• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I should probably mention that I only use this strategy in 2v2. My teammate techs straight to Stalkers to keeps our base free of Reaper and Mutalisk harassment. I can tech to DTs in peace. It works so well. It works extra well if my teammate hits the front door the same time I go for the economy.
What div are you in 2's? Unless you are playing on twilight fortress this strat will get ***** by any kind of early aggression.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Rubyiris.noobyiris

Add me. I need people to practice with. I'm stuck in bronze league and I want to get better. :C

SloT

Smash Journeyman
well they didnt even have a release date until the game was already finished and more than a month into the open beta.
So I can almost say with certainty that Blizzard feels confident that though the game needs patching (as it continually did in Brood War) It's going to be ready for release within that time frame. Im pretty sure they wont change the release date.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I'm in, Zzgashi.zzgashi and i suck b(^-^)>

Rubyiris.noobyiris

Add me. I need people to practice with. I'm stuck in bronze league and I want to get better. :C
lol me too, we could practice sometime if ya want ;D

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
well they didnt even have a release date until the game was already finished and more than a month into the open beta.
So I can almost say with certainty that Blizzard feels confident that though the game needs patching (as it continually did in Brood War) It's going to be ready for release within that time frame. Im pretty sure they wont change the release date.
broodwars last balance patch was in 2001. :3

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I should probably mention that I only use this strategy in 2v2. My teammate techs straight to Stalkers to keeps our base free of Reaper and Mutalisk harassment. I can tech to DTs in peace. It works so well. It works extra well if my teammate hits the front door the same time I go for the economy.
But how does he beat the 2:40 Reaper cheese?

I know that I always go for the gas lines first just to keep the counter units from getting out.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
what's your guys opinion on macro in sc2?
on teamliquid they say that you can reach platinum easily just by macroing really well during the game

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Platinum is fairly easy to get into if you have a good grasp on macro for the beta. I anticipate it will become a lot harder to reach platinum once the official game is out, but at the moment, not so much. However, to be a top level platinum, you actually need to have the really refined macro, micro and builds.

Any whos, I'm Stickle.flippyfloppy on battlenet.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The Reaper can come out like 30 seconds before a Stalker can feasibly come out if both build perfectly. The Reaper is incredibly cruel to Protoss.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The Reaper can come out like 30 seconds before a Stalker can feasibly come out if both build perfectly. The Reaper is incredibly cruel to Protoss.
Yeah, and usually 'toss don't fasttech to stalker unless they scout the raxx. And if you don't have multiple pylons up, he'll probably get rid of your power source before you can get the Reaper out on reaction.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=121769

For those that haven't read or seen it yet, any thoughts?
I've read that before. I was never a pro player in SC1, but frankly, I think the article is nonsense. SC2 has excellent balance so far, and it is incredibly deep without all the SC1-style micro. I like the focus on building the right units at the right time and making tactical strikes on poorly defended outposts. Frankly, I hate the whole use-one-unit-to-kill-twelve-units micro action (unless the unit is designed that way like the Dark Templar who explicitly seeks to avoid detectors).

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Nony made some good rebuttals against that.

There is still an incredible amount of multi-tasking and organizing you have to do in SC2, and pretty much the biggest issue that the post makes is that air micro is not that good, which can probably be fixed, if need be.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
^multitasking and things that made micro worthwhile in sc1 are kind of different
blizzard has been removing all of the micro intensive units like reavers/arbiters/defilers/vessels/vultures

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The only change I really don't like from SC1 to SC2 is the lack of caster diversity for Zerg. It's pretty much Infestor or bust.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
hmmm... sounds strangely familiar...

melee and brawl anyone?
I was actually thinking this while typing out my argument. While it is a funny parallel to make, I could type for hours how the comparison doesn't work here. :p

^multitasking and things that made micro worthwhile in sc1 are kind of different
blizzard has been removing all of the micro intensive units like reavers/arbiters/defilers/vessels/vultures
Reapers, Zerglings, Dark Templar, Thor drops from Medivac, etc. are enough for me.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I've read that before. I was never a pro player in SC1, but frankly, I think the article is nonsense. SC2 has excellent balance so far, and it is incredibly deep without all the SC1-style micro. I like the focus on building the right units at the right time and making tactical strikes on poorly defended outposts. Frankly, I hate the whole use-one-unit-to-kill-twelve-units micro action (unless the unit is designed that way like the Dark Templar who explicitly seeks to avoid detectors).
Incredibly deep? What game are you playing? SC2 right now is pretty much just A-moving blobs into each other while occasionally casting a few spells. The focus of building the right counter units makes the game extremely bland because everything is so heavily reliant on counters. You are overestimating the amount of strategy required in SC2. Once in awhile you can position yourself at a choke for an advantage in positioning but if the other person has the appropriate counter it's all pointless.

Also I think its funny how you hate the one unit kills twelve unit micro when immortals, rauders, roaches, can pretty much do the same thing to other armored units by just by A-moving instead.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
You clearly have not watched any high-level SC2 play. Playing with your army in a ball is a sure fire way to end up on the wrong end of an engagement.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
You clearly have not watched any high-level SC2 play. Playing with your army in a ball is a sure fire way to end up on the wrong end of an engagement.
Ill admit I haven't watched anything in the last month because the games just boring to watch in general. Ill try and watch a few more and maybe things have drastically changed with the new big content patch.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Incredibly deep? What game are you playing? SC2 right now is pretty much just A-moving blobs into each other while occasionally casting a few spells. The focus of building the right counter units makes the game extremely bland because everything is so heavily reliant on counters. You are overestimating the amount of strategy required in SC2. Once in awhile you can position yourself at a choke for an advantage in positioning but if the other person has the appropriate counter it's all pointless.

Also I think its funny how you hate the one unit kills twelve unit micro when immortals, rauders, roaches, can pretty much do the same thing to other armored units by just by A-moving instead.

Yeah, you do that. Send out A-moving blobs and see how long you last. If you're winning with that strategy, you're playing really bad players. Focus fire alone can win small skirmishes.

Also, your example of sending out those particular units is stupid. Of course particularly hard counter units can win with simple A-moving, but if they fight their own kind, they better be micro'd, or they will lose.

Have you seen any pro Stalker micro? Blink is your friend. Again, SC2 has tons of micro. You're playing bad people if you can win with A-moving blobs. I'm not sure why everyone is crying over the loss of moving shots and whatnot.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Yeah, you do that. Send out A-moving blobs and see how long you last. If you're winning with that strategy, you're playing really bad players. Focus fire alone can win small skirmishes.

Also, your example of sending out those particular units is stupid. Of course particularly hard counter units can win with simple A-moving, but if they fight their own kind, they better be micro'd, or they will lose.

Have you seen any pro Stalker micro? Blink is your friend. Again, SC2 has tons of micro. You're playing bad people if you can win with A-moving blobs. I'm not sure why everyone is crying over the loss of moving shots and whatnot.
lol I find it rather ironic you state im playing bad people when you try and give your failure 2v2 strat of teching straight to DT's with stalker protection. lol I'm still laughing about it.

(sigh) I was obviously being overly dramatic when I was talking about a-moving units to victory but beyond that I don't even understand how you could correlate that with a strategy? Micro mechanics does not equal strategy so nice try on that one.

And your example wasn't stupid? Atleast mine actually involved knowledge of the game I was talking about.

Blinking stalkers isn't tons of micro. Of course there are those few key units that actually require micro to be used effectively. (Reapers, sents, helions to a lesser extent come to mind). The problem with this is that every unit in BW required micro to be used effectively. Thats tons of micro.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
(sigh) I was obviously being overly dramatic when I was talking about a-moving units to victory but beyond that I don't even understand how you could correlate that with a strategy? Micro mechanics does not equal strategy so nice try on that one.
>_> I don't think Buzz was saying that intense micro was the end-all, be-all strategy Bright. I think he was just saying that there's more to an RTS (specifically, this one) than that. Does everything have to be a conflict with you, bro?

Anyway, I have one of these:

I use it for WoW. Excellent tool for managing my movement (at least strafing, moonwalking, and jumping), my action bars (macros and abilities), etc. I can set this thing up to map any button on a given keyboard. What is everyone's thoughts on using a peripheral like this for Starcraft 2?

Smooth Criminal

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
The thing with saying that micro is not important anymore and moving blobs around is enough if you have the right composition is midly true, only considering that the SC2 players right now are REALLY bad (myself included). I'm talking of all leagues, only exception would maybe be the top of the top of platinum. 95% of the people laddering are only cheesing and doing all-ins right now, which isn't that hard to do.

I do miss stuff like muta micro tho. There is regular micro with focus firing, reaper harass, etc, but specific micro that required some specific kind of actions is quite absent.

About the DT rushing in 2v2s, I've been doing it a bit, but it mostly works against Ts, because even if you fail to do any damage, the amount of map control it gives you let your team expo all over the map. But I've mostly been doing standard builds and managed to get like rank 3-4 plat with a 1v1 bronze/silver ally o.o

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
lol I find it rather ironic you state im playing bad people when you try and give your failure 2v2 strat of teching straight to DT's with stalker protection. lol I'm still laughing about it.
I suppose all my victories are figments of my imagination.

Um, micro is part of strategy. Anything you do to help you win is part of good strategy. Why would think it is not?

And your example wasn't stupid? Atleast mine actually involved knowledge of the game I was talking about.
You're right. I don't know anything about the game. I hire someone else to play on my account to get that Platinum rank. ... Honestly, I think you've switched on the blind hatred at this point. You're not making any sense whatsoever. You are making outlandish claims that the game is "so easy" can "can be won with simple A-moving blobs" and then say it relates to your awesome "knowledge of the game"?

Blinking stalkers isn't tons of micro. Of course there are those few key units that actually require micro to be used effectively. (Reapers, sents, helions to a lesser extent come to mind). The problem with this is that every unit in BW required micro to be used effectively. Thats tons of micro.
This coming from the guy who said he hasn't watched many pro videos at all... What rank are you again? Did you even read my posts? Or are you just hellbent on SC2 failing overall?

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
>_> I don't think Buzz was saying that intense micro was the end-all, be-all strategy Bright. I think he was just saying that there's more to an RTS (specifically, this one) than that. Does everything have to be a conflict with you, bro?
Conflicts are funnier and more interesting then talking like boring civilized people. But I see your point so I guess I can drop it for now...

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I suppose all my victories are figments of my imagination.
Or you could be playing bad people??? lulz

Um, micro is part of strategy. Anything you do to help you win is part of good strategy. Why would think it is not?
I was talking about general micro mechanics and the lack there off. This isn't a discussion about the games overall strategy depth because then it would become a cluster of us talking about scouting, macro, openings, etc.

You're right. I don't know anything about the game. I hire someone else to play on my account to get that Platinum rank. ... Honestly, I think you've switched on the blind hatred at this point. You're not making any sense whatsoever. You are making outlandish claims that the game is "so easy" can "can be won with simple A-moving blobs" and then say it relates to your awesome "knowledge of the game"?
I never once said things such as "It's so easy" or w/e. Like I stated earlier all I was talking about was the micro mechanics and you jump on my **** for things you misinterpreted. Of course the game still requires a lot of multi-tasking, macro, and all that other juicy stuff that makes it difficult.

This coming from the guy who said he hasn't watched many pro videos at all... What rank are you again? Did you even read my posts? Or are you just hellbent on SC2 failing overall?
I said "In the last month". If you really want to know before the 2nd reset I was plat and my ELO was around 2500 (woops typo) if I recall correctly. I know, not exactly impressive but I spent most of the time playing custom games with people I knew anyways. Currently I actually just played my placement matches over again and the prospect of starting back at plat 1000 is just tiresome.

I actually do want the game to succeed but in it's current state im just getting way to many brawl vibes. It's unnerving.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Trust me, SC2 is far from Brawl. At least they're aren't actively trying to make it as un-competitive of a game as possible, so that already puts it on top of Brawl.

But, yes, maybe the micro isn't quite as intense, but, there is still plenty of instances where you have to be careful with it. Phoenixes, Colossi (especially with drops, which seem to be not utilized that much at the moment), Ghosts, Sentries, Immortals (to make sure they're actually shooting against something useful), and Templar. I dunno much about Zerg units, so I'm sure there's some stuff in there as well.

There could be a wealth of unit ability combinations that haven't been really explored yet either. So, we'll have to see.

Anyway, the great thing of SC2 is that it can be patched and changed to get micro, if it really needs to.

Top Bottom