.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not certain if you can keep up constant SCV and unit production on 2 rax and 2 fac from 1 base. At the very least, you'd have to cut army for some time in order to get the CC down.

Omni

BRoomer
so at around 4:30, what are some things that i can be seeing from Zerg, Protoss, (and I guess yea Terran)

and what are some appropriate responses

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You're better off playing real people and learning for yourself, really.

Omni

BRoomer
that's not how my brain works. the way play most video games i do the most amount of non-thinking as possible. by that i mean everything regarding my opening game, my initial attack, responding, etc. is already pre-planned. my brain process goes:

im terran. he's zerg.
i did a 1/1/1 opening. it's 4:30.
if he has a roach warren, im going this.
if he has a banelings nest, im going this.
if he has two hatcheries, im going this.
if he has, etc, etc.

so i want to have preset routes i can go based on casual checks so when i transition it feels normal and practiced (which it will be practiced).

since 1/1/1 is going to be my first build i'mma master i kinda wanna know the best way to respond to zerg/protoss/terran based on the fact that i went 1/1/1

i know it sounds weird, but that's how my brain processes.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I will recommend right now that you learn something different if you want everything to be set in stone. Trying to "master" the perfect response to every opponent while beginning from the most open-ended build that Terran has is not going to work out. Hell, I don't think even pro players can get an impressive success rate at it, considering at a certain point people learn how to hide tech. Besides, you're Terran. If you're not the one setting the pace, you're either playing TvT or letting your opponent get away with anything.

Roman.

Smash Champion
instead of mastering builds, you need to learn to just understand how the game works so you will always know what you can build to be most optimal in every situation

i say this because if you get early harassed/early pushed, you're going to be lost when you're just trying to follow a step by step build order and playing other people a lot like ankoku said is the best

reacting to your first scout would be best (like 2 rax vs a hatch first) and just periodically scouting when you have the opportunity to always know what's going on

_Dice

Smash Ace
a little advice to OMNI.

as a terran player, your goal tends to be to force the direction of the game how you want, and then respond in advance to their play.

VS Zerg Terrans tend to open up with 2 barracks makign marines, sending a few 2 or 3 SCVs make a bunker up against their fast expand and keep reinforcing with marines, do this until A. they stop the bunker building, B. you kill the fast expand, C. they are about to get zergling speed.

this forces them into either roaches, or alot fewer drones than they want to. which allows you to be building an expansion as well as teching to siege tanks. then you expand with your tanks and can do a quick pressure on their expansion again with siege tank marine, and then you are retreating as their spire is finishing. get more tanks, marines, and a few thors and turrets, take another base and push again.

the whole time forcing zerg from drone to zergling to speed or roach to mutalisks and banelings. all instead of expanding even more and controlling you.

VS Protoss Terran tends to get a little early marine marauder pressure, and leave when too many sentries come up, and then get marauder marine medivac which forces collosus, and you get vikings and do drops everywhere. while trying to pick off collosus and keep protoss defending. and when he has few or no collosus left, you strike and try to rprevent him from ever getting his army back ever again.

Build order is less important than this constant state of pressure and reaction that terran uses to win.

Top Bottom